What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I don't really feel one way or the other about Superman the Movie.  I love the origin story and basic concept of Superman and I don't think it's ever gotten the big screen treatment it could.

Pan's Labyrinth by Javier Navarrete

A really pleasant and beautiful score which perfectly fits the poetry of the movie.

Per Qualche Dollaro in Più by Ennio Morricone

A masterpiece with one of the worst sound which make wonder if there's a better reissue of the OST or an expansion and if not it's damn time!

Phantom Thread by Jonny Greenwood

Beautiful score, with a great violin performance (although it's a bit much some time), I particularly fancy the track Phantom Thread III

Night Crossing

This score fills me with euphoria, no matter when or where I listen to it. Now that it's without clicks I finally can fully enjoy it. There's only three Goldsmith scores that can compete.

My favourite track is probably "Plans". Strings dancing around and merely brushing the harmony they're looking for for four minutes until they finally reach the musical denouement, the flying theme, that's high art.

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Night Crossing

This score fills me with euphoria, no matter when or where I listen to it. Now that it's without clicks I finally can fully enjoy it. There's only three Goldsmith scores that can compete.

My favourite track is probably "Plans". Strings dancing around and merely brushing the harmony they're looking for for four minutes until they finally reach the musical denouement, the flying theme, that's high art.

I’ve commented previously about how great this score is. And that I have my copy signed by Jerry himself so even if it were mediocre it would still hold a special place in my collection. Fortunately it’s terrific. 

Pirates of the Caribbean (all 5OST) by Hans Zimmer and the RCP crew

The OST presentation is rather disappointing. DMC is far too short missing lots of great cues, same with AWE. OST and DMTNT are the only two with a proper presentation, although DMTNT sounds a bit less good than the previous entries.

Finally TCotBP is a wtf album with a surprising poor quality sound for a recent recording. Expansions are required!

I'm on a Game of Thrones roll at the moment - the albums that is.

Eternals suggested to me that even when Djawadi isn't doing anything new or particularly different, he's still interesting, so with my only prior exposure to his music being Prison Break, I started giving Thrones a fair shot.

I'm not sure if or when it will extend to all seasons, but what I've heard so far for seasons 3 and  6 isn't half bad, and I've got 4 on now which has started well. I found the S6 CD used for only a few ££s and miraculously the code for the extra digital tracks still works, so I've got wav downloads of thise. Unfortunately the others seem to be way more expensive on CD, so I may have to go digital for any others I choose to buy.

His action material doesn't really vary from pounding drums at any point, but it's a far cry from Zimmer & Co's typical approach. Hard to put my finger on it, but it somehow maintains interest.

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I’ve commented previously about how great this score is. And that I have my copy signed by Jerry himself so even if it were mediocre it would still hold a special place in my collection. Fortunately it’s terrific. 

If I hadn't heard CAP ONE first, I might have liked this more.

It's just too similar.

But, I haven't seen t the film so it could be better than I think

41 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

If I hadn't heard CAP ONE first, I might have liked this more.

It's just too similar.

But, I haven't seen t the film so it could be better than I think

It’s only really the opening that’s quite similar. The rest of the score is very different. Romantic 80s Jerry rather  than terse 70s Jerry. 

2 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Pirates of the Caribbean (all 5OST) by Hans Zimmer and the RCP crew

The OST presentation is rather disappointing. DMC is far too short missing lots of great cues, same with AWE. OST and DMTNT are the only two with a proper presentation, although DMTNT sounds a bit less good than the previous entries.

Finally TCotBP is a wtf album with a surprising poor quality sound for a recent recording. Expansions are required!

Believe me, the OST is definetly not the best representation of those scores - although I do have a soft spot for the At World's End OST, which I listened a lot as a teenager. 

However, the official albums for Pirates 1, 2 and 4 are pretty bad. The fourth doesn't have many actual cues from the movie (which indicates they were mostly ghost-written, probably by Geoff Zanelli) and the second has some truly awful remixes of Zimmer's themes.

Yeah I never listen to the remixes, made a playlist without them to forget they exist!

I actually like the presentation of the 4 although it contains as you said very few of the film music.

Highly palatable Barry score out of the Bond closet, for a rather dull Blake Edwards spy film (with Omar Sharif, who seems to read his lines phonetically). It's giving 'repetitive' a bad name, but the debonair main theme with its neurotic high strings is a beaut. It's sung by Wilma Reading and Danny Street in alternate song versions - there's really nothing apart from it, but as far as Barry variations go, it's as entertaining as the likewise aces 'Deadfall'. Thanks, Silva Screen, for filling this last gap in my Barry-in-high-style collection.

Re. Pirates, I'd buy an expansion of AWE to make a more representative album, but have limited interest the others beyond a few tracks.

AWE feels a bit like Gladiator in that Zimmer has condensed a long score (must be at least two hours long? The movie felt like a lifetime) into just an hour, which in Thor-mood is fine, but is really wanting when the film is brought into it. Primarily the music when the final battle starts with the maelstrom - a sequence I believe some trailer music guys were responsible for.

I like Curse of the Black Pearl and the OST is terrible. (I mean the original CD actually SOUNDED terrible. Has this been fixed?) I cannot get into Dead Man's Chest as a whole at all. But I play the three suites (Jack Sparrow, The Kraken, Davy Jones) over and over.

But At World's End? Oh that is one of the sublime Zimmer scores. I miss him writing scores like this. I can actually listen from start to finish and enjoy the whole thing. I love the themes and I love the way they're used. The only thing I skip is Multiple Jacks. Meh.

23 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It seems to sound like someone apeing Barry. Still, I'd take it over countless modern scores.

That's true. Even a lesser Barry score is still miles ahead of what most Hollywood composers are delivering these days.

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

That's true. Even a lesser Barry score is still miles ahead of what most Hollywood composers are delivering these days.

Miles ahead of what 'content' allows these days, is a more apt description.

Spy Hard (Bill Conti) - Fun spoof (obvs) Bond score that sounds more like a Bond score than his actual Bond score (For Your Eyes Only) at times. Plus some other spoof moments, notably Speed, ET, True Lies and probably lots of others I missed.

Black Sails Season 1 (Bear McCreary) - I wanted to enjoy this more than I did. Some nice drunken sounding, sea shanty type pirate music but it didn't fully grab me. Probably need to give it another listen or two. Are there follow up volumes?

Crusoe (Michael Kamen) - Some quite stark moments at times, but plenty of more typical Kamen orchestral moments. One of those Kamen scores I don't really know well but probably should.

Objective, Burma! (Franz Waxman) - Terrific re-recording by the MSO under William Stromberg. I should probably listen to more Waxman but he usually misses out in favour of Herrmann or Rozsa, if I'm after a golden age fix.

Conrad Pope Collection Volume 1 - Gotta admit that I found this super disappointing. Given how great some of his full length scores are, notably Pavilion of Women, which is terrific, this just felt like a load of paraphrases of better scores, notably Total Recall and Basic Instinct, amongst a load more. I mean, enjoyable as it imitates great scores, but you might as well just listen to the originals?! Shame Pope has never really got a big break as the films featured sound dire.

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

Presumed Innocent by John Williams

Gorgeous from beginning to the end. Varèse had a Williams-less year but I really hope they'll tackle this one next year

It's repetitive and boring. Even the 44 minutes by far outstay their welcome. But i quite like my 13-minute selection.

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Black Sails Season 1 (Bear McCreary) - I wanted to enjoy this more than I did. Some nice drunken sounding, sea shanty type pirate music but it didn't fully grab me. Probably need to give it another listen or two. Are there follow up volumes?

No other volumes that I know of, and the first one is rather expensive. The series has a cool main theme and some good pieces once in a while, but even more filler than BSG, which is why I never felt like paying full price (or even more) for the existing album.

6 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's repetitive and boring. Even the 44 minutes by far outstay their welcome. But i quite like my 13-minute selection.

Have to agreed that Presumed Innocent isn't JW's most thrilling score. Having said that, I wouldn't mind a re-release if only because the sound is quite muddy on the original album which surely doesn't help.

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

No other volumes that I know of, and the first one is rather expensive. The series has a cool main theme and some good pieces once in a while, but even more filler than BSG, which is why I never felt like paying full price (or even more) for the existing album.

Thanks. I didn't think so, surprising as Bear McCreary seems happy to release a decent amount of his music but yeah, I can't say I'd be rushing to get more music from Black Sails. I may have to try the show again; I'm sure I quite enjoyed the first couple of episodes I tried.

14 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I may have to try the show again; I'm sure I quite enjoyed the first couple of episodes I tried.

It took me until nearly the end of the first season to get into it, but it gets seriously strong in S2. I regret not picking up the complete Blu set when I saw it cheap at the Music and Video Exchange a few years back.

28 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's a bit repetitive but the sound needs Mike treatment.

Ratatouille by Michael Giacchino

Stunning, probably Gia's finest with Up. If you're not a fan of his music you should try it

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

It's a bit repetitive but the sound needs Mike treatment.

Stunning, probably Gia's finest with Up. If you're not a fan of his music you should try it

Absolutely. Ratatouille is a terrific score. Still probably my favourite of his… before the bombast set in.

2 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Up has a wonderful hook and is a good score but I don't think it's in the same overall league as Ratatouille.

Al Silvestri - Contact

I think Alan Silvestri is underestimated on this forum.  He's a great great great old school composer, and he proved he still can score big adventures movies with such talent and using new technology too (ie COM-PU-TER).

Discover him now as he's still alive. I beg you.

He's always of good taste, his music can be so subtile and ambiguous. I really love him.

I SAY TO THE WORLD: I LOVE ALAN SILVESTRI!!!

I've always loved Alan SIlvestri since discovering film music in the mid 90s

I think he still does good work, I really like The Walk and Cosmos, and look forward to his Pinnochio!

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What do you think about his score for Allied? It's grown on me.

A score to discover for me!

I will listen to it NOW!

It's a simple score that I first wrote off, but after repeated listening I found it quite catchy, with a good (although generic) love theme.  And those big band re-recordings are quite good!

Marwen still hasn't clicked with me.

The two Silvestri's scores that revived my attention recently are Beowulf because it doesn't sound like anything he composed before and has a really catchy theme, and What Lies Beneath which a terrific, haunting score 

I found Marwen great in the movie but it's strangely was a bit disappointing when I listen to it after, I'll give it another chance though

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Ennio Moriccone - The Thing

You always need a dark ambiant and menacing score to chill a bit in this crazy world.

Great score in context. I'm completely unable to listen to it on its own.

One of the great 'Big Outdoors' movies, 'The Trap' (shot 1966 mainly in the breathtaking wilderness of British Columbia) concerns a beautiful mute orphan girl (Rita Tushingham) who is force-married to rough trapper Oliver Reed. The two outsiders warily grow closer in his hut and weather all kinds of challenges and Ron Goodwin provides the uplifting music. By today's standards it's almost shockingly lyrical, though like with many of Goodwin's works, he's better with establishing shots than with the long dramatic scenes.

Still, with so much nature on display Goodwin makes his mark: once you've seen it it's likely you will never forget his glorious main theme (which sounds like a folk song on steroids). Fun fact: You’ll recognise this famous tune as the theme played every year to introduce TV coverage of the London Marathon.