What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Brian Tyler - Now You See Me (Complete)

Can't get over how much I love this score. I listened to it a few times while vacationing in Vegas, it fit perfectly. Can anyone recommend any other Brian Tyler scores similar to this one I may like? Or scores by other composers similar? Maybe the Ocean's remake scores?

Howard Shore - The Desolation of Smaug

Still loving this after all these months. Literally haven't gotten tired of it despite constant, repeated listens.

David Arnold - Independence Day (Complete)

Loving the La-La Land release of this SO much. So much great music in this complete score. Listened to this a few times to get pumped up and stay awake. The revised end battle music is really kick ass!

Can anyone recommend any other Brian Tyler scores similar to this one I may like? Or scores by other composers similar? Maybe the Ocean's remake scores?

David Holmses's OCEANS scores are more trip-hop/acid jazz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAoxTK5f1CM

Howard Shore - The Desolation of Smaug

Still loving this after all these months. Literally haven't gotten tired of it despite constant, repeated listens.

Listened to the complete album yesterday and today as well. Might be one of my favourite Howard Shore scores.

It was also the Abel Korzeniowski day: Romeo and Juliet, Escape from Tomorrow and Copernicus' Star.

Karol - now waiting for the Morricone concert to start (still 26 minutes to go)

Check out Battle for Terra, A Single Man and Metropolis.

And some of his early Polish works like Big Animal and Angel in Cracow.

Karol - who doesn't like W.E. this much

Oh duh, I forgot about Battle for Terra, I have that one too.

I really do need to check out A Single Man, WE, and Metropolis sometime....

Alexandre Desplat - The Monuments Men

Wow! So, this is a great score! I listened to it yesterday at work at low volume, so haven't given it a detailed listen yet, but from what I heard it reminded me of old Williams, or actually more like Medal of Honor by Giacchino. But that isn't why it's good, just something I observed. Seems to be a pretty well rounded and catchy little score. Excited to listen again.

Alan Silvestri - The Abyss (Varese Deluxe)

This is one of the best expansions to come out in recent years! And not even for the unreleased cues that go in between the cues we got on the OST (though there is a lot of great stuff in there), but mainly for the earlier versions of the big set piece cues, which were all more emotional and thematic that the revised versions we know from the film and OST. Great stuff here! That being said, the main presentation, ignoring those alternates is still a superior listen to the OST as well. I for one don't mind the repeated military music or longer "droning" cues. The length of those approaches outstaying their welcome, but then end or transition before that point.

Michael Giacchino - Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

Haven't listened to this in a while - what a fun score. Love the Indian and Russian music!

Bear McCreary - Knights of Badassdom

Just listened to this on Spotify. It's super fun! A mix of rock and bagpipes and other stuff. Doesn't remind me at all of the typical Bear BSG-ish sound. It's just a fun modern rocking film score!

Hollywood '95 - Goldenthal/Horner/Silvestri/Goldsmith/Newton Howard

Still an extremely well done re-recording of suites from the movies of 1995 -- and excellent selections too. "Batman Forever", "Casper" and especially "First Knight" sound great performed by the Royal Scottish National Orchestra.

Black Sails by Bear McCreary

Can't get enough of this theme. Bear's best.

I read a rather scintillatingly praising review of the album by Mr. Southall. I need to take a listen ASAP.

Kundun by Phillip Glass

This sits alongside Notes on a Scandal as one of the his finest works. You'd think after all the times I found myself frustrated or terribly bored of hearing Glass and his usual arpeggios, that I'd hate this score by now. But nope. I still enjoy it every time. That, and it really helps me study :)

Kundun by Phillip Glass

This sits alongside Notes on a Scandal as one of the his finest works. You'd think after all the times I found myself frustrated or terribly bored of hearing Glass and his usual arpeggios, that I'd hate this score by now. But nope. I still enjoy it every time. That, and it really helps me study :)

This post of yours made me want to discover this score. It's fascinating music. I'm now on my 3rd listen in a row and it still intrigues me greatly

I think it's not bad. Maybe a bit too melodramatic for some people, but it's a surprising score from Badalamenti and expertly crafted. I'll share more when I finish the proper review.

Karol

I found STALINGRAD a really thin offering, musically and conceptually. Though given the cover and trailer, i just can imagine what the russians have cooked up there. ENEMY AT THE GATES suddenly seems like an authentic and honest depiction of WWII.

La Belle et la Bête - Pierre Adenot

I'm not through, but from what i've heard this is a more than solid fairy-tale score channeling Desplat, Navarrete and Yared - whatever happy accident is to blame, there's almost no DARK KNIGHT, BOURNE or DA VINCI CODE in sight save for one or two unfortunate 'action' moments - i give it a few more spins but it seems worth tracking down for friends of more euro-centered fantasy stuff, with all the bittersweet waltzes and string-heavy depictions of fate that's knocking on the door.

Been obsessed with the Star Trek scores lately. Had a marathon of the Next Generation films two days in a row. I like Generations fine. There's a lot of neat atmospheric music in there. It feels a lot like the TV scoring, which may or may not have been ideal (or both). However, once you proceed to First Contact there's a noticeable massive upward shift in quality. Goldsmith's scores are pure musical sex. I'm not sure how I'd rank them since I consider First Contact and Nemesis equally good. However, I might give Nemesis the edge here. Aside from some slightly less interesting sections in the middle, this score is incredibly entertaining. I'm a big fan of the action music. I mean, I realize the early 2000s are becoming increasingly ancient as we all continue to decay, but it's still fairly modern. It's just kinda spooky the way noughties Goldsmith demonstrates how we need him now more than ever in this latest dark age for film music. Nemesis can ultimately be very emotionally draining because of this.

I found STALINGRAD a really thin offering, musically and conceptually. Though given the cover and trailer, i just can imagine what the russians have cooked up there. ENEMY AT THE GATES suddenly seems like an authentic and honest depiction of WWII.

Pub, this film is a 3D IMAX blockbuster for mass audience, not a period drama. From that perspective it's rather solid. And curiously restrained.

Karol

Pub, this film is a 3D IMAX blockbuster for mass audience, not a period drama. From that perspective it's rather solid. And curiously restrained.

Karol

Musically it is certainly not restrained in my opinion (it has Horner level of restraint) but I can't quite put my finger on what it exactly is in Badalamenti's style but it really doesn't appeal to me that much. Solid work but certainly not 5 stars like Mr. Southall at Moviewave.net gave it.

Hour of the Gun by Jerry Goldsmith (Tadlow Re-recording): Very nice indeed. One of my favourite Goldsmith Westerns is given a new vibrant life by the re-recording. :)

Black Sunday by John Williams: I am so glad FSM released this one. Gem of a thriller score from Williams' golden period, gripping from start to finish.

Stalingrad has become a bit overrated. The harmonic, restrained stuff is lovely, but Badalamenti attempts to go for grandiosity and reflect the Russian setting, he falls terribly short. Still, its definitely worth checking out.

starwars

Esb

Rotj

Towering inferno

meco esb

In the car six hours my favorite place to listen to music.

QB VII. The score is slowly moving up my Goldsmith (well, if I was to ever make one). Absolutely masterful score, both epic and intimate.

Skyfall. A frustrating album for me. It's all well done, works great in the film. But, at the same time, I can't help but feel a tad disappointed. Whenever the bittersweet and dry witted Newman meets more traditional Barry (Brave New World, Severine, Komodo Dragon, The Chimera) I'm jumping with joy, for it adds freshness to tired Bond sound. He gets the character and the economy and clarity of his writing gives storytelling focus. But then there are things like Silhouettes and Shanghai Drive which I'm not sure about. Although, I have to admit I really like New Digs. Thomas Newman is a cool composer, but I'd like to hear something a bit more sustained from him. He's so skilled with an orchestra - please, let someone force him to unleash it once more in his future works!

Karol

I need to revisit this one. The FSM set is great, but, similarly to Varese's Spartacus, so formidable in size, I find it difficult to sit down and listen to. But what I do revisit quite frequently to the third 3 LP programme on this release (the one that's different from the other two). It's terrific.

Karol - who listened to Quo Vadis recently

I've been on a Morricone streak for the past few days, which made me remember that this existed. I remember when these guys first became a thing, famous for being hand picked by Simon Cowell. Nice voices, and an extremely tasteful arrangement of Ennio's theme from The Mission with a lovely Italian text. It may verge on too popish for some, but I think it's gorgeous.

The Wolfman by Danny Elfman: One of my favourite Elfman scores simply dripping with gothic romance and darkness.

And completely devoid of his cute fairy tale style. One of his finest and the bits left intact in film work very well in context.

Karol

Yeah the usual Elfman fantasy scoring with tra-la-la-la children's choirs and wackiness couldn't be further removed from the Wolfman in style.

How is it Alice? I am really intrigued as this has flown completely under the radar for me. I am always happy to see David Newman scoring a new film. :)