What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

On 06/02/2022 at 1:32 AM, Bespin said:

John Williams - Rosewood (expanded, CD 1 and CD 2)

Trevor Jones - Mississippi burning

These are both fine scores. I have a lot of respect, for ROSEWOOD. "Look Down, Lord", is fabulous.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

John Williams - E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (LLL disc 1 w/ The Encounter, The Kiss, and Levitation added where they belong)

I listened to it on John Williams' birthday, after not having listened to it for a while, probably a year or more.  Damn, what a score - I always seem to forget how great the tender Elliot / ET material is, probably because JW only seems to performing the flying theme stuff at concerts over and over again.  But the whole score is so wonderful, every single cue.

It's a treasure; a complete and utter joy and lightyears from anything we'll ever hear now.

Father I have sinned.

I just listened to the 2015 remaster of the Star Wars OST using the "Dolby Atmos" filter.

And I liked it.

:blush2:

ab67616d0000b273e2add5f2d1440a02e4e10a75.jpeg

First complete listen in what feels like ages.

It's great, I love it.

A bit late celebrating John's 90th, I admit, but I've been working all week. Now, I have a bottle of unpronounceable Scotch and I'm going for it.

John Williams – Far And Away - Music Taken From The Original Motion Picture  Soundtrack (1992, CD) - Discogs

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Maybe I need to see the film to "get" it

14 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

I'm not sure that you'll like the music more. The movie is... well...

Yes, yes! Jay, to May The Force Be With You, you listen.

The film is, definitely, a guilty pleasure. It's a Sunday afternoon film, or, possibly, a wet Wednesday afternoon film. It's total trash, yet, somehow, entertaining. File under "so bad it's good".

You really don't need to see the film, to "get it" :lol:

ab67616d0000b273fa771bb3a76d6be10f6e50db

I've recently decided to properly explore the works of Italian masters Riz Ortolani, Piero Piccioni and Stelvio Cipriani. I'm working my way through some recommendations given in this FSM thread, starting with this.  It's not Morricone level or anything, but still quite elegant at times.

Sleepy Hollow by Danny Elfman

A really nice score that drag a bit in length (I'm gonna like Thor here and skip the expansion for this one I guess).

The main theme is beautiful and a great representation of what I love with Elfman.

:music: Seventh Son by Marco Beltrami. I generally prefer Gods of Egypt to this but it's still one of the more solid scores in his repertoire written for a particularly awful movie.

Karol

An edit I've made combining the recording sessions and the Academy promo. 

Pretty good, but not as great as Horner's classics from the 80s and 90s.

I still want a deluxe edition for this one though. There's an unreleased cue that is one of Horner's best action cues ever, and I want more people to listen to it.

I feel vintage this morning!

Waxman - Prince Valiant Suite (Gerhardt re-recording)

Waxman - A Place in the Sun Suite (Gerhardt re-recording)

Rota - Romeo and Juliet (Quartet Records, 2019)

:wub:

Checkmate by John Williams

Filled in this blind spot after hearing the main theme on Austin Wintory's latest episode ofYou Gotta Hear This. I'm not personally accustomed to hearing Williams work in this setting (AKA a stone's throw from Mancini, Schifrin), but the assortment of jazz and swing numbers is indeed good fun, and full of little touches of his musical DNA to boot.

The Last Run by Jerry Goldsmith

Another one I was able to discover thanks to Wintory's show. I've listened to this countless times in the past few months and do not tire of it at all. It's such a gnarly mix of the best pop and film stylings of the time, wrapped together by Goldsmith's signature ingenuity. I get some Barry vibes too; stuff like The Quiller Memorandum comes to mind, although maybe that's just an easy draw because of the harpsichord sound. In any case, if any of the Goldsmith mainstays could recommend something adjacent to this from elsewhere in his filmography, I'd love to hear it! 

The Lost Patrol by Max Steiner

Steiner's short score for this economical Ford-directed desert picture doesn't hold back the Golden Age grandeur. It left an impression on me while watching the film, and although it's hardly some spectacular hidden gem, it is exemplary of a different (see: superior) brand of film scoring that I've been missing in my recent listening. The Arabian Nights-esque main title is a little cliched, sure, and there's still a Taps and Auld Lang Syne quote or two before the end, but it's all hearty stuff. Fortunate to have found that this was rerecorded by William Stromberg with the Moscow Symphony Orchestra, otherwise I'm not sure how I would have listened to it. 

Sahara by Miklós Rózsa

Not a full score, mind you, but a crackerjack suite that I keep returning to. It's probably my favourite work of Rózsa's; the arrangement is so rich and lush, and does well to form a small narrative over just seven minutes. Coincidentally, the Bogart-led film would actually make for a great double billing with The Lost Patrol

3 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

The Last Run by Jerry Goldsmith

Another one I was able to discover thanks to Wintory's show. I've listened to this countless times in the past few months and do not tire of it at all. It's such a gnarly mix of the best pop and film stylings of the time, wrapped together by Goldsmith's signature ingenuity. I get some Barry vibes too; stuff like The Quiller Memorandum comes to mind, although maybe that's just an easy draw because of the harpsichord sound. In any case, if any of the Goldsmith mainstays could recommend something adjacent to this from elsewhere in his filmography, I'd love to hear it! 

Sebastian, Justine, The Ballad of Cable Hogue, Shamus and The Cassandra Crossing all feature similar elements (be it the pop stylings or the harpsichord melancholy).

44 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Sahara by Miklós Rózsa

Not a full score, mind you, but a crackerjack suite that I keep returning to. It's probably my favourite work of Rózsa's; the arrangement is so rich and lush, and does well to form a small narrative over just seven minutes. Coincidentally, the Bogart-led film would actually make for a great double billing with The Lost Patrol

Bloody hell that suite is superb... thanks for flagging it. Guess it would be great to have the full score although I'm not sure the vintage recording will do the music justice, as is so often the case with earlier Rozsa scores.

I don't think it counts as "Score" but I listened to "Moulin Rouge!" the other day. The songs that is.

Been ages since I revisited this one. I am glad I did. I'd forgotten how much I adore some of the musical numbers on this one. It reminded me once again how much I hope the film-version of these songs are released someday. Same goes for the other Armstrong/Luhrmann collaborations. But this one is my top favorite.

"Your Song", "One Day I'll Fly Away", "Elephant Love Medley", and "Come What May" are my top favorites of what's already available.

And yes, Obi-Wan Kenobi can sing man. Obi-Wan Kenobi sure can sing.

56 minutes ago, Drawgoon said:

I don't think it counts as "Score" but I listened to "Moulin Rouge!" the other day. The songs that is.

Been ages since I revisited this one. I am glad I did. I'd forgotten how much I adore some of the musical numbers on this one. It reminded me once again how much I hope the film-version of these songs are released someday. Same goes for the other Armstrong/Luhrmann collaborations. But this one is my top favorite.

"Your Song", "One Day I'll Fly Away", "Elephant Love Medley", and "Come What May" are my top favorites of what's already available.

And yes, Obi-Wan Kenobi can sing man. Obi-Wan Kenobi sure can sing.

Unbelievable that this lame Chicago won the Oscar and Moulin Rouge didn't. That was really a master piece of a musical film.