What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Hard to beat compilation!

Ok, for me now an All-Herrmann day, today.

THE SOUND OF BERNARD HERRMANN!!!

• Citizen Kane (Gamba)
  • The Day The Earth Stood Still (McNeely)
  • Vertigo (McNeely)
  • North by Northwest (McNeely)
  • Psycho (Elfman)
  • Jason and the Argonauts (Broughton)
  • Torn Curtain (unused score, Bernstein)
  • Cape Fear (reworked 1991 version, Bernstein)
  • Taxi Driver (Original Score, conducted by Herrmann)

IT'S FRIDAY!

A little trip to Peter Jackson's Middle Earth's World!

Fellowship of the Ring (OST)

The Two Towers (OST)

Return of the King (OST)

A Selection from The Hobbit Trilogy (Inspired by the Prague Philh O album program, it will be my introduction to the 3 scores!)

image.png

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

Sphere by Elliot Goldenthal

Never listen to that one before. What a shame because it is trully wonderful. There some Alien3 ideas here and there but with all the liberty that he couldn't have when scoring a sequel.

Top shelf Goldenthal, and my personal favourite of his.

Jake Kaufman - Shantae Half-Genie Hero

Woops, I meant to play Pirate's Curse but played this by mistake.  It's just not as good as Pirate's Curse, even returning to it again now after a year of not hearing it, that opinion hasn't changed.  Oh well.

James Horner - Honey, I Shrunk The Kids (complete)

I used to this this was among Horner's best for some reason; I still like it, but the more I familiarize myself with his entire body of work, the lower this goes on the list.  It's still good, though!

David Holmes - Ocean's 11 (FYC album)

A classic!

It's significantly different!  It contains the entire original score, meaning no Gritty Shaker (since that was an existing composition from his 1997 album Let's Get Killed), no Clair De Lune, no Junkie XL remix of A Little Less Conversation, etc.  

The OST album likewise features all those and a bunch of other existing songs from the film, TONS of dialogue from the film, and only SOME of the score, a lot of which those dialogue bits play over.

So I prefer the FYC album as a whole, but the most satisfying experience is to take it and mix into it Gritty Shaker, Claire De Lune, and Conversation

I haven't listen to it in a while so I don't recall much besides the incredible track $160 Chinese Man. I don't know though if I would like it without the "911 emergency response" quote :lol:

19 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Sphere by Elliot Goldenthal

Never listen to that one before. What a shame because it is trully wonderful. There some Alien3 ideas here and there but with all the liberty that he couldn't have when scoring a sequel.

Yes, it's brilliant. It has a very Adams/Harmonielehre vibe about it at times, but through Goldenthal's unique lens.

On 9/1/2021 at 6:49 PM, Tallguy said:

I'm correcting a mistake.

Michael Giacchino - Spider-Man: Far From Home

I loved the first film and score. I was a little underwhelmed with the second film. Good, solid film. Just not the home-run that Homecoming was. I guess that opinion wound up unfairly taking the score along with it. This is freaking great!

I love the first film and score and actually think the second film is pretty terrible. But I love the second score! 

On 9/1/2021 at 6:53 PM, Edmilson said:

Far from Home is in my top 5 MCU scores ever. I love Mysterio's theme, World's Worst Water Feature is one of the best action cues by Gia and Tower of Cower is very badass.

I love the rhythmic theme that shows up in the last minute of Happy Landings then continues through Tower of Cower... So good! 

On 9/1/2021 at 6:58 PM, Bespin said:

Michael Giacchino... as he doesn't conducst himself, I guess he compose on a computer with samples and toolkits?

Almost every composer working today, composers on a computer instead of sith a pencil on paper. But all his scores are fully orchestral, with occasional synth lines (performed live with the orchestra) 

On 9/1/2021 at 8:24 PM, HunterTech said:

Brad to the Drone accompanies probably one of the most questionable MCU scenes, yet I find it a banger of a cue.

Right!? On album that track was so over the top, I was wondering what kind of scene it would accompany... Then I saw the film and was like... Wtf? Such a weird scene. But the scene itself is so ridiculous, it makes sense that it's score cue is turned to 11.

On 9/1/2021 at 8:24 PM, HunterTech said:

'm quite fond of Power to the People as well.

Me too, felt so refreshing somehow. Like it's the perfect way to score that scene, even though it's not a style I ever would have thought of beforehand 

~

I think the only aspect of FFH's score that doesn't do much for me is the love theme for MJ, though the love theme in Homecoming didn't do much for me either. Come to think of it, I can't think of a stellar love theme in Giacchino's entire ouvre. 

R-2528361-1504391069-6606.jpeg.jpg

If you like the moody cocktail lounge jazz of Mancini and Williams of the 60s, this isn't far removed. And from a Scotsman, no less. I'm not familiar with any other of Keating's work, but this is one I return to now and then when I need some background music for a drink or two. Even if it's rather upbeat at times.

21 hours ago, Holko said:

th?id=OIP.XFQcGqbtT2xgHFZHNCTjWAHaHa%26p

Gloriously over the top. General sound and some awkward edits cloud it a bit, will look into the Talow. That's a 6/7 for me for the whole set, maybe 6.5.

BTW, I'm happy you noticed the clunky edits even on the new set, because I have the same ones on my old CD of this recording.

Nevertheless nothing unusual for a "re-recorded" OST of this era.

I realize that I have difficulties to listen to a score on Spotify, unless I own it on CD.

There's a thing I don't understand about technology! Or maybe it's a thing about psychology!

ab67616d0000b273f8121cbc9ce6fc69606778f5

2017 videogame score. Not on the level of Curry's EVERYBODY'S GONE TO THE RAPTURE (2015), but once she again explores these wonderful choral harmonies. Also, the undulating, piano/string-led harmonies allow a higher degree of identity and structure than most other videogame music these days.

12 hours ago, Bespin said:

I realize that I have difficulties to listen to a score on Spotify, unless I own it on CD.

There's a thing I don't understand about technology! Or maybe it's a thing about psychology!

Same for me. Listening to Spotify for me is like listening to audio samples to help me make a buying decision for the CD.

And what do I do with the CD? I immediately create a digital backup on my computer.

Psychology.

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

That cover looks different from the official?! 

The logo and "A Ron Howard Film" has been replaced, the image has been made lighter and it's maybe been cropped a bit.

I thought someone said it was available on the streamers now.

I've never made it though the film. And I've found that Dante / Goldsmith scores (even ones I adore like Innerspace) can take a little warming up to in their entirety.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

I thought someone said it was available on the streamers now.

On 9/6/2021 at 4:38 PM, publicist said:

Ah, my second-favourite Joe Dante score now finally on Spotify:

restless.jpg

This is the contemporary Elfman that I love these days (although it's 10 years old by now), not the big action-ey blockbuster stuff. Small indie, soft-strumming guitars, explorative strings, discrete percussion, slightly minimalistic -- breezy and interesting.

5 hours ago, publicist said:

Two recent Varése's came in.

LOVE FIELD

THE EIGER SANCTION

The Eiger Sanction was Intrada, not Varese

On 9/6/2021 at 2:38 PM, publicist said:

Ah, my second-favourite Joe Dante score now finally on Spotify:

My #1 favorite score for Dante! (What's your favorite, again?)

13 hours ago, publicist said:

'Love Field', written around early 1991, has the advantage of being a solid drama about race relations, so the rampant cuteness is bracketed with more somber material for the movie's stoic black character and the problems he and JFK-mad housewife Michelle Pfeiffer (the movie's set in 1963) encounter. The southern settings also beget us a blues/gospel vibe, a rare occurrence in Goldsmith's work and a real shot in the arm for the score.

It was released as very short album in 1993, so naturally a lot of Goldsmith's motivic work fell under the table or appeared like random musical ideas. It's by nature not the most exciting music to listen to, but a noticeable asset is the elaborate woodwind writing that recalls Goldsmith's 60's work and is a few notches above other scores of that time (especially in tandem with the deep reverb blues piano). Least pleasant are the typical jagged action moments (The Motel) that fall back on familiar clichés and feel a bit cheap in context, but thankfully they are kept to a minimum. All in all a welcome addition, with a few of Bill Payne's replacement cues, that sound like source music but are a nice bonus (Goldsmith's score got rejected halfway, which happened much more frequently from the late 80's onward).

Goldsmith's score was fully finished, but over half of it went unused in the film (and almost as much was left off the original album) -- I'm pretty sure this is a unique example in Goldsmith's output of a score being over half unused, but it still being used at all and his name remaining on the picture. Much of what was lost was development of Lurene's theme, which thankfully avoids the "rampant cuteness" regularly displayed by the score's primary theme. I agree with you that Paul's Theme is the best part of the score (and now with the full work for context before it, I actually like the action cues a lot more because they incorporate his theme within). I also like how you call out his "elaborate woodwind writing" -- my favorite example of this is my new favorite cue in the score, "The Map". The flute in that is absolutely delightful.

Bill Payne's America theme is the only part of his music where I don't agree with you that it sounds like source. But I find the whole 17 minutes of his work a very pleasant listen and nice follow-up to the Goldsmith score. It's certainly not a jarring transition even though the Payne cues all lack the dramatic heft of Goldsmith even when he's being cute.

Yavar

2 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Innerspace! (I know, you didn't ask me.) 

Innerspace is yours, or Innerspace is his? :)

I think for me the top 5 is:

1. Burbs

2. Soldiers

3. Tunes

4. Explorers

5. Gremlins (2, that is)

Innerspace only barely misses out. If Twilight Zone: The Movie counts it's probably in third place. "It's a Good Life" is easily my least favorite out of their entire collaboration, and one of my least favorite things Goldsmith ever wrote.

Yavar