What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

25 minutes ago, Bespin said:

For now 2021 has been... costly! I hope it will end soon!

The weekend program:

- Basic Instinct (Expanded)

- Glory (Expanded)

- The Wrath of Khan (Remastered)

- Sleepy Hollow (Expanded)

- The Eiger Sanction (Expanded)

- The Russia House (Expanded)

- Somewhere in Time (Expanded)

- Always (Expanded)

- Images (Unlistenable)

- The SIlence of the Lambs (Expanded)

So far, I've bought one of those.

On 22/10/2021 at 10:53 PM, Jay said:

Christopher Young - Species (Promo)

Do people here know this version?  It was a pressed promotional CD from the 90s, I won a signed copy in some website contest back in the day.  It's a 42 1/2 minute highlight album Young assembled back then (maybe assuming it'd get a score album, like a Spider-man 3 situation before Spider-man 3) as opposed to the 2008 Intrada complete 66 minute version that is to date the only commercial release.  A decent score, though the opening and closing tracks are extremely similar to that year's Apollo 13 score!

I'd had it for years before the official release came out. It's not necessarily top shelf Young all the way through, but overall it's still among my Young favourites. I love Fever (and the variations of it in Fever's Fever, which wasn't on the promo).

Dark Side of the Moon is often the forgotten cue for me from this score. I love rediscovering it every time. 

1 hour ago, LSH said:

Master Alarm (the best version of that particular structure he's used before),

What a fantastic way to look at it. I think it got better in Titanic. 

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

I think it got better in Titanic. 

Yes, I think I'll agree with that.

Also.. a shoutout to the Re-entry & Splashdown cue:

As in the film, the first four minutes is literally waiting for something to happen, and Horner scores it beautifully. It's incredibly tense but also so so emotional. It could have been just four minutes of a tremolo string line keeping us waiting but he modulates and tempers so creatively and beautifully to keep the interest up, with that snare drum always there. And then the eventual release...

:heart:

A-Team by Silvestri. Find it very entertaining. If you want yet another high-octane action score by him, it's the choice to go. Flying a Tank easily one of his best blockbuster setpieces.

I too find images.... unlistenable. 

Perhaps that is too harsh. I should say what I hear makes me want to listen to something else.

16 hours ago, LSH said:

APOLLO 13 - JAMES HORNER

My favourite Horner score. I don't listen to it often, for that reason. But I'm drunk, so I need it.

Many moments to behold. The lonely, plaintive opening version of the theme... and the glorious, full-blooded iterations in the final couple of cues. And all the stuff in between. The incredible The Launch, the thrilling Master Alarm (the best version of that particular structure he's used before), the haunting The Dark Side Of The Moon... it's all sublime.

One of the best Horner scores, and one of the best scores of the 90s. I love it. :heart:

Yes........

13 hours ago, LSH said:

Yes, I think I'll agree with that.

Also.. a shoutout to the Re-entry & Splashdown cue:

As in the film, the first four minutes is literally waiting for something to happen, and Horner scores it beautifully. It's incredibly tense but also so so emotional. It could have been just four minutes of a tremolo string line keeping us waiting but he modulates and tempers so creatively and beautifully to keep the interest up, with that snare drum always there. And then the eventual release...

:heart:

YES!!!!!

Great posts!

R-2892449-1306085945.jpeg.jpg

Sarde is a bit hit and miss to me, but I like this one. Waltzes and all. Read the book while studying English at uni in 1997, and saw the Polanski film shortly thereafter, so I go way back with this story.

55 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Link (LLL) by Jerry Goldsmith

A terrific and fun score. I can't get tired of it...

Yes!  Its vibe is so perfectly suited for Halloween time.  Silly spooky fun.

A trio of mind-blowing scores:

ALIEN ³,

ALTERED STATES,

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS.

Not the easiest of an evening's musical entertainment, but, wow, are these three ever good?! Perfect for a wild and windy night.

All three are personal all-time top-20 scores, from personal all-time top-20 films.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

I'm happy to have this edition. But I also need to admit the original album was curated very well. 

I need to check out his Venom.

Karol

His Venom 2 is not bad but not incredible either

First Blood (Intrada) by Jerry Goldsmith

One of my favourite Goldsmith scores, great theme and great action music

A litte look in the rear mirror... 1989. The year, I finally admitted that I loved film music, not just JW's music...

Dad
Mississipi Burning
Field of Dreams
Born of the Fourth of July
Warlock
Glory
Batman
The Abyss
Indiana Jones Last Crusade

49 minutes ago, Bespin said:

A litte look in the rear mirror... 1989. The year, I finally admitted that I loved film music, not just JW's music...

Dad
Mississipi Burning
Field of Dreams
Born of the Fourth of July
Warlock
Glory
Batman
The Abyss
Indiana Jones Last Crusade

You missed Always. And Star Trek V. And Back to the Future II! And The Little Mermaid! Wow that was a hell of a year.

My kids are re-watching the 2017 DuckTales (amazing show!) and while I was reading about it I discovered there is something called The Moon Theme from the original video game. Apparently this is well known enough that Lin Manuel Miranda started to use it for his character thinking it would be a terrific in joke and the show runners stopped him saying "No no. We have plans." And I have to admit that they put it to great use.

So now I'm listening to entirely too many versions of this.

I agree that the reboot series was great @Tallguy, and you owe it to yourself to give a listen to the classic video game soundtrack the Moon theme is from.  The Ducktales Remastered soundtrack with new versions by Jake Kaufman plus the original 8-bit versions is just wonderful.

Starship Troopers (Varese) by Basil Poledouris

I've watched the movie a second time recently and was so amazed by this incredible score that I've decided to listen to the expansion. It's such a great listening experience however I recalled that the main theme was more present than it is on this CD. Is the expansion complete or is there some missing cues?

The Varese Deluxe Edition contains everything you can hear in the film except for the film version of "Bug Attack On Cameraman" and the extra percussion you can hear in "Bugs!!". 

I think overall it's complete, at least in terms of having one version of every cue, although the cue "11M3 Zander and Carmen", which wasn't used in the movie anyway, seems to have been recorded but isn't here since IIRC it turned up on a boot somewhere, and there are reports of more alternates existing too, but maybe they weren't recorded, I dunno.

The main theme appears in

1. 1-04 Friends Forever @ 0:22
  2. 1-09 Teamwork @ 0:20
  3. 1-20 Battle Ready @ 0:14
  4. 2-04 Rico’s Roughnecks @ 0:59
  5. 2-06 They Will Win @ 2:55

I think that's all of it's appearances anyway...

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

The expansion is complete apart the cue "11M3 Zander and Carmen", which wasn't used in the movie either and only turned up on some obscure boot.  Everything from the old OST album, and everything heard in the film, is on the expansion -- although, "Bugs!!" in the film does have additional percussion that is not on the OST or Varese...

The main theme appears in

1. Friends Forever @ 0:22
  2. Teamwork @ 0:20
  3. Battle Ready @ 0:14
  4. They Will Win @ 2:55

And that's it

Ok thanks for the information

It's also in the End Credits by the way

Poledouris didn't write anything for the end credits.  For the film, the music editors just cobbled together various bits of existing cues to cover the end credits.  The "End Credits" track on the Varese Deluxe Edition is just a dump of that assembly, direct from the film's music stem, not rebuilt from proper elements like the rest of the DE

Balto (intrada) by James Horner

First time I listen to this score properly and it's such a beautiful one.

I recall loving watching the movie as a kid and listening to it bring me back so much memory. Rare are those forgotten score from movies I haven't seen in decade that I rediscover like that

Not Horner's most famous score but easily a top 10 for me too bad it's now OOP

On 28/10/2021 at 10:00 AM, Disco Stu said:

I agree that the reboot series was great @Tallguy, and you owe it to yourself to give a listen to the classic video game soundtrack the Moon theme is from.  The Ducktales Remastered soundtrack with new versions by Jake Kaufman plus the original 8-bit versions is just wonderful.

Woah thank you for turning me on to this, I never heard this album before but I am LOVING IT!  I only know Jake Kaufman from Shantae 3 & 4 (I still haven't played Shovel Knight) so I'm thrilled to find another album of his I enjoy!  Yay!

When I got to the "The Amazon" track, an old memory was triggered, and I instantly knew the music from playing the original game as a kid.  I hadn't thought of this melody since then, but here it hit me like a wave.  Amazing

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

Balto (intrada) by James Horner

First time I listen to this score properly and it's such a beautiful one.

I recall loving watching the movie as a kid and listening to it bring me back so much memory. Rare are those forgotten score from movies I haven't seen in decade that I rediscover like that

Not Horner's most famous score but easily a top 10 for me too bad it's now OOP

As a 90s child I remember the film well too. The score is very good - what a year 1995 was for Horner!

I'm even a fan of the song. I'm not just from the same city as the great Steve Winwood, but the same street!

A little recap of the CDs and expansions I bougt in 2020:

The River
    Legends of the fall
    The Rocketeer
    Casper
    The Thing
    Total Recall
    War of the Worlds
    Looney Tunes
    Robin Hood
    Dolores Claiborne
    Far and Away