What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Boston Pops would have done a better job on LC than the studio orchestra employed did.

Well, the BP recording of the Scherzo certainly has more awesomeness than the OST recording, but that's mostly due to a different interpretation and a different tempo (the latter an important factor, since it means that's just not how it was written for the film and thus couldn't have been performed this way on the OST).

I adore the LC score. There's a solemnity to its mystic side that's not there in the other Indy scores. The set pieces are mostly awesome - Venice, the Tank music, the Scherzo, the Boat scene that was unavailable for so long... If anything, I find the prologue music to be a bit too over the top, but it's still great (and perhaps the cue that comes closest to the original Raiders score).

Tomorrow Never Dies by David Arnold

This is great! While I enjoy (to various degrees) all the other five, this one is the most enjoyable. A great throwback and yet a very modern music. This is how you do an homage! Pity there isn't any album that would contain the whole thing. In the era of iTunes this is not a great problem though. ;)

Now I need to venture into John Barry's scores. I know some bits and pieces and I own Diamonds Are Forever. Where do I start?

Karol

I now what problem do I have with all the sequels. Unlike Raiders, they are all too tongue-in-cheek. There is a lot of humor in the first score too, but it seems to be written for an entirely different kind of movie. Raiders score feels more like an Golden Age score or a war movie score (almost like Patton). It is an adventure music, but never goes overboard like the others do. The tension is real and the character is treated with some sort of...respect.

Very nicely put. The humor is very, very different in Raiders...much more serious, which somehow makes it much more funny. The music reflects this. In TOD, I think it actually works okay for the score, which is far better than the film deserves. As long as you go in expecting an over-the-top, zany score, it's a fun ride, though Raiders will always be my favorite of the two scores. TLC's score also reflects the tone of the film, but I think it hurts this score a lot more, even though I like the film better than TOD. It feels so...self-congratulatory and jaunty and...I don't even know how to describe it. The best moments of the score are when it gets away from that bloated feel and offers true excitement, tenderness, sadness, horror, joy, or whatever. Anything that feels real, basically.

Anyway, Raiders (the film and the score) is definitely in a whole different class than its successors, and I vastly prefer that class.

I think ToD is the worst of the original trilogy scores...well, the least awesome. The action music is not very focused, I find it just jumps from one theme to another, pasted together with an idea that could be a motif for the setpiece but we never end up hearing again. It's great music, but it doesn't compare to the action music from Raiders, LC, or even KotCS (and I realize that this is similar to the criticism Williams gets for his modern action music, but for some reason he is able to pull it off better than he was in ToD).

Some parts of TOD feel like that to me, but a lot of it is more focused. And on a moment-to-moment basis, I find the action music to be a lot more focused and accessible than the action music in KOTCS, which is great at times, but often feels like a jumble of Williams' action music cliches of the 2000s.

Is Indy 4 a typical Williams of the 00's? Sure. But at the same time most of his scores (with a few exceptions) are full of cliches from his sound of any given era. I'm not saying it in a bad sense, of course. It's just a matter of which sensibilities do you prefer.

Karol

I think ToD is the worst of the original trilogy scores...well, the least awesome. The action music is not very focused, I find it just jumps from one theme to another, pasted together with an idea that could be a motif for the setpiece but we never end up hearing again. It's great music, but it doesn't compare to the action music from Raiders, LC, or even KotCS (and I realize that this is similar to the criticism Williams gets for his modern action music, but for some reason he is able to pull it off better than he was in ToD).

Well, it did take you a while to come around to Superman ;)

I went to a dying branch of Borders yesterday and found a copy of 'Legend of the Guardians' on sale, and since I vaguely remembered some people liked it I bought it. Geez, what a wonderful fantasy score, great main theme in numerous variations, good secondary themes, frequent choir employment... I think this score has been woefully underrated. It's certainly not high art, but a great old-fashioned pleasure to listen to (in it's best moments like "Willow" or "Land before Time"... Now I have to listen to my second purchase, "How to train your Dragon" :)

I went to a dying branch of Borders yesterday and found a copy of 'Legend of the Guardians' on sale, and since I vaguely remembered some people liked it I bought it. Geez, what a wonderful fantasy score, great main theme in numerous variations, good secondary themes, frequent choir employment... I think this score has been woefully underrated. It's certainly not high art, but a great old-fashioned pleasure to listen to (in it's best moments like "Willow" or "Land before Time"... Now I have to listen to my second purchase, "How to train your Dragon" :)

Funny, the same thing happened to me at a Borders store yesterday! Got it for a total of $6.50. Really great considering only 2 days before I was bidding on a copy on Ebay, went up to $25, and still lost.

Funny, the same thing happened to me at a Borders store yesterday! Got it for a total of $6.50. Really great considering only 2 days before I was bidding on a copy on Ebay, went up to $25, and still lost.

Well, that's luck; congrats :-). So while some people tried to exploit the strange marketing decision by Warner to only have a CD release at Borders by milking score fans on Ebay, there were still some copies gathering dust at the local stores... funny. So how do you like the CD? I was attempting to read a book while listening to the score the first time, but I was so distracted that I gave up and solely listened to the music in the end.

KOTCS > LC > TOD > ROTLA

Wow, I didn't think there was anyone who would admit to it. The scores are too close for me to rank, but this might be my order.

I've got to admit that the alien sounds of KOTCS is the only music ever that has genuinely scared me.

KOTCS > LC > TOD > ROTLA

Wow, I didn't think there was anyone who would admit to it. The scores are too close for me to rank, but this might be my order.

I've got to admit that the alien sounds of KOTCS is the only music ever that has genuinely scared me.

I think you should listen to Jaws more! Or at least Alien. Or perhaps Mariah Carey.

Admittedly, the alien/Skull music is by far the most interesting of the score.

I think you should listen to Jaws more! Or at least Alien. Or perhaps Mariah Carey.

But Jaws is fun! With Alien I can't even remember most of the music... I'll give it another listen.

My favourite parts of KOTCS are the skull music and the themes for the villains.

KOTCS > LC > TOD > ROTLA

You mean that "The Abduction Of Barry", doesn't make you fill your pants?!

KOTCS > LC > TOD > ROTLA

I saw Mariah Carey once, up in the Birmingham NEC. She made a sound I would not want to hear twice in my life.

The Matrix

This is the complete score of course. Been a long time since I've listened to it, forgotten how good it is. I'm currently on The Matrix Reloaded and will listen to The Matrix Revolutions after this.

KOTCS > LC > TOD > ROTLA

Also scary: Images (Williams) and Freud (Goldsmith)

Heartbeeps scared the living hell out of me. Just to think that in 1981 it was possibly a sign of things to come, a new brave era in JW's output... Scary indeed.

Karol

I listened to Heartbeeps today, and I find the strings in the End Credits to be achingly beautiful. I actually adore the score. Even with its quirks, and the film to which it is attached, it's got that special something that all Williams from that era have.

Battlestar Galactica: Season 4 by Bear McCreary

This guy's pretty good.

BTW I just noticed Bernard Herrmann's score from Vertigo is used in the latest Lady Gaga music video. If anything, this confirms he's still hip. :)

Karol

What scores would you say its most similar to?

I saw this film in 1976. In the U.K., it was called "The Scarlet Buccaneer". I'd agree with Mark; I'm not sure how I would describe this score. Before I set out to post this, I YouTubed some of it. To me, it sounds like Western music. What I heard was nice, but did not linger long in the memory.

For an alternate "swashbuckling" experience, try Philippe Sarde's "Pirates".

I love that score!

And I like the movie. Not nearly as bad as it's said to be. Matthau is brilliant. I want a Blu release.

I love that score!

And I like the movie. Not nearly as bad as it's said to be. Matthau is brilliant. I want a Blu release.

Right on, Marian. The film has "a certain charm", does it not? Walter Matthau is splendid in this. I'm not sure that you will understand this, but I couple "Pirates" with "Quick Change" - not in style, but in "feel", in vibe, but it's probably just me... ;)