What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Cocoon (Intrada) by James Horner

Terrific and fun score.

Cocoon: The Return (Varèse) by James Horner

Less interresting than the first one, it's still an amazing score.

The Pagemaster (LLL) by James Horner

:heart: One of my top five Horner, easy...

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm surprised this one's barely mentioned on JWFan. OK, it's on the lighter side, and the the effect of the high pitched percussion can be discussed, but the score sets a wonderful atmosphere. I think this is something @Thor would like.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm familiar with some Aufort scores, but none have made it into my collection yet.

ab67616d0000b2738f156d74f3617e3c795ab2dd

Beautiful 2018 score for a game I've never played and never will. New Agey and underwater-moody, but also with some slight EDM touches at times. Only problem is that there are a whopping 56 tracks over 1 hour 40 minutes. Needs some serious, serious whittling in order to work. Probably needs some 50-60 minutes sliced off.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I understand, why you like it. The string ostinati at the beginning sound pretty much like "The Presses Roll" from The Post.

Or wait. I think, it's rather Battle of Heroes from Revenge of the Sith?

Or no. I think, it could be as well Alice from Danny Elfman. Could it?

Or something between all the three.

Anyway, very nice album. Indeed.

Due to a hard drive of mine crashing I've started to go through my soundtrack collection again. It dawned on me how long I've collected film music. I started at the age of 7 with Philosopher's Stone. Anyway.

Les choristes (2004) – Bruno Coulais

It's been a long time since I last listened to this, it's a great score. I could do without the dialogue.

The Wolfman (2010) – Danny Elfman

Had a lot more filler that I didn't care for than I remembered.

Bambi (1942) – Frank Churchill, Edward H. Plumb, Leigh Harline

Man, what a beautiful score. It's a shame the audio quality is so bad, the writing is gorgeous.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) – Danny Elfman

I really like the non-Oompa-Loompa-related material, that's classic Elfman. Love his use of synthesizers in the Main Titles, that's very skillfully done!

Wanted (2008) – Danny Elfman

As with The Wolfman this had a loot of filler I didn't care for.

The Accidental Tourist (1988) – John Williams

I fell in love with this score all over again. It could do with a sound upgrade, though.

Murder on the Orient Express (1974) – Richard Rodney Bennett

As a kid I found this score boring in many places, but I really enjoyed all of it this time. It just flew by.

Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) – Alexandre Desplat

What a fun score! I much prefer the "Abbey Road Mixes" to the official soundtrack, though. Still my favourite of the Desplat/Anderson collaborations, closely followed by Grand Budapest.

La double vie dee Véronique (1991) – Zbigniew Preisner

A great marriage between film and score. I think the score functions a bit better in the film than on album, but still a great listen.

I could go on forever, I've listened to so much stuff lately, haha. Listening to Diamonds Are Forever right now.

This is somewhat of a curiousity. A 2008 album where Giuloano Pilati (who?) reinterprets Tangerine Dream's music for the old 1985 TV series (and adds some of his own compositions in the same style). Funky synthwave before there was synthwave. In some ways, I even prefer it over the original, and have played it to death over the years since -- especially on long-distance travels where the beats and fairly loud mix overpower the noisy surroundings.

David Arnold - Godzilla (unreleased score album)

A fun score I've neglected for too long - will revisit the complete edition soon!

John Barry - Somewhere In Time (MCA Records OST album)

I picked this up at a Savers for $2 recently on a whim - I've never seen this movie or heard this score before.  WOW, it's gorgeous!  I loved the entire 31 minute running time.  I can't wait to check out the LLL expansion now!

John Barry - Out Of Africa (MCA Records OST album)

I picked this up at Savers for $2 on the same trip, also on a whim - I've also never seen this movie or heard this score before (other than JW's recording of the love theme for Philips).  It's ALSO gorgeous, what a gem!  I really enjoyed all of its 33 minute running time.  I can hear some similarities to Dances With Wolves, which makes me glad I heard and fell in love with that score first, so I couldn't be disappointed in him repeating himself :P  I'm sure the more I listen to this, the more different I'll think the themes are anyway.  Bring on a complete edition!

2 hours ago, Thor said:

This is somewhat of a curiousity. A 2008 album where Giuloano Pilati (who?) reinterprets Tangerine Dream's music for the old 1985 TV series (and adds some of his own compositions in the same style). Funky synthwave before there was synthwave. In some ways, I even prefer it over the original, and have played it to death over the years since -- especially on long-distance travels where the beats and fairly loud mix overpower the noisy surroundings.

Does this guy go by the name of Kebu?

Kebu is on YouTube, covering JMJ, Vangelis, Moroder, and TD.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

John Barry - Out Of Africa (MCA Records OST album)

I picked this up at Savers for $2 on the same trip, also on a whim - I've also never seen this movie or heard this score before (other than JW's recording of the love theme for Philips).  It's ALSO gorgeous, what a gem!  I really enjoyed all of its 33 minute running time.  I can hear some similarities to Dances With Wolves, which makes me glad I heard and fell in love with that score first, so I couldn't be disappointed in him repeating himself :P  I'm sure the more I listen to this, the more different I'll think the themes are anyway.  Bring on a complete edition!

A gem indeed. I'm sure you've heard JW's two other recordings as well.

On 02/12/2021 at 5:21 PM, Thor said:

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm familiar with some Aufort scores, but none have made it into my collection yet.

This should appeal to you:

To be honest, at a time where digital downloads allow albums to run for as long as they like, it’s quite refreshing to listen to a well sequenced, well presented little album like this. 

https://synchrotones.com/2017/11/11/knock-cyrille-aufort/

On 01/12/2021 at 9:16 PM, Bespin said:

My Spotify retrospective of the year  favourite genre : soundtracks.

xBmnNWnPMu.png

My fave 5 tracks:

Screenshot_20211201-222053_Spotify.jpg

unnamed.jpg

^Here's my unwrapped. My listening doesn't hold a candle to yours good sir!
Here's the link to the playlist for anyone potentially curious (seems to be displaying incorrectly):

What's your Spotify profile Bespin? I'd love to follow you!
My top five: 
Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 2.58.07 PM.png

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This should appeal to you:

To be honest, at a time where digital downloads allow albums to run for as long as they like, it’s quite refreshing to listen to a well sequenced, well presented little album like this. 

https://synchrotones.com/2017/11/11/knock-cyrille-aufort/

Absolutely. Peter Simons is a colleague of mine in IFMCA, and if memory serves, we're in the same "camp" as far as how soundtracks should be presented. If not, I'll take it as a wonderful sentiment anyway. A&A soundtrack albums forever! Screw C&C from this day and to kingdom come! ;)

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Does this guy go by the name of Kebu?

Kebu is on YouTube, covering JMJ, Vangelis, Moroder, and TD.

No idea. Interesting prospect.

Saturday morning, two Thomas Newman lovely scores: Scent of a Woman and Little Women.

Then a bit of music from the HP universe, inspired by ClassicsFM's "Saturday Night at the Movie" show.

JW - IJ and The Last Crusade (custom chronological edition based on the Concord box)

Masterful score. It has great themes, brilliant action music and some amazing new themes, specially the one for the Holy Grail. 

This might be an impopular opinion, but I think this score surpasses Raiders (which I also love) and is my favorite Indy score so far.

If Indy 5's score is at least half as great as this one I'll be satisfied.

37 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

JW - IJ and The Last Crusade ...I think this score surpasses Raiders (which I also love) and is my favorite Indy score so far.

In richness of themes, yes, but I think that the action music is more accomplished, and, of course, no piece of I.J. music holds a candle to The Miracle Of The Ark.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

JW - IJ and The Last Crusade (custom chronological edition based on the Concord box)

Masterful score. It has great themes, brilliant action music and some amazing new themes, specially the one for the Holy Grail. 

This might be an impopular opinion, but I think this score surpasses Raiders (which I also love) and is my favorite Indy score so far.

If Indy 5's score is at least half as great as this one I'll be satisfied.

Listened to it today as well a little. Yes, it has great themes and so on. But I still prefer Raiders. There is no map room. There is nothing as good as the desert chase. And there is nothing like Marion's Theme. But most of all, there are long sequences where there is not much going on in the music. Moments like this don't exist in the Raiders score. Actually, I prefer the other 3 over crusade. But yes, it is still a great score.

ab67616d0000b273101d5ad957aed75c366a2c6f

The film was rather "pants", but I love the score. You don't get closer to Hayes/Mayfield-ian 70s funk in 2019. One of my favs two years ago.

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Listened to it today as well a little. Yes, it has great themes and so on. But I still prefer Raiders. There is no map room. There is nothing as good as the desert chase. And there is nothing like Marion's Theme. But most of all, there are long sequences where there is not much going on in the music. Moments like this don't exist in the Raiders score. Actually, I prefer the other 3 over crusade. But yes, it is still a great score.

Raiders is a brilliant score, I'm not disputing it. However, I think I prefer TLC because it has such a warmth to it with the Henry Sir and the Grail material. It's similar to why some people might prefer The Phantom Menace to the other OT scores.

As for the action music, I love Desert Chase and recognize its brilliance, but personally I prefer the melodrama and the intensity of Belly of the Steel Beast.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

The film was rather "pants", but I love the score. You don't get closer to Hayes/Mayfield-ian 70s funk in 2019. One of my favs two years ago.

Even that brief description intrigues me. Will have to check this out myself.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

I really liked the film, actually, but I don't remember the score. I'll have to seek it out.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What does JWFan think of Preisner's La Reina de Espana? @Thor?

I found it rather boring, to be honest. Non-descript. And I'm a huge Preisner fan. Plenty of other great Preisners you should seek out first.

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

I found it rather boring, to be honest. Non-descript. And I'm a huge Preisner fan. Plenty of other great Preisners you should seek out first.

Damn, I just got it from Quartet's sale. At least I refrained from getting Goldsmith's boring Russia House.

I just resigned myself to buy Thomas Newman - Bridge of Spies in FLAC. That's life.

Then now I'm listening this two excellent scores :

• The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
  • The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

:music: Dante's Peak. I really like this score. Unlike many 90s disaster epics it really flows well in deluxe format. It's quite a feat given that it was a collaboration between 3 or 4 different composers. The main theme by James Newton Howard is really cool and very well used. The romantic theme is pretty good too. The whole thing feels bit Horner-esque in places but that's not a bad thing.

Karol

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Unlike many 90s disaster epics it really flows well in deluxe format

Wait, what?

What 90s disaster epics are you referring to that you prefer the OST over the expansion?