What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

21 minutes ago, AC1 said:

No, I haven't heard the remastered version. I don't often feel that there's a need for remastering but this could be an exception.

A rare example of us agreeing. That being said, I never had any issues with the original DRACULA. It's the only version I will ever own (unless it breaks down somehow).

DRACULA sounded awful, on vinyl, and barely any better, on the Varése release, which was a pity because I always thought that, underneath that bad sound, was a great score, trying to get out.

I've not heard the most recent release, but I'm assured that it sounds very good, Indeed.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've not heard the most recent release, but I'm assured that it sounds very good, Indeed.

It doesn't, but leagues better than the pinched Varése, which has an impossible stereo field with hardly a separation between the instrumental groups.

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

41P038QQYRL.jpg

Does anyone know why the master used for this original CD release sounds a bit dull and 'unfresh'? It doesn't sound like they used a second generation master (distribution or working master).

Don't know, but my audio restoration made from a new LP sounds better than the version they've put on the CD.

13 minutes ago, publicist said:

It doesn't, but leagues better than the pinched Varése, which has an impossible stereo field with hardly a separation between the instrumental groups.

Yeah the sound on Dracula is still a bit disappointing especially compared to other JW scores of the same vintage which sound terrific. I have to say that a Tadlow re-recording would be very welcome unless better quality masters show up.

Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit (Julian Nott) - man I love this score. Lots of brilliant themes beyond the original, iconic W&G theme, actually fun action scoring that sounds like real music rather than banging ostinatos that are just marking time. Yes it’s silly and over the top in places but that’s part of the charm. 

51 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit (Julian Nott) - man I love this score. Lots of brilliant themes beyond the original, iconic W&G theme, actually fun action scoring that sounds like real music rather than banging ostinatos that are just marking time. Yes it’s silly and over the top in places but that’s part of the charm. 

Cracking score, Gromit!

200.gif

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

In 1979, The Croad Terry Grand Orchestra released in Japan one of the first John Williams "Best-Of".

I never listented to their album... and don't want to! But the selected songs give a very interresting portrait of John Williams in 1979, fresh of it's success from Star Wars and Superman.

Nice!

image.png

(Original album versions (except for Jaws, the score version sounds better), Close Encounters Disco Version from the Remastered OST, Star Wars Main Title from 1993 Anthology [better EDIT], and yes Cinderella Liberty in mp3, because I don't have this CD... yet!)

17 minutes ago, publicist said:

With one of Powell's most charming main titles.

This is indeed a great cue! Ice Age 2 remains my favorite score from that franchise.

52 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Yup, definitely one of James Newton Howard's finest. In terms of action adventure bombast this is the best he's ever done.

That's my least favourite part of the album. But give me tracks like "The Crystal Chamber" any day of the week.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

That's my least favourite part of the album. But give me tracks like "The Crystal Chamber" any day of the week.

Oh yes, they are wonderful. And you're right, probably better than the swashbuckling stuff. JNH excels at the kind of wondrous/mystical stuff. I This material feels like a more polished version of stuff he did in Waterworld.

Was listening to Morricone's The Cat 'o Nine Tails again today. It's so delightfully bizarre:

Karol 

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Yup, definitely one of James Newton Howard's finest. In terms of action adventure bombast this is the best he's ever done. And while I wouldn't mind having the expanded release, the existing album is a really good selection already.

Karol

Agreed. It's a fantastic score, from a woefully underrated film.

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

Was listening to Morricone's The Cat 'o Nine Tails again today. It's so delightfully bizarre:

One of my absolute favourite Morricone scores - don't know why...

In a reality near you.

Jerry Goldsmith - Alien OST (Remastered)
Howard Shore - Videodrome (Complete Restored Score)
James Horner - Aliens The Deluxe Edition (2001)
Jerry Goldsmith - Total Recall OST (Remastered)

Colourful orchestral adventure score (the kind which is scientifically impossible these days, as we are told in another thread). Gordon shoots his load in the Riddles overture, which is a compact suite of all the good stuff distributed more fleetingly throughout the 45 remaining minutes. In a recent podcast, Gordon offers fascinating insights how he taught himself composing, which makes his imposing brass writing all the more remarkable.

John Williams - Dracula (The Vinyl/The OST)
Jerry Goldsmith - Poltergeist II (The Digital Score)
Elliot Goldenthal - Interview with the Vampire OST
Clint Mansel - The Fountain OST

Gods and Generals - Frizzell/Edelman

I get the feeling that Frizzell poured his heart into this one. One of the finest scores to come for this genre. It will forever elude me why this man never got the chance to look beyond the suspense/horror genre for his career.

James Horner's nod to Bernstein's childhood classic 'To Kill a Mockingbird' (it riffs on a similar tune, with extensive piano, violin and woodwind solos). For budget reasons much of the orchestra was synthesized, which could theoretically give it an interesting edge, sadly most of it sounds like strings and plucked harps played on crummy synths. Still, as a direct relative to the many children scores Horner did so effortlessly it's a nice addition to the canon.

12 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

Gods and Generals - Frizzell/Edelman

I get the feeling that Frizzell poured his heart into this one. One of the finest scores to come for this genre. It will forever elude me why this man never got the chance to look beyond the suspense/horror genre for his career.

Don't forget BEAVIS & BUTTHEAD! ;) But yeah, Frizzell's career kinda 'f(r)izzled' out after the 90s, even though he's still active.

Been aware of this 2004 Doyle title forever, but it's very rare, and I only got it now. Superb stuff, as sweeping as only Doyle at his best can be. A shame there aren't more opportunities for him to tap into these stylings more often these days.

Thanks for the reminder that I still haven't listened to that one, been meaning to for, well, years now!

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I liked The Walk a lot (film and score)

I remembered that, I could never get much into it.

I haven't seen either The Walk or Marwen.

We were talking about their collabs over the past 10 years, not of all time (nor non-Zemeckis score)

33 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Re: WELCOME TO MARWEN, I've neither seen the film, nor heard the score, but thanks for the recommendation, guys.

I hear that the film was...misunderstood.

Not really. It was a terrible film. Everyone should instead watch the documentary it was based on, MARWENCOL. That is excellent!

15 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

True Romance - Hans Zimmer

Not a uge fan of the more synths and rock parts of the score. But the xylophone and marimba cues are a hoot

They're great. People make a big point of it being basically a riff on Orff's "Gassenhauer", but it makes perfect sense -- a bridge to Malick's BADLANDS that used the piece, a film that in many ways mirror plot elements of TRUE ROMANCE.

You don't have a condition, @Tallguy. It's Jerry's greatest score, and a very, very strong candidate for the accolade: "Single Greatest Musical Work In Motion Picture History".

Ps, I love THE SHADOW, both score, and film.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

You removed "The Virginia Company"?  Really?  Taking out "Listen With Your Heart" I disagree with but can overlook.  But taking out the grand opening of the score is criminal!

Criminal?