What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The kind of re-recording that gets your blood boiling: a respectable 1996 performance by a Berlin orchestra of Franz Waxman's great score to the Lindbergh flight movie 'The Spirit of St. Louis', with a portion of the biblical Fox score 'The Story of Ruth' on top of it...and then they add some half-assed narrator, quoting from the movie (or the books, who knows) who talks over the most important cues. Bollocks, say! Just listen to track 3 after 01:51 and track 9 after the 01:56 mark for checking what we've lost here.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

The kind of re-recording that gets your blood boiling: a respectable 1996 performance by a Berlin orchestra of Franz Waxman's great score to the Lindbergh flight movie 'The Spirit of St. Louis', with a portion of the biblical Fox score 'The Story of Ruth' on top of it...and then they add some half-assed narrator, quoting from the movie (or the books, who knows) who talks over the most important cues. Bollocks, say! Just listen to track 3 after 01:51 and track 9 after the 01:56 mark for checking what we've lost here.

I picked this up years ago without knowing it would have narration, and the narrator is the reason why I've hardly ever returned to it.

Damian: Omen II (Deluxe) by Jerry Goldsmith

Terrific from beginning to the end, my personal favourite of those three impeccable scores

Transformers: Age of Extinction (EP) by Steve Jablonsky

Super epic, containing most of the movie best titles (minus Dinobot Charge :crymore:) in a short but so enjoyable presentation

Maybe my favorite Thomas Newman score of the 2010s.

Beautiful score that mixes the usual "Newman-isms" with some Oscar and Lucinda-like choir. It's pretty much the same thing you've heard in previous Thomas Newman scores like Shawshank, The Horse Whisperer, Road to Perdition, Angels in America, etc., but if you don't mind listening to these tropes again, you'll be rewarded with some very touching music that is some of the best Newman wrote in the last decade.

Back to the Future part. III (25th) by Alan Silvestri

Far less good than the two previous entries, it's still a very nice score with some good action writing and fun source music. My main disappointment comes from the love theme which I find a bit flavourless

City Hall by Jerry Goldsmith

A really nice score

Fierce Creatures by Jerry Goldsmith

A lovely score reminding me a bit of Williams' The Accidental Tourist by its apparent simplicity

Would love to get an expansion of both although I'm not sure if there's enough missing cues

11 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Fierce Creatures by Jerry Goldsmith

A lovely score reminding me a bit of Williams' The Accidental Tourist by its apparent simplicity

Would love to get an expansion of both although I'm not sure if there's enough missing cues

Apparently, there might be some bits and alternates in Fierce Creatures, if I remember some more recent comments correctly. But overall, there's more music in the album than in the film, because the score is very short and Goldsmith actually expanded it for the CD. In any case, it's a gem.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I would say the train sequence is superior as an action setpiece.

Objectively that's probably true. But the Clock Tower is one of the greatest "WOW!" moments in cinema history for me.

@May the Force be with You We'll give you a second chance for reviewing Back to The Future III correctly (the expansion), after two or three more listenings.

Don't fuck it up!

:P

I'll take that second chance 😜

At my defense it was only the second time I listened to this one while I've been listening to the two others over 30 times so not the same sensibility for it.

Perhaps I'll have the same experience as I did with Basic Instinct: first listening 'meh', second one 'pretty nice', third 'that's really good', fourth 'wtf was wrong with me two months ago'! Now I listen to it almost once a week

Well, Dragonslayer (1981) is not the easiest listen, especially if one expects a classic Sword&Sorcery adventure epic, but the samples and a watch intrigued me enough to buy it and dive in. I kind of hate to say it because I'm not a fan of these posts and comparisons, but it really does feel less like a film score following the obvious action and more like a symphonic tone poem, North's musings on this dark medieval time of corrupt leaders, of sorcerers and their tangible fun and flexible magic going away and being replaced by distant rigid preachers, where the emphasis in "the last of the dragons" gets placed on the tragicness of "last", as much or even more being in awe of the elegance of its flight than fearing its attacks. First listen but surely not the last! Not bad liner notes but didn't really manage to catch any of the motifs it talks about, might sync it up to the film too to see if that helps.

Lincoln by John Williams

I think Williams wrote two kind o masterpiece in this century: those which feel complexed, extremely worked to give the most perfect score and those which feel obvious, almost written as the music flows.

Lincoln is one of the later, it feels like it was written with so much ease and like if there was no other way to write it.

I'm madly in love with it

It's one of his most elegant scores, and beautifully performed. But I'm getting a bit annoyed by the album. I like the assembly in general, but some of the crossfades are horribly artificial.

Fitzwilly - John Williams (Music Box, just the film recordings)

Every time I put this on after "Main Title" and "Theft / More Theft" I get so excited and I'm ready to declare it an early Williams masterpiece.  But then the rest of the score plays and is just really good, not amazing.  It's obviously one of his best early scores though.  But boy those first two tracks are just somethin' else.

John Williams - JFK (complete DVD rip)

Randomly chose this today looking for something on my hard drive I haven't heard a million times.  It's not a pleasant listen, due to all the sound effects and dialogue, and music repeated a bunch of times via tracking.  But it's a good reminder I should listen to the OST album again some time soon, it's been ages.

Maleficent by JNH

There was a time where I didn't like at all JNH compositions but since I start to rediscover him through King Kong, Waterworld and Wyatt Earp I've completely changed my mind.

Today I listened to this score which start with a nice suite, nothing terrific but a pleasant one and then you come to all the fantastic materials, sometimes light in some kind of effortless writing but also dark and strong in the vein of Elfman's old gothic scores.

In one word great!

Plus as a bonus you have the Lana Del Rey song which concludes beautifully this presentation

35 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's a fantastic score, @Jay.

Top-10 JW, for me.

Curiously, the O.S.T. makes a better listening experience, than the DVD rip.

I even like the songs.

It is, just as Catch Me If You Can, a fantastic album. In both cases the OST with the songs should ideally be preserved on an expanded release.

11 hours ago, Bespin said:

We need an expansion of JFK, of Born on the fourth of July... and Catch Me if You Can, and... on and on...

...and The Witches Of Eastwick, and The Accidental Tourist, and Nixon, and Cinderella Liberty, and Angela's Ashes, and...

R-14149103-1568743360-3246.jpeg.jpg

This one is being reissued now in early December, on Silva. I have vague memories of renting the film on VHS in the 90s, but no memory of the score. So it's a nice re-acquaintance, Isham's electronic score oscillates between moody textural pieces (occasionally with a trumpet/jazz tinge, as is his custom), broad melodies and throbbing suspense. Took me a couple of listen-throughs, but ultimately found it qualified for my digital collection.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

...and The Witches Of Eastwick, and The Accidental Tourist, and Nixon, and Cinderella Liberty, and Angela's Ashes, and...

...and Star Wars, and Indiana Jones, and The Patriot, and Seven Years in Tibet, and Sugarland Express, and The Terminal, and Amistad, and...

(And Stepmom for Jurassic Shark and Fiddler on the Roof for Jay now he doesn't have any spare copy)

52 minutes ago, Thor said:

R-14149103-1568743360-3246.jpeg.jpg

This one is being reissued now in early December, on Silva. I have vague memories of renting the film on VHS in the 90s, but no memory of the score. So it's a nice re-acquaintance, Isham's electronic score oscillates between moody textural pieces (occasionally with a trumpet/jazz tinge, as is his custom), broad melodies and throbbing suspense. Took me a couple of listen-throughs, but ultimately found it qualified for my digital collection.

It's a great early Isham work.

14 hours ago, Bespin said:

We need an expansion of JFK, of Born on the fourth of July... and Catch Me if You Can, and... on and on...

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

...and Star Wars, and Indiana Jones, and The Patriot, and Seven Years in Tibet, and Sugarland Express, and The Terminal, and Amistad, and...

Just wondering how long it will take them to release just ONE of the three Oliver Stone titles...

Jerry Goldsmith - Love Field (Varese Deluxe)

Woah!  I liked this a lot!  The action music in Lost Luggage and The Motel is awesome, and everything else is good too.  The main theme is used a lot, but is very nice, even if it does kind of remind me of "Send In The Clowns"

I listen mostly to tv themes since they are short and fit my time schedule. I love the Season 2 Land of the Giants theme. Johnny Williams was one hell of a composer.

So is that Mike Post guy.

Medecine Man by Jerry Goldsmith

I decided to visit that one as some people here constantly mentioned it and it's a lovely score which however feel to miss so much music (or perhaps was it the intention to focus mainly on one theme?)

Matinee by Jerry Goldsmith

Terrific score that need an expansion (33minutes is far too short). Goldsmith and Dante were hell of a duo!

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Ahhh I've been caught in one of my occasional "Let's listen to EVERY version of the Doctor Who theme (official and unofficial) ever made!" And then find variations of THOSE! 

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Ahhh I've been caught in one of my occasional "Let's listen to EVERY version of the Doctor Who theme (official and unofficial) ever made!" And then find variations of THOSE! 

I was listening to variations of the Hawaii Five-0 theme. Its just damn fanstastic. 

This led me down the variations of The Wild Wild West. Kick ass stuff. 

Memoirs of a Geisha by John Williams

So beautiful, so moving, so perfect... Another proof that Williams can constantly surprise us by writing unusual and immediate classic (drop a tear)

Bruno Coulais - Wolfwalkers

Saw the film recently and loved it; Checked out the OST album on Spotify just now and it's pretty good!  Seemed like a very short album and that the long climax isn't represented well, though

29 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Whaaaa...? 

Yes. What I remember is an overly childish tensionless growthless silly mess with weak acting, script, logic, effects and visuals. And a killer JW score it really doesn't deserve.