What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Yes a bit. I guess listening to Newman's score Whispers in the Dark last night got me going. This seemed like a natural progression.

Is it good?

See previous page of this thread for my short review.

The Classic Film Scores of Errol Flynn

Great versions of Korngold's Robin Hood and The Sea Hawk(I don't think Gerhardt's rendition of "Strike for the shores of Dover!" can be beat), and Steiner's Don Juan is really good, too.

What stuck out to me this listen though, was Freidhofer's main title from The Sun Also Rises.

I really need to get the rest of the Gerhardt albums, now that they're re-released.

:music: Taras Bulba

Is there actually an orchestral soundtrack available for the Zelda games outside the 25th Anniversary album?

Oh, oh, oh! Have I managed to convert Incanus to video game music? Hehehehe...

Agreed on Gerudo Valley. The arrangement is awful, and there is one instrument playing in the background that rubs me in the most irritating way ever! I really think this arrangement betrays the original piece. It really has nothing to do with it. The tempo is too slow, and they tried to turn it into some epic music, which the original wasn't. And where is the spanish flavor? Where's the guitar, for fuck's sake? Listen to the original, Inky Boy!

To answer your question, Old Ink, there is only one other available orchestral soundtrack of Zelda music, and that is Hyrule Symphony. That's not a full orchestra playing, though, just some strings and an ocarina.

There are two tracks on Smashing.....Live! that are zelda related.

(at 8:50)

this is great as well (not Zelda):

What stuck out to me this listen though, was Freidhofer's main title from The Sun Also Rises.

If I had to compile a list of the ten best film music rerecordings ever released, that one might well be at the top of the pile. I was listening to the CD myself just a couple of days ago. Hugo Friedhofer wrote some breathtaking music but I don't think I have ever heard any of it performed live, even in concerts devoted to his more famous pals such as Max Steiner, Franz Waxman, Erich Wolfgang Korngold et al Newman.

Yeah, pretty much. We all know how amazing Miklos Rozsa is (especially on the new set), but Carl Davis is no slouch either.

:thumbup:

Great versions of Korngold's Robin Hood and The Sea Hawk(I don't think Gerhardt's rendition of "Strike for the shores of Dover!" can be beat), and Steiner's Don Juan is really good, too.

Fully agreed. And I love the little cue from Captain Blood.

Yep. Would like to hear the rest of that score someday.

I really need to get the rest of the Gerhardt albums, now that they're re-released.

I would've probably picked up all of them full price had they not been the unexpanded/shortened (I'm still confused by the release history of this series) version. Now I'm still waiting for a good deal on them. From the old releases, I have some in original form, some on CDR, and some I've never heard at all (e.g. Gone With the Wind).

Superman Returns

It had been a while since I've heard this. I know many here don't care for the score but I for one do enjoy it. Hell I listen to it more than Williams original Superman score, which I think a lot of times tends to drag on.

Superman Returns

It had been a while since I've heard this. I know many here don't care for the score but I for one do enjoy it. Hell I listen to it more than Williams original Superman score, which I think a lot of times tends to drag on.

Saying this here is a little bit like...

i-hate-niggers-die-hard.jpg

And it shouldn't be. There is much to like about Ottman's score.

I recently listened to the entire McNeely re-recording of Vertigo. Beautiful, but also very introspective; almost a saddening quality to it, but then the plot of the film is equally as 'disorienting'.

And it shouldn't be. There is much to like about Ottman's score.

I didn't say I didn't agree. ;)

I recently listened to the entire McNeely re-recording of Vertigo. Beautiful, but also very introspective; almost a saddening quality to it, but then the plot of the film is equally as 'disorienting'.

A fantastic score to a great movie. It's probably my favourite of Herrmann's work and BH-AH collaboration. Also McNeely's re-recording is stellar.

Hook by John Williams

What I found really surprising about this new release is that there isn't as much unreleased music as I thought there would be. Essential unreleased music, that is. The album generally feels like the OST with extra bits. That's fine - the score can be enjoyed in this form, especially by the casual listener. The sound quality in the final batte tracks doesn't bother me at all. However, the volume changes do, and so does the looped material. I didn't expect to spot it to be honest, as I was never a big fan of the score. But I did and it is quite jarring. It's a nice album and I'm grateful that I could buy it, but there is a certain dose of frustration ingrained in this project as well, which took so much time to complete. As compared to, say, LLL's Batman Returns, which was very much fast-tracked (as far as I can remember), I can't help to feel a bit disappointed this time (keep in mind I waited almost 6 weeks for this delivery). But then again, I think that presentation-wise that Elfman release was their best release so far. Oh, the design and the look is top notch. LLL releases generally look better than other labels' and this is no exception. Whatever the shortcomings, still and essential purchase.

Karol

I don't give a shit if anyone else hates the score for Superman Returns.

I don't hate the score for Williams original Superman score. I just find Superman Returns more enjoyable and I listen to it more.

EL CID.

Funny, that's what I listened to today as well! Such a magnificent work.

Indeed, though I wish the original recordings had survived in Stereo.

I've always enjoyed Superman Returns quite a lot.

Today I listened to The Hours - Philip Glass. You can go into a trance listening to this music if you didn't get enough sleep the night before.

EL CID.

Funny, that's what I listened to today as well! Such a magnificent work.

Indeed, though I wish the original recordings had survived in Stereo.

I sort of have a feeling they'll turn up one day, just as Tiomkin's 55 Days at Peking was still around. They're just waiting to be found, hopefully!

up next: either The Ten Commandments, or Ben Hur Disc 4 (Disc 2 of alternates Listening Experience)

Lord ot the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring OST by Howard Shore: It has been a while since I listened to the OST but it is not half bad condensation of the 3 hour score into a 70+ minute programme. The Ringwraith theme gets a little too much exposure and the History of the Ring theme too little but other than that the album works quite well, catching all the major sequences in its running time. The mix is quite different than on the CR which at times works better and at others not so well to the advantage of the music. The more balanced mix of the CR robs many of the choral sections their clarity and power which is intact on the OST. Plus FotR OST is inarguably the album of the three OSTs that contains most alternates and Theatrical version pieces of the three which is both a nostalgic and interesting listen after 11 years. Just hearing the Prophecy again makes you remember how listening to this album slowly but surely eradicated all doubt that Shore could score this trilogy from my mind.

Lord ot the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring OST by Howard Shore: It has been a while since I listened to the OST but it is not half bad condensation of the 3 hour score into a 70+ minute programme. The Ringwraith theme gets a little too much exposure and the History of the Ring theme too little but other than that the album works quite well, catching all the major sequences in its running time. The mix is quite different than on the CR which at times works better and at others not so well to the advantage of the music. The more balanced mix of the CR robs many of the choral sections their clarity and power which is intact on the OST. Plus FotR OST is inarguably the album of the three OSTs that contains most alternates and Theatrical version pieces of the three which is both a nostalgic and interesting listen after 11 years. Just hearing the Prophecy again makes you remember how listening to this album slowly but surely eradicated all doubt that Shore could score this trilogy from my mind.

Great post! Yes, this really is a great album presentation. I need to listen through the LOTR music as the Hobbit gets closer...get me pumped up!

I remember years ago, when I didn't have the Internet, all I had was a copy of the OST that a friend burned for me, and the tracks were in the wrong order. I still have it. I get all nostalgic. I listened to it endless times, while doing nothing but listening, in the bed of my room.

So yeah I like it too lol

Just hearing the Prophecy again makes you remember how listening to this album slowly but surely eradicated all doubt that Shore could score this trilogy from my mind.

I thought exactly the same thing after having listened to the OST for the first time back in 2001.

Yup, it was definitely a big surprise. I knew Shore only from Se7en and The Silence of the Lambs at that point. And I can remember the day I bought this CD. Just like that, heard no clips or anything like that. And when it started I thought "holy shit, this guy actually pulled this off!".

Not exactly a score, but Górecki's Third Symphony (of Sorrowful Songs).

Some Hook, Tintin and Predator as well.

Karol

Williams' Superman is a seminal masterpiece. Ottman's Superman Returns is the definition of mediocrity. There is no comparison.

Oh you did NOT say that. :bash:

If you want to label a Superman score as mediocre, then Ken Thorne's Superman II fits that bill to a T. Hardly any effort put into it, save arranging Williams' themes for a smaller orchestra that sounds like a marching band.

Williams' Superman is a seminal masterpiece. Ottman's Superman Returns is the definition of mediocrity. There is no comparison.

Oh you did NOT say that. :bash:

If you want to label a Superman score as mediocre, then Ken Thorne's Superman II fits that bill to a T. Hardly any effort put into it, save arranging Williams' themes for a smaller orchestra that sounds like a marching band.

Agreed. Superman II is rather bland and dull.

Williams Superman drags quite a bit in a lot of places. To me Ottman's Superman Returns does not.

I for one am tired of Superman Returns getting shit on...especially by a lot of members here.

Karol I'm glad you finally got Hook. :)

I really enjoy Superman II - it's the first score, but lighter and bouncier.

Been cherry-picking from Star Treks First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis for the past few hours while I read Fade In (any fellow Trekkies ever read that?). In my opinion, Insurrection's the best of the lot, but they're all good. Nemesis has some killer action music, Goldsmith just goes for the jugular.

It is actually. If you like Newman, that is.

Karol

It's not good if you hate Newman?

Well you love to hate it then. Everybody wins with Thomas Newman!

:music: The Adventure Continues from The Adventures of Tintin the Secret of the Unicorn

One of Zimmer's better recent action scores - very enjoyable.

In fact I Don't Think Now is the Best Time astonished me on first listen, with how light and thematic it is. To be honest, I like ZImmer's approach more than I suspect Silvestri's might have been, given his recent output (i.e. unmemorable in any respect).

I hope you're looking forward to Zimmer's Man of Steel :)

It's got the balls to not be written by John Williams and be from the RCP cave.

:dance:

Equine mood today.

The Black Stallion Returns - Delerue

Intrada's edition of this is really wonderful, as is the score. It's probably one of Delerue's most beautiful themes, and that's saying a lot! Very sweeping, especially the passages where it is backed by the trumpet triplet figure. Really just a great score all around.

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron - Zimmer

I re-listened to this one today after being reminded of it from the FSM thread on it. Really cool, one of the few Zimmer scores that I can say I've grown to love. Really all his music for animated features has been great.

War Horse - Williams

Well, we all know how great this one is!

I wish I could find a copy of Intrada's release of The Black Stallion by Carmine Coppola for a good price, preferably retail...

In fact I Don't Think Now is the Best Time astonished me on first listen, with how light and thematic it is. To be honest, I like ZImmer's approach more than I suspect Silvestri's might have been, given his recent output (i.e. unmemorable in any respect).

I agree. I really enjoy that piece. Parts of it don't even feel that ZImmerish. It's one of Zimmer's more clever action tracks.

POTC: at world's end - heart.pngheart.pngheart.png hans zimmer heart.pngheart.pngheart.png

felt like a good time to listen to it.

haters gonna hate!

And lovers gonna love! Don't you forget that!

This message was brought to you by Incanus, who does not endorse, fund, help or aid Zimmerco or its music in anyway and denies any possiblity of ever liking it.

I hope you're looking forward to Zimmer's Man of Steel :)

It's got the balls to not be written by John Williams and be from the RCP cave.

:dance:

Ooh you rebel you for saying such things on JWFan messageboard. ;)

:music: Flow Like Water from The Last Airbender

Stepmom by heart.pngheart.pngheart.png John Williams heart.pngheart.pngheart.png

Felt like a good time to listen to this on this fine spring morning!

Lovers gonna love!

30-97m_8m7.jpg

True but I had not listened to it in a long time so I thought why not. It has some wonderful, gentle music that fits the mood this morning. I'll listen to Stanley & Iris next to make penance for my seasonal error, ok. ;)

I would've probably picked up all of them full price had they not been the unexpanded/shortened (I'm still confused by the release history of this series) version. Now I'm still waiting for a good deal on them. From the old releases, I have some in original form, some on CDR, and some I've never heard at all (e.g. Gone With the Wind).

The short answer to the question of the release history is that when the albums were initially being released on CD the Waxman and Sea Hawk discs were released in longer form, but with the exception of a two short cues ("The Rose Garden", added to the Sea Hawk suite, and a piano rhapsody added to Between Two Worlds) there was no actual expansion. They either combined selections that had appeared on different LPs to make longer suites (the Korngold album), or in the case of the Sunset Boulevard album, grouped all of Waxman's music from the entire series onto one CD.

If you get all the re-releases you'll have virtually everything, except for those few minutes on the longer Sea Hawk album (you need both the long and short versions of it anyway, because the longer omits 3 tracks that are on the shorter), plus a few tracks that only appeared on this sampler CD.

And I'm listening to....the Captain Blood CD again, which is what prompted this reply.

:music: Dodge City

True but I had not listened to it in a long time so I thought why not. It has some wonderful, gentle music that fits the mood this morning. I'll listen to Stanley & Iris next to make penance for my seasonal error, ok. ;)

OK!

The Days Between belongs to my regular playlist whatever season it is, even if I find it very Autumnal. Beautiful music, very touching.

And this time I will break my rule and use a smiley: :beerchug:

John Williams - SpaceCamp: The GoodMusician edit.

Hmmm...I like the main theme and some of the fanfare-ish stuff is nice. Sometimes there is something that gets on my nerves about this score but I can't put my finger on it. I've never seen the film but I'm intrigued.

Sea Symphony by Ralph Vaughan Williams

Berliner Messe by Arvo Pärt

Stanley & Iris by John Williams

Checkmate & Rhythm in Motion by John Williams