What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

13 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Any recommendations? I always enjoy it when I hear it, but that massive 1st season collection is a lot. 

I made this really satisfying playlist a while back, it's basically the 1 big highlight set-piece track from each episode (except episode 8 where I included a bunch of tracks because they're all so good lol), bookended with the main theme tracks

1. 1-09 The Mandalorian (3:18)
  2. 1-04 HammerTime (2:17)
  3. 2-02 Jawas Attack (3:46)
  4. 3-06 Mando Rescue (2:14)
  5. 4-04 Training the Plebs (3:10)
  6. 5-04 Speederbikes (1:21)
  7. 6-11 Mando's Back (7:15)
  8. 7-07 The Arrival (3:16)
  9. 8-04 A Thousand Tears (4:06)
  10. 8-05 Nurse and Protect (3:59)
  11. 8-09 Sacrifice (3:29)
  12. 8-10 Mando Flies (2:04)
  13. 8-11 The Baby (3:20)
  14. 7-08 The Mandalorian (Orchestral Version) (2:20)

TOTAL TIME - 45:55

Check it out!

John Williams - Dracula (Varese Deluxe Edition main program)

Hey, this score is pretty cool!  It fit the spook-tober feel.  I never noticed before, that he was already doing in this score some of the dramatic stuff he'd later do in the Star Wars prequels

Ludwig Goransson - The Mandalorian (Season 1 highlights outlined above)

Love it!

Basil Poledouris - Starship Troopers (Varese Deluxe Edition main program)

I don't think I'll ever get tired of listening to this great score!

R-11503778-1517505940-8259.jpeg.jpg

This promo disc has always been both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it covers all of Shire's best stuff up untill 2002 in its generous 74-minute running time, and a curse because it has really prevented me from getting a lot of the individual scores (even though I've obviously sampled many over the years).

Halloween. 

It truly is a remarkably effective score.

Imagine.you have a limited budget of $300,000.00 dollars with nearly a fourth of it dedicated to the new panavision camera. So Carpenter and the crew took on tasks as needed. No one expected that the score would become famous on its own.

I love the variations in how its played.

Interesting that Carpenter's Halloween score is more memorable than any single score by Zimmer or Giacchino.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Are these originals, or rerecordings?

What's on it, Thor? THE HINDENBURG? 2010?

Yeah, those and pretty much everything else of note that he's done. It's a great compilation. I think they're all original tracks, but I don't really know about such things.

Contact (Silvestri)

I haven't seen this film since it was in the theater. Good score.

There are some solid precursors to Captain America in here. But that might just be saying "It sounds like a Silvestri score." Certainly an enjoyable listen.

Hans Zimmer - The Ring and The Ring Two (OST album)

I don't remember when or why I picked up this OST album, but I listened to it for Spooktober and it's kinda interesting.  12 tracks many of which are quite long, it feels more like an experimental album than a proper film score.  Especially the end of the album, where one track has dialogue from the film looped as part of the music, and the next is a crazy prog rock / heavy metal thing.  Interesting album

Overall I think I like what Beltrami did with the Scream scores more than what Zimmer does here.

But either way, this kind of music works great in their films and is less interesting to listen to on its own, at least for me personally

Pretty good but I'd add David Studies Monica and To Manhattan 

The former sets up the inhuman theme before it explodes in Abandoned In The Woods, the latter sets up the Blue Fairy theme before we get to all the tracks with it in the third act - plus you want SOMETHING in between Journey to Rouge City and The Mecha World

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What on earth is "Canoeing With Pinocchio", when it's at home?

This scene:

aiartificialintelligence_2001_photo_4.jp

R-11216124-1512049813-5023.jpeg.jpg

Hopkins (also my alltime second-favourite actor) is a pretty decent composer himself, although rarely anything complex. He loves his waltzes. This charming chamber piece score from 1996 might still be his best work, IMO.

ab67616d0000b273de6a49413ef502cfa75706ed

Hypnotic score from 2017 that uses the full force of Lisa Gerrard's voice in several tracks. I remember being enthralled by this when I saw the movie, and it works surprisingly well on album too (even though fans of more traditional scores will no doubt dislike the more ambient style here). Gets almost religious towards the end, "nature religion", like in Preisner's VALLEY OF SHADOWS.

ab67616d0000b2735f7c1ce0b8ee950151965c86

Amar has since become a favourite of mine, but this 2011 score was really my first proper discovery of him. Few can do these haunting, minormoded landscapes as well as him these days.

I am once again listening to The Outsiders.  "Sunrise" is such an achingly perfect cue.  I've posted before that it reminds me of To Kill a Mockingbird musically and it also occurs to me that they can be related thematically as well.  Both being at least partially about how you can never have the innocence of childhood again once lost.

Also don't think of this cue as an instrumental version of a Stevie Wonder song, the film cue written by Carmine Coppola came first, and then Stevie Wonder gave it lyrics and a pop song recording afterward.

And it's such a horrible tragedy what Francis Coppola did to his own father's score for the "complete novel" cut of the movie, which is currently the only one in circulation.  I find it unwatchable.

To use a quote from another Coppola movie, "Look how they massacred my boy"

bc55d0055c684056b1f2f1d9673b7701.jpg

I've always considered this 1993 Conti affair a flipside to Goldsmith's UNDER FIRE, in a way. Latin-flavoured score heavy on guitars, synths, growling brass and throbbing percussion alongside the orchestral elements. If I'm not mistaken, the OST was withdrawn from markets, and it's still not reissued. Deserves a proper remaster and reissue.

Che (Alberto Iglesias) - Not sure what I was expecting, but found this to be largely underwhelming. Disappointing compared to his usual high quality.

The Four Musketeers (Lalo Schifrin) - Very enjoyable mix of overblown orchestral fun and quasi historic/authentic writing replete with harpsichords (not unlike what Michael Kamen did with 90s version of The Three Musketeers). The only real downside is the crummy sound, especially in the middle registers, which are muffled. Could use a thorough remastering.

Valley of the Dolls (JW) - JW's underscore is, as expected, great fun and tuneful. The songs (by Andre Previn, I think?!) are very much of their time but fit well alongside. Has anyone tried to get this one re-released? I can't imagine it's high up on JW's radar!

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Tom Guernsey,

For me, CHE is up there, with TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY, as one of Inglesias' best.

Do you like Legrand's THE THREE MUSKETEERS?

Maybe I'll give it another listen but it just kinda passed me by... TTSS I will have to listen to again. Same for the Legrand Three Musketeers. I don't remember it.

10 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

The Four Musketeers (Lalo Schifrin) - Very enjoyable mix of overblown orchestral fun and quasi historic/authentic writing replete with harpsichords (not unlike what Michael Kamen did with 90s version of The Three Musketeers). The only real downside is the crummy sound, especially in the middle registers, which are muffled. Could use a thorough remastering.

Just watched the movies again this week and thought the same.

Legrand's score was quite disappointing, Schifrin's is much better.

Christopher Young - Species (Promo)

Do people here know this version?  It was a pressed promotional CD from the 90s, I won a signed copy in some website contest back in the day.  It's a 42 1/2 minute highlight album Young assembled back then (maybe assuming it'd get a score album, like a Spider-man 3 situation before Spider-man 3) as opposed to the 2008 Intrada complete 66 minute version that is to date the only commercial release.  A decent score, though the opening and closing tracks are extremely similar to that year's Apollo 13 score!

Chris Bacon - Bates Motel (Lakeshore Records OST)

Completely randomly, this is also a signed copy.  I have no clue how I got it, but this was the first time I listened to it.  It was quite a discovery for me, as this music is really, really nice!  Delicate string and piano work abound, sometimes punctuated with moody, unsettling synth patterns.  At times haunting and scary, at times hopeful and serene.  Something I will be listening to again!

I later learned that Varese released an OST album for seasons 1 and 2, and then Lakeshore released this album that repeats some material from that first album but also contains music from seasons 3 and 4, despite neither album indicating as such.  And no album exists for season 5.  Hmm.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Christopher Young - Species (Promo)

Do people here know this version? 

Yes, I have it. It's pretty good. Quite a bit of the "delicious darkness" I enjoy with Young.

4 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Apparently, WATERWORLD was directed by Kevin Costner, and had an "heroic" score from James Horner (!).

The same James Horner who later would write amazing scores for M. Night Shyamalan? Great!

4 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'm :music: Radio 3's THE SOUND OF CINEMA.

Apparently, WATERWORLD was directed by Kevin Costner, and had an "heroic" score from James Horner (!).

Why does this asshole bother?

Having listened to Sound of Cinema for a number of years and gone through most of the available back episodes I’ve only ever noticed a very small number of factual errors but this does seem to be a pretty major mistake! Strange as Matthew Sweet genuinely seems to like film music and it generally seems well researched. Guess everyone makes a mistake once in a while. My major issue with the show is more that casual listeners who might hear a score and want to check it out may be disappointed when they discover it’s a long out of print limited edition (or even a regular edition that’s long out or print). It’s not much use as a buyer’s guide. 

Sodom and Gomorrah - Miklós Rózsa

City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus (complete recording)

So far just listened disc one. Rózsa at his best. Haunting romantic love themes, dramatic marches and brassy dark action cues, mixed with some nice pseudo folk source pieces. Really love this music. The main themes here are not that used up like Ben Hur or King of Kings. Therefore, kind of refreshing.

ab67616d0000b2733d81fa4ad76706d971cb78e3

A great compilation album, really, although too long at almost 90 minutes. Noe has great taste in music. While the film is a wild, hallucinogenic ride, the music lives its own life on album -- perfect for weekend drinking, and a DJ set  (so in that respect, not too long). Favourite tracks include Cerrone's "Supernature" and the always thrilling "Utopia Me Giorgio" by Moroder.

The Planets (Anže Rozman & Andrew Christie) - Impressive mix of orchestra, chorus and synths for the 43265234th documentary series about the planets. Quite different to my usual listening but the mixture of all three elements is striking and the synth soundscapes are hugely effective.  Is it bad that I kinda wish Zimmer's Dune was a bit closer to this? I mean, it's not massively far away in some places, but Rozman and Christie's music is far more interesting to me. Also worth comparing to Jim Meacock's entirely synth score from a similar mid-90s documentary, but Meacock tries to replicate an orchestral sound which doesn't quite work as just using the synths as instruments themselves.

Dragonslayer (Alex North) - I'm still amazed that they kept North's score in given how uncompromising it is in places. Compared to the grand, memorable themes of things like Krull and Conan, it's pretty hard going at times. I used to struggle with it, but having developed a much more diverse taste in 20th century classical, North's music isn't as challenging. Indeed, the bits that stick out most are the comedy tracks such as Forest Romp and Galen's Escape which sound more like something James Horner would write for an animated movie. Also odd hearing North's unused space dock music from 2001 in Burning Village and the End Credits. Not sure it really fits either, coming across as weirdly whimsical alongside the grind of much of the rest of the writing.

Quantum of Solace video game (Christopher Lennertz) - Sure I mentioned this recently, but very enjoyable and some great versions of the Bond theme woven in (even more cleverly than most of the film scores, even those by John Barry). Are there any other Bond video game scores worth checking out?

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Dragonslayer (Alex North) - I'm still amazed that they kept North's score in given how uncompromising it is in places. Compared to the grand, memorable themes of things like Krull and Conan, it's pretty hard going at times. I used to struggle with it, but having developed a much more diverse taste in 20th century classical, North's music isn't as challenging. Indeed, the bits that stick out most are the comedy tracks such as Forest Romp and Galen's Escape which sound more like something James Horner would write for an animated movie. Also odd hearing North's unused space dock music from 2001 in Burning Village and the End Credits. Not sure it really fits either, coming across as weirdly whimsical alongside the grind of much of the rest of the writing.

This is a fantastic, under-appreciated piece of work.

Easily top-3 North, for me.

Because of when I first saw both films, I will always pair this with ALTERED STATES, another remarkable score.

Paycheck - John Powell

Amazing! The whole deluxe edition is 95-minutes long but without a single boring second. The listening experience is just great!

Despite the fact that we've been living in Peak Powell since at least 2014, I also think his early 2000s scores (El Dorado, Evolution, Shrek, Robots and this one) are tons of fun.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Because if when I first saw both films, I will always pair this with ALTERED STATES, another remarkable score.

I adore ALTERED STATES, but always had trouble getting into DRAGONSLAYER, for some reason. Given my experience with various forms of dissonant/atonal/challenging music, I've come to the realization that there are some variants I love, and some that I can't connect to.

For now 2021 has been... costly! I hope it will end soon!

The weekend program:

- Basic Instinct (Expanded)

- Glory (Expanded)

- The Wrath of Khan (Remastered)

- Sleepy Hollow (Expanded)

- The Eiger Sanction (Expanded)

- The Russia House (Expanded)

- Somewhere in Time (Expanded)

- Always (Expanded)

- Images (Unlistenable)

- The SIlence of the Lambs (Expanded)