What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

22 hours ago, Bespin said:

I was inspired and I created this piano playlist.

I got through a lot of this yesterday. Thank you.

Forrest Gump is amazing. While it obviously owes a debt to To Kill a Mockingbird it manages to turn the dial a few degrees in another direction somehow. Less wistful and more hopeful.

Now I'm off to listen to a Current Score by some German fellow. Seems to about a lot of sand.

Paycheck (Deluxe Edition) | John POWELL | CD

It's the first time I listen to this score and it's so amazing. Great ambiance, great action writing, in short a little Powell's gem.
I'll be definitely purchasing it later

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Pearl Theme

1. Pearls on Mul 0:42, 3:56
  2. Showtime 1:02
  3. Pearls Attack 1:01 (action variant)
  4. Pearl's World 2:43, 4:10
  5. The City of 1000 Planets 2:39, 3:16
  6. Pearls Power 0:00, 0:29, 1:24
  7. Final Combat 4:59

Big Market Theme

1. Reading The Memo 0:00, 0:24
  2. Big Market 0:03, 0:15, 1:03
  3. Flight Above The Big Market 0:00, 0:08, 0:54, 1:48

Valerian's Theme

1. Showtime 1:36
  2. Valerian In Trouble 0:22, 0:47
  3. Arriving on Alpha 0:00
  4. Pearls Attack 3:22
  5. Valerian's Armor 0:09, 0:44, 1:43
  6. Spaceship Chase 1:03
  7. Boulanbator Combat 0:58, 1:42
  8. Fishing For Butterflies 1:09, 1:23, 1:36
  9. I Am A Soldier 0:55
  10. Final Combat 6:49

It isn't - it's sung by Serra himself (with background vocals by Nourith)

Thanks, I'll give it a more detailed listen... I think I figured they existed, they just aren't very memorable. And interesting on the song. To be fair I didn't look it up, but the other half said "Oh, Sting" and it sounded so much like Sting I didn't think to check... who knew Eric Serra sounded like Sting. Well, we do now I suppose.

Admittedly I haven't spent much time in my life listening to Sting music, but I don't really hear much of a resemblance

And yea, I had no idea either; The actual Fifth Element OST CD credits the song to RXRA, which I only learned later through Wikipedia was a psuedonym for Serra

Danny Elfman - Article 99

Wow!  My first time ever hearing this score!  I picked up the Varese OST CD some time back and finally opened it this week for a commute to work.  The album opens and closes with really nice piano work occasionally paired with nice string work as well.  But then the whole middle is that smörgåsbordof ideas for Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Darkman, and some other stuff, it was kinda crazy, and I loved it.

Any one have any clue why this wasn't represented on Music for A Darkened Theater Volume 2?  Varese refused to license or something?

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Danny Elfman - Article 99

Wow!  My first time ever hearing this score!  I picked up the Varese OST CD some time back and finally opened it this week for a commute to work.  The album opens and closes with really nice piano work occasionally paired with nice string work as well.  But then the whole middle is that smörgåsbordof ideas for Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Darkman, and some other stuff, it was kinda crazy, and I loved it.

Any one have any clue why this wasn't represented on Music for A Darkened Theater Volume 2?  Varese refused to license or something?

I was never able to connect to that score, but I do find it fascinating, as it's right there in the period he was trying to experiment more with counterpoint and complex harmonic structures (more than overt themes). Reached its peak in M:I, but the seeds can be heard in some early 90s scores like this.

26 minutes ago, AC1 said:

71Myy9i+6BL._SL1200_.jpg

Nice and quiet.

Hmm....interesting. Not familiar with it; will give it a go.

Yes, complex is a good word to describe Article 99.  The beginning and end are very straightforward but the whole middle of the album is this complex back and forth of a million ideas.  It's super fun!  I liked the music so much, it made me want to see the movie (which I've never heard of at all other than the score)

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, complex is a good word to describe Article 99.  The beginning and end are very straightforward but the whole middle of the album is this complex back and forth of a million ideas.  It's super fun!  I liked the music so much, it made me want to see the movie (which I've never heard of at all other than the score)

Been ages since I saw the film (I think it was when I wrote the FSM Elfman buyer's guide in 2005-ish), so I can't say anything meaningful about it other than that I found it better than I had first thought.

Alex North - 2001 (original recording)

Random came across it on Spotify and gave it a spin after listening to Zimmer's Dune this morning.

I really like it!  The more North I hear, the more I like from this guy; In fact, I'm not sure if I've yet heard any Alex North music I didn't like.

The only problem with this is that it's really only the beginning and middle of a score, with no ending.  So it just kind of stops without wrapping up.  But all the alternates included after end up making things feel more satisfying.  Nice release.

And catching up with the stuff I listened to at work this week

Jake Kaufman - Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

The highlights are great, the 2 hour album overall is not spectacular.  I should make a personalized playlist of my favorite tracks

Howard Shore - The Fellowship of the Ring (Complete)

Hey guess what, this is one of the best film scores ever written

Alexandre Desplat - Valerian and the City of 1,000 Planets

I ended up listening to the whole OST album after it got brought up in the this thread.  I ended up appreciating the score even more than I had before! 

Then I listened to @Chewy's rips of the unreleased cues that are in the film but not on the OST album here, and holy hell, lots more good stuff. Now I want an expanded release even more!

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Howard Shore - The Fellowship of the Ring (Complete)

Hey guess what, this is one of the best film scores ever written

I agree, but it's because it was composed by a veteran, who previously never really got the attention he deserved, because of the kind of movie he usually scored before.

I mean, give the movie "E.T." to any talented composer, and he'll do a great job.  I mean, it's easier for a composer to really shine on a heroic, wonderfull and magical movie rated PG, than on a dark psychological thriller made by David Cronenberg!

But to score a dark psychological thriller is not an easy task to do! It takes a lot of skills.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Alexandre Desplat - Valerian and the City of 1,000 Planets

I ended up listening to the whole OST album after it got brought up in the this thread.  I ended up appreciating the score even more than I had before! 

Then I listened to @Chewy's rips of the unreleased cues that are in the film but not on the OST album here, and holy hell, lots more good stuff. Now I want an expanded release even more!

I think this is my favorite Desplat score, I absolutely love his work on this. 

And like you I am dreaming of an expanded release... but I don't think I've ever seen an expansion for a Desplat score yet :huh:

Not yet, but most of his scores are beyond the affordable window anyway

There's also rarely any leaks of his scores either, for whatever reason

I've start to watch the show only two days ago and really like it, especially the music which is very Star Trek-esque

The score is simply great with terrific action cues, a really nice theme and a very orchestral atmosphere. It's all what I love about film music.

ab67616d0000b273297cf5855570d2b1c39defca

One out of only a handful Desplats that I like. Mysterious and smoldering for the most part, but with some longlined thematic writing inbetween (a rarity with Desplat).

6 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

What a incredible mix! Simply great presentation of terrific various cues. It really reminds me why Tarantino movies are so great

Absolutely. And his soundtracks are some of the coolest compilation albums around.

ab67616d0000b273e3876291a05745777f49d7eb

My review of Warner's brilliant score for MARY SHELLEY is one of the most popular on Celluloid Tunes, especially because Warner shared it herself on her social media accounts. I didn't review this, but it was certainly another highlight last year. Unashamed, straightforward Irish folk music meets broad orchestral landscapes at times. A kind of "Fenton Lite". (Warner is Jamie Dornan's wife, btw, who stars in this).

10 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Kill Bill vol.1.jpg

What a incredible mix! Simply great presentation of terrific various cues. It really reminds me why Tarantino movies are so great

Tarantino's soundtracks are pretty much the only "compilation soundtrack albums" I buy.

54 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Newman’s is considerable better, more memorable and varied than the Desplat. Having said that I did enjoy Desplat’s effort plenty.  But Newman’s is one of his very best and that’s hard to beat. 

Little Women and Oscar and Lucinda make for an excellent Newman "double feature". Wish he did more of period stuff. Actually, The Good German counts too albeit in a slightly different genre. 

Karol

29 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Little Women and Oscar and Lucinda make for an excellent Newman "double feature". Wish he did more of period stuff. Actually, The Good German counts too albeit in a slightly different genre. 

Karol

Agreed. Oscar and Lucinda is probably my favourite Newman score overall. Almost every track is a delight and the house of glass is perhaps the greatest single cue he’s ever written. Absolutely gorgeous. Beautifully produced album too. 

David Arnold - Stargate (Complete) 

Bloody hell, this is one great film score. Just a total masterpiece, it has everything! 

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

David Arnold - Stargate (Complete) 

Bloody hell, this is one great film score. Just a total masterpiece, it has everything! 

Everything? The woooo, the waaaa and the heeeeeee?

Some rather good recent fantasy music for me over the past couple of days:

Final Fantasy VII Remake (7-disc streaming edition)

God of War

Lair

Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings

The Monkey King

The Monkey King 2

Final Fantasy VII: A Symphony in Three Movements

Plus Far and Away.

:music: Fantasy IV: Final Fantasy (from Square Enix's Symphonic Fantasies Tokyo album)

Karol

Nostalgia of the 90s

• Hollywood Soundstage - Big Movie Hits: Volume I (Varèse)
    • Highway To Hollywood - Big Movie Hits Volume II (Varèse)
    • Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra - Sailing
    • Joel McNeely - Hollywood '94
    • Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra - The Great Fantasy-Adventure Album
    • Mauceri - Hollywood Nightmares
    • Joel McNeely - Hollywood '95
    • Mauceri - Journey to the Stars

mbid-27677f2a-3c98-467e-b282-a505b0bef23

I've always had a soft spot for Rahman's early efforts, like PAVITHRA (1993) -- especially the gorgeous chord progressions of the opening song "Azhahu nilave".

41 minutes ago, AC1 said:

CD 1, which I don't think is as good as CD 2 (the one I mostly play). 

I agree. But that is probably because in the meantime I prefer listening to Star Wars CDs that don't start with the main title. Even though the first pieces are often some of my favourites, I hardly listen to them, because I don't feel like listening to the main title. That is nice with the FYC-Versions where the main title is skipped. Would be one of my wishes for the ever coming super edition of the SW scores.