What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I have a soft spot for Beowulf because it was the first movie I saw in the theaters by myself, without the company of an adult. Teenage me thought: "oh boy, I'm seeing in theaters without my parents a movie with sex and violence! I'm so grown up!"

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Confession time: I have never seen THE POLAR EXPRESS.

There, I said it.

I haven't seen THE GRINCH, BEOWULF, A CHRISTMAS CAROL, or ELF, either. Oh, the shame of it.

You've seen White Christmas, right?

Nah Elf is good. The rest of those not so much.  

Interesting to hear some of our younger parents here enjoying things more because of their kids.  Happens all the time. 

Had my kid been into Polar Express came out, I might have liked it more, but it’s way overbaked. 

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Confession time: I have never seen THE POLAR EXPRESS.

There, I said it.

I haven't seen THE GRINCH, BEOWULF, A CHRISTMAS CAROL, or ELF, either. Oh, the shame of it.

10 minutes ago, AC1 said:

R-1245457-1355022287-3176.jpg

In honor of Sakamoto now that his throat cancer has returned. 

Great score! I have listened to - maybe - 6-7 Sakamoto scores, and all are great!

Hope for a blu-ray release too, because I love the film.

4 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Great score! I have listened to - maybe - 6-7 Sakamoto scores, and all are great!

Hope for a blu-ray release too, because I love the film.

Now that you mention it, I've never seen the film.

King Arthur (complete score)

This is my favorite type of Zimmer sound: the epic one. King Arthur is one of the most representative examples of his "epic" 2000s phase, where his scores for period war movies tended to have a combination of melodramatic low strings, low brass instruments (pre-Inception BWAAHHM) and ancient-sounding choir. And sure, scores like Gladiator, The Last Samurai and At World's End may be more refined, but King Arthur is still tremendously fun for those who prefer this side of his music.

Oh man, how I miss this kind of Zimmer. He pretty much abandoned this sound after The Dark Knight (with a few notable exceptions in some cues, like the recent Holy War from Dune), and his apprentices' attempts of replicating it (Jablonsky in the Transformers franchise, RGW in his DC movies, Djawadi in Clash of the Titans and GOT) didn't come close to the epic heights we listen here in tracks like Aftermath (or All of Them! for those more familiarized with the OST).

ab67616d0000b27373535dc38fd877054cfa7830

Usually, this type of score doesn't engage me much these days (big, orchestral and traditional), but I somehow enjoyed this 2019 effort nonetheless. Maybe the versatility of idioms is to "blame"; a film about moviemaking is obviously a great palette to work on for Noll. Could have weeded off some 20-25 minutes for best listening, though.

I've been told to put covers with innocent nudity in spoiler tags, so I grudgingly comply:

Spoiler

MjMtNDU2My5qcGVn.jpeg

Anyways, these are some fine scores. Airy and psychedelic at times, but mostly elegant pop fusion stuff. While he's not credited on the cover, Zimmer has a few cues on no. 2 alongside his mentor Myers. Great release by CAM!

Well, the TV series AGAINST THE WIND (1978) was hugely popular here in Norway, and its soundtrack actually topped the charts here. But yeah -- like many Australian film composers, he never really got that international exposure he deserved. Like Chris Gordon (probably the most successful, though, along with Lisa Gerrard), Brian May, Bruce Rowland, David Hirschfelder, Anthony Partos, Pete Best and so on.

8 hours ago, publicist said:

I mean, the score's almost brilliant and that's what counts, but that cover looks like secondhand videostore, ca. 1994.

Flipping the booklet doesn't help, you basically do get a better cover, but with more glaring photoshop fuck-ups. We need someone to make a proper cover art for the Hollow Man expansion. It's surprising that no one has devoted himself to that task yet.

The Poseidon Adventure, but the FSM shorter program, using the Disaster boxset sources.

I don't know if it has been inspired by a planned OST or not, anyway, it seems to sum up the score not so badly. 

image.png

ab67616d0000b273f2d1e06e44d8bd203519f23b

This is just such an amazing score through and through -- one of the absolute best of 2015. Sure, the late Badalamenti had some help, but it all comes together beautifully. Adore these broad, ethereal, big electro chord leap tracks that are simply goosebump-inducing.

Die Hard (Michael Kamen)

I'm on CD2 from the 3CD LLL release.

I don't know why this is highly regarded.

It may support the visuals greatly, but I cannot see it standing on its own like, say, Goldsmith's action music.

ab67616d0000b2737279f39f92f927386c62ae45

This didn't get the attention it deserved back in 2018. A great score, composed by the new headman of Tangerine Dream after Froese's departure from this mortal coil. The classic sequencers are here (like in the 16-minute track "Wanderbaustelle"), but the whole thing is hypnotizing.

25 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Die Hard (Michael Kamen)

It may support the visuals greatly, but I cannot see it standing on its own like, say, Goldsmith's action music.

My usual problem with Michael Kamen.

I never got the big deal with DIE HARD either, although I'm sure it's sacrilege to say (I mean, I love the film, I'm just not enamoured with the score). I do love a number of OTHER Kamens, though.

Well, sure, he was not always on top. But I will always love things like BAND OF BROTHERS, CRUSOE, EVENT HORIZON, HIGHLANDER, OPEN RANGE, ROBIN HOOD, THE OLD MOON IN THE NEW MOON'S ARMS or THE THREE MUSKETEERS.

This is probably from only knowing the first score so far, but I struggle to pick out what the exact themes from the franchise even are (especially as the music in-films are a bit infamous for being heavily edited from the original compositions).

I did wonder if I maybe made a mistake in buying the big LLL set when I gave it a proper listen for the first time (not helped by the suite I heard on YT that led to me purchasing it was being cheeky by ending with the John Scott cue), but I think I've come to really like Kamen's general writing style after hearing it, Robin Hood, and X-Men a few more times. It's hard for some of it to stand out motivically at points, but it has my attention a lot of the time with its key touches and intricacies that he puts in his work.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

Die Hard (Michael Kamen)

Funnily enough I listened to Die Hard 2 earlier and had similar feelings. It’s a bit more fun and dynamic than the original (more action I guess) but I can’t say I’d be desperate to listen to it over and over (like a Jerry action score as you say). I probably prefer the Lethal Weapon scores overall but Kamen’s talents were much better deployed on things like Mr Holland’s Opus, Iron Giant, Band of Brothers etc.  Those are some genuinely superb scores. 

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:
5 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Die Hard (Michael Kamen)

My usual problem with Michael Kamen.

It's much more fragmented than your typical Goldsmith score, and it's long, but I still think it's fun to listen to. Probably better served with a well curated album, but I do enjoy putting the whole thing (sans bonus tracks) on around Christmas time. On a more closeup level there's much to like. The variations on Beethoven's 9th (not just the final movement) & co are fun, and the entire tower assault sequence holds up really well.

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Funnily enough I listened to Die Hard 2 earlier and had similar feelings. It’s a bit more fun and dynamic than the original (more action I guess) but I can’t say I’d be desperate to listen to it over and over (like a Jerry action score as you say).

Are you talking about the OST or the full score? Because your description fits my thoughts on the OST exactly, and is the reason why I never picked up the expansion. @crocodile once sent me a few of the clips that were not included on the album programme, and ever since then I've regretted skipping it.

15 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It was overturned.

The project leaked everywhere.

___

I love to reconstitute old compilations using new sources.

I reconstitued this one will all the Expanded/Remastered CDs we now have in 2022, that's great!

image.png

Atmospheric, melancholic, electronic score. I love the movie which is fitted for Christmas viewing.

Unfortunately the score hasn't been released.

There are only these 2 suites, in a promo of EIGHT BELOW.

https://arksquare.net/detail.php?cdno=SNOW-CD20061992

In the comments there is this message:

I am sad to tell you the production company responsible for A Midnight Clear decided not to release the soundtrack and since they own the rights to the music we are unfortunately unable to pass it on to listeners, as much as we would love to. We hope you have a wonderful rest of your day and thank you again for contacting us. Inga Assistant to Mark Isham

ab67616d0000b273d61b7574088f1f6f1c8ae813

Yeah, I know, guy on the left is not PC these days (intentionally so in the 1996 film, though), but still -- an enjoyable and different, satirical "Christmas comedy score" from Ennio, with his warped arrangements of traditional tropes. The flutes can be a bit aggravating eventually, though.

8 hours ago, Tallguy said:

The Last Starfighter - Craig Safan (1984)

Wow, does this score have heart. So much heart. It's got a killer main title and it's easy to dismiss the rest of the score as just being that theme. But Safan hits every emotion this movie has to offer. It's got action, adventure, romance, comedy, longing, sadness, heroics. I think the people who complain about Mark Knopfler's The Princess Bride (I'm not one of them!) wanted this score.

I'm sorry for the people who do not have one of the (many) editions of this score. (I have two. If I still had the LP I'd have three.) It's sadly not available on the streams. There are some lovely recordings of the Title / End suite from both the Cincinnati Pops and the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. The middle section (which is heartbreakingly lovely) is just a hint at what this score can do.

Greetings, Starfighter!

One of my favorite scores of all time!

@ThorRecently, an Episode of a Québécois series (about a rural family of the beginning 20th century in Québec) was removed from Netflix, because it showed a black face in a school amateur Christmas show featuring the wise men Three Kings. Your CD cover made me think of that!