What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

2 hours ago, Romão said:

And Planet Earth. That's my clear favorite from his documentary scores

That's actually one that I know and used to listen to fairly often!

The Artist - Ludovic Bource

I love this score!! Big fan of the scores from the Golden Age and this is a perfect homage from my point of view.

The themes, the orchestration and performance are all so good.

It's makes me smile, cry & makes me angry. Great stuff!

2 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

The Artist - Ludovic Bource

I love this score!! Big fan of the scores from the Golden Age and this is a perfect homage from my point of view.

The themes, the orchestration and performance are all so good.

It's makes me smile, cry & makes me angry. Great stuff!

It's great! You should check out the @Smeltington edition.

6 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Memphis Belle - 1990 - George Fenton

One of my Fenton favourites! Along with Ever After and The Blue Planet/Deep Blue.

4 hours ago, Romão said:

And Planet Earth. That's my clear favorite from his documentary scores

I could never get into that one.

This seems like a good opportunity to repost this brilliant bit of birds shot & scored in airplane dogfight style:

Fenton's magnum opus to me remains Final Analysis. It is a very Patrick Doyle-ian Neo-Noir score, pre-Basic Instinct (probably temped with a combination of Dead Again and Body Heat)

Such great scoring (but again, Dead Again)

How does that compare against the above, composed a year before Final Analysis?

:music: Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I am really happy with the OST album and it is one of the best Star Wars soundtracks ever assembled. Still, I added three tracks to it for my own enjoyment. 

1. Main Title and The Attack on the Jakku Village
  2. The Scavenger
  3. I Can Fly Anything
  4. Rey Meets BB-8
  5. Follow Me
  6. Rey's Theme
  7. The Falcon
  8. That Girl with the Staff
  9. The Rathtars!
  10. Finn's Confession
  11. Maz's Counsel
  12. The Starkiller
  13. Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle
  14. Good Guys Shoot *
  15. The Abduction
  16. Han and Leia
  17. March of the Resistance
  18. Snoke
  19. Ice Landing *
  20. Bombing Run *
  21. On the Inside
  22. Torn Apart
  23. The Ways of the Force
  24. Scherzo for X-Wings
  25. Farewell and The Trip
  26. The Jedi Steps and Finale

Karol

Yeah TFA is IMO the best John Williams album ever assembled and I totally agree that Ice Landing should have end up on the album, really one of my favourite unreleased cues of all the sequels (right after Rey's Training in TROS)

Weird blend of Williams' old 1970's horror melodrama with his post-A.I. more clinical minimalist style. I don't care what people say, this is great. The score might, or might not, be great but the development of this material is terrific.

Karol 

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I am really happy with the OST album and it is one of the best Star Wars soundtracks ever assembled. Still, I added three tracks to it for my own enjoyment. 

1. Main Title and The Attack on the Jakku Village
  2. The Scavenger
  3. I Can Fly Anything
  4. Rey Meets BB-8
  5. Follow Me
  6. Rey's Theme
  7. The Falcon
  8. That Girl with the Staff
  9. The Rathtars!
  10. Finn's Confession
  11. Maz's Counsel
  12. The Starkiller
  13. Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle
  14. Good Guys Shoot *
  15. The Abduction
  16. Han and Leia
  17. March of the Resistance
  18. Snoke
  19. Ice Landing *
  20. Bombing Run *
  21. On the Inside
  22. Torn Apart
  23. The Ways of the Force
  24. Scherzo for X-Wings
  25. Farewell and The Trip
  26. The Jedi Steps and Finale

Karol

Agree, it's a great album! Just had a look and can't see Ice Landing on the FYC, has it appeared elsewhere?

15 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Agree, it's a great album! Just had a look and can't see Ice Landing on the FYC, has it appeared elsewhere?

Film rip with sfx. :(

Karol

The Pink Panther by Christophe Beck

Certainly not as good as the original from Mancini but it's a lot of fun.

Pieces of a Woman by Howard Shore

Simply amazing and haunting. The Ruin & Memory track is perfect

Puss In Boots - Henry Jackman

Such a fun score. It's not really original, but I don't care, it's so much fun! Hope Jackman is back for the sequel later this year. Up till now his best work has come from animation.

2 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Up till now his best work has come from animation.

Wreck it Ralph and Big Hero 6 are amazing. Although X-Men First Class is also terrific. (All my early Jackman experiences. That's why Winter Soldier was kind of surprising.)

I'll have to check out Puss in Boots.

Just now, Tallguy said:

Wreck it Ralph and Big Hero 6 are amazing. Although X-Men First Class is also terrific. (All my early Jackman experiences. That's why Winter Soldier was kind of surprising.)

I'll have to check out Puss in Boots.

Those are both truly terrific. The way Jackman mixes his orchestra with the electronics and synths in these 2 scores is fantastic. They complement each other so well, wish he gets to do that more often.

My favourite cues from these scores are Sugar Rush Showdown, One Minute To Win, Royal Raceway, Nerd School, Huggable Detective, First Flight & Big Hero 6.

Turbo & last year's Ron's Gone Wrong also both have some great moments.

Catching up on some of the physical CDs I've listened to in the last couple weeks

Maurice Jarre - Ghost (1995 Milan edition)

meh

Marc Shaiman - South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

Still great

Giacchino/Tilton/Seiter - Fringe (Season 1)

Hmmm, I thought I remembered really liking the score to the show (I bought all 5 OST albums) but this one didn't impress me much.  Maybe I wasn't in the right mood.

Ed Shearmur - Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

A good but not great action adventure score

Mark Knopler - A Shot At Glory

meh

Trevor Jones - Dark Crystal

meh

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Maurice Jarre - Ghost (1995 Milan edition)

meh

A lovely score.

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Ed Shearmur - Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

A good but not great action adventure score

A fantastic score.

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Trevor Jones - Dark Crystal

meh

An exciting, and, often, beautiful score.

:music: Jumanji. Listening to the Intrada edition which arrived today. For a Horner family adventure the score tends to be very violent, atmospheric and dark. But I rather like that as there's is a sense of tension and stakes, often missing from similar movies. Plus I really like where Horner does his more textural and moody suspense material. He was terrific at that. Good stuff.

Can we please have a reissue of Something Wicked This Way Comes now? Pretty please.

Karol

35 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Best to listen to the C&C, on the 2-disc set.

Best wait for a redo that's not just a film stem.

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never seen the Dark Crystal movie so maybe that would help.

Yeah please do! It's a lovely imaginative hero's journey from the post-SW fantasy wave.

I think the OST is generally lower on the darker cues, when the duality and balance of dark and light are the key themes of the movie!

I enjoyed the puppet work but didn't like the movie at all. It was quite unwatchable, to be honest. And I also can't say the score grabbed me in any way. But I am willing to give it a chance one day.

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

I enjoyed the puppet work but didn't like the movie at all. It was quite unwatchable, to be honest. And I also can't say the score grabbed me in any way. But I am willing to give it a chance one day.

It's one of those movies that I can marvel at the craft and the imagination and not enjoy the movie very much. (I couldn't get into the TV series even a little bit.)

But the score to the film is a masterpiece and I listened to it just a few days ago.

Didn’t they sort of make up the script to Dark Crystal as they went along?  It’s splendid production and artistry, but the characters and story don’t stick. 

The score however… there’s just something about it.   It’s good at allowing your mind to paint pictures of a better movie.   Almost conjures up imagery of old sci-fi paperback cover paintings, if that makes any sense.

I don’t recall ever listening to anything else Trevor Jones scored. 

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

Karol

Yeah.

I had to struggle to stay awake.

Awful film!

TOUCH OF EVIL

THE FUGITIVE KIND

Two Fifties scores with lotsa generic r & B , r&r source and a few exquisite underscore cues.

Hmm. 10/10, for...

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

TOUCH OF EVIL

THE FUGITIVE KIND

Two Fifties scores with lotsa generic R&B , r&r source and a few exquisite underscore cues.

...but "screw you!", for...

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Yeah.

I had to struggle to stay awake.

Awful film!

Yes, The Dark Crystal isn't much of a story. It is all about the puppets, the equipment, the music, the staging.

I liked it for what it was. But actually, you can get easily bored, when there is no story, no action, hardly any humor and you don't care about puppets.

OK, I gave The Dark Crystal album a listen this morning after reading all the discussion. I do retract my comments, the score is indeed really good. I only ever heard it in the film and, as I said above, the whole experience didn't do much for me. The music as heard on its own is indeed very enjoyable. It's just a shame that due to some muddled issues behind the scenes we might never hear the full score on album. Pity, because the film turns 40 this year and it would have been a perfect opportunity to release this.

Karol

I wonder if a 1st gen multitrack rebuild could make it (strings especially) sound less like you're hearing the orchestra echoing to you from the other end of a cavern.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

OK, I gave The Dark Crystal album a listen this morning after reading all the discussion. I do retract my comments, the score is indeed really good. I only ever heard it in the film and, as I said above, the whole experience didn't do much for me. The music as heard on its own is indeed very enjoyable. It's just a shame that due to some muddled issues behind the scenes we might never hear the full score on album. Pity, because the film turns 40 this year and it would have been a perfect opportunity to release this.

Karol

The album was officially published on double CD, one with the OST, the other the complete score.

Yes, the complete score coming from the edited film stems because Trevor Jones has the original masters and refused to allow them to be scanned and used when that release was done. I think.

8 hours ago, Andy said:

I don’t recall ever listening to anything else Trevor Jones scored. 

The Last of the Mohicans, Cliffhanger, and Dark City are good

37 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yes, the complete score coming from the edited film stems because Trevor Jones has the original masters and refused to allow them to be scanned and used when that release was done. I think.

Transferred is the word you're looking for, not scanned. 

4 hours ago, Holko said:

I wonder if a 1st gen multitrack rebuild could make it (strings especially) sound less like you're hearing the orchestra echoing to you from the other end of a cavern.

I’m weird, but it’s precisely that cavernous (good word!) sound that makes it appealing.  Like an echo from long ago. Or something.  It really nails the “fantasy” sound.