What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

24 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Holy! It's the first time that I notice Darth Maul has an anti-Christian symbol marked on his nose. Am I late to the party?

You mean, on the bridge? All I see is a vertical line intersected by a horizontal line. No anti anything there, but each to his own :).

Now, if he has three sixes arranged, roughly, in a triangle, I'd be worried.

7 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

No anti anything there, but each to his own :).

It's quite obvious. Strange that I didn't see it before. And now, what has been seen cannot be unseen. 

So does that mean I'm not late to the party but I'm actually the first one to arrive? :o

Danny Elfman - Extreme Measures (OST)

Another recent purchase, took the shrinkwrap off and checked it out today.  Much like Article 99, I wasn't even familiar with a suite, since this one came out after Music For A Darkened Theater Volume II.  Well, once again, I liked it!  Typical mid 90s kooky Elfman, which was great.  But track 8 in particular, "Elevator Madness" was straight out of Mission Impossible, so close it could have been a leftover track, or thrown into a playlist with that score and not feel out of place.  It was fun; The whole CD was fun!

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

John Williams - The Last Jedi (Complete)

It lacks a really great new theme to anchor the score around

Musically, Rebellion is Reborn is a much more exciting piece than the other sequel concert pieces. Mainly because it's a brilliant development of very different musical ideas.

Yea but I'm not talking about concert arrangements, I'm talking about the score as a whole.  The 2 themes used to make that concert arrangement track of are fine themes, just don't blow me away, and don't really make a huge impact throughout the score presentation.  Luke in Exile kinda goes away after the beginning, where it sounds the same each time it's used, and Rose's theme is nice for a while then also kinda disappears.  I enjoy the new variations of Rey's theme and the March of the Resistance more, personally

You're right, but neither of the three scores are high on my list. Each has a few cues i really like, but as a whole they feel still strangely disconnected and kind of lame. And like in much of Williams' post-90's work, there is a most lamentable tendency to repeat older material verbatim (for the proscenium, so to speak). It's not really laziness on Williams part, but more a reveal of how factory-made and fan-serving big event movies have become since.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Taking a break from Zimmer (and Newman, but that's another post).

Dune (1984)

R-1438239-1507514498-6079.jpeg.jpg

A really solid listen. I've always enjoyed it far more than the movie.

You must listen to this edition:

41coArOQe-L._AC_.jpg

The difference in the Main Title alone makes it worthwhile, not to mention all the extra music

ab67616d0000b2733ca1f0346cd62df842f66198

Still have fond memories of catching the morning premiere of Park Chan-wook's THE HANDMAIDEN in Cannes in 2016, altough it was way too early for my taste. Great film, although I didn't like it as much as my colleagues. The sweeping and seductive score by Jo Yeong-wook is pure class (although Yeong-wook frequently uses co-composers, so I don't know how the credits are here).

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Great film, although I didn't like it as much as my colleagues.

But still you think it's great?

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

The sweeping score by Jo Yeong-wook is pure class (although Yeong-wook frequently uses co-composers, so I don't know how the credits are here).

Sample, please!

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But still you think it's great?

Yes. But they were beyond the clouds. It was a top 10 film for them, it was 24 for me (out of 135).

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Sample, please!

John Williams - The Eiger Sanction (film recording)

I dig this score a lot, it's pretty groovy.  I realized today I don't really have any other scores in my collection like it.  Maybe I need to listen to more 70s scoring!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

John Williams - The Eiger Sanction (film recording)

I dig this score a lot, it's pretty groovy.  I realized today I don't really have any other scores in my collection like it.  Maybe I need to listen to more 70s scoring!

That's pretty much just how I feel. I'm a little leery of shouting how great this score is because I'm afraid that someone will then show me the seven scores that are in the same vein and maybe better, two of them by Williams. Like some kid talking about how The Rocketeer revolutionized film scoring. (I love the Rocketeer.)

It hasn't happened yet.

I LOVE The Rocketeer!  One of my favorite scores of all time.  It ain't revolutionary, but it's great!

I'm sure JW brought his own magic to Eiger that no other composer could have brought

12 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

That is nice with the FYC-Versions where the main title is skipped. Would be one of my wishes for the ever coming super edition of the SW scores.

Yeah, the bonus section should include the main title without the first 90 seconds, so that each score can start individually.

34 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Yeah, the bonus section should include the main title without the first 90 seconds, so that each score can start individually.

I think we're taking "boutique" to a new level. I'm a little alarmed that I almost think it's a good idea. Almost.

I mean, if every movie gets 3 or 4 discs and every cue is presented in both its movie form as well as discrete sections. That's not a musical presentation, that's a toolkit! What's that noise? Is that Thor throwing himself into the CD pressing machinery?

9 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'm more a puppy heart than a lion heart, I must admit!

I am - literally - a lionheart :)

That's OK, Bes. Not everyone can like everything.

There's not much love to go 'round, for RUNAWAY, but, for me, it's top-10 Jerry.

Horses for courses.

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Jerry Goldsmith - Lionheart (Varese Deluxe Edition)

I dunno, after several attempts, this score just doesn't do it for me :(

To me the main title is pretty much Conan, but not as good.

The rest reminds me of Legend, but is not as good as well.

So, for me no must have.

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

To me the main title is pretty much Conan, but not as good.

I'm used to confusing categorizations of scores pretty much since i first met Thor, but this one ranks high. Lionheart? Conan? It's pretty much an Elgarian hymn, Goldsmith style, and the surrounding themes and motifs are very much tied to it (not counting the Mathilda folk song-like tune and the Orff-ian Black Prince theme). 

There's nothing remotely archaic about Lionheart (not counting the synths, of course ;)) and Conan is all-archaic.

32 minutes ago, publicist said:

I'm used to confusing categorizations of scores pretty much since i first met Thor, but this one ranks high. Lionheart? Conan? It's pretty much an Elgarian hymn, Goldsmith style, and the surrounding themes and motifs are very much tied to it (not counting the Mathilda folk song-like tune and the Orff-ian Black Prince theme). 

There's nothing remotely archaic about Lionheart (not counting the synths, of course ;)) and Conan is all-archaic.

I disagree. If you don't hear it. 

This driving rhythm with the low brass it is quite similar in character, archaic or not.

Just the first two minutes of lionheart:

And Anvil of Crom:

Even the rhythm is quite similar.

32 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I disagree. If you don't hear it. 

This driving rhythm with the low brass it is quite similar in character, archaic or not.

Just the first two minutes of lionheart:

I hear it. And I totally see what you're saying. But it's also fairly ordinary Jerry. I've been listening to Innerspace a lot, so I'll compare it to that. You could even go to Star Trek: Insurrection. 3:30 is a lot like Explorers. Every time I listen to clips of this I come away thinking it's a Best of Jerry score. Which is nice.

It's not as dead to rights Conan as, say, Total Recall.

I'm kinda loving it though. I should listen to this more.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

That's one cue in Lionheart and the similarity is superficial at best. It's the introduction of Goldsmith's Total Recall-style (it's also in the later Rambo's and has its roots in Supergirl, listen to example below). It's part streamlining, part pop/rock influence, whereas Conan sounds more, well, archaic (it's not only the rhythm, but the setting).

Be that as it may, i merely find it curious that people (you, Jay, others i don't remember) find this score lacking, which apart from its mediocre playing and synth overdubbing strikes me as a classic example of a fan favourite (leitmotifs! easily hummable! hymns! romance!). Which is totally OK, of all the Goldsmith scores i own it's the one i first would recommend because i just find it easy to like. But that's just different strokes for different people.

26 minutes ago, publicist said:

That's one cue in Lionheart and the similarity is superficial at best. It's the introduction of Goldsmith's Total Recall-style (it's also in the later Rambo's and has its roots in Supergirl, listen to example below). It's part streamlining, part pop/rock influence, whereas Conan sounds more, well, archaic (it's not only the rhythm, but the setting).

Be that as it may, i merely find it curious that people (you, Jay, others i don't remember) find this score lacking, which apart from its mediocre playing and synth overdubbing strikes me as a classic example of a fan favourite (leitmotifs! easily hummable! hymns! romance!). Which is totally OK, of all the Goldsmith scores i own it's the one i first would recommend because i just find it easy to like. But that's just different strokes for different people.

The reference to Conan I only made for the main title. Nothing else.

I wrote: Main title -> Conan, rest of the score -> Legend.

I never wrote anywhere that the score overall sounds like Conan.

Maybe you would find other people's post less weird or curious if you read them precisely.;)

26 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The reference to Conan I only made for the main title. Nothing else.

I wrote: Main title -> Conan, rest of the score -> Legend.

I never wrote anywhere that the score overall sounds like Conan.

Maybe you would find other people's post less weird or curious if you read them precisely.;)

No, because actually the *main title* (whatever that is) doesn't sound like Conan, but the cue 'Failed Knight' (debatable).

King Solomon's Mines (Quartet) by Jerry Goldsmith

Another terrific score from Goldsmith, the action cues are great as always with him. I've also notice some Star Trek vibes or perhaps am I mistaking.

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

King Solomon's Mines (Quartet) by Jerry Goldsmith

Another terrific score from Goldsmith, the action cues are great as always with him. I've also notice some Star Trek vibes or perhaps am I mistaking.

KING SOLOMON'S MINES holds a unique place, in the Goldsmith oeuvre.

Person of Interest (Season 1)

Person_of_Interest_(soundtrack)_cover.jp

This show turned 10 this week. Great show. Great score. I'd say my Djawadi gateway drug but I don't listen to that much else by him. Of course I always like what I hear. (Pacific Rim I like a lot.)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Hans Zimmer - The Rock (Complete)

An old favorite.  Still good!

Complete? 

The original is one of my favorite "I need to write lots of code very quickly" albums. 

Fort Walton - Kansas is just one of my favorite things. 

Michael Giacchino & Nami Melumad - Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond

Oh, wow.  I instantly like this score the first time I heard it, but for whatever reason it hasn't entered my rotation of scores I listen to often.  It'd been a while since I heard this.... and so it wowwed me all over again.  What a terrific score. That main theme has got to be one of the best themes of recent years, and it goes through so many variations on this album!  This is really great!  Can't wait for the Star Trek Prodigy album!

Probably the best of all the recent Poledouris additions on Spotify (the old release was an abysmal 29 minute selection). It's neither better nor worse than Part 1, kind of a 'more music from' thing. But with better sound.

R-12733350-1540922407-8289.jpeg.jpg

1962 TV theme compilation that I once got on a lavish CD-R from someone -- as a bonus to a trade involving some rare Williams items. No Williams here, but suave and moody jazz and drama pieces all around. Ol' Herschel has the most tracks -- a privilege of conducting the recordings, I guess.