What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Indeed. The original Vangelis track is super long (10 minutes?) and only the first few notes are being used. I don't think the opening credits/Prologue music has ever been officially released. 

maxresdefault.jpg

No.

That's why the boot is essential.

I believe " On the Trail of Nexus 9" also contains more music than was used in the film.

I find Vangelis versions of BRB, OTTONN, and " Roy Duels Deckard" to be far superior to the drawn out versions on the boot.

Also " Bicycle Riders" while a lovely piece, appears for only seconds in the film.

3 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Also " Bicycle Riders" while a lovely piece, appears for only seconds in the film.

But that's not Vangelis so I understand why it's not on a Vangelis album.

I dabbled a bit in Charlie Brown Christmas last night. Truly a classic.

You know, I haven't broken out The Polar Express (score or film) this year. One of my all time favorites. (What's the last score you plan on listening to?)

Jaws.

You know, this ones not half bad.

On 14/12/2021 at 4:50 PM, LSH said:

04CA198B-17D7-4245-B05B-2CB0186B3691.jpeg

Love this one, it’s gorgeous. Young in quiet drama mode is something I want to hear more of. This, Murder In The First, The Hurricane and Something The Lord Made all demonstrate his ability in this area.

However, I would like to know the circumstances surrounding its rejection and Deborah Lurie’s subsequent hiring. I understand the film sat on a shelf for a good while before its release but Lurie’s replacement score - competent but ultimately inferior - doesn’t exactly explore new ground. Tonally, they are both very similar… so why replace?

It's a wonderful score. THE SHIPPING NEWS and MURDER IN THE FIRST are probably my favourites among this kind of pastoral Young. Alas, I can't help you with the query regarding the rejected score; just wanted to second the recommendation.

19 minutes ago, ForestMusic said:

Philosophers Stone has one of the greatest scores and I've been listening it all day! (It's just soooo magical!) Other than that, Zimmer's "Illuminati" score is also really cool! (Especially the religious choir and bells!)

Liked! 

ab67616d0000b2735a2f3a7200b84442a0e660df

The film was recently put out on Netflix, so I watched it again. It had been many years. I still think it's a bloody good film. Yes, it has that "Western Saviour Complex" written all over it, but much like Scott's BLACK HAWK DOWN, Fuqua counters that with lush, juicy images and a forward momentum with great pace. It had been many years since I listened to Zimmer's score too (with Gerrard's vocalisations, very much a thing at the time), but it holds up very well. Sincere, visceral, haunting. Zimmer is at his very best when dealing with ethnic instrumentation.

hqdefault.jpg

Wiseman's THE MUSIC OF KINGS & QUEENS is one of this year's highlights. Alas, it's not a film score. So I took another listen to this rare 2013 promo instead (and sorry for the bad cover; it was the only one I could find). More jaunty than pastoral, but VERY English. Only a mere 14 minutes, so a proper release down the line would be nice.

R-7787812-1448779639-6569.jpeg.jpg

Ozu has always been a favourite director of mine. This impressive anthology 2CD set from 2003 covers a great many of his films, with lengthy selections from each. Some of the earliest selections on disc 1 (from his silent era, for example) are a bit too scratchy and ancient to provide much listening pleasure, but from TOKYO STORY onwards, the sound is good enough to enjoy. Sweeping, romantic, melodramatic scores by the likes of Masashi Sada, Kojun Saitô and Toshirõ Mayuzumi, capturing the poetic undercurrents of his many family relations. Some with a pronounced Rota/Fellini vibe.

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (JW) - Clearly the best Christmas score ever. Search your feelings, you know it to be true... but seriously, it's basically the original score, plus a metric shit ton of other new themes. In amongst his many fine qualities as a composer, I think it's the quality of his secondary themes that makes JW stand out from even the finest of his peers and HA2 is stacked full of melodies. Many are so good that most film composers would weep with joy to have written them, but in a JW score there they're just a throwaway theme for a particular moment but are strong enough that in many scores they could be the main theme. I mean, it even had great Christmas carols that could easily be in the standard repertoire, not to mention Merry Christmas x2 which is cheesier than a stilton soaked in port and covered in brie (so, cheesy in a good way), but the tune is insanely catchy and would make a great encore for any amateur Christmas choral and orchestral concert (assuming they didn't screw it up, I'm guessing the orchestral part is a bitch to play).

Get Santa (Ilan Eshkeri) - I serve up, as an example of a charming, Christmassy score, full of lovely moments about which I can't honestly remember anything in particular. I mean, I enjoyed it when it was playing but now... not so much. Eshkeri is a fine composer and it's a nice addition to the Christmas scoring pantheon but I'll be buggered if I can remember much about it.

The Polar Express (Alan Silvestri) - Having said that, The Polar Express is pretty stacked with themes itself. I wonder if that's one of the benefits of writing a handful of songs. It's pretty much Christmas scoring on steroids (Al definitely wasn't aiming for subtle) and the Elf Processional is like Christmas carol tourettes but it's so gleefully joyous that it's hard not to be swept away by it all. Some fine action writing in there too. This must surely be one of the best scores of the last 20 years to have basically not received an even halfway "proper" release. I can't believe it's not made it out yet. Fortunately, if you look hard enough here and there online... it's not impossible to find. Just make sure you then buy the legit version when it's released or Santa will put you on his naughty list.

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (JW) - Clearly the best Christmas score ever. Search your feelings, you know it to be true... but seriously, it's basically the original score, plus a metric shit ton of other new themes.

And some relevant new arrangements of old themes. The second half of Arrival in New York is just a workaround for Somewhere in My Memory, but it's still one of the score's highlights.

7 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

We have two John Williams Home Alone scores. But only one Superman. 

The Polar Express

Oh heavens, yes. My son was playing Jolly Old Saint Nicholas for a Christmas concert and it took me right to the sleigh launch scene. The horns in that scene are amazing. 

Just make sure you then buy the legit version when it's released or Santa will put you on his naughty list.

That is so the plan. Every Christmas I have money in the kitty just in case someone announces it. I know I'm obligated. 😁 I wish all of my obligations were as nice. 

8 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

The Polar Express...Just make sure you then buy the legit version when it's released or Santa will put you on his naughty list.

In that case, I guess I'm on his naughty list. I have never heard a single note of this score, nor seen a single frame of this film.

16 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (JW) - Clearly the best Christmas score ever. Search your feelings, you know it to be true... but seriously, it's basically the original score, plus a metric shit ton of other new themes. In amongst his many fine qualities as a composer, I think it's the quality of his secondary themes that makes JW stand out from even the finest of his peers and HA2 is stacked full of melodies. Many are so good that most film composers would weep with joy to have written them, but in a JW score there they're just a throwaway theme for a particular moment but are strong enough that in many scores they could be the main theme. I mean, it even had great Christmas carols that could easily be in the standard repertoire, not to mention Merry Christmas x2 which is cheesier than a stilton soaked in port and covered in brie (so, cheesy in a good way), but the tune is insanely catchy and would make a great encore for any amateur Christmas choral and orchestral concert (assuming they didn't screw it up, I'm guessing the orchestral part is a bitch to play).

I confess, I never listen to Home Alone 1. Home Alone 2 has it all and more.

17 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Just make sure you then buy the legit version when it's released or Santa will put you on his naughty list.

The OST was released ages ago and contained all the songs from the movie. ;)

11 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I confess, I never listen to Home Alone 1. Home Alone 2 has it all and more.

Interesting. I prefer the score to Home Alone 1, in addition to the new songs of the sequel.

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Interesting. I prefer the score to Home Alone 1, in addition to the new songs of the sequel.

Maybe I should add, that I just own the OSTs and there 2 has the additional advantage that it just contains Williams' music while 1 has additional christmas songs, that I am mostly not interested.

I think, they are both out of print, aren't they?

Quo Vadis - Miklós Rózsa

Nic Raine and the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra

I just had the choral suite and thought, that gave a good overview.

But I was so wrong.

This! Score! Is ! AMAZING!

Especially the recording. The arabesque tracks are wonderful. The romantic tracks are haunting. At the moment this is my christmas score.

ab67616d0000b273a19a3bd87475c6ea752ad1a8

From 2014, this is still one of the best, coolest and most stylish soundtracks for a horror/thriller in the last decade. Not only Steve Moore's brilliant synth score, but also the songs by the likes of Annie (yeah, a Norwegian!), Survive, Gatekeeper, Sisters of Mercy and others. The film is great too. I need to playlist it, though, it's too long.

I love so much the sound of Superman's re-recording conducted by John Debney. Amazing reconstruction of the score!

Now a bit of my fave Horner : Cocoon Expanded, Appolo 13 Expanded, Glory Expanded.

13 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I think, they are both out of print, aren't they?

HA1 is still in print https://lalalandrecords.com/home-alone-25th-anniversary-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

HA2 is SOLD OUT https://lalalandrecords.com/home-alone-2-lost-in-new-york-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

R-3408408-1416961001-4171.jpeg.jpg

It's weird. I never play Christmas scores the rest of the year, for obvious reasons, but even though I'd like to play other music right now, I feel kinda "obligated" to play them as the season is upon us, to give them the light of day (like that plate at the bottom of the stack that never gets used). Anyways, this is about as warm and fuzzy and kitchy as only a Hollywood Christmas score gets, but done with such finesse, it's always a treat to revisit.

ab67616d0000b27399c215c0289b331c680789c1

I was once recommended this because it contained my beloved "religious sound". Well, it only sorta does. It's not the pastoral sweep, but rather the indigenous stuff that Danna always does so well. So I've rather come to appreciate it for what it is. A different kind of Christmas score. "Veni, Veni, Emanuel" is gorgeous.