What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

@BespinYou’re breaking some law, I’m sure. :lol:  I’m not one of the people who thinks the score dips in quality after Smallville, but there are some understated moments, like the trial music with the low register piano and percussion, and the “guilty” bell tolls. 

Raiders

What can I say about this wonderful score that hasn't been said already? I'll only add that I LOVE the Ark of Covenant theme, and that "Desert Chase" and "The Miracle of the Ark" are two of JW's very best cues ever.

I love The Brothers Prepare / The Shootout

A fantastic eight-minute-long exercise of prolonged tension and pay-off.

1 hour ago, LSH said:

Another momentous JNH classic.

Wyatt Earp (Music From The Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Album by James  Newton Howard | Spotify

Man I wish Howard could revisit the majesty of this. Thematic Americana turned up to the hilt. 

I just had a wonderful day listening to Dave, so I will give this a whirl. 40 seconds in and this is a good choice.

'Chinatown', the rejected score. And while now the myth is debunked that Lambro wrote chinese music for it, the fact remains that faux-asian music turns up at the end of the score, when the movie turns to the location, the effect is bad enough. Apart from that it's not unlike Goldsmith's score (the modernist writing, the sultry jazz), only that Goldsmith's execution is better by several country miles. Especially the jazz love theme sounds way more like like a source-music greeting card and never seems to coalesce with the movie. So let's remain thankful for producer Robert Evans' drive to Goldsmith house in early 1974 (he personally asked JG to take the movie on).

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Count of Monte Cristo by Edward Shearmur. Pretty much everything I have heard of this guy is really good, this one being one of his best. What I can't understand is why wasn't he involved with any of the SW projects as his wife was an executive on many of the Disney era movies (before her sad passing)? Such a perfect guy for the job. This sequence is brilliant:

Karol

Totally agree, he'd be a perfect fit for Star Wars (added to the usual favourites of composers like Joel McNeely, Bruce Broughton etc.) and Monte Cristo is indeed a terrific score, one of those strong 90s (ish) swashbuckling efforts that sits alongside David Arnold's Musketeer or HGW's Man in the Iron Mask (recent charity purchase and much better than expected). Aside from the obvious recommendation of Sky Captain, Shearmur's scores for Johnny English (ES for Bond!), K-Pax (surprisingly good synth infused effort that reminds me of Thomas Newman in a non-specific way) and Reign of Fire (which has some brilliant, dark but OTT action music in it). I'd have to give it another listen but I seem to recall his much less well known effort for Jakob the Liar being excellent too.

7 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Searching for Bobby Fischer (LLL) by James Horner

A lovely score full of "Hornerism" like I love

It's a great score, but there's other adjacent scores I listen to more (Sneakers, A Beautiful Mind). I did listen to it a lot the month he died.

19 hours ago, LSH said:

Another momentous JNH classic.

Wyatt Earp (Music From The Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Album by James  Newton Howard | Spotify

Man I wish Howard could revisit the majesty of this. Thematic Americana turned up to the hilt. 

Oh. My. Heavens. How have I not been listening to this for the last 30 years?!?

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Count of Monte Cristo by Edward Shearmur. Pretty much everything I have heard of this guy is really good, this one being one of his best. What I can't understand is why wasn't he involved with any of the SW projects as his wife was an executive on many of the Disney era movies (before her sad passing)? Such a perfect guy for the job. This sequence is brilliant:

Karol

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Totally agree, he'd be a perfect fit for Star Wars (added to the usual favourites of composers like Joel McNeely, Bruce Broughton etc.) and Monte Cristo is indeed a terrific score, one of those strong 90s (ish) swashbuckling efforts that sits alongside David Arnold's Musketeer or HGW's Man in the Iron Mask (recent charity purchase and much better than expected). Aside from the obvious recommendation of Sky Captain, Shearmur's scores for Johnny English (ES for Bond!), K-Pax (surprisingly good synth infused effort that reminds me of Thomas Newman in a non-specific way) and Reign of Fire (which has some brilliant, dark but OTT action music in it). I'd have to give it another listen but I seem to recall his much less well known effort for Jakob the Liar being excellent too.

I used to listen to K-Pax quite a bit. And Sky Captain. Of course. Heck, when he got Sky Captain I thought "The K-Pax guy?"

I'm listening on YouTube because it doesn't seem to be on the streamers. This is pretty good. Um... Training Montage... Hey, this might make good music for a Pirate movie. Maybe in the islands southeast of North America?

I bet this is a film that is better now than when it came out, just because they don't seem to make this kind of thing anymore.

I a little wrap up of the CDs from 2015/2016... which I purchased in the last months... Yes I'm a little late in my listening sessions!

• Ryuchi Sakamoto - Music for Film (Fantastic album conducted by Maestro Brossé, I love his re-recording series!) :wub:
  • James Horner - The pagemaster (That's a great Horner to meet you at last!) :worship:
  • Thomas Newman - Finding Dory (Nice fish music!)
  • Jerry Goldsmith - Fim Music Suites (from the Blue Max re-recording, conducted by Raine, I always forget that 2nd CD!) :jerry:

The Blue Max Re-recording (City of Prague Philh. O/Raine) - CD 2
1. A GATHERING OF EAGLES Trademark / Prologue / Alert and Main Title (2:50)

THE SAND PEBBLES Concert Suite
2. Overture (3:00)
3. Main Title (3:09)
4. Repel Boarders (2:31)
5. Getting Acquainted (4:15)
6. Battle Continues (1:29)
7. Almost Home (1:08)

INCHON Concert Suite
8. Main Title (3:43)
9. Love Theme (3:09)
10. Finale / The Inchon Theme (3:16)

11. TORA! TORA! TORA! Main Title (3:30)

THE CHAIRMAN (aka THE MOST DANGEROUS MAN IN THE WORLD) Concert Suite
12. The Red Guard / The Tour (4:58)
13. The World That Only Lovers See (2:22)
14. Main Title (2:57)

15. THE MUMMY Concert Suite: Imhotep / Ancient Mirrors / Camel Race / The Caravan / Desert Burial / Tuareg Attack / Undiscovered Creature / The Sand Volcano (15:20) 

OMEN III: THE FINAL CONFLICT Concert Suite
16. Main Title (3:24)
17. Trial Run (2:09)
18. The Final Conflict (4:03)
TOTAL TIME: 64:02

Maurice - Richard Robbins

My personal favorite of the Robbins-Merchant Ivory collaborations (speaking just of the scores, my favorite film of those is Howards End). :lovethis::lovethis::lovethis:

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

My personal favorite of the Robbins-Merchant Ivory collaborations

What the actual?! :o

Better than THE REMAINS OF THE DAY?!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

(speaking just of the scores, my favorite film of those is Howards End). :lovethis::lovethis::lovethis:

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I of course adore Remains of the Day: the novel, the film, and the score.  But I have to admit I feel some resentment towards it because I feel it tends to be overrated relative to the three Merchant Ivory Forster adaptations which I like more.  I mean, Howards End has a locked spot in my top 10 films of all time.

I'm not a Peter Jackson fan. And I loved King Kong. "This is SO self indulgent," I said. "I have NO idea what I would cut," I replied.

And the score is epic and gentle.

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

King Kong by James Newton Howard

A serious contender for JNH's most epic score. A truly marvelous work that covers so many emotions and moods, from the innocence and hopefulness of the first reels to the terrifying encounter with Skull Island, from the adventure in the jungle to the delicate bond between the Beauty and the Beast, and finally the tragedy of Kong's death. 

The complete score (which closes at two and a half hours of music) may be a little repetitive, but overall this is still a wonderful score. One of JNH's masterpieces.

The 15 minutes Beauty Killed The Beast on the OST is like a symphony and indeed some of the best music Howard has written. I actaully wish this was one track, and not 5 seperate ones.

Mary Poppins Returns - Marc Shaiman

I love this. One of my all time favorites. It's my childhood presented in one score. Absolutely sublime. The orchestrations, themes, performances.. everything just works.

I also love the album with the instrumental version of the songs. I'm so glad they released this. There are so many brilliant orchestral touches in the songs that really shine. 

These album always make me smile from ear to ear.

TRIP A LITTLE LIGHT FANTASTIC!!

3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

The 15 minutes Beauty Killed The Beast on the OST is like a symphony and indeed some of the best music Howard has written. I actaully wish this was one track, and not 5 seperate ones.

I am curious, what 'symphony' might that be?

:music: Final Fantasy VII Remake - Orchestral Arrangements. It is a nice little album of some highlights but I can't help but think it's a missed opportunity. Having attended the live concert last year, I would like to have 2 CDs of the entire programme, not just half of it. It is pleasant enough as is, I suppose, but doesn't feel that different from the numerous other compilations. On the other hand, a full set list from the tour would gives us an ultimate FFVII album to listen to that is actually of mangeable length. Because there are some really cool arrangements in there as heard in the video below (although not the same performance?)

KAROL

On 21/08/2022 at 10:47 AM, crocodile said:

:music: Final Fantasy VII Remake - Orchestral Arrangements. It is a nice little album of some highlights but I can't help but think it's a missed opportunity. Having attended the live concert last year, I would like to have 2 CDs of the entire programme, not just half of it. It is pleasant enough as is, I suppose, but doesn't feel that different from the numerous other compilations. On the other hand, a full set list from the tour would gives us an ultimate FFVII album to listen to that is actually of mangeable length. Because there are some really cool arrangements in there as heard in the video below (although not the same performance?)

KAROL

Well said.  The released orchestral Arrangements album is a waste of time, only containing the big hits, mostly sounding the same as what's on the FFVIIRemake OST.  Meanwhile the live concert has tons of other unique arrangements that aren't on the OST at all.  I really hope the show gets a proper album release!

Pirates Of The Caribbean - Hans Zimmer & Geoff Zanelli

I know a lot of people don't like these scores, but I love them. One Last Shot from the first score was actually the first piece of film music I heard outside of a film, so I holds a special place. Other than that, the scores are just a ton of fun. And the thematic depth is bigger than some people give them credit for. Just love them.

Order of my favorites:

1. At World's End

2. Dead Men Tell No Tales

3. Dead Man's Chest

4. The Curse Of The Black Pearl

5. On Strange Tides

6 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

This may be the truest thing I have read on JWFan.

That's the only one I purchased from all the Pirates series.

Curse of the Black Pearl has some great stuff and is a very solid score overall (and I think it has eclipsed many of its.. ahem... inspirations such as Gladiator). Swords Crossed is a delight. He's a Pirate deserves to be the mainstay that it has become.

I love the suites Jack Sparrow, The Kraken, and Davy Jones but I've never gotten into Dead Man's Chest as much as maybe I should.

There's a Pirates Medley in the Zimmer Live in Prague concert that just looks like the musicians are having the time of their lives. And Up is Down is a highlight.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

This score has aged like a fine wine

A fine aged wine... of just 4 years or so. That's soooooo American.

:sarcasm: