What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

How many more victims will that soundtrack claim?!!!! :o

Wow it seems even with threads having nothing to do with MOS whatsoever somebody's giving away spoilers. Sheesh. Could've at least used spoiler tags Joey.

Anyways just got done listening to

very fun and at times exciting MI score from Giacchino. Seems like he was able to do more compared to his last MI score, which I also enjoyed. But if you close yoru eyes you'd swear it was his Star Trek score.

Are you serious? Are you?

Even a blind man can see I was talking about Superman. You know the Superman the movie. A 35 year old score.

No where do I indicate that I was talking about Man of Steel, no where. JFC.

I apologize. I misread your comment.

Oh and btw in Titanic the ship sinks at the end of the film.

Either lonzoe's answer was an attempt in dry humour or he has been living in a cave and doesn't know anything about Superman.

Not with My Wife You Don't by John Williams

Not with My Wife You Don't Vol. 2 by John Williams

There have been some versions where Jonathan Kent lived long after Clark became Superman. I overreacted and didn't want to know the character's fate until I've seen MOS.

I'll find out tomorrow.

Very fun and at times exciting MI score from Giacchino. Seems like he was able to do more compared to his last MI score, which I also enjoyed.

A Man, a Plan, a Code, Dubai is awesome.

I wouldn't mind Giacchino doing a genuine Bond score if Arnold isn't available.

Very fun and at times exciting MI score from Giacchino. Seems like he was able to do more compared to his last MI score, which I also enjoyed.

A Man, a Plan, a Code, Dubai is awesome.

I wouldn't mind Giacchino doing a genuine Bond score if Arnold isn't available.

I like his Hindi music. It's fun!

Karol

You show him Quint!

-Mikko, who doesn't really care who scores Bond films-

rosewood_LLLCD1224.jpg

ROSEWOOD - John Williams

After pondering the question if the inspired but dry ROSEWOOD really was double-dip candidate, i let my gut feeling decide and bought it. Turned out to be a rather good decision - all the moodsetting CONRACK-like scoring in the first part has a charming, folksy feel that was too short-changed on the old album, wonderfully produced as it was. Williams is in full i'm-not-this-kind-of-Williams-anymore-mode he adopted in the mid-90's showing JURASSIC PARK & Co. the finger with (for him) more vague harmonic language and a more edgy, less broad and polished approach (HARRY POTTER this ain't).

While the whole score drags at 80 minutes - too many incidental suspense-pieces that only come together in FALSE ACCUSATION and some of the penultimate cues - it still has an unmistakeable feel and its genre, a combination of gospel, jazz, folk and americana, seems a perfect fit for Williams who obviously jumped at the opportunity to help Singleton out. The Scrappie/Mann music comes off as so effortlessly written you ask yourself why Williams does not work in this capacity more often. The score portion unfortunately leaves out Williams' gospel songs which are used to quite dramatic effect in the movie (AUNT SARA'S DEATH, FREEDOM TRAIN) so you have to fill those parts with the Sony album.

Snow White and the Huntsman - James Newton Howard

It's a damn shame this isn't more consistent, since 10-15 minutes worth of material that features some of Howard's finest writing ever. "Snow White", "Sanctuary", "You Can't Have My Heart" and "Coronation" are wonderful... shame that the rest just isn't up to par. The industrial grinding noises are poor substitutes for a solid orchestral motif for Ravenna, as well as the more percussive-driven sequences.

And I do enjoy that Florence and the Machine song "Breath of Life", especially paired with the fantastic end credits sequence for the film.

Passion by Pino Donaggio

OK I didn't hear it on it's own, I just heard it in the film, but it was terrific and I'll be buying the CD post-haste.

Muppet Treasure Island - Hans Zimmer

I'm listening to a YT suite, and frankly, I'm actually surprised at how solid his theme is. It doesn't abandon the usual Golden Age swashbuckling style, and there's more than enough of his style on it to set it apart. Clearly Jerry Bruckheimer didn't see this film before telling him and Badelt to deviate from the formula for the later Pirates of the Caribbean films. Zimmer does emulate the old-fashioned swashbuckling style well without sounding... well, old-fashioned.

AMISTAD by John Williams

A sadly underrated entry in his oeuvre. The choral music is absolutely sublime, as is the more melancholic material in the first half of the score. I've also always been a fan of the main theme and the integration of the African ethnic elements. The Americana may not add much to Williams' career, but its quite good nonetheless. All in all, great score!

AMISTAD by John Williams

A sadly underrated entry in his oeuvre. The choral music is absolutely sublime, as is the more melancholic material in the first half of the score. I've also always been a fan of the main theme and the integration of the African ethnic elements. The Americana may not add much to Williams' career, but its quite good nonetheless. All in all, great score!

Sadly overlooked indeed. I guess the Americana parts somehow overshadow the otherwise quite new and fresh sounds Williams employs in this score. I love Cinque's Theme even though I think the writing is closer to the mode of Western hymns than authentic African melodies but that really doesn't matter.

Cinque's theme is beautiful. And I wasn't referring to the melody Incanus, I was referring to the musical colours. Williams has always known how to incorporate ethnic colours cohesively into his primarily Western writing.

I wasn't exactly disagreeing with you KK. Just noting that Cinque's Theme is often closer to more Western music than African even though the score itself is heavily steeped in musical references, stylistic, mood and feel to African music and instrumentation. And I have always loved the way Williams uses musical allusion (be it ethnic or other musical stylistic shadings) in his music and how easily recognizable it is to the listener and in part helps to convey the subject matter and its style to the viewer.

The Fly II by Christopher Young

The Hole by Javier Navarrete

The Peacemaker by Hans Zimmer

V for Vendetta by Dario Marianelli

I have also listened to some John Powell, especially his X-Men: The Last Stand. Why does nobody hire him to score a Marvel film? He would have been perfect for those - he can do hip modern action scores and also offer something meaty for a more old-fashioned audience. He's a really good musician. Sadly, underused and pigeonholed by producers.

:music:Hook

Karol

That's a shame. Does anybody know why? :(

:music:Explorers by Jerry Goldsmith (which I'm warming up to more and more with each listen)

Karol

Partially, but to me it's seems like he's tired of being typecasted into a billion animation films to just repeat the same thing over and over. His most recent interview sounded like he was fed up with the entire Hollywood system.

Partially, but to me it's seems like he's tired of being typecasted into a billion animation films to just repeat the same thing over and over. His most recent interview sounded like he was fed up with the entire Hollywood system.

I still couldn't believe that interview was him. Seemed very unprofessional.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by John Williams: It has been a good while since I listened to this and I have to say this is a masterful and beautiful score. I also realized that it is largely due to Williams' album arrangement that I do not listen to this score as often as I should. The mammoth of an end credit suite is such a waste of space on the album where other musical treasures could have been used in its stead as it just repeats near note-for-note most of the opening half of the album. The music itself is energetic, nuanced and nicely faux-Medieval in places, just bursting with new motifs, ideas and textures. Williams takes the music to a darker direction and I like it very much. Similarly the over reliance on Hedwig's Theme is replaced by a new thematic universe that teems with memorable and emotional ideas.

I still couldn't believe that interview was him. Seemed very unprofessional.

Unprofessional? Nah, it was as honest as it could be while taking jabs at the overbearing respectful/mundane nature of all interviews. I hate interviews where the person pretends to love everyone he/she's ever worked with.

Is that the cue with the strings and the brass hits?

The Shadow - Jerry Goldsmith

Star Trek Nemesis - Jerry Goldsmith

I think its amazing.

NP:

cd-cover.jpg

Any good?

delightful. I was quite surprised by it, actually. give it a listen!

:music: the ranch

Yes absolutely delightful. It has a great youthful energy and playfulness to it. Shame that most of the darker edgier material for the cattle thieves isn't on the OST. It would provide a nice contrast to the rambunctious Western feel of the rest of the score. But I guess it was considered to be too sparse and dark for the album (or wasn't available).

I would also suggest you take a listen of the Cowboys Overture, a nice 8 minute summation of the main themes of the score in a rousing suite.

I think its amazing.

NP:

Any good?

delightful. I was quite surprised by it, actually. give it a listen!

:music: the ranch

Yes absolutely delightful. It has a great youthful energy and playfulness to it. Shame that most of the darker edgier material for the cattle thieves isn't on the OST. It would provide a nice contrast to the rambunctious Western feel of the rest of the score. But I guess it was considered to be too sparse and dark for the album (or wasn't available).

I would also suggest you take a listen of the Cowboys Overture, a nice 8 minute summation of the main themes of the score in a rousing suite.

Was that the suite on that JW filmography album I bought? (The one with the old camera sketch on the front, yellow background)