What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Seventh Son - Marco Beltrami

I really like this score. The main theme, villain and love themes are all great.

The action music is, just like in Gods Of Egypt, some of the best Beltrami has written.

Just a shame it's attached to a bad film.

Beltrami is on fire here and I do hope he gets to score more action/adventure/fantasy scores in the future. He is so good with a full orchestra.

Same for me, Empire was for many many many years my favourite (because of The Imperial March, Yoda's Theme, Han Solo and the Princess, The Battle of Hoth, Bespin's theme, you know...), but the original Star Wars is so full of layers, it took time for me to appreciate it at its full value.

We have to remember that George Lucas originally wanted a classical score for his movie. Maybe all the scenes were made with very specific classical pieces in mind (you know which ones!)... It forced John Williams to surpass himself (he had to prove that his score would be more suited than existing classical pieces), forcing him to develop a different theme and texture for practically each scene of the movie.

Well, John Williams won his bet... the rest is history!

You listened to Star Wars yesterday too? So did I! Small world!

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Interestingly, this original score has become my favourite in the entire saga in recent years. It used to be Empire but not anymore (it's a close second now).

They're so close and they flip flop so much. But even in the OT Star Wars is unique. For lots of reasons, I suppose. Not the least of which is that Williams didn't know he was scoring the movie that would be on his tombstone.

I was listening to the LP program. It got to The Last Battle and it was playing the noodling, slightly silly underscore to Our Heroes getting out of the trash masher and I thought "What an amazing piece of music to have on an OST!" It's not thematic, it's not exciting, it's certainly not a centerpiece. And yet it was decided to include it.

Lost in Space (Netflix) - Season 2, Christopher Lennertz

I made the mistake of listening to this during a job interview (coding demonstration) shortly after it came out. So it still kind of stresses me out. I'd imagine an important safety tip is "Don't play bomb defusing music when you're trying to defuse an actual bomb!"

I told that story to my daughter. I still treasure the pitying look of "Wow, Dad might be an idiot!" that she gave me.

Still wow. The first season and third seasons are great too. But this seems to hit a lot of the highs and lows, the warmth and the tension of the show better than the other two. And yeah, there's a lot of fairly Williams'y bits.

Especially:

Gladiator - Music From The Motion Picture - Album by The Lyndhurst  Orchestra, Gavin Greenaway, Hans Zimmer, Lisa Gerrard | Spotify

Had a weird urge to revisit this... and it's one that I seem to appreciate more with each, admittedly sporadic, listen.

The battle waltz stuff and the Honor theme are all great but I do love the darker, melodramatic material for Commodus' antics. Am I Not Merciful? is a fantastic cue.

On 27/05/2022 at 3:40 AM, LSH said:

Gladiator - Music From The Motion Picture - Album by The Lyndhurst  Orchestra, Gavin Greenaway, Hans Zimmer, Lisa Gerrard | Spotify

Had a weird urge to revisit this... and it's one that I seem to appreciate more with each, admittedly sporadic, listen.

The battle waltz stuff and the Honor theme are all great but I do love the darker, melodramatic material for Commodus' antics. Am I Not Merciful? is a fantastic cue.

Where's the cue to the scene where Commodus kills his father? I've just listened to this on Qobuz and, man, it is much better to listen to this without the film.

I reckon the score is really good but a lot of it often sounds like an unfinished demo (like the slaves' arrival in Rome cue). But stuff you guys mentioned is quite lovely. And while the original album is fine as is, I would actually very much like the expansion for this.

Karol

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Where's the cue to the scene where Commodus kills his father? I've just listened to this on Qobuz and, man, it is much better to listen to this without the film.

It's this one:

I was recently dazzled by a live performance of a piece from Gladiator sung by Linda Gerhardt on this compilation.

:eek2:--> :lovethis:

Ok, now I think I’ve achieved the goal I wanted to achieve with my latest selections in tribute to Vangelis. Here's my last.

Requiescat in pace, Evangelos.

Vangelis - Invisible Connections (Spotify)

Zimmer - Inception OST

Elfman - Terminator: Salvation OST 

Shore - The Silence of the Lambs (expanded)

Goldsmith - Poltergeist (expanded)

Outlander: Season 1 (both volumes) - Bear McCreary

Some of the best music in television and it doesn't get the credit it deserves. Terrific stuff!!!

Willow - James Horner

It's as enjoyable as I remember it being (as seen in the movie), but is it Krull? Nope. 

The shakuhachi, which became one of Horner's tropes, is used quite effectively here, like "Elora Danan". The choir and woodwinds, a Horner fantasy staple, is utilized in a much lighter fashion.

Hopefully JNH uses Horner's themes and plays around with them in the Disney+ sequel series.

I find Krull bit exhausting in its feverish enthusiasm. Willow, on the other hand, has a nice flow. It is quite effortless.

:music: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Still buzzing after last night's concert. These things are so much fun, especially spotting some differences here and there between the concert version, the movie and the albums.

To me, this really felt like the last time big Hollywood films had musical personality. It was a wonderful time in my mid-to-late-teens when we had Williams' prequels and Harry Potter films, James Newton Howard's Shyamalan and Disney scores (plus King Kong), Don Davis' The Matrix trilogy Elfman's Spider-Man. Even Zimmer's Gladiator and Hannibal.

Aside from the big stuff, Michael Kamen was still with us and gave us his Band of Brothers. Elmer Bernstein did his wonderful final score Far From Heaven. Glass was quite active with The Hours and the final Qatsi film.

And Goldsmith was still around...

Karol

I love that score, it's one my favorite Elfman's works, but I still the second half always drags a bit, both in the OST and in the complete presentation

Shirley Walker - The Flash (LLL 2-CD set)

Man, this is fun. It's a close cousin to Elfman's 1989 Batman score for sure, blatantly so at times.  Which doesn't bother me at all!  Of course this lacks the conciseness of a single film's score paired down to a great short album - this is selections from 8 episodes spread over 2 full CDs - but that added length lets lots and lots of ideas shine.  One track even ends with the "That's All Folks!" bits from Looney Tunes!  Elfman's main theme is fun, but Walker's score is very good even when the theme is nowhere around.  I think fans of the Batman: The Animated Series music will enjoy this album too

Pee-Wee's Big Holiday - Mark Mothersbaugh

If you don't like the main theme, then this score is not for you. Because it's in almost in every cue.

For me, this is one of the best comedy score from the last 10 years. Great stuff.

Nice music, wine and insect repellent pairing this evening.

Howard Shore - Silence of the lambs (expanded)

20220530_192804.jpg

A Gathering of Friends*

I dunno, JW's concert works are far less accessible than his film music compositions. But the new arrangements of the themes from Schindler's List, Munich and Lincoln were beautiful.

*Yeah, yeah, I know it's not exactly a score album

Today I'm listening to very promising "young" composers who have potential, well I think!

:lol:

Mychael Danna - Life of Pi

Patrick Doyle - Murder on the Orient Express :heart::heart::heart:

Rachel Portam - Ask the River

John Powell - The Call of the Wild

37 minutes ago, LSH said:

image.jpeg

I'm surprised that this doesn't get mentioned a great deal. This is among some of the best stuff Silvestri has produced in 20 years. What a fantastic and diverse collection of music.

Totally agree. I discovered it only this year and regret to have miss the Intrada release. Those are so great

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Nah he’s fine.  Reactions say more about the people who get bizarrely angered by him than about him

Believe me, my anger is rational and based on logic and  facts- and his lack of them.

Some highlights of the previous 2 years, because... OMG, it goes so fast!!!

• Brossé - World Soundtrack Awards – Tribute to the Film Composer
  • Kamen - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (expanded)
  • Williams - The Eiger Sanction (expanded)
  • Goldsmith - Legend (expanded)

You start a new album with a remaining battery percentage of 38 %?

You're braver than I thought!