What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Maybe. I kind of liked the score at first, but got bored after second listen. Same with Sanctum. They are not terrible by any means. Just a patchwork of different (and better) scores.

Karol

Bits?

The whole damn thing is marvelous.

But you already knew that....;)

:music:

The Trail Of The Pink Panther

Curse Of The Pink Panther

Exposed

Legend Of Zorro

Monsters Inc. by Randy Newman

I may be alone in this, but can someone explain me how a score like The Incredibles gets showered in praise for what was basically an exercice in pastiche and homage, while a score like this one, which features, IMHO, much better big band-type writing, a much more original voice and much greater melodic invention rarely gets mentioned? I compare those two scores because they are in the same vein, and because I think they can demostrate quite clearly how you can for a certain sound without having to produce a full on homage or pastiche score.

While I disagree with your assessment, while there are homages to Barry I think Giacchino did an excellent job and his voice carries through the score. Randy Newman does not seem to have that big of a following.

Which is a shame because he does write some excellent music. I think most people are more apt to think of him as a song composer.

Which is a shame because he does write some excellent music. I think most people are more apt to think of him as a song composer.

I like his scores, but I do find song writing his stronger side.

Into Thin Air - Lee Holdridge

An enjoyable orchestral score, full of melodrama and sadness, but with good themes.

The Rocket Post - Nigel Clarke & Michael Csanyi-Wills

A fantastic score. It's a more subdued, dramatic score -- but it has two wonderful themes. They're used often throughout, but I don't mind that. You really can't beat the $4.95 clearance tag -- almost a steal at that bargain.

I can think, on top of my head, of at least 3 scores that were better, but I might be called (and perhaps deservedly so) a fanboy

I can think, on top of my head, of at least 3 scores that were better, but I might be called (and perhaps deservedly so) a fanboy

I wish 7YiT had been nominated...

Karol, I took your post reviewing Copernicus' Star (and the followup posts) out and moved them into a new thread in the Reviews sub-forum. I'm trying to generate more content there, and your review was well written, and lengthy enough I felt it should be there. I hope you don't mind.

Here it is:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20045

Korzenowiski's 'Pogoda na jutro'. Some beautiful, beautiful writing, although it seems lacking in structure. The songs don't help, but some of it is stunning. This guy has a lot of potential.

Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader

I forgot how good it is. It's a bit Mickey-Mousing, but Arnold successfully re-captured the spirit and tone of ID4 and Stargate. Regardless, it's a pleasant and occasionally magnificent work that's worth visiting more than HGW's entries. And I really liked his arrangement of HGW's Aslan theme, makes me wonder how he would've approached a HP film if they brought him on instead of Nicholas Hooper.

Holiest. Cow. In. Christendom. I just discovered the complete recording of the E.T. soundtrack (the two disc edition). I think I may have peed my pants a little.

Gary.

The Hours by Philip Glass. I like this score and find it soothing and relaxing, so it's a good choice to listen to at work when the circumstances permit. :)

The Hours by Philip Glass. I like this score and find it soothing and relaxing, so it's a good choice to listen to at work when the circumstances permit. :)

Agreed! I always listen to it when I'm writing, even if the tone does not agree.

Hook - John Williams

You know, maybe it's because I haven't seen the film, but I'm happy with the original album release (even Banning Back Home and the kiddie songs). The score is great though.

Korzenowiski's 'Pogoda na jutro'. Some beautiful, beautiful writing, although it seems lacking in structure. The songs don't help, but some of it is stunning. This guy has a lot of potential.

I must listen to this. The CD is OOP right now and I've never bohered to search the score elsewhere. I know it only from the movie and while I can recall very little, I remember I liked it.

Okay, I just listened to ID4 for about the 6th time.

They don't write scores like that any more (except for perhaps Michael Giacchino).

He doesn't anymore.

Check out Copernicus' Star instead if you seek a sweeping orchestral fantasy-adventure score.

Okay, I just listened to ID4 for about the 6th time.

They don't write scores like that any more (except for perhaps Michael Giacchino). Tonight will be FSM's Poltergeist again.

Most popcorn flicks don't allow this kind of music to be written anymore.

Titanic - James Horner

Still deserving of its Oscar win 10+ years later.

I love Titanic. Definitely one of my favorite scores of all time. I would love to see a complete release of that score. The Back to Titanic album is terrible.

City Hall by Jerry Goldsmith

No love for this one, gentlemen? Few people seem to remember about it. It's like a mixture of Capricorn One and L.A. Confidential (or actually a superior prototype of the second one). I like it, I really do.

Karol

Jurassic Park by John Williams

Superman by John Williams

Terminal by John Williams

Saving Private Ryan by John Williams

I just had a 3½ month exile from my house due to water damage and the following repairs and renovation and I was also parted from a large chunk of my music collection as I had to store it away with the rest of my stuff. So in the honor of returning (and moving) back home I decided to celebrate the occasion with the traditional Journey to the Island from JP which has always been the first thing I listen to when I move to a new (this time old) home. :) And I have some catching up to do with the rest of the collection now. :)

No love for this one, gentlemen? Few people seem to remember about it. It's like a mixture of Capricorn One and L.A. Confidential (or actually a superior prototype of the second one). I like it, I really do.

I like it a lot. More than L.A. Confidential. It sounds like Goldsmith enjoyed writing in a slightly different voice than usual.

Karol

I am just listening to it now and I have to admit City Hall sounds like a blend of Goldsmith and Thomas Newman, which is kind of cool. I like it very much. Especially the use of woodwinds and strings reminds me of Newman and the synths, percussion and brass are pure Goldsmith. This is certainly a close cousin to L.A. Confidential and also in the jazzier parts to Russia House. Thanks for mentioning this score! :)

Thomas and the King (John Williams):

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention here, as the only musical Williams has ever written. I've heard bad things, but I actually really enjoyed it. Williams is no Bernstein, but Williams can write some really catchy tunes. Especially attractive to me are his rhythmic ideas, especially as heard in "We Shall Do It!" and "Look Around You." The singers are very good as staying together during those really fast rhythmic licks ("beautiful as a sunshine"). "Power" is also a nice song, I love the ostinato that opens it and is heard throughout. "Sincerity" is also nice, although the beginning sounds just like the "Tonight Quintet" from West Side Story. I understand why the music was pretty much forgotten by the public, but I still think it's a good effort and an interesting look into Williams' diversity. And as a side note: the liner notes are rather unprofessional. They list Williams as having won an Oscar for Superman, and the "h" in Henry isn't capitalized in one sentence.

Yeah I don't understand it either, although if a person bases their listening preferences on whether or not the movie was good or popular then I can see why it hasn't gone that fast.

Don Davis - Warriors of Virtue.

I had no idea this score would be so fun to listen to! It has some really exciting brass writing. Some moments sound like he's channeling David Arnold LOL. Really fun score!