What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I thought you said something like "If Hans wasn't a Hollywood composer he wouldn't be able to find decent job cleaning toilets". Or something like that.

But then again, that's more a BloodBoal thing to say.

(Peace, Hans!) ;)

Karol

Nah. I never stooped to BloodBoal's levels when taking a punch at a composer. Let's hope it never comes to that! ;)

The conversation went as follows:

Friend 1 (Main Post): -Picture of MoS Deluxe Edition- "Nobody home.. Let's just see how high I can pump the volume up ;) "

Me: You sure that's a good idea? ;)

Friend 1: Yes it was :D

Me: Oh boy. And you sure you weren't wearing earplugs? ;)

Friend 2: Nein, nein, nein

Friend 3: Play it loud John, this score is not for the weak naysayears

Hans Zimmer: I cant hear it...Not loud enough!

It wasn't directed at me (he probably ignores any dismissals of his stuff), but still, no more composer-jokes on Facebook from me!

Are you sure that it was HZ?

Yes, it was him for sure.

Geez! File under "what's his problem?". The criticism is of the man's music, not the man.

But... But... Inky started it!

And I don't love Shore's themes. Not anymore. The guy's lost it, along with his good looks.

ShoreMSA.jpg

Ugh!

Those were the dark days....he's shaped up since then...I think.

I thought you said something like "If Hans wasn't a Hollywood composer he wouldn't be able to find decent job cleaning toilets". Or something like that.

But then again, that's more a BloodBoal thing to say.

(Peace, Hans!) ;)

Karol

Nah. I never stooped to BloodBoal's levels when taking a punch at a composer. Let's hope it never comes to that! ;)

The conversation went as follows:

Friend 1 (Main Post): -Picture of MoS Deluxe Edition- "Nobody home.. Let's just see how high I can pump the volume up ;) "

Me: You sure that's a good idea? ;)

Friend 1: Yes it was :D

Me: Oh boy. And you sure you weren't wearing earplugs? ;)

Friend 2: Nein, nein, nein

Friend 3: Play it loud John, this score is not for the weak naysayears

Hans Zimmer: I cant hear it...Not loud enough!

It wasn't directed at me (he probably ignores any dismissals of his stuff), but still, no more composer-jokes on Facebook from me!

Are you sure that it was HZ?

Yes, it was him for sure.

Geez! File under "what's his problem?". The criticism is of the man's music, not the man.

Well, he wasn't responding to my "criticism". He was just humorously responding to the original post, which is fine by me. I just feel bad for seeming kind of rude there.

It must have been much worse for Southall though, when Zimmer actually responded to his review on facebook, and there was apparently a huge clash between Zimmer fans and the non-Zimmerites.

They are thematically linked, just as Howard Shore's themes you love so much.

Karol

Hey our jokes are an intricate web of subtextual references spanning the known time and space and beyond built with architetural skills of a marmot.

It's the same stubble from a different angle! Fraudulent beard marketing KK!

Scruffy style turns up sexiness by 100%! ;)

Anyway, I'm listening to Warriors of Virtue by Don Davis. It's a lovely score. You can hear that the composer worked for James Horner for certain gestures and orchestrational techniques seem to sound familiar, but overall it's a fantastic overlooked work (no surprise there, the film is a turd). Very balletic and colourful, expertly orchestrated by Davis himself. For fans of traditional fantasy it's must - doesn't sound like a second rate effort.

Karol

Scruffy style turns up sexiness by 100%! ;)

Anyway, I'm listening to Warriors of Virtue by Don Davis. It's a lovely score. You can hear that the composer worked for James Horner for certain gestures and orchestrational techniques seem to sound familiar, but overall it's a fantastic overlooked worked (no surprise there, the film is a turd). Very balletic and colourful, expertly orchestrated by Davis himself. For fans of traditional fantasy it's must - doesn't sound like a second rate effort.

Karol

I have to give it a listen some time. You have spoken highly of this quite a few times on this thread if I remember correctly. Davis is also a composer I have not explored beyond his JP3 and Matrix scores.

As I said it's not exactly the most "original" work out there, but beautifully crafted.

http://youtu.be/_Mfd8beGUVs

http://youtu.be/I8TsBr10d1o

I also recommend House of Frankenstein. It's probably better than Doyle's score.

Karol

Hella W. by Panu Aaltio

The Usual Suspects by John Ottman

Keisuke Wakao Plays the Music of John Williams: Still as sublime as ever. I have to say that most of the arrangements are spot perfect.

Jerry scored Runaway? Lol I never knew. LOVED that movie when I was a kid, used to freak me out! Can't remember the music but maybe I'll have to watch it again.

Jerry scored Runaway? Lol I never knew. LOVED that movie when I was a kid, used to freak me out! Can't remember the music but maybe I'll have to watch it again.

I saw it a few times when I was a kid myself. The music during the alley chase ("Alley Flight") as well as the scene itself really resonated with me at that age. Goldsmith is on full synth mode here so if you'e not a fan of him in that approach. Then this might not be for you. I never really disliked his synth heavy scores. I admire the passion he puts into most of his music be it orchestral, electronic, or both. And Runaway is no exception, imo.

Goldsmith's The Boys from Brazil

Good stuff. Jerry really got a lot of mileage out of that suspense figure derived from the waltz. The music captures the rather heady premise of the film so perfectly. A wee bit crazy you know...

Keisuke Wakao Plays the Music of John Williams: Still as sublime as ever. I have to say that most of the arrangements are spot perfect.

One of my favorite albums.

American Beauty

Road to Perdition

The Shawshank Redemption

Newman's another one, along with Horner and Zimmer, who really channels the feeling of modern Hollywood. I love it.

I think he is a great blend of old and new with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.

His music to me sound quintessentially American. Not in martial sense (with trumpets and all), but rather in the American spirit of more common folk. And, as such, it's very interesting.

Karol

Chris Tilton - Sim City

I just love this relaxing, calming music. When you're in the right mood, this score is EVERYTHING I'm looking for. Actually, it makes good background music for a lot of activities. I'm glad Mr. Tilton but so much effort into this score, it all came out really well. I still need to check out the Cities of Tomorrow expansion pack score.

Danny Elfman - Iris

Super fun! Much more fun to listen to than most of his 2010's output.

Lost: The Final Season by Michael Giacchino

Lost: The Final Season (The Last Episodes) by Michael Giacchino

Some of the finest pages Giacchino has written thusfar and my favourite musical moments of the whole Lost series. The composer really captures to me the whole feel of the show, the music being indeed great part of that atmosphere and emotional resonance. There are a whole host of orchestral techniques here that are instantly recognizable as the "sound of Lost", the sul ponticello effects, trombone slurs, forcefully plucked solitary notes on harp, nervous tremolos, curious percussion sounds, which all helped to create the specific moods of the show. Giacchino is ever inventive with chosen orchestra and on the final season audibly more emotional and sweeping, the music of the finale episodes containing some of the most striking melodies of all the 6 seasons. The amount of leitmotivic ideas passing through the scores is a marvel and all the more interesting considering that he didn't usually know the story and its twists beforehand (it felt sometimes that the writers didn't either). Still he succeeded in crafting an impressive structure to the scores throughout the series and it all culminates here in the most satisfying way.

David Arnold and Michael Price - Sherlock (Season 3)

Possibly the best of the 3 soundtrack releases? I love the dubstep stuff in the beginning, Sherlock's violin piece in the middle, and the Magnussen stuff at the end. I gotta get these three OSTs on CD! (I listened on Spotify, the Season 3 OST just became available there yesterday). Very good scores!

David Arnold and Michael Price - Sherlock (Season 3)

Possibly the best of the 3 soundtrack releases? I love the dubstep stuff in the beginning, Sherlock's violin piece in the middle, and the Magnussen stuff at the end. I gotta get these three OSTs on CD! (I listened on Spotify, the Season 3 OST just became available there yesterday). Very good scores!

I honestly can't remember any of the music in the show besides the main title, some bittersweet material for Irene Adler and the solo violin piece for the wedding. I guess I am allergic to dubstep (unless it is Mordor Dubstep ;) ).

It was the bit where Sherlock and Watson were drunk at Watson's bachelor party :)

If you have Spotify, you should check out the three OSTs, they have some good scoring. The Season 2 OST is my least favorite, Season 1 has a lot of fun chase music and variations of the fun Sherlock theme, and the Season 3 has a lot of new ideas compared to the earlier OSTs.

I honestly can't remember any of the music in the show besides the main title, some bittersweet material for Irene Adler and the solo violin piece for the wedding. I guess I am allergic to dubstep (unless it is Mordor Dubstep ;) ).

You cant even remember Sherlock's theme?