What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

:music: L.A. Confidential. It's still not a favourite of mine but the new deluxe programme is a definite improvement over the old album. Feels like the score is a more rounded experience which I definitely appreciate.

Karol

Other than my daily disk I'm trying to cut down on listening to Star Trek. Well, baby steps I guess.

Galaxy Quest - David Newman (1999)

image.png

Wow. Newman absolutely nails this Goldsmith / Horner Star Trek movie mix and then gives it all the heart in the world.

"Goodbye, Serris" is the best curtain call music ever.

Star Trek day 4, Disc 4
The Enemy Within (Sol Kaplan)
The Conscience of the King (Joseph Mullendore)
Shore Leave (Gerald Fried)

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24899-star-trek-is-better-than-everything/&do=findComment&comment=1926844

13 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Definitely top-5 JNH, for me.

Listened to it, based on your comment.

Other than the main theme/motif, it didn't stand out to me much.

Anyway, listened afterwards to Snow Falling on Cedars of the same composer.

Like it quite a lot, and of course most of all the Tarawa track which was used for the Matrix 2 or 3 (don't remember which) trailer.

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yep. That's also top-5 JNH, for me.

Second favourite for me, after WATERWORLD.

SIGNS is OK, but I was never able to embrace it as much as many others have. Not top 10 JNH for me.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1UfwGAzP1B2osr7jDF3Yvy

Very fun score that is kind of a mix between Powell's Ice Age antics/sweetness and his more action oriented score with some electronic elements like Paycheck. And the best part: it's about 30 minutes long (including the songs, which I skipped)!

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

https://open.spotify.com/album/1UfwGAzP1B2osr7jDF3Yvy

Very fun score that is kind of a mix between Powell's Ice Age antics/sweetness and his more action oriented score with some electronic elements like Paycheck. And the best part: it's about 30 minutes long (including the songs, which I skipped)!

But Howling at the Moon is WONDERFUL!

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

That's also top-5 JNH, for me.

Well, do you want to share all your top-5 JNH?;)

Waterworld is in mine too.

But I haven't listened to a lot of JNH to make a top-5.

Another one that I would definitely put in it would be The Prince of Tides and probably Atlantis.

9 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Well, do you want to share all your top-5 JNH?;)

I think we already have, earlier in this thread (I mean the JNH one; I thought we were in that for a moment). But hey:

1. WATERWORLD

2. Snow Falling on Cedars

3. The Saint of Fort Washington

4. Falling Down

5. The Village/A Hidden Life (cheating, I know, but they're kinda like two movements of the same piece)

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

4. Falling Down

Haven't heard this one, but I have seen the movie. Don't remember anything of the score.

And how could I forget the Village and A Hidden Life?

Yes, now, I have my top-5 then.

40 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Well, do you want to share all your top-5 JNH?

It's more of a top-8, but...

8/ ATLANTIS

7/ WATERWORLD

6/ THE VILLAGE

5/ WYATT EARP

4/ SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS 

3/ FLATLINERS

2/ SIGNS

1/ GRAND CANYON 

with special mentions for FALLING DOWN, and THE SAINT OF FORT WASHINGTON.

I'm not trying to copy you, @filmmusic, and @Thor, but it appears that we three have similar JNH tastes.

15 hours ago, Thor said:

Second favourite for me, after WATERWORLD.

SIGNS is OK, but I was never able to embrace it as much as many others have. Not top 10 JNH for me.

I'll never understand the extensive fandom for Waterworld. It's… nice? Signs would probably make my own JNH top 5 as well.

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'll never understand the extensive fandom for Waterworld. It's… nice?

Ooooh, don't taunt me! ;) Many reasons, and probably better served for the JNH thread than this. But it's partly personal: WATERWORLD was one of the first 10-15 soundtrack CDs I got, listened to it countless times, to the extent I know it by heart, so it's imbued with immense nostalgia. Right there when my film music fandom first exploded. But also the music itself -- from the swashbuckling stuff to the delightful ethnic colours (esp. flutes and percussion) to some ABYSS-ian awe and wonder to glorious New Age-ish textures ("Swimming" is one of the best film cues ever written). It's not only my fav JNH, it's also my 10th favourite score of all time.

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I share your feelings, completely, @Thor

I feel the same way... for GRAND CANYON.

It happens to be my 4th favourite score of all time.

Listened to it last night. Unfortunately it didn't do anything for me.

Now, I'm listening to Falling Down (I think it was in @Thor's top 5 list?), and again I'm not feeling it...

@Thor what did you like of it?

A lot of it seems like nonedescript music...:huh:

Discovering Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life by Silvestri - The Deluxe Edition.

Like he says himself in the booklet, he wrote this score quickly (to replace a rejected score by another composer) and mostly by instinct.

It's a beat-driven score, very electronic, so I think it have a sense to listen to it in his complete form.

Nice score to work by!

20221209_105551.jpg

Listened to it last night. Unfortunately it didn't do anything for me.

Now, I'm listening to Falling Down (I think it was in @Thor's top 5 list?), and again I'm not feeling it...

@Thor what did you like of it?

A lot of it seems like nonedescript music...:huh:

As is always the case with JNH, he's brilliant at capturing cityscapes. The beauty, the ugliness, the general ambiance. FALLING DOWN is masterful at this. The chugging pulse reflecting the heat. When he warps "London Bridge is Falling Down", that is also a brilliant move. But as far as JNH cityscapes are concerned, I think ultimately I would have to pick THE SAINT OF FORTH WASHINGTON instead.

Also, 'Falling Down' has an edge (the electronic stuff is blended most expertly) that his tries at traditional orchestral scoring didn't have back then. Only when he blended both his scores became really unique (and didn't sound like that kind of polished but faceless orchestrator stuff anymore that was so typical of the early-to-mid 90's).

Kundun (Philip Glass)

I can't understand how this was nominated for an Oscar. Ok, maybe it added much to the film, I don't know, I haven't watched it.

I actually like a very small amount of minimalistic scores. I think minimalistic music doesn't lead anywhere. It just goes on and on without purpose and sense of direction.

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

Kundun (Philip Glass)

I can't understand how this was nominated for an Oscar. Ok, maybe it added much to the film, I don't know, I haven't watched it.

I actually like a very small amount of minimalistic scores. I think minimalistic music doesn't lead anywhere. It just goes on and on without purpose and sense of direction.

I agree with your criticism of minimalism in connection to this score. However, minimalism doesn't always go nowhere, such as in Glass' magnificent score to The Hours.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

However, minimalism doesn't always go nowhere, such as in Glass' magnificent score to The Hours.

Actually this is my favourite Glass score, and one of my favourite minimalistic scores.

However, I prefer Nyman and Korzeniowski (I guess their scores are considered minimalistic?) to Glass's repeating patterns.

6 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Actually this is my favourite Glass score, and one of my favourite minimalistic scores.

However, I prefer Nyman and Korzeniowski (I guess their scores are considered minimalistic?) to Glass's repeating patterns.

I've recently started to like Nyman's music, but I still haven't warmed up to The Piano. And I haven't managed to get into Korzeniowski.

20 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Kundun (Philip Glass)

It did, and 'Escape to India' is a phenomenal final cue that is a little journey in itself.

34 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I'm a Nyman fan, but I'd say he's much more of a hardcore minimalist than Glass (post 1980 or so; obviously his early stuff is a different matter). Later Glass deviates even more from "dogmatic" minimalism, while Nyman supposedly was the one who came up with the term in the first place, so it even seems logical.

:music: Die Hard. Listened to my own 1-hour selection from the 30th Anniversary set. I generally enjoy this in its entirety but this is a nice and trim alternate playlist - 55 minutes of score plus two source cues at the end.

image_2022-12-09_184455874.png

Karol

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: Die Hard. Listened to my own 1-hour selection from the 30th Anniversary set. I generally enjoy this in its entirety but this is a nice and trim alternate playlist - 55 minutes of score plus two source cues at the end.

image_2022-12-09_184455874.png

Karol

Nice. We watched this the other night. First time with the kids. (Boy they swear a lot in this movie.) What an amazing movie.

I clearly was not as familiar with the score for Aliens in 1988 as I am now. When it just jumped into Resolution and Hyperspace my head nearly exploded.