What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Lost World

There is just so much going on here.  It seems like every time I listen, it’s a fresh take.  And halfway through I strikes you what a genius masterpiece it is.  As a whole, I enjoy it more than the first score.   But I’m a sucker for John’s jungle percussion mixed with orchestra.   

If you added a little more big band jazz elements to the exotica here, you’d have a kick-ass score to the Johnny Quest film that was never made. 

Balto

James Horner was unstoppable in the mid-1990s.

It's amazing how, between 1994 and 1995, a lot of movies featuring his music were released, and almost all of them had an amazing score. Legends of the Fall, Braveheart, Casper, Apollo 13, Balto and Jumanji are some of the very best stuff he ever wrote.

I think I'll listen to those for the millionth time again to remember his tragic death seven years ago.

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

Up to that point I was still buying cassettes but in January 16th 1999 this changed with my very first CD from John Williams. I got it from my mum on my birthday and remember being very ill. This was a completely new sound for me that introduced me to a wider world of John's music:

ab67616d0000b273a3a5ec312515b189fecbbd07.jpeg

What a great September 1997 this was, Air Force One had just come out, and another parcel with 7YiT and The Edge arrived 3 weeks after.

1997 was a crazy year for Williams

1. Victory celebration for ROTJ SE (technically recorded November 1996)
  2. Rosewood (technically recorded December 1996)
  3. The Lost World
  4. Dreamworks SKG Logo music
  5. Seven Years In Tibet
  6. Elegy for Cello and Piano
  7. Amistad
  8. Seven For Luck (didn't end up debuting until 1998 but was supposed to debut in 1997)

And now 25 years later he's approaching similar territory and it's not even halfway through the year yet

1. new arrangements on A Gathering of Friends (recorded 2021)
  2. new arrangements on Violin Concerto #2 and Selected Film Themes (recorded 2021)
  3. Fanfare for Solo Trumpet To Celebrate the Reopening of David Geffen Hall
  4. Obi-Wan
  5. Centennial Overture
  6. The Fabelmans

What a beast!

32 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Indeed, and THE LOST WORLD, but both of these were released in the first six months of '97.

Karol already mentioned LW.

I got the SW:SEs and LW immediately when they came out. Seven Years in Tibet and Amistad followed for Christmas (plus Five Sacred Trees, I believe), and Rosewood for my birthday in January 1998. I think since then Stepmom was the only one of his film scores that I didn't pick up shortly after it was released.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

1997 was a crazy year for Williams

1. Victory celebration for ROTJ SE (technically recorded November 1996)
  2. Rosewood (technically recorded December 1996)
  3. The Lost World
  4. Dreamworks SKG Logo music
  5. Seven Years In Tibet
  6. Elegy for Cello and Piano
  7. Amistad
  8. Seven For Luck (didn't end up debuting until 1998 but was supposed to debut in 1997)

And the Five Sacred Trees album?

For some reason, my mind always tricks me into thinking Lost World was a post 2000 score.  It never seems to age.

7 hours ago, Holko said:

And the Five Sacred Trees album?

Debuted in concert in 1995 so for me personally not a part of his 1997 - I was more trying to highlight the compositions of his that debuted in those years more-so than the albums that debuted in those years

I have photographic evidence that Snark secretly listens to Zimmer.

One of his mates at boarding school took photos of him listening after lights out.

I will post those pics, unless Snark pays my ransom.

Instructions are in the post.

Mark Mancina - Money Train

Took the shrinkwrap off my LLL CD and listened to this today, for what I believe is my first time ever hearing it at all.  It's sort of a Speed / Bad Boys / The Rock lite, without a strong memorable theme like Speed / Speed 2 / Twister / etc all have.  There was a lot of fun music but nothing I was blown away by.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Superman: The Movie while travelling to London to tonight's live concert. Watched the film last night as well to refresh my memory of the theatrical cut. It's a magnificent achievement.

Karol

That, it is. Enjoy the concert. This is one LTP that I would have given my eye teeth to see.

Pictures, please, if possible.

Unbreakable (Original Motion Picture Score) — James Newton Howard | Last.fm

I've always liked this one but I don't listen to it often. I think it is very good but for me it only ranks averagely against his other M. Night Shyamalan collabs (which is still decent praise).

There's lots of nice moody noodling, a JNH trait that I actually admire, and it does make those bigger thematic gestures stand out an awful lot more when they arrive.

Solid 7/10.

Front.jpg

One hour of nice Hornerisms, mixing the "childhood wonder" of Searching for Bobby Fischer and Casper with the atmospheric synths of his more electronic scores and some Latin influences.

A very nice discovery! James Horner fans (specially those who like his "calmer" scores) should check this one.

24 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Front.jpg

One hour of nice Hornerisms, mixing the "childhood wonder" of Searching for Bobby Fischer and Casper with the atmospheric synths of his more electronic scores and some Latin influences.

A very nice discovery! James Horner fans (specially those who like his "calmer" scores) should check this one.

I absolutely adore this score. "Calmer" or whatever it is, as I've gotten older this sort of thing has become my favourite Horner 'mode'. Magical stuff.

I don't rank things, it's puerile. ;)

But I make 4-titles thematic playlists!

Expand your summer! 🍹

Jerry Goldsmith - Alien (expanded)
John Williams - A New Hope (Special Edition)
Alan Silvestri - Back To The Future (expanded)
Danny Elfman - Batman (expanded)