What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

R-1111948-1526668462-4162.jpeg.jpg

Both CDs in a row, because you are either a John Williams fan, or you are not. The sound of CD 1 is better.

That's not the latest version... :nono:

6 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

It’s a shame that Dracula doesn’t sounds as rich as The Fury given they are from the same era, orchestra and recording studio (I think). Same goes for Empire I guess… one day…

…or Superman, which was recorded at the same sessions. Although that sounds at least mostly fine with the latest release.

3 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I worry sometimes that The Fury might be my favorite John Williams score.

It's certainly one of my favourites, and I'm not worried in the slightest.

26 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

You must be mixing them up, because the sound of the LSO album has always been fine, and while I haven't listened to the LLL release, I'm pretty sure it still sounds better there than the film tracks on disc 1 - and your post shows the Varese cover, where the film tracks sound just bad.

I'm not mixing them up. The sound of CD 2 (The Album) is fine but bares harsher mids, most noticeable in the strings and brass, betraying its age. Playing first CD 1 (The Soundtrack), then CD 2 (The Album) made it really apparent. Also, CD 2 is a lot more compressed, making it louder. However, just because it's louder doesn't mean it's better. CD 1 sounds more natural as if they didn't meddle with it during remastering.

I don't care if it's just nostalgia talking, I remain convinced that in no era were live-action family films getting better scores than in the 1990s.

One of so many examples, tonight I listened to Mcneely's Iron Will

unnamed (1).jpg

My latest project, one I'm very happy with! From the description: Music was an important part from the first conception of the idea - writer József Nepp wanted to make an animated music video/film for the Manhattan Transfer's cover of Four Brothers, this eventually became "The 4 Gangsters", part of the 4 rats' marketing tape. Composer Tamás Deák already worked on projects written by Nepp (The Mézga Family and Next, Please!, fondly remembered animated series with music iconic for generations) and took well to scoring the genre mash (as well as playing parts of it himself, leading his Deák Big Band): his underscore has elements of orchestral march, ethnic jungle music, synthesiser mood piece, noir introduction, jazzy chase and contemporary popish action, often scoring scenes more seriously than explicitly parodistically.

12 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Two James Horner classics from the late 80s today:

Willow - After watching the movie on Friday, I of course had to revisit the old OST. It's a nice album and a terrific score, but I need the cue that plays when Willow and Madmartigan are sliding down an Ice mountain in a shield. It quickly became one of my holy grails!

You'll probably find that cue in another Horner score!

The Sum of All Fears by Jerry Goldsmith

A terrific score with some great highlights. The song If We Could Remember would have make a perfect James Bond score.

Damn I regret to have missed out the LLL expansion.

5 vinyls of 1974....played in the order of an LP stack... so all the "A" Sides, then all the "B" Sides.

"A" Sides

image.png

The "B" Sides :

image.png

The Swarm (LLL) by Jerry Goldsmith

A great disaster movie score. The Bees theme is really fantastic, aggressive and swarmy.

The Towering Inferno (LLL) by John Williams

:heart:Simply the best score for a disaster movie and one of JW's finest. The five minutes opening will always remain for me one of the best musical opening and fanfare of all time.

Ok, now 5 albums of 1975, an "Automatic LP changer" listening experience.

Jaws, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, The Wind and The Lion, The Eiger Sanction, You only Live Twice.

The A Sides

image.png

The B Sides

image.png

The Son of Kong - Max Steiner

I really prefer listening to this sequel score of King Kong. Other than the first one this might not be a classic and the movie might be bad, but it is not as dark as the original and it has some nice musical like jazzy parts.

And the re-recording of William Stromberg contains in addition the score of A Dangerous Game, a great thriller like score. Two of my Steiner favourites.

56 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Listening to a little concert that was recorded two years ago today (and tomorrow) in my neighbourhood. What a treat!

What did you sing?

15 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The Son of Kong - Max Steiner

I really prefer listening to this sequel score of King Kong. Other than the first one this might not be a classic and the movie might be bad, but it is not as dark as the original and it has some nice musical like jazzy parts.

And the re-recording of William Stromberg contains in addition the score of A Dangerous Game, a great thriller like score. Two of my Steiner favourites.

I've never been very taken by the first score, but I've got both re-recordings.

Pin on CLASSIC TURNTABLES

Program of the day : 1976/1977

• Taxi Driver
  • King Kong
  • The Omen
  • Star Wars
  • Close Encounters

Nothing can be funnier than listening to the 2-LP of Star Wars beginning with the two A sides, then the two B Sides.

Time Tunnel vol. 1 by John Williams, Lyn Murray, Robert Drasnin and Paul Sawtell

To be fair I listen to it mostly for the Williams part but the rest is pretty nice too. I might check up vol. 2 later

Pinocchio (Nicola Piovani) - typically jaunty, Rota-esque style score (lots of the carnival/circus style stuff that Rota did so well) with a charming main theme although the song version in the middle I could have done without.

The Adventures of Pinocchio (Rachel Portman and others) - Portman's score is one of her best, lovely main themes and a greater variety than the chugging strings and clarinet solo style that renders a lot of her work a bit predictable. The songs are probably a matter of taste, but the mashups of Rossini and musicals (co-written, so it would appear, by Lee Holdridge and Brian May off of Queen) are great fun, as are the more straightforward pop ballads, including versions performed by Stevie Wonder. Quite an eclectic musical line-up both writing and performing but a quirky soundtrack album I've always enjoyed immensely. Oddly, next up on my playlist is Mad Max 2 by the other Brian May...

Adults in the Room (Alexandre Desplat) - While much is typical Desplat, the balalaika (I guess) led Greek element seems a bit left field until you know the subject of the film. Still, typically solid effort.

Haven't posted in this thread for a while, so some catching up to do with physical CDs I've recently listened to

Various - Quantum Leap

Meh.  The prologue and main title music is a great classic, of course.  The rest of this CD is songs sung by Scott Bakula, a rap by Dean Stockwell, and a bunch of not-interesting synth scores by Velton Ray Bunch

Cliff Eidelman & The Royal Scottish National Orchestra - The Alien Trilogy

Decent re-recording of selections for the first 3 scores in the franchise.  The Alien suite is probably the most effective; It really sums up the whole score in suite form.  The Aliens re-recordings don't match the power of the LSO originals.  The Alien 3 selections don't represent the score well from what I remember of it.

Michael Kamen - The Three Musketeers

OK, that Bryan Adams / Rod Steward / Sting song is actually pretty catchy, and it's nice when Kamen integrates its melody into the score.  The rest of the score, unfortunately, did nothing for me.

Various - Ron Howard: Passions and Achievements

This is a rare-ish Milan CD I dunno how many people here know about.  It's a compilation music from Ron Howard's first 12 films (Grand Theft Auto through Ransom), 1 track per film.  And as far as I know it's the original recordings from the original films, not re-recordings.  So you get 4 James Horner cuts (Cocoon, Willow, Apollo 13, Ransom), 2 Randy Newman (Parenthood, The Paper),  1 Peter Ivers (Grand Theft Auto), 1 Burt Bacharach (Night Shift), 1 Lee Holdridge (Splash), 1 Thomas Newman (Gung Ho), 1 Hans Zimmer (Backdraft), and 1 John Williams (Far and Away).  Despite the many different composers and types of films represented, the whole album really works! It's a nice compilation that can lead to seeking out these scores and maybe other works by their composers.  I wish more compilation albums like these were made these days!

I also recently listened to Dudamel's Celebration of John Williams, Desplat's Grand Budapest Hotel, Roy Budds' Big Screen Adventure, Arnold's Godzilla, and Powell's Forces of Nature, but I wrote about them in their own threads

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

OK, that Bryan Adams / Rod Steward / Sting song is actually pretty catchy, and it's nice when Kamen integrates its melody into the score.  The rest of the score, unfortunately, did nothing for me.

Pity... that's perhaps my favourite Kamen score!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Really? 

What aspects of it do you find superior to his work on Robin Hood? 

I haven't listened to Robin Hood outside of the film to tell you the truth, and that was a long long time ago...

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh.  Well if you listened to it now, you might enjoy it more than the Three Musketeers OST!

oh, wow, i didn't know there's a 4 disc release.

Would you suggest to listen to the ost first (4th cd) or the complete film score (first 2 cds)?

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's really an underwhelming score.

For me it's plenty of new stuff I don't know,  like  "To Die For" (well a bit "metal" for me...), The Black Beauty (strangely the expanded CD is OOR...), Sommersby, Dead Presidents, Freeway and the end of the 2nd CD.

Yea that To Die For suite is cool too.  The OST album is easily found

Black Beauty is gorgeous!

Sommersby will probably get an expansion eventually

Freeway is ok