What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I'd say all three are similar in some ways but different enough to enjoy each of them on their own grounds. Powaqqatsi has perhaps the most filler for my taste (but some awesome bits as well), but Koya and Naqoy are great from start to finish. Though Koya is so iconic I find it hard to put Naqoy on quite the same level just for that.

There's also this brilliant cue:

The theme is great, fun and ideal. One of my favourite pieces is for "Judgement Day" that accompanies the pan out from Brooklyn Bridge and ECTO-1. Or that little piece as Dana walks into the Ghostbusters HQ the first time. Just a shame in my opinion Bernstein chose not to come back for Ghostbusters II. Might have made it that little bit better.

Star Trek: Generations - Dennis McCarthy

I wasn't expecting the huge wave of nostalgia that accompanied this listen, but it was very welcome. I think this may be my second favorite Trek score (as a whole, not just thematically) behind TMP. Obviously benefits hugely from the expanded release, which is worth it for the brief but noble, swelling cue that accompanies the first shot of the holodeck seafaring Enterprise alone.

The original Alien LP programme. A much stronger presentation of Goldsmith's masterpiece. I do, however like the fact we got the complete thing. Makes for an interesting study.

Karol

Star Trek: Generations - Dennis McCarthy

I think this may be my second favorite Trek score (as a whole, not just thematically) behind TMP. Obviously benefits hugely from the expanded release, which is worth it for the brief but noble, swelling cue that accompanies the first shot of the holodeck seafaring Enterprise alone.

IMHO:

TMP

V

III

II

IV

VI

TOS SE1&2

Nemesis (Or First Contact)

First Contact (Or Nemesis)

Generations

Insurrection

Yeah, IV and VI never really clicked with me; IV not feeling like Star Trek at all (which has nothing to do with the fact that it's lighthearted, because the film itself is a contender for my favorite) and VI being rather "tempy" if you know what I mean. Excluding those two, I think I enjoy them all equally with TMP, Generations and V standing out.

My favorite theme, though, is First Contact.

I really love the unused San Francisco cues. and the finale cue of course.

From VI I love:

3. Spacedock / Clear All Moorings 4:10 - 6:09
4. Spock's Wisdom 6:09 - 9:24
13. First Evidence / The Search 24:56 - 26:28
14. Escape from Rura Penthe - 26:28 - 32:03
21. Sign Off 48:40 - 51:55
22. Star Trek VI End Credits Suite 51:55 - 58:27
23. Trailer [Take 10] 58:27 - 1:00:37

Heh, I knew you'd have something to say about Rosenman's work. I think you're right about that actually. The only thing that doesn't really work for me is the main theme, which edges a bit towards the generic in its second phrase if I'm remembering rightly.

My favorite TOS composer has to be Gerald Fried,

I love his music for Finnegan, Miranamee, and the Cappellan lady (can't recall her name at the moment)

VI being rather "tempy" if you know what I mean.

What about II and III ;)

Hey, Hornery is not the same thing as tempy!

I still take that over anything Horner wrote for TWOK or TSFS.

Even 1:40 - 2:35?

And that great cluster at 0:25

Hey, Hornery is not the same thing as tempy!

I still take that over anything Horner wrote for TWOK or TSFS.

Even 1:40 - 2:35?

And that great cluster at 0:25

Meh. It doesn't move me, thrill me or creep me the way Goldsmith or Rosenman do. It's sort of sonic wallpaper.

Kicking off the (pre-)Easter period with The Passion of the Christ Symphony, Passion (The Last Temptation of Christ), Ben-Hur (two LP's) and The Gospel of John. Even someone who is not religious has to admit there is something absolutely magnetising about film music related to this subject (concert music even to greater degree, of course). Raw emotion, mystical contemplation and just pure awesome writing.

Karol

I've never heard Debney's symphonic version, but the score itself has some very moving moments. The sequence when Mary goes to Jesus after he falls, and the big choral crescendo when he stands up again... gets me every time.

Symphony takes some of the film material, adds some new stuff and creates an 80-minute piece that feels closer to Golden Age sensibilities, with some oratorio elements. Ethnic stuff plays a significantly lesser role, obviously, but is still there. Some of it might be slightly cheesy for a major concert piece, but it's very effective. Definitely surpasses the film score itself, which often seems a bit oppressive. There is a bit more contemplation to be found in the symphonic version. Just perfect material for a Good (Holy) Week!

Karol

I prefer "Spock Endure's Ponn Farr", "A Fighting Chance To Live", "Sunset on Genesis" and "The Katra Ritual"

Stealing the Enterprise has been a favourite for years, particularly the part for when Enterprise clears space doors.

For me the best things about The Wrath of Khan were Spock and Spock/Kirk themes. The Enterprise stuff is cool, but not as important to me. And yet the latter dominates. In The Search for Spock things are exactly the opposite and Horner finds some new and interesting ways as to how to expand upon his previously-secondary ideas and turn them into something much more impressive. The ethnic touches are really nice, too. And I also like the expansion of the Genesis material. He might rape some Prokofiev in the process, but it's all forgiven (half-forgiven?). ;)

Karol

For me the best things about The Wrath of Khan were Spock and Spock/Kirk themes. The Enterprise stuff is cool, but not as important to me. And yet the latter dominates. In The Search for Spock things are exactly the opposite and Horner finds some new and interesting ways as to how to expand upon his previously-secondary ideas and turn them into something much more impressive. The ethnic touches are really nice, too. And I also like the expansion of the Genesis material. He might rape some Prokofiev in the process, but it's all forgiven (half-forgiven?). ;)

Karol

Quite agree, love the Kirk theme. Looking back on it when I used to watch the Hell out of III (and IV) it was III's score that got me into film music. Not quite everyone's way of getting into it but all the same...

Well, it's not a bad place to start. No bad at all.

My first soundtrack album was The Lion King. ;) Actually, it wasn't a bad one at all. The best kind of Zimmer there is.

Karol

Da Vinci Code is not bad, either. The suite (tracks 9-till the end) is really enjoyable with Poisoned Chalice being my favourite Zimmer track of all time. And he apparently tackled the project mostly on his own as well.

Karol

The Enterprise theme a.k.a The theme in the left channel, is my favorite theme from Horner's Trek,besides the Spock/Vulcan Mysticism stuff.

Da Vinci Code is not bad, either. The suite (tracks 9-till the end) is really enjoyable with Poisoned Chalice being my favourite Zimmer track of all time. And he apparently tackled the project mostly on his own as well.

Karol

It was Chevelairs specifically that got me into film music, and its what made me a big Zimmer fan. But these days, I prefer Poisoned Chalice like yourself.

After Da Vinci Code, Gladiator came in as the 2nd score in my collection.

Of Ben-Hur?

I finished a preliminary edit of Disc 1, I just need to get some cues mocked up, and get hold of the Rhino version for some clean openings and endings, and for the alternate Prince of Peace segments.

BTW, has anyone heard the original finale re-recording (Well, it was actually never recorded ;) ) on the 1977 Decca? its marvelous!

Karol

It was Chevelairs specifically that got me into film music, and its what made me a big Zimmer fan. But these days, I prefer Poisoned Chalice like yourself.

After Da Vinci Code, Gladiator came in as the 2nd score in my collection.

I had a big Zimmer influence as well, but I didn0t listen to Da Vinci Code until way later.

What was your first again Chaac? I feel like you've told me, but I've forgotten.

Oh lord-y they are all confessing their heinous Zimmer origins on this thread. I once liked his music too, before the dark times, before the Remote Control. Now he is more machine than man, twisted and evil and has a mind of metals and wheels.

4f827d08bd39b_53443n.jpg

PSYCHO II - Jerry Goldsmith (Intrada Edition)

Me, collecting bottlecaps again. By no means bad, but at some point of collectorship you look in the reflection of your monitor and ask yourself: 'What kind of silly person buys more of something that he never listens to in the first place?' - beats me! Apart from the one pleasing element, a wistful reflective main theme (unfortunately played by one of JG's beloved synthesized muppet flutes) lead by a searching, minimalist piano line, the remainder is a collection of thinny amorphous tinkly-synthie suspense stuff that (thankfully only) occasionally outbursts into some of Goldsmith's least convincing frenzy attacks (Bartok and Stravinsky greetings). Only in the penultimate 'It's not your Mother' does it gain some momentum. All the best tracks are replays of the main theme in some form (and were contained on the old MCA album) with now roughly half an hour more devoted to underscore never meant to be released on record, though half of FSM might disagree there.