What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

On 26/3/2023 at 3:44 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

Some (to me) lesser know scores by Williams:

The Fury

Jaws 2

Dracula

Dracula and the Fury compliment each other nicely.  

Lost In Space - Bruce Broughton

image.gif

Oh Lost In Space… you are almost a good score.  Broughton has a theme that somehow feels like it’s missing some notes or incomplete somehow, and yet it’s still tonally pleasing and welcomed when it arrives.  He really can write charming melodies, and his strength is when he is writing in peaceful wonder mode.  I’ve finally identified Broughton’s weakness though. He can’t write action music.   Silverado has this problem too.  Maybe someone who knows Tombstone more than I do can point me to a juicy action cue?  But seriously, his action music seems sloppy and disjointed, with nothing to grab onto. 

I still like this score’s awkward little theme. It’s what keeps it in my collection and gets it an occasional spin. 

3 hours ago, Andy said:

Lost In Space - Bruce Broughton

image.gif

Oh Lost In Space… you are almost a good score.  Broughton has a theme that somehow feels like it’s missing some notes or incomplete somehow, and yet it’s still tonally pleasing and welcomed when it arrives.  He really can write charming melodies, and his strength is when he is writing in peaceful wonder mode.  I’ve finally identified Broughton’s weakness though. He can’t write action music.   Silverado has this problem too.  Maybe someone who knows Tombstone more than I do can point me to a juicy action cue?  But seriously, his action music seems sloppy and disjointed, with nothing to grab onto. 

I still like this score’s awkward little theme. It’s what keeps it in my collection and gets it an occasional spin. 

A slightly dissapointing but fair take.

Now I need to both defend Lost in Space an comb through Rescuers Down Under for a great action cue!

OK, I'm listening to Cutthroat Island. I think Debney's greatest strength is why he's never become a "name" composer. He sounds like whatever you want him to. While I realize that this film came out after Stargate it's kind of amazing to realize that this predated Independence Day by a year.

I haven't seen the film since I saw it in the cinema. Does it suck as much as I remember? Truly one of my great movie disappointments of all time.

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Now I need to both defend Lost in Space and comb through Rescuers Down Under for a great action cue!

McLeach's Lie, or perhaps Marahute Caught?  Bernard The Hero?

(Spiders Attack rocks, btw, even without, but especially with the insert.

Also Jupiter Crash.  And Where's Judy/Judy Is Dying.  And Though The Planet.  And the original Through The Planet.

And I'm 100% gonna listen to this score again at work tonight.)

There's that one cue that shows up in Lego Indy, (that I believe is taken from Young Indy,) that sounds a lot like the famous cue from RDU.

49 minutes ago, Andy said:

I’ve not heard Rescuers Down Under.  Hopefully I don’t like it because it’s out of print. ;)

If you like Broughton at all I wouldn't take that bet. :D

50 minutes ago, Andy said:

I’ve not heard Rescuers Down Under.  Hopefully I don’t like it because it’s out of print. ;)

It's his best score. But I don't own it on physical format either. Too expensive on the secondary market.

3 hours ago, Andy said:

https://www.amazon.com/Rescuers-Down-Under-Bonus-Version/dp/B01M1VWYMM

It is available, right at this very moment, digitally on Amazon mp3.

You could always give the OST a try that way.

47 minutes ago, Andy said:

Anyone wanna trade me RDU for Lost in Space?;)

Oh dear. Did you listen?

That would be a tough call. My three favorite Broughtons are Silverado, Lost in Space, and The Rescuers Down Under.

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Oh dear. Did you listen?

That would be a tough call. My three favorite Broughtons are Silverado, Lost in Space, and The Rescuers Down Under.

No I was just kidding. I gave the OST a start this evening. Enjoyed the flying music, but not the Mickey mousing.  I’ll give it more attention soon though, but my initial impression was it sounds like exactly what it is, animated family fare. 

My favorite Broughton is Young Sherlock Holmes. 

When this one came out in early 2018, many people (especially older Silvestri fans) thought this was a better score than Infinity War. I used to be one of those... Until my appreciation for IW grew exponentially after I saw the movie and listened to the album a few times more over the course of these years. 

Infinity War, actually, might be Silvestri's best Avengers/MCU score. A huge orchestra-and-choir extravaganza that balances its many epic moments and bombastic action material with interesting dramatic writing. I think I prefer it to Endgame, which has the Portals cue and amazing end titles, but also some boring underscore.

As for RP1, I need to revisit it, hadn't heard it in a long time.

image.jpeg

Often discussions here lead to tangential selections. I hadn’t listened to Alex North’s 2001 score in a long time, but it came up in a chat about Dragonslayer.  One great thing about this place, it helps me decide what to listen to. 

I really dig this.  Especially the cue Eat Meat and Kill.  The timpani and other percussion is aggressive, but not just booming for a subwoofer. It’s sharp and tonal.  This recording sounds better than I remember.  Better than I expected.   I miss this type of percussion in contemporary scoring. 

Of course the Space Station Docking cue would be repurposed for Dragonslayer, but it’s pretty darn delightful in this context.  

Moon Rocket Bus is a little gem here as well. 

Still so grateful to have this. 

24 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

When this one came out in early 2018, many people (especially older Silvestri fans) thought this was a better score than Infinity War. I used to be one of those... Until my appreciation for IW grew exponentially after I saw the movie and listened to the album a few times more over the course of these years. 

Infinity War, actually, might be Silvestri's best Avengers/MCU score. A huge orchestra-and-choir extravaganza that balances its many epic moments and bombastic action material with interesting dramatic writing. I think I prefer it to Endgame, which has the Portals cue and amazing end titles, but also some boring underscore.

As for RP1, I need to revisit it, hadn't heard it in a long time.

But Endgame has Arrival, the Halfengers theme statement in No Trust, Becoming Whole Again, I figured It Out, perfectly not confusing, the how works, so many stairs, the BTTF3 esque "snap out of it", one shot, Not Good, Gotta Get Out, The Real Hero, Main on End...

25 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

But Endgame has Arrival, the Halfengers theme statement in No Trust, Becoming Whole Again, I figured It Out, perfectly not confusing, the how works, so many stairs, the BTTF3 esque "snap out of it", one shot, Not Good, Gotta Get Out, The Real Hero, Main on End...

I'm not saying Endgame is bad or anything, in fact, I quite like it. Main on Ends was my favorite cue of 2019. But I still think Infinity War is the more fully realized of his Avengers scores. 

Within the context of Silvestri's career, I think Infinity War was the one that pushed him the most out of the comfort zone he established for himself in action scores (which he had been in since the 2000s with scores like G.I. Joe, Beowulf, The A-Team, RED 2, the first Avengers, etc). I love the menacing subtlety of Thanos' material (Porch is one of the best-scored scenes of the entire MCU), the tragedy of Even for You and I Feel You, the female choir in More Power, his playful Spider-Man material...

But yeah, Endgame has Portals, which is MVP among Marvel music, lol.

I have to admit, I am a bit biased, as Endgame was the first MCU film I saw in the theatre (in my hometown! sadly COVID killed it) prior to listening to the score.

10 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Has anyone heard Broughton's Moonwalker?

I kind of like that one!

I didn't. I must confess, so far I heard nothing from Broughton that grew the need in me to buy one of his scores. 

But I quite like his piano pieces on the Gloria Cheng's Montage album. They are probably my favourites there.

And I might give his westerns and Young Sherlock Holmes a listen.

Infinity War is my least favorite score to listen to where every note is absolutely perfect in the movie. As far as what its job is? To be a movie score? There is not a note out of place.

48 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Infinity War is my least favorite score to listen to where every note is absolutely perfect in the movie. As far as what its job is? To be a movie score? There is not a note out of place.

I have to admit that I have never really got much from any of Silvestri's Avengers scores and I don't really know why. I much prefer the Tyler/Elfman effort for Age of Ultron. However, I will give them another listen...

22 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I have to admit that I have never really got much from any of Silvestri's Avengers scores and I don't really know why. I much prefer the Tyler/Elfman effort for Age of Ultron. However, I will give them another listen...

Stay tuned, while I make you a 1 hour highlight album from all three.

;)

4 hours ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Stay tuned, while I make you a 1 hour highlight album from all three.

I see what you did, there.

45 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

The A-Team - Mike Post & Pete Carpenter

I love this score. Of course the main theme is iconic but there are so many great other pieces. Sooo funky!!

We summon every childhood ghost we've seen, then, suddenly, we hear that Mike Post theme.

22 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Krull - James Horner

Confession time...I never heard this score before today🙄. It's great.

I get why so many people talk about Ride Of The Firemares!! It's breathtaking

I agree. But I find this squeaking trumpet in the score a little annoying from time to time.

I always liked the choir in Widows Lullaby and Widows Web.

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Krull - James Horner

Confession time...I never heard this score before today🙄. It's great.

I get why so many people talk about Ride Of The Firemares!! It's breathtaking

Come on you brass bitches. Let me hear those leaps. No time for breathing.