What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Yeah, it's a very nice album overall. I'm not so sure I like the performance so much, but it's a minor quibble.

The Matrix (Deluxe Edition) and both La-La Land sequel releases - The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions. What an onslaught! That last one is gracing my ears pretty much every day (in bigger or smaller doses) - ever since the album arrived through my letterbox. I even wrote a not-so-brief and not-so-modest review for Charlie Brigden's Entr'acte website, if you fancy reading some more detailed thoughts on it. ;)

Karol

I'll look into this later with great interest! :)

War Horse by John Williams

Applachian Spring by Aaron Copland

The Tender Land Suite by Aaron Copland

Fall River Legend by Morton Gould

Latin-American Symphonette by Morton Gould

Those aren't scores. This is JWFan not MGFan. Bring Williams back to GD!

I see we have a purist among us. Welcome! But think of the above as having scores (written that is) so I am not too way off. ;)

But I will never bring the center of our most holy church back into the General Discussion! He shall remain in the lofty heights of his upper forum!

Then you are not worthy TGP. You are not worthy to even utter the name of our true Lord and Saviour.

The language is that of Mordor, which I will not mutter here. In the common tongue it says,

One Zimmer to rule them all,

One Power Anthem to find them;

One Zimmer to bring them all,

And in the drum circle bind them.

In the land of Hollywood where the collaborative scores lie.

Lemminkäinen by Jean Sibelius: Very dramatic almost filmic work. Sibelius might have made a great film composer if he had even considered such work to be worthy of his attention and had he not stopped composing by the end of 1920s. The 4 movement work is a masterpiece of musical painting, The Swan of Tuonela rightfully up there among his best work.

Rauta-aika (The Age of Iron) by Aulis Sallinen: Arranged from music written for a Finnish television series The Age of Iron, based on the famous epic poem Kalevala. Sallinen's music from the series is compiled into a 30-minute suite of varying moods and contains both Romantic colourings and more modern stylings. Mixed choirs and soloists add additional dramatic weight to the music. Impressive piece of work.

:music:The Firebird by Igor Stravinsky

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - John Williams

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - John Williams

Not as good as Temple of Doom, but they have many highlights already mentioned.

Mission to Mars - Ennio Morricone

Once the cues are put in the right order, I don't see what's not to absolutely love about this one. Might watch the movie later.

The Adventures of Tintin the Secret of the Unicorn by John Williams

James Horner fantasy scores extravaganza:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

Krull

Cocoon

The Land Before Time

Willow

Karol

It's substituted by the secondary theme of GLORY, that acts as main theme, though. The pirate stuff is brilliant, as is The Flying Dragon. Some of it foreshadows (very clearly) Harry Potter. Something about little boys and magic seems to trigger very similar reactions in Hollywood composers.

Krull

Cocoon

The Land Before Time

Willow

Karol

Wow that is like eating a barrel full of cotton candy. :eek:

Reminds me of that tear jerking lament for when the Samurai getting mown down by the Japanese rattling guns in THE LAST SAMURAI. Those 1st inversion chords (thirds in the bass).... heartbreaking stuff.

Yes, that might just be one of my favourite Horner cues. Has a certain British/Golden Age sea music touch to it.

Krull

Cocoon

The Land Before Time

Willow

Karol

it's time for you to move up.

Try "Battle Beyond The Stars",

"Wolfen",

"48hrs",

"Brainstorm",

"Gorky Park",

and top it all off with "The Name Of The Rose".

Man, how about that last minute?!

One of those instances where you wonder what it would have been like if the film had deserved the score it got.

And dat Stravinsky moment at 4:44.

And now for something completely different.

Incidentally, a comment on a Youtube video of John's The Eiger Sanction, which gave the me urge to reach through the screen and throttle the armchair musicologist responsible:

"Williams' output was a lot more varied pre-Star Wars. He rarely strays from that template since."

Krull

Cocoon

The Land Before Time

Willow

Karol

"Wolfen",

"48hrs",

"Brainstorm",

"Gorky Park",

Not a bad combo. I should take a listen to those. I have heard only Wolfen and The Name of the Rose from that list. I would have been aurally completely exhausted if I had listened to Karol's list of Horner's biggest fantasy/action/adventure scores. A sugar and adrenaline rush for the ages!

Incidentally, a comment on a Youtube video of John's The Eiger Sanction, which gave the me urge to reach through the screen and throttle the armchair musicologist responsible:

"Williams' output was a lot more varied pre-Star Wars. He rarely strays from that template since."

If he means that he rarely strays from composing for an orchestra then he is right but otherwise dead wrong.

JW never composed for ukelele/banjo combo!

Sadly no. Even Luthor's Luau contains only ukulele.

Krull

Cocoon

The Land Before Time

Willow

Karol

"Wolfen",

"48hrs",

"Brainstorm",

"Gorky Park",

The first one I can't get into, might be the sound. Wolfen is something I must check out. Brainstrom is indeed great, one of Horner's finest. Gorky Park - interesting, but the "love theme" kind of rip-offs Krull, doesn't it? And The Name of the Rose is a score best enjoyed in film. I like it, though.

And yes, Mikko. My last line-up almost made me diabetic. You must check out Intrada's Cocoon. Might be the most perfect Horner album ever. The score has it all - wonder, love, action, some period music. All nicely developed over the course of neat and tidy 55 minutes. Just perfect.

:music:Superman Returns (after which I plan to revisit both Williams' and Courage's entries)

Karol

Back when Horner had balls.

From the days when Horner dared to plagiarize anyone anywhere any time!

It's simple music, based on hymns, and fairly brief as Burwell's scores usually are - suits a very particular kind of mood. If that sounds appealing to you, then yes I recommend it.

Krull

Cocoon

The Land Before Time

Willow

Karol

"Wolfen",

"48hrs",

"Brainstorm",

"Gorky Park",

The first one I can't get into, might be the sound. Wolfen is something I must check out. Brainstrom is indeed great, one of Horner's finest. Gorky Park - interesting, but the "love theme" kind of rip-offs Krull, doesn't it? And The Name of the Rose is a score best enjoyed in film. I like it, though.

And yes, Mikko. My last line-up almost made me diabetic. You must check out Intrada's Cocoon. Might be the most perfect Horner album ever. The score has it all - wonder, love, action, some period music. All nicely developed over the course of neat and tidy 55 minutes. Just perfect.

:music:Superman Returns (after which I plan to revisit both Williams' and Courage's entries)

Karol

Don't forget, Karol, that it rips-off "Star Trek:II". ;)

Britten is a special favourite of Goldsmith and Horner, the opera PETER GRIMES has ISLANDS IN THE STREAM, IN COUNTRY, JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN and STAR TREK V in it. ;)