What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

16 minutes ago, Bespin said:

You start a new album with a remaining battery percentage of 38 %?

You're braver than I thought!

My phone's charging, you nincompoop.

21 hours ago, Stu said:

I’m not necessarily a huge fan Neil Degrasse Tyson but I am anti-anti-Neil Degrasse Tyson

21 hours ago, Stu said:

Nah he’s fine.  Reactions say more about the people who get bizarrely angered by him than about him

As far as I've seen, him and Bill Nye are rather like American versions of Brian Cox.

ab67616d0000b273d4acce2e095e6c9cd5bd929c.jpeg

Arguably HGW's best score for a Tony Scott film and probably his best melding of orchestra and electronica. I love it; it's moody, brooding and often touching, with the occasional 'ethnic' punctuation. Man On Fire is a close second but I prefer this for its more refined approach to the style.

:worship:

My favourite HGW score, by a country mile.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

The Swarm - Jerry Goldsmith (LLL) I hadn't revisited this since it first came out a couple years ago.  Man, what a great, fun score!  Personally I like all the "quiet" music of the expansion, the themes and orchestration are so lovely and they add a nice contrast to the joyfully chaotic action music.  I think this is a must own even for moderate Jerry fans (as in, between casual and hardcore).  I'll definitely be humming that main B-E-E action motif the rest of the day!

THE SWARM is, easily, top-10 Jerry, for me.

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

You start a new album with a remaining battery percentage of 38 %?

You're braver than I thought!

38% probably lasts me a whole day, and my phone is several years old at this point.

The Spiderwick Chronicles - James Horner

It was nice seeing Horner revisit the family fantasy genre he made popular with Casper and Something Wicked This Way Comes. And it is a perfectly enjoyable, but it's marred due to temp tracking or Horner just unconsciously ripping off himself. Still, he could hit emotional beats better than a lot of the new composers on the scene in 2008.

9 hours ago, LSH said:

ab67616d0000b273d4acce2e095e6c9cd5bd929c.jpeg

Arguably HGW's best score for a Tony Scott film and probably his best melding of orchestra and electronica. I love it; it's moody, brooding and often touching, with the occasional 'ethnic' punctuation. Man On Fire is a close second but I prefer this for its more refined approach to the style.

Did a search to see if I had this score (as I often add scores to my "up next" that are positively mentioned on this thread that I've not listened to in ages) only to discover that I don't own it, but the only score with the phrase "Spy Game" in it was... "Hundred Acre Spy Game" from the Winnie the Pooh movie by Henry Jackman. Well of course!

NP: Spartacus by Alex North - Still an amazing score and the sound quality is incredible, even on the full mono score. The way it's produced is excellent too as it's actually quite a fair number of shorter cues at times, but on this occasions, the gaps between the tracks is very small so it more or less runs together while still keeping them discreet.

Great Varèse Sarabande Productions (1/3):

• "Superman: The Movie". John Williams, Royal Scottish National O, John Debney
  • "The Agony and the Ecstasy". Alex North, Royal Scottish National O, Jerry Goldsmith (Spotify)
  • "Body Heat". John Barry, LSO, Joel McNeely
  • "The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad". Bernard Herrmann, Royal Scottish National O, John Debney (Spotify)

20220604_111655.jpg

9 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Jerry Goldsmith 80th Birthday: Filmucité 3

Great recordings of the classic Goldsmith score. Really love the Sum of All Fears performance which is better here than on the LLL album

I have to get this one... For some years I'm searching it in his physical form DVD or CD... But it will be in digital it seems!

Penelope (Joby Talbot) - is it wrong that I like this more than JW's?! I guess the original is a bit more of its time and a touch cheesy (particularly the title song which is clearly a "please give us a Henry Mancini style title song"). Given the flack JW occasionally gets for writing music that's too loud or epic, Talbot's effort is considerably broader and more orchestral than the poppier original. The Kiss, in particular, is surprisingly epic for a romantic comedy score. Shame the album only has 20 odd minutes of score, but perhaps that's enough.

5 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Penelope (Joby Talbot) - is it wrong that I like this more than JW's?! I guess the original is a bit more of its time and a touch cheesy (particularly the title song which is clearly a "please give us a Henry Mancini style title song"). Given the flack JW occasionally gets for writing music that's too loud or epic, Talbot's effort is considerably broader and more orchestral than the poppier original. The Kiss, in particular, is surprisingly epic for a romantic comedy score. Shame the album only has 20 odd minutes of score, but perhaps that's enough.

I love the original Penelope! :P

image.png

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I have the suspicion, that many soundtrack fans around here collect these albums rather like stamps, something to look at and to archive, than actually to listen to them.

I confess my listening rate is a little inferior to my buying rate.

But when I want to listen to an album, if I have it in my collection, it's a pure joy.

Sometimes I think, this is kind of a weird way to buy additional lifetime.

I buy an album and I know, listening to it once costs me one hour of my lifetime.

If I don't listen to it, I have won one hour of additional time, that I can spend differently.

So, buying a hundred CDs of one hour runtime means, a hundred hours of additional time (as long as I don't listen to them. 

:eh:

Probably I should go to see a psychologist.

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I have the suspicion, that many soundtrack fans around here collect these albums rather like stamps, something to look at and to archive, than actually to listen to them.

I did this. But then when the pandemic started in 2020, I got rid of a lot of stuff I didn't listen to or probably won't listen to again. Now, I really do only buy things from which I know I will listen to them. Otherwise I will maybe skip through some cues on Spotify, but that's it.

What I have now in my digital library is only stuff I listen to. Mostly on album, artist of cue shuffle. Going through my favourite cues at the moment from A - Z

For all the soundtracks I bought, I came to realize I really only listen to my favorites and anything else was just padding out my library. I listen to, for example, Rocketeer when in a Horner mood, I don't need Perfect Storm. When the mood for the latter ever comes (and it isn't often), it's on YT/Apple Music anyway and I can just listen to a suite or whatevs.

I know what you mean about scores be coming superfluous.

For example, once I acquired ALIEN I knew I'd never listen to POLTERGEIST again so I sold it.

I sold THE BLACK HOLE for similar reasons. MOONRAKER would always be my go- to outer space score#😁

54 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I know what you mean about scores be coming superfluous.

For example, once I acquired ALIEN I knew I'd never listen to POLTERGEIST again so I sold it.

Our tastes couldn’t be more opposite, pft. But I’m with ya anyhow.

Bensi and Jurriaans - clearly the most popular scoring couple in the world, but with no discernible trademark or themes to their name. The B and J is now scoring approximately 90% of mainstream high profile shows - how did they get there?

I mention them as they finally made an impact. Their theme to The Staircase is awesome (unless Clint Mansell asks about The Fountain)>

I want to make a clear statement.

I listen to all the CDs I purchase.

But I don't listen to them the exact same day I encode and put them in my collection, but I listen to them all. :)

I just have to find a good theme or subject for making my usual "4 albums" playlists!

It's always funnier to listen to a bunch of albums when there's a link between them, no?

Oh, BTW...

Great Varèse Sarabande Productions (3/3):

• "Back in Time: 1985 at the Movies". Varèse Sarabande SO, David Newman
  • "Dracula: The Deluxe Edition". John Williams
  • "Air Force One: The Deluxe Edition". Jerry Goldsmith
  • "How to Train Your Dragon: The Deluxe Edition". John Powell

Nothing could sour my love for this score (and that era), but this is actually quite good. That it took 'Mother' to get him to dust this off (and 'Cinderella Liberty') is a tragic reminder how artists often are their own worst critics.

I've actually never listen to Addison's score outside of the movie so I don't really now but I was about to check it out. I've seen both movies, the original being thousand times better than this one I'm curious to see if the score follow the same paddern

Happy 71st anniversary to James Newton Howard! :happybday:

• News of the World (2020)
  • A Hidden Life (2019)
  • Red Sparrow (2018)
  • The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018)
  • Fantastic Beast (2016)
  • Outbreak (expanded) (2015)
  • Wyatt Earp (expanded) (2013)
  • Dave (expanded) (2013)
  • The Hunger Games 1 (2012)
  • The Sixth Sense (1999)

Happy 71st, J.N.H. 

1 hour ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

He did a way better Kong score than John Barry.

Yeah, right (!).

3 hours ago, Bespin said:
  • News of the World (2020)
  • A Hidden Life (2019)
  • Red Sparrow (2018)
  • The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018)
  • Fantastic Beast (2016)
  • Outbreak (expanded) (2015)
  • Wyatt Earp (expanded) (2013)
  • Dave (expanded) (2013)
  • The Hunger Games 1 (2012)
  • The Sixth Sense (1999)