What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Spellbound: The Classic Film Scores of Miklos Rozsa (Charles Gerhardt)

Absolutely glorious. I can never decide whether this, the Herrmann album, or the Korngolds (collectively) is the best thing since sliced bread. Maybe all of them. I don't really listen compilations very often, but these are just very satisfying as albums.

Star Wars/CE3K is up next!

51W5dF%2Bs2YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

FLIGHTPLAN - James Horner

Surprisingly engaging thriller score built on a deceptively simple three note tune...it's hornerism galore, but he actually develops things neatly along the way and, for whatever insane reason, seems to be channeling Jerry Goldsmith in that he scores a better version of the movie (in a genre he usually sleepwalks through) than the one he got delivered.

Stargate Atlantis - Joel Goldsmith

It's a shame the show couldn't afford an orchestra for the entire series... but having one for the 2-part pilot really makes it shine. The main title and "Rising" really benefit from the live players. Magical, sweeping, and fun.

Hook - LLL Edition

Wow.

I forgot how much I loved this score. It has the double benefit of being not only beautiful but also incredibly nostalgic to me personally.

We can't have iPods where I work nor any digital music files on our computers but today I brought this disc to work. So glad I did. It has it all - it's majestic, beautiful, bittersweet, joyful, adventurous - it's simply wonderful.

The film may be hit-and-miss but the score is almost perfect in every possible way to my ears.

It's a shame the show couldn't afford an orchestra for the entire series... but having one for the 2-part pilot really makes it shine. The main title and "Rising" really benefit from the live players. Magical, sweeping, and fun.

I adore this show and its main theme. I only wish I had gotten into it during its run and not just last year using Netflix, at least until they pulled the plug on that too.

Spellbound: The Classic Film Scores of Miklos Rozsa (Charles Gerhardt)

Absolutely glorious. I can never decide whether this, the Herrmann album, or the Korngolds (collectively) is the best thing since sliced bread. Maybe all of them. I don't really listen compilations very often, but these are just very satisfying as albums.

Star Wars/CE3K is up next!

The Korngolds, Herrmann and Star Wars are my favourites.

Right now, I'm sitting in a hotel room in Budapest streaming the Raine recording of Rozsa's Quo Vadis from my home server via my phone.

I adore this show and its main theme. I only wish I had gotten into it during its run and not just last year using Netflix, at least until they pulled the plug on that too.

A similar thing happened for me. I couldn't get into SG-1, no matter how hard I tried, and I enjoyed Atlantis whenever SyFy hosted their day-long weekday marathons. (Now they just air occasional episodes during the graveyard hours.) I really liked the cast, and I'm finished with season 2. I don't know if I want to proceed beyond season 4, considering Torri Higginson's departure and being replaced with Amanda Tapping of all people.

The neat thing about Sam Carter being in charge of Atlantis in S4 is that she's in about half the episodes, and those she is in, she either does nothing or totally botches something.

I like Amanda Tapping, but I just don't like her SG character. She's very likeable as Dr. Magnus in Sanctuary, but Carter doesn't do anything for me. Dr. Weir and Teyla are far more interesting.

The Mummy by Jerry Goldsmith

Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones by John Williams

I can't believe I've never listened to the suite from Memoirs of a Geisha before. It's just last night while reading some of the discussion about it that I reminded myself such a thing even exists. So I immediately bought these six tracks from iTunes and what a treat it is. Probably even better than the original album itself - I absolutely adore these versions. Going to School is finally freed from temp track feel and the arrangements of both Chairman's Waltz and Brush on Silk really surprised me. The translation of the latter into an orchestral environment is a stroke of genius (it wouldn't occur to me that you can actually do that successfully!) and the contrapuntal development of the Chariman's theme is different from anything you'll hear in the film. it's like this missing link between Williams concert and film work has finally been found. The score itself was clearly a labor of love and the suite feels even more passionate. I'd love to hear it played live sometime. Delicious stuff.

bowdown

(And while the score didn't enter my top 10, it's really close behind)

Karol - who now need to buy this whole album for the lossless version :)

I can't believe I've never listened to the suite from Memoirs of a Geisha before. It's just last night while reading some of the discussion about it that I reminded myself such a thing even exists. So I immediately bought these six tracks from iTunes and what a treat it is. Probably even better than the original album itself - I absolutely adore these versions. Going to School is finally freed from temp track feel and the arrangements of both Chairman's Waltz and Brush on Silk really surprised me. The translation of the latter into an orchestral enviroment is a stroke of genius (it wouldn't occur to me that you can actually do that successfully!) and the contrapuntal development of the Chariman's theme is different from anything you'll hear in the film. it's like this missing link between Williams concert and film work has finally been found. The score itself was clearly a labor of love and the suite feels even more passionate. I'd love to hear it played live sometime. Delicious stuff.

bowdown

(And while the score didn't enter my top 10, it's really close behind)

Karol - who now need to buy this whole album for the lossless version :)

Listened to this and

00000000000021557504.jpg

on Spotify. Both are sublime.

The Amazing Spider-Man - James Horner

I'm warming up to this score. I think Horner captured an aspect of the character well, the innocence of childhood and Peter's discovery of his powers. (Elfman mainly focuses on the high flying heroics of the hero.) The score is a little too on-the-nose, but composition-wise, it's a nice companion piece to Elfman's Spider-Man 2 score.

I still don't like the movie, though.

Return of the Jedi

I'm drawn to the Special Edition right now so I can hear all the exclusive stuff. This is the first appearance of the Ewok theme when Leia meets Wicket, one of my favorite moments.

Can't stop listening to Twister.

They don't make Remote Control material like this anymore.

OMG. This movie. WAS. my. childhood. Absolutely loved it. What was i? 6 years old when it came out?

I never ever thought of the soundtrack, but now that i listen to it, almost brings tears to my eyes!!! Actually a real solid soundtrack too. Thanks bro :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cOjbiuxYUQ This. No words!! Just, sorry but... epic.

still want romantic flight played at my wedding.

I bet you want test drive to be played in your honeymoon.

Then, at your nth anniversary you gonna play this is berk.

still want romantic flight played at my wedding.

I bet you want test drive to be played in your honeymoon.

yeah, that one and alice astrid goes for a spin.

and dragon training

The hectic excitement of T-Rex Rescue and Finale during the part where they enter the skeleton room doesn't half feel like Sea Attack Number One to me. It's quintessential Williams action scoring, lots of rhythmic peril and fever-pitch, barnstormingly orchestrated in the way only he knows how. It's sounds and shivers like this which led me here to begin with, just crazy good scoring craft and wonderfully satisfying music in its own right.

Williams' Oboe Concerto

Morricone's The Untouchables

Hisaishi's Princess Mononoke (both the original soundtrack and portions of the symphonic suite)

Kraemer's Jack Reacher

And, strangely enough, The Social Network

I was also listening to Michael Kamen's portion of Amazing Stories and, to my surprise, I've heard the same action cue that ends both of his latter Die Hard scores. It can be heard at around 3:04:

Karol

Presumed Innocent. Now that's a curious entry in Williams' career. Seems to recall his early 70's music and is also written in a style completely atypical for him.

Karol

A Good Day to Die Hard by Marco Beltrami

It's a very solid and respectable work, actually. Beltrami doesn't rehash his previous score at all and that he seems to be even more in tune with Kamen's original Die Hards - the score employs a similar type of orchestration and style. You know - especially the snazzy brass writing and some signature plucking suspense strings here and there. And also you get the iconic chords from the infamous Hans Grubber's demise scene. These kind of references were also present to some extent in the previous one as well, but here he seems to be much more confident as a composer (especially when it comes to action music). A slightly more retro, despite some modern synth elements being used even more prominently (they're ok but I'm not a fan). And the John McClane thematic material is present here as well (maybe even more frequently than in Live Free or Die Hard) and Beltrami is clearly having more time with it this time. Overall, for my money it sounds like Die Hard score, and yes there is a snippet of Ode to Joy as well. Ominous, of course, which is very much in a tradition of the series. Great art it ain't, but I like it. At the very least, among the modern action film score, this one stands quite strong. There is actually some properly written music in here. I just wish they used some more classical stuff, though. Would have been much wittier.

Oh and I like the Triple Vodka Rhapsody and McClane's Brain tracks as well. Funny stuff.

Karol

Listening to new JG scores that I've never heard before:

This is pure Goldsmith in his early synth experimentation. He's still using it slow and it's not rearing it's ugly head yet but it's there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOGDCg_KvI

Has an exquisite beautiful theme that I enjoy a lot.

Beautiful Americana music.

Agatha Christie's Poirot by Christopher Gunning: Simply beautiful, intelligent and emotional music capturing the subject matter to perfection. Gunning is such an expert in channeling the fatal and yearning romaticism of the Poirot stories without forgetting the slightly noirish qualities of the subject matter, the elegance and tragedy intertwining beautifully in his scores.

Super 8 - Michael Giacchino

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Sessions) - Hans Zimmer

Angela's Ashes - John Williams

Mission Impossible III - Michael Giacchino

War Horse - John Williams

E.T. - John Williams

Yesterday coming home,

The Empire Strikes Back,

Star Wars,

The Towering Inferno

Superman

Jaws

Earthquake,

Saturday night I heard tracks from Captain Blood, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Godfather, Mary Poppins, Chariots of Fire, Lotr, Gladiator, Themes from James Bond, Star Wars, and Harry Potter at Night at the Movies.

The Amazing Spider-Man and The Spiderwick Chronicles

While the latter score doesn't really have something like a memorable thematic idea at its center, it's so entertaining nontheless that you can't help but wish Horner was writing more adventure and fantasy music. The wondrous and fantastical genres is what he does best. He might think otherwise, but that's the truth. Even if you listen to For Greater Glory and Black Gold... They fare much beter when you don't think of them as serious drama, but more of a David Lean kind of epics. There is just something about his understanding of dramaturgy that simply is perfectly suited for big fantasy blockbusters - it gives them some heart. Something that would be a wa too syrupy for a serious film, works wonders in a film like The Spiderwick Chronicles. I was really disappointed with that last Spider-Man film, but at the same time was amazed how much feeling Horner contributed to this tentpole disposable garbage. A terrific album as well.

One more thing I noticed about those two scores: neither of them is really all that swamped with all-too-blatant references (there are there, but not as over-present as elsewhere). Horner must have a thing for spiders!

Karol - who cannot wait for his Ender's Game.

Earthquake, Avatar

on Star Trek III I listen to the original soundtrack more than the extended version which totally screws up Stealing the Enterprise.

I also listened to 1941.

1941.....a fantastic score on any level, I think it's a worthy part of that 1975-84 run. Certainly better than it's reputation.

Just create a playlist where you mostly use disc 1 of the 2CD set, but replace stealing the enterprise with the version from disc 2