What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Comfort food for your headphones. :music:

• "Escape To Paradise: The Hollywood Album". Daniel Hope, Royal Stockholm Philh O, A. Shelley
  • "The World of Hans Zimmer - A Symphonic Celebration". Vienna Radio SO, Zimmer
  • "Celebrating John Williams". John Williams, Los Angeles Philh, Dudamel
  • "The Fellini Album - The Film Music of Nino Rota". Nino Rota, Filarmonica Della Scala, R. Chailly
  • "Music from the Movies". London Concertante

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (Joel McNeely) - I can't for the life of me think what made me listen to a score which is an effective pastiche of JW, mixing a few sections of the classic themes with strong new material, with perfect classical reference points (notably a lot of Walton and Prokofiev)... or, why Seth McFarland should have been the music producer for Obi-Wan Kenobi (or, you know, full producer as I doubt he'd have made a show less involving than what they have actually made, so far at least).

A MillIon Ways to Die in the West (JMcN) - Since I was on a Joel (not Goldsmith) roll and with Seth McFarland in mind, it seemed only appropriate to give their live action, big screen collaboration another listen. Probably the best western score Elmer Bernstein never wrote; terrifically memorable, energetic main theme and a charming love theme (which sounds a bit James Horner-ish but I can't quite put my finger on what).

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

Joel McNeely is such a terrific composer, it's sad that he doesn't get more projects. We're lucky that he and McFarlane they're a damn good pair

Indeed. THE AVENGERS is a fantastic score.

On 10/06/2022 at 3:17 PM, Bespin said:
  • The Fellini Album - The Film Music of Nino Rota". Nino Rota, Filarmonica Della Scala, R. Chailly

:thumbup:

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

One of my favorite Newman scores ever.

It's one that I've always loved. But it seems to get better with each and every listen. It's just so haunting, yet invigorating, in equal measure.

Interestingly, as a side note, all of the music in the trailer for The Green Mile is taken from The Horse Whisperer...

13 hours ago, LSH said:

image.jpeg

An absolute joy of a score. It's also one of the surprising few that manages to capture most, if not all, of Newman's best qualities. The gorgeous slow ethereal piano-led There Was Snow and Simple Truths, backed with haunting pads and reverby flutes and violin... the jaunty plucky stuff of Angus, Pilgrim's Progress and Hereford Cross... and the soaring brass and strings of Montana, Rhythm Of The Horse and The Very Act Of Being....  all wrapped up in a beautiful Americana sensibility. It's genuinely some of the most 'epic' stuff Newman has written. I really really really hope that he revisits this style at some point in the future; it is very very lovely and moving. Gorgeous stuff.

As I understand, this was a replacement to John Barry's score; whether or not it was a 'rush job', this is a small body of work that Newman should be extremely proud of. 

Happened to have Tuck Everlasting by William Ross pop up in my listening queue and I suddenly thought "this sounds like The Horse Whisperer" and, lo and behold... Winnie and the Tucks is pretty much a two minute approximation of Rhythm of the Horse. It's not that Newman-esque otherwise and is quite a lovely score, but clearly Ross was (I would guess) obligated to follow the temp track rather closely on occasion.

God Of War - Bear McCreary

God, this is such a cool score!! The main theme and action music is terrific!! Peaks Pass, The Dragon & Magni And Modi are my favourites.

The emotional moments are also great!

Can't wait for the next one!

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Happened to have Tuck Everlasting by William Ross pop up in my listening queue and I suddenly thought "this sounds like The Horse Whisperer" and, lo and behold... Winnie and the Tucks is pretty much a two minute approximation of Rhythm of the Horse. It's not that Newman-esque otherwise and is quite a lovely score, but clearly Ross was (I would guess) obligated to follow the temp track rather closely on occasion.

Yeah I have noticed some similarities in the past.

Listen to Miles' Story from Tuck Everlasting...

... and There Was Snow from The Horse Whisperer.

You're right though... outside of a couple of moments, the rest of Ross' Tuck is not particularly Newman-esque. Nice score overall.

GIRL FROM UNCLE v.3

Featuring Dave Grusin

FSM

This is how you program albums, or the way it used to be done when labels gave a s...

Each episode is One track. The best cues combined into a musically satisfying suite or medley of five to ten minutes.

Smooth transitions employing CROSSFADES - the horror, the horror!😵-and skillful editing.

Compare these tv releases to the stultifyingly dull QM releases where EVERY  damn cue is included; no matter how short, boring or repetitive!

A remnant of a more civilized time

That's a pretty underrated score. It sounds like a cross between Elfman's Spider-Man and Planet of the Apes with his own version of "Godzilla/monster music" and some Arab-influenced material. And the main theme is pretty good. 

There's some nice stuff in this, definitely. Bit of a head-scratcher as a concept but still an entertaining album for the most part.

Karol 

Creed & Creed II - Ludwig Göransson

2 fantastic scores. Big fan of Göransson and the first Creed is the score that made me that fan. The omages to Conti's work but also making a compelling score is a big feat to accomplish and Göransson succeeds on all fronts.

The mix of orchestra and R&B/Hip-hop works great.

The theme for Creed himself in the first score is magnificent.

But in the second score it's Drago's theme that is the standout. Awesome!!!

Monkeybone (Anne Dudley) - delightful and quirky score that was much better than I remember it. A shame that Dudley won her only Oscar for The Full Monty which basically riffed on Rocky (which Bill Conti had to then conduct as she went up to get her statue) as she’s written a ton of great scores.

Still listening to Lost World, been falling back in love with it after a long break from film music. I want to check out that thread here again that dissected each cue piece by piece, hope it’s still around!

Was surprised and amused at how Debney does practically nothing with this except typical slashing strings for six minutes. Not to toot my horn as I am not a film composer nor do I strive to be such, but I would think a Stan Winston monster exploding would offer something a bit less rigid. 

Am grateful toward whoever made this video though, always dig seeing stuff like this.

Christopher Larkin - Hollow Knight

I love this score so much, and got the jones to hear it again after the new trailer for the sequel.  The thing is, the OST album is a perfectly fine, a very well crafted and arranged highlights collection, as is the later Gods and Nightmares sequel album.  But between the two there's still so much music in the game that isn't on either album, not to mention the music is so good, I'd love to hear most of it loop twice instead of just the one time in most album tracks.  So I've wanted to make my own expanded album forever but never found the time, and I recently came across one someone posted online.  So I eagerly tried it out, but was pretty disappointed.   It was poorly edited (like on a technical level), poorly arranged (the evolved boss fight music was appended to the original boss fight music throughout), still missing stuff, and just not satisfying ultimate overall.  Luckily it motivated me somewhat to finally get off my butt and make my own, so maybe that will happen soon.

Lena Raine - Moonglow Bay

I love the main theme, and the quiet / calm/ relaxing tracks here.  The more up-beat tracks are fun to, but overall lets to a listening experience of constantly shifting moods.  I think I'd like to make a playlist of just the chill tracks and I'll probably listen to that a ton.  Raine is back!

Various - Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade OST

I've listened to this a ton since it came out; Not the whole album as-is, because it's one of the most disappointingly constructed OST albums I own, with tons of off-putting tracks I don't need to hear for sidequests and random stuff mixed in with the great narrative underscore.  By cut-down hourlong playlist is great!

James Newton Howard - Jungle Cruise

I listened to someone else's shorter album cut-down from the long OST album.  Hey, this is a good score that really faded out of the conversation pretty steeply after a few weeks.  It's worth revisiting, there's some good stuff here!  If they make a sequel movie, I could see him delivering a pretty cool sequel score.

hammock random

Georges Delerue: The Complete London Sessions

March Shaiman - City Slickers

Alan Silvestri - Father of the Bride

Jerry Goldsmith - Medecine Man

THE IRON GIANT

Ost program

I'm really glad VS put out a DE because it caused me to revisit this score.

I've gone from liking it to loving it!

Btw Did anyone else notice a musical quotation of the intro from " Theme from SUPERMAN"?

You know.." Bump bida, bumpida bumpuda"

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

sunglasses cat cat emojis

Thomas Newman - The Player
Joel McNeely - Shadow of the Empire
Jerry Goldsmith - Air Force One Expanded 
Michael Kamen - The Iron Giant Expanded 

20220619_143459.jpg

Good choices. And, I gotta say, nice legs!

Don Davis - Jurassic Park III

I hadn't heard this score at all in years and years, having never really been much of a fan.  I thought after all this time my mind might be changed, but it wasn't.  Admittedly part of the problem was that I listened to a rip of the complete version - was it an FYC album?  But it was a bad rip that both sounded bad (sounded like poorly made 128kbps mp3 files) and also was cut wrong so the very beginning of each cue actually appeared at the end of the previous track, and then there was a gap.  Really took me out of things.  I guess I'll go back to waiting for a legitimate expansion to finally give this score another chance.

Michael Giacchino - Jurassic World

I listened to the complete score leak and damn, it's quite long in that configuration, eh?  I had to skip all the source cues because the all rubbed me the wrong way (they work fine in the film itself though from what I remember).  I like the score a lot and all its themes, but sometimes these complete leaks can be a bit of a slog especially if there's tons of silence at the end of each tack.  Overall though, I was happy to be reminded of how much good stuff this score has.

Michael Giacchino - Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom

Also listened to the complete version.  Somehow it was less of a slog, maybe because of less source music.  I appreciate the new themes, and new versions of the themes from the first (World) score, and really like the horror-type scoring and use of choir.  I found myself with music from this score stuck in my head way more than the first one.

I was happy to revisit these before seeing the new movie, and now I look forward to revisiting that score album!