What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I still think that I can hear a nod to the Main Title from THE TOWERING INFERNO, in this cue.

I'm gonna fact check that. Hang on...

Ok, nothing is screaming out to me in similarities. Can you give me pointing to...? Timestamp it.

I don't know if @Naïve Old Fart is talking about the original "OST", because there was indeed a problem at the beginning of the Main Title, but it was corrected on the 2019 release.

image.png

The Green Mile” by Thomas Newman – HQCovers

What loveliness. And sadness. (Mostly sadness).

I do hope that if Frank Darabont returns to cinema, he'll invite Newman back to join him. This is quite possibly the most heartbreaking score that Newman has ever produced. And for a composer with a penchant for that particular sound of sadness... bittersweet and haunting... he most definitely outdid himself with this one.

I could talk about how moving this score is all day, but one highlight (aside from the obvious one) ... 

This cue, which makes a lot more sense if you've seen the film, breaks my heart. It moves from a sort of stirring and uncomfortable 'uneasiness' (with all those ethereal Newman textures) into a building and almost overwhelming 'dissonant awe', before falling into a gorgeous quiet release... and then that oboe melody* that follows... with those delicate yet damningly poignant strings. Christ. This is the kind of thing only Newman can do. And it's FUCKING amazing.

* this melody does not return in the OST, but you do hear another completely lovely version of it in the film, just before John heals James Cromwell's character's wife. I'd love to hear this piece in an expanded score at some point. Here it is.. at 35 seconds...

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

Alexandre Desplat - Little Women (Spotify)
Carter Burwell - Carol (Spotify)
Elliot Goldenthal - Frida (FYC)
Thomas Newman - Fried Green Tomatoes OST

Did you buy that FRIDA on EBAY?

I sold mine

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

image.jpeg

James Horner's homage to Danny Elfman.

It's a bit temp track-y, but has enough Hornerisms to make this one of his classic kid-friendly scores. 

Many composers shared this burden. 'Edward Scissorhands' and especially 'Beetlejuice' were all over 90's movie temps and you'll hear it if you know where to look.

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Well, even temps were better back in the day. 😄

Karol

Yeah, these days the temp music on Hollywood movies is just Inception, The Dark Knight, Bourne and Mad Max Fury Road.

Here's another one:

Duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh, duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh

add fucking infinitum.

When music writing becomes a program, I can do that!

1) SEQ1(4 LOOPS)+ENDING1+SEQ2(5 LOOPS)+ENDING2+SEQ1(2 LOOPS)+ENDING3+CODA1.

2) SEQ1(4 LOOPS)+ENDING1+SEQ2(5 LOOPS)+ENDING2+SEQ1(2 LOOPS)+ENDING3+CODA2.

46 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Cocoon by James Horner

A really lovely score halfway between Horner more jazzy sound and his more lyric scores. Love it

It's a top-5 (yes, @Bespin, another top-5! :lol:) Horner, for me.

"Gravity" is not too shabby, either.

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Cocoon was Horner perfecting that tear jerking sound early in his career. It’s a good one 

As someone who loves complete scores I'm often surprised when there is a suite that does everything I need a score to do. My first exposure to Cocoon outside of the film was the suite on the Cincinnati Pops CD (one of my first CDs!) Star Tracks II.

Perhaps I need to listen to the score more often. In my head it's "That amazing theme with the clarinet that kills me" + Wrath of Khan / The Search for Spock + Big Band.

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yes he was and yes, it is, but did he really have to reuse TWOK?

Gosh, I remember it so clearly.  That was the first time it struck me that Horner recycled.  And to hear it so prominently in the film, it immediately lowered my estimation of him.

But no matter, it's the whole product that counts, and Cocoon is some of the most loveliest film music ever.

I always liked this cue.  There's a thread on FSM about great examples of counterpoint.  Listen to the first minute.

4 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

One only notices reuse/“self-theft” when one seeks every score by a composer, which is not an advisable activity in most cases.

Yeah. I remember hearing Marion's theme in the theater and thinking "Gee, that's a lot like Han Solo and the Princess, right?"

The first "Oh, come ON!" moment(s) with Horner for me was Aliens.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yes he was and yes, it is, but did he really have to reuse TWOK?

Did he? I know he reused the Britten rip (in not quite the same way as in TWOK) in The Chase. Is there actual original Horner material from TWOK in Cocoon as well?

3 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

One only notices reuse/“self-theft” when one seeks every score by a composer, which is not an advisable activity in most cases.

'One notices' reuse/self theft in Horner when one isn't deaf or a complete moron.

Btw, this late 2019c recall of Horner/Newton Howard/Shaiman and Co. 90's romantic scores still gets me smiling at the sheer audacity of it's unabashed loveliness.

16 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

If you generally only revisit to The Rocketeer and Land Before Time, not really. 

(Unless The Rocketeer features an appearance of the 'danger motif' I haven't noticed yet)

Why not line up 'Vibes' vs. 'Deep Impact'? I'm sure there are even more precious examples, but i mean, come on.

Only saying that when in the mood to listen to, say, Horner, I tend to just revisit the favorites of mine (hence I named those particular two). I'm aware of, say, Wrath of Khan mating with Aliens, but I really only listen to the latter as I'm not a Trekkie. I used to own Wrath of Khan back when I felt obligated to own more soundtracks of composers I like, but gave it away as I recognized I never listen to it.

I've listened to all three of those at least once, but can only remember cues from Aliens. 

I actually forgot Horner's Wolfen score is the replacement, I associate that movie more with Craig Safan's would-be contribution!

13 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

If ALIENS is the first Horner score you listened to, I can understand how you can enjoy it.

But, for those who grew up on WOLFEN and KHAN , it's unlistenable!

And yet, I listen to it!

Double feature yesterday.

The Perfect Storm - James Horner.

Which led to my brother recommending Deep Impact.

So. Much. HORNER. And I mean that in all the best and all the worst ways. I've said for a while that the nice thing about Horner is that if he did a 30 second moment in a film that flipped your world but it just wasn't enough, it's OK. Somewhere he turned it into a ten minute suite.

These two scores simultaneously show that he was a total hack AND an underappreciated genius.

I've never seen either of these movies. But now the movies that are in my head are better than anything that could actually have been made.

Bobby Jones Stroke of Genius by James Horner

Never listenned to that one before and wow, this is exactly why I love Horner! It's so gentle, beautiful and so heartlifting. I don't know if there's much missing of it but would love an expansion of it

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

Bobby Jones Stroke of Genius by James Horner

Never listenned to that one before and wow, this is exactly why I love Horner! It's so gentle, beautiful and so heartlifting. I don't know if there's much missing of it but would love an expansion of it

I think it was about this time i really lost patience with his never-changing formula. The album has more music than the picture, afair.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

I think it was about this time i really lost patience with his never-changing formula. The album has more music than the picture, afair.

Sounds like Debney doing one of his Horner pastiches😉

Unbreakable Soundtrack

Man, JNH was on fire on 2000. This one and Dinosaur are among my top 10 scores of his, and Vertical Limit was pretty good too.

Unbreakable should be expanded, just like the rest of his Shyamalan scores. There's some bootlegs on the internet, but I'd love a carefully done complete edition.