What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Listened to 1976's best horror film score. No not the Omen. Pino Donaggio's Carrie. 

Incidentally Carrie is a better film than the omen.

Just gave myself one more spin with Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. Now it goes back on the shelf until I get the new one.

The Search for Spock I can listen to all I want. :) (So it's kind of like 1991 again when GNP put out III before II on CD.)

Michael Kamen - Die Hard 2 (Varese Deluxe main program)

Well, no matter how hard I try, I cannot get into this score as much as I am into Die Hard 1 and 3, both of which I love.  Maybe I need to revisit the film.  There is some great action music here for sure though, like "Fight on the Wing".  Wow!

Alan Silvestri - Predator 2 (Varese Deluxe main program)

Yeaaaaaa now this is more like it!  Absolutely love this score from the first cue to the last.  Just fantastic action and suspense writing.  I've listened to it more than the first score, which I also like a lot

"I AM LEGEND".

I love that "almost rejected" score from James Newton Howard. I class this kind of soundtracks in the "inspirational" category, like "Lady in the water".

R-3511167-1333353467.jpeg.jpg

I love Levay. My colleague's walkthrough of his career recently spurred me to relisten to this classic (that I have fond memories of seeing on VHS back when it was new and fresh -- yes, I'm THAT old). As with HOT SHOTS!, the Faltermeyer influence is all over this, but in a good way. Beautiful sequencer-led tracks, and heroic fanfares in the style of Silvestri's THE DELTA FORCE. Beautiful mix of synths and orchestra.

ab67616d0000b2732be9a996a88b77d8ccc1d8cf

I wish Danish videogame composer extraordinaire Jesper Kyd did more of this (a 2014 game) -- beautiful synth/synthwave that paints in broad strokes rather than the often bland orchestral music he does. Album is obviously too long at 1 hour and 50 minutes, but one can make one's own playlist here.

12 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

My brother really likes this game. I think he played all of the games in the franchise.

Cool. I have no idea what the game is about. With the exception of FIFA and some Telltale games, I basically stopped gaming in the 90s.

:music: Wonder Woman 1984. I'm enjoying this album very much. It's not all gold and some of the grandiose melodramatic cues towards the end are bit much but the sheer majority of it is really entertaining. Long-lined themes, remember those? I think that Diana/Trevor love theme might just be one of Hans' prettiest inventions. 

Karol

WW84 is a great return to Zimmer's early 2000's score like Gladiator. Really glad he did it at least one thing was good in that movie

Hook (Concord set) by John Williams

Beautiful but incomplete...

Help me LLL, you're my only hope

ab67616d0000b2731c649e8a3c365436691a4f05

What an amazing talent Hyldgaard was, one of the best composers that Scandinavia ever spawned. And how tragic that we lost him way too early. This gorgeous compilation is a testament to his varied and engrossing output - from noir-ish stuff to fullbodied, orchestral adventure.

On 8/5/2021 at 10:29 AM, AC1 said:

I vividly remember Gruesome going through a Sabrina phase. But maybe it was someone else. Jay is right, my memory can't be trusted.

Maybe he did, but it was Bespin who I remember fell head over heels for the score.

On 8/7/2021 at 12:38 AM, crocodile said:

:music: Wonder Woman 1984. I'm enjoying this album very much. It's not all gold and some of the grandiose melodramatic cues towards the end are bit much but the sheer majority of it is really entertaining. Long-lined themes, remember those? I think that Diana/Trevor love theme might just be one of Hans' prettiest inventions. 

Karol

This thread is convincing me to listen to the OST. I don't remember anything remarkable about the music while watching the movie.

124859.jpg

First impressions? It sounds like the Randy Newman you have always known. It's like going back to the '80s (Randy Newman-wise) in a time machine. 

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

First impressions? It sounds like the Randy Newman you have always known. It's like going back to the '80s (Randy Newman-wise) in a time machine. 

Indeed. But in a good way.

the-history-of-eternity.jpg

Needed to calm down a bit after the Berlin concert debacle. This is perfect. My review of the score is here, btw.

I adore this playlist made using the two Roy Budd CD I purchased recently.

I just listened his "Phantom of the Opera" score he wrote in 1993 for the 1925 film, just before he died at 46 yo of a brain Hemmorghia.

I have the feeling this composer died way too young and before having the time to say his last word.

image.png

Schinder's List, Memoirs of a Geisha and Seven Years in Tibet are for me an unseparable trio.

They are fine and fabulous collaborations with violinist Itzhak Perlman and cellist Yo-Yo Ma.

ab67616d0000b2732280284d796130fd2206dd1e

A collision of geographies -- Eastern-European cembalom meets twangy Americana meets Scandinavian melancholy meets French accordions. It's very fitting that Thomas Newman scored the remake of this film, since it's very much in his ballpark, but I think ultimately I prefer this original Söderqvist more. The Söderqvist/Bier collaboration is vastly underrated.

ab67616d0000b273925ff9b55b468b6b5d49ab71

I've listened to this all but twice since I got it (in digital format -- still need to purchase on CD), and it's firmly in line with his earlier theatre work  (JUAN DARIEN, THE GREEN BIRD etc.) -- perhaps with shades of something like THE BUTCHER BOY. Skewed Boulevard-type music with accordions, glass harmonicas, bass guitars, sax and other eclectic contents.

ab67616d0000b2732c0e5748b35a091b5a8e4766

I love how the opening theme sounds like a precursor to THE ONEDIN LINE. It's a fine score, but a little scatterbrained over the course of 63 minutes. It's always been in my "second-tier" list of Waxman titles.

21 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Seven Years in Tibet. I listen to it quite rarely but boy is it gorgeous or what? At times grand, at times intimate. It is a masterpiece. It's only a shame I got this as a birthday present from my mum and had a really bad flu at the moment so every time I hear this magnificent music it makes me slightly feverish! 😂 

Karol

Such a boring title though. Hard to get excited saying aloud ‘I’m listening to Seven Years in Tibet today!’.

Let’s refer to it as The Terror of Tibet. Or Tentacled Tyrants from Tibet. Seven Lesbian Werewolves in Tibet? 

The movie is based on the autobiography of that guy, the guy who was stuck seven years in Tibet!

Ulrich... Heinrich... whatever...

Anyway, this movie unfortunately, indeed, don't show any lesbians and/or werewolves. 😐

10 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Doesn’t mean you can’t call it that! Nothing wrong with a little false advertising...

Anyway, how can you really tell a story about being seven Years in Tibet... in only 136 minutes!

Stuart Little (Alan Silverstri) - only Alan Silvestri could write a score so sickly sweet and get away with it. Chock full of memorable themes, some enjoyable Gershwin style big city music and The Boat Race is one of his best action cues. The kind of action music that’s real music rather than just the sort that’s loud but marking time. Absolutely terrific. Could really use an expanded edition too. The soundtrack album short changes Silvestri’s contribution even if it does include the Boat Race.