What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Blue Max

Scream

"The Cue From Hell" is great, its just so creepy. I'm glad to finally have the complete score, I used to watch this movie all the time back in middle school.

Medal of Honor: European Assault by Christopher Lennertz: This score keeps getting better with each listen. I am really impressed with Lennertz chops with the orcherstra. This guy needs to break out from the comedy scoring circuit and get some more dramatic assignments.

I'm sure its great for most listeners, just don't try to say it's complete :)

It's like a dirty word for C&C enthusiasts if it is not true. :lol:

What are you talking about?

Cats & Dogs: The Revenge Of Kitty Galore was a seriously dramatic film!

Dramatically high in comical content?

It's an expanded release, just not a complete release. That's all.

There are some short cues that Varese chose not to include on it for unknown reasons.

What are you talking about?

Cats & Dogs: The Revenge Of Kitty Galore was a seriously dramatic film!

Dramatically high in comical content?

While he's type-casted into furry CGI animal movies, he enjoys his work and does it for his daughter it seems. A couple are actually quite good, Cats & Dogs boasting some awesome Bond-esque spy music. There's no better way to score a comedy than playing it straight.

But I agree, all of his video game music is incredible.

First Knight by Jerry Goldsmith. It seems only this composers could write something as bold, cerebral and get away with it. The new album sounds fantastic and yes, as with The Final Frontier, the whole thing feels like a whole now. I really enjoy the "new" material quite a bit.

Mars Attacks! by Danny Elfman. Finally filled the gap in my collection. Being familiar mostly with the march, I find that surprising that the score is much more "orchestral" than I thought it would be. Lots of nods to bold brassy monster music (not only aliens). It's all quite cool. Never really pursued this one as I'm not really some much of a Burton-Elfman fan. But this one is surprisingly good.

1941 by John Williams. Surprisingly march-light presentation. The problem I had with the original release is that, while the music was good, the album felt all over the place. A little bit of this and that and then it's over. A matter finally resolved. As for the music itself... well, you can't really go wrong with late 70's Williams, can you? Always preferred that era to his early 80's so the fact I'm really loving the score doesn't surprise me.

Now let's give Real Steel a listen.

Karol

Empire of the Sun. Great score! It contains one of my favourite melodies ever by JW. A must.

Hey I just listened to it today as well. One of my personal Williams favourites. Eclectic yet with the help of the boys choir and a wondrous main theme Williams ties things together brilliantly. Now here is another score that needs a C&C presentation ASAP. Williams' introspective and subtle, inner feelings portraying music and some fabulous spiritually charged choral music is missing from the OST.

:music: A Second Chance from Accidental Tourist

The complete score for Star Trek: Nemesis. It had been quite a long time since I listened to the score. I forgot how fun and enjoyable it is. I wish it would get a proper expansion from Varèse but I don't count on that happening any time soon.

Now I'm wanting to buy First Knight. Never got around to buying that one, but I'm sure I'd enjoy it...I was considering Midway, too, earlier. Hmmmmmm.

I think you'd like First Knight more than Midway. First Knight is one of the rare instances where Jerry doesn't use his signature synths in the score. It really is a wonderful score to listen to.

The complete score for Star Trek: Nemesis. It had been quite a long time since I listened to the score. I forgot how fun and enjoyable it is. I wish it would get a proper expansion from Varèse but I don't count on that happening any time soon.

I think one track might be different from what was heard in the film. Where Shinzon tells his story about the dilithium mines of remus to Picard.

I've been listening to my Halloween playlist recently. It includes music from Nightmare Before Christmas, Ed Wood, Sweeney Todd, Prisoner of Azkaban, Chamber of Secrets, Psycho, Dracula, Images, Witches of Eastwick, The Omen, Signs, Corpse Bride, and Phantom of the Opera. Also Disney's wonderful "Grim Grinning Ghosts" and Saint-Saens' "Danse Macabre."

Oh, and Tintin. :up:

Titus. It might be Goldenthal's finest film work. And not necessarily because it's his best music, but because the film is a perfect match for his sensibilities. And while it is very eclectic, it all makes sense in a strange way. But then again so does this excellent film.

Also 1941 and a lot of The Adventures of Tintin.

Karol

Titus. It might be Goldenthal's finest film work. And not necessarily because it's his best music, but because the film is a perfect match for his sensibilities. And while it is very eclectic, it all makes sense in a strange way. But then again so does this excellent film.

Karol

Very true. Goldenthal's score has an over arching aesthetic to it that still despite being eclectic and making sudden U-turns becomes cohesive at the end. Certainly among his finest scores.

The Adventures of Tintin the Secret of the Unicorn by John Williams

1941 the Expanded Edition by John Williams

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by John Williams

Amistad by John Williams

It is despite many lukewarm comments a quite unique and excellent Williams entry. The Americana is sublime at its best (Long Road to Justice) and Cinque's Theme has become in its lyrical and delicate power one of my favourites. The choral music of the score is often neglected but it is colorful and varied and something new for Williams, truly the unprecedented sound Spielberg mentions in his liner notes. And there are interesting ethnic and orchestral touches here and there that sound again completely different from the classic Williams. The album is also very well rounded listening experience and contains most of the major material from the film.

Yesterday - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings Expanded Edition. It was everything I had hoped for!

Today - The Two Towers Expanded Edition.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie - Graeme Revell

This is really one of Revell's best scores, in terms of consistent quality and thematic development. I pine for a remastered release or a re-recording of the cues used for the OS release... Dan Wallin's mixing is really bad here. And the orchestra sounds really underpowered... even more reason for a limited edition re-recording.

Medal of Honor by Michael Giacchino

Medal of Honor Undergroud by Michael Giacchino

The Adventures of Tintin the Secret of the Unicorn by John Williams: Works in the album arrangement very neatly but perhaps even better when arranged to film order. The flow of the music is very good, the score itself extremely busy, always pushing forward whether it is a comedic skimpering of the clarinet or a full orchestra chase cue. The building mystery of the Unicorn opens the score strongly and builds from there and the piraty flashback music offer a strong middle portion that leads through the Castafiore's music into the breathless Pursuit of the Falcon and finally to the finale. At the moment I can't get enough of this music. :)

Nightwing

A score for which the rather archival sound seems to work rather well.

It's a rather rustic and mysterious sound, and at times borders on dissonant, but for some reason it always works as music. Perhaps I enjoy it because it's got a similar design approach to The Edge, in the way it uses the feel of the orchestra to highlight the atmosphere of the location.

The themes are just gorgeous, and every time I play Search for Anne in particular, I repeatedly replay the statement at 1:10. The same goes for the small string theme at the end of the final cue.

And I can only thank an uncharacteristic urge to listen to the samples of all of this batch of club releases - this one clicked immediately.

I haven't actually listened to it yet, but I caught about 10 minutes of Presumed Innocent last night while flipping around the channels, and it always seemed like a forgotten score to me around here because no one really brings it up, but I do enjoy the main theme alot. The score itself is pretty short so I'll run through it again later today.

Angela's Ashes. As much as I like War Horse clips, they certainly don't beat this one. It's impossible. His best dramatic effort, beaten only by Schindler's List. One of my favourite themes in his career, certainly.

Karol

Angela's Ashes. As much as I like War Horse clips, they certainly don't beat this one. It's impossible. His best dramatic effort, beaten only by Schindler's List. One of my favourite themes in his career, certainly.

Karol

I very much agree. :)

Although I have to wait and hear the whole War Horse album before I make any judgements.

Nothing but War Horse for a while now. Probably listened to it 5 times through so far.

Before that, it was lots and lots of Tintin, without only 2 interuptions:

John Williams - Catch Me If You Can

Wanted to check this out again cause of all the similarities people were saying the main title had to Tintin and it had been a while since I listened to it. It is a truly fun score, and the OST is a great listening experience if you remove the source music (which is INCREDIBLY ANNOYING).

John Williams - The Fury

Listened to this because people said the Mystery Theme from Tintin resembled the theme here. I can see why they thought that, but the entire rest of the score is so radically different it doesn't really matter. What a cool, gothic score. Not one I listen to awesome, but the main and end titles impress me every time I do. The middle somewhat drags for me.

I don't argue the songs themselves are good songs, but man, I have NO interest in listening to them in the middle of a score CD.

John Williams - The Fury

Listened to this because people said the Mystery Theme from Tintin resembled the theme here. I can see why they thought that, but the entire rest of the score is so radically different it doesn't really matter. What a cool, gothic score. Not one I listen to awesome, but the main and end titles impress me every time I do. The middle somewhat drags for me.

For Gillian, Vision on the Stairs, Gillian's Escape, The Search for Robin, Gillian's Vision, Epilogue are pure gold... and the rest is great, too.

Never mind the soundtrack recording, listen to the album version.

Along with Midway my Karate Kid, Part II album arrived.

I much prefer this sequel to the original. The oriental parts are what I enjoy most about the first and here they take center stage.

And appropriately so as the movie takes place in Japan. The stakes are higher this time around and that's reflected with a much more soulful score.

Even if a bit repetitive it's all very pleasant and relaxing. Touching (The Funeral) and thrilling (Daniel's Triumph) as well.

I liked this funny quote by Conti about sequels:

"Part of what people love about a movie is, inevitably, the music. So when it comes to a sequel, you'd better give them those themes. They demand it--and by 'they,' I don't mean some autocratic executive, I mean the audience. They've been told, 'love you.' And now they're saying, 'Tell me you love me again.' Why withhold that? If you do, you're not clever--you're stupid!"

Yes! Someone understands! It's all about the love! :remykiss:

Very glad I was able to snag this before it sold out (again).

I haven't actually listened to it yet, but I caught about 10 minutes of Presumed Innocent last night while flipping around the channels, and it always seemed like a forgotten score to me around here because no one really brings it up, but I do enjoy the main theme alot. The score itself is pretty short so I'll run through it again later today.

It is really a great score that works extremely well in the film. The rather monothematic nature of the score and the gloomy atmosphere seem to put off some people but the music has a haunted quality to it which is at the same time beautiful, mysterious and suspenceful. I consider it a great suspence score and a nice listen when I am in the mood.

I received my copy of "The Core" today, and finally I had one of these rare moments again when I sat in bliss with a huge smile and remembered why I buy soundtracks. "Project Destiny" is simply awesome!

THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN - I've tried listening to this about four times and just can't get into it. I even tried doing it in chronological order. I'm sure it's very good, but there's something about it that doesn't catch my attention. Maybe I'll try again in a couple of months.

BIG - Delightful Howard Shore score, some real beauty.

I got rid of the CMIYC-esque/european sounding cues, and haven't yet given the result a full album listen.

I also find the Unicorn theme not quite 'up there' with the best. The structure of the theme doesn't seem to have as much emotional punch as it could.