What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

There's a recording of the Cowboys suite on Williams' own By Request compilation.

A terrifc album! Highly recommended!

For most cues on the album I prefer different recordings - partly because of the rather flat 80's Philips digital sound, partly because I don't find the performances all that engaging. But I love it for Liberty Fanfare and The Cowboys.

Howard Shore - Hugo

I need to listen to this at full volume sometime. Listening at work with it playing quietly doesn't cut it. Some fun stuff here, though!

I can't stop listening to Superman. You know it's what a real super hero score sounds like.

Accidental Tourist by John Williams: Such a lovely intimate score, really among Williams' most tender and subtle yet absolutely charming creations. There is such a lyrical yearning quality to this music. And it always makes me think of autumn for some reason.

There's also a suite from Cowboys on Greatest Hits 1969-1999 album.

A different one? I thought there's only the one Williams recording of the overture? Or are you implying that it's even a different arrangement?

A different one? I thought there's only the one Williams recording of the overture? Or are you implying that it's even a different arrangement?

I think Karol is mixing Reivers up with The Cowboys since the Greatest Hits doesn't include Cowboys in any form. People seem to be remembering The Cowboys on every other album even though it isn't. :P

Speaking of The Reivers and The Cowboys I hope those will be re-released and expanded so I can get them at a decent price. :P

I think Karol is mixing Reivers up with The Cowboys since the Greatest Hits doesn't include Cowboys in any form. People seem to be remembering The Cowboys on every other album even though it isn't. :P

It is on that Star Wars Trilogy compilation then. It must be!

Karol

I can't stop listening to Superman. You know it's what a real super hero score sounds like.

I am just taking a listen after a good while and boy this score is brilliant. It is from the period where Williams' music exudes this nearly primal energy. I was immediately reminded of The Fury by the destruction of Krypton music, not in style but in the same furious abandon and wonderfully raw emotion it exhibits. Fantastic!

Yes, it is one if crowning achievements. And also, Incanus, I'd recommend Alexander Courage's sequel to you as well, if you've not heard it yet. It is quite superb and an excellent companion piece to Williams' original. The difference between the two is that Williams' score is clearly written by someone younger than Courage. Quest for Peace goes back to an even older tradition of writing (Broadway/50's S-F/Herrmann). It's delicious.

My Goldsmiths arrived this morning. Pity The Challenge disc has a defect of some sort and wouldn't play correctly. Though. I'm sure it can be sorted somehow...

Poltergeist does indeed sound better on FSM album. Not hugely so, but the there is a greater clarity to the sound. Bruce Botnick' recollections in the liner notes mention that there are no synths involved, which I find really strange - there are dozens of spots where you can hear all those weird effects. Is it all acoustic? John Williams attended scoring sessions one day and that apparently this experience convinced him to record E.T. at MGM with Botnick. The music itself is pure magic, even if it reprises a bit too much V'Ger music.

What strikes me about Goldsmith is that, unlike many composers' output, his works seem to work better in complete and chronological form. They just open up and usually display a superb storytelling, even away from the film. In fact, usually that way, as films tend to be subpar.

Karol

I would say that rather he was a good musical story teller, whose complete scores just illustrate this better with all the musical progression in its correct place.

ST: TMP works in all presentation. It's not even really so much of a film score in the first place, not in a very dramaturgical sense anyway. So much of the film is silent and almost plot-less and sound-less the music can do whatever it wants, pretty much. And it does it beautifully.

I love both the film and the score.

I'm now listening to FSM release of Gremlins. I've not heard this music since watching the film and that was probably about 20 years ago! It brings so many memories and it is so strange to hear it now, in such a spectacular sound and with me being so much older (hardly wiser, though). I like how Goldsmith uses synths in this score. In some of his scores it might not work as well as here - it is sometimes absolutely hilarious. And the main theme is one of his cutest melodies ever. Brilliant score and album.

Karol

Inchon. The sound is less then spectacular, to say the least, but not quite so to detract from the otherwise kick-ass score. It's an action equivalent to Tora! Tora! Tora!, the score I love. In fact it sounds as if that score was literally battling Patton (another brilliant work)! There is some really cool percussion writing in here, among other cool things. I am really enjoying this album. Someone should definitely suggest this one to James Fitzpatrick for a subsequent entry in the Tadlow/Prometheus Goldsmith series. Now that would have been awesome!

I've still got The Challenge to sink my teeth into. But as I said, got a faulty version which won't play the first track correctly (there seems to be some kind of curse looming over this album). Fortunately, managed to sort it out with MV and Matt at LLL. They are a really classy bunch. In the meantime, I can listen to the rest of it. :)

Karol

Poltergeist does indeed sound better on FSM album. Not hugely so, but the there is a greater clarity to the sound. Bruce Botnick' recollections in the liner notes mention that there are no synths involved, which I find really strange - there are dozens of spots where you can hear all those weird effects. Is it all acoustic?

I remember plenty of waterphone, but no synths.

Perhaps because Goldsmith is not as good at creating albums?

I always thought he was better at it than Williams. Even when he left off crucial stuff (like all the Lancelot music in First Knight), his albums flowed well, and unlike Williams' seemed to retain the basic musical narrative even when out of order.

I am really enjoying this album. Someone should definitely suggest this one to James Fitzpatrick for a subsequent entry in the Tadlow/Prometheus Goldsmith series. Now that would have been awesome!

I don't know/have Inchon yet (should be here any day). But I'd like them to do Rambo III, Lionheart and The Blue Max first.

Poltergeist does indeed sound better on FSM album. Not hugely so, but the there is a greater clarity to the sound. Bruce Botnick' recollections in the liner notes mention that there are no synths involved, which I find really strange - there are dozens of spots where you can hear all those weird effects. Is it all acoustic?

My god, you're right. Looked up some waterphone demonstration videos on Youtube. For years I thought these effects were done electronically.The old sod fooled me! It makes this score so much cooler.

Karol

Poltergeist is my favourite Goldsmith score BY FAR. It's a shame kids today find that once really scary haunted house picture absolutely hilarious. Seems like it's almost entirely forgotten :(

My god, you're right. Looked up some waterphone demonstration videos on Youtube. For years I thought these effects were done electronically.The old sod fooled me! It makes this score so much cooler.

The waterphone has become one of my favourite instruments. :)

Poltergeist is my favourite Goldsmith score BY FAR. It's a shame kids today find that once really scary haunted house picture absolutely hilarious. Seems like it's almost entirely forgotten :(

It's not quite a top favourite of mine, but certainly among the general favourites. And Twisted Abduction ranks among the top Goldsmith pieces I'd like to hear in a concert one day.

It's not quite a top favourite of mine, but certainly among the general favourites. And Twisted Abduction ranks among the top Goldsmith pieces I'd like to hear in a concert one day.

Twisted Abduction sounds alot like a JW cue.

It always sounded like quintessential Goldsmith to me, but I shall re-evaluate it with that view in mind.

Well the way JG uses the trumpet shrills in there, you couldn't help but think JW.

It always sounded like quintessential Goldsmith to me, but I shall re-evaluate it with that view in mind.

Well the way JG uses the trumpet shrills in there, you couldn't help but think JW.

I for one always throught the religioso music for the ghostly wonder in Poltergeist sounded Williams-esque and supposed that it was the Spielberg effect on Goldsmith's score.

Joe Hishaishi concert: 25 years of Studio Ghibli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVCdLi6FGVg

1. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind 00:00:45 - 00:11:31

2. Princess Mononoke / Mononoke Hime 00:11:37 - 00:19:11

3. Kiki's Delivery Service 0:19:41 - 0:29:10

4. Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea 00:31:25 - 00:50:28

5. Laputa: Castle in the Sky 00:50:29 - 01:01:00

6. Porco Rosso 01:01:50 - 01:06:37

7. Howl's Moving Castle 01:08:40 - 01:20:56

8. Spirited Away 01:22:05 - 01:30:24

9. My Neighbor Totoro / Tonari no Totoro 01:31:00 - 01:41:38

10. Encore 01:43:20

11. Porco Rosso 01:43:20 - 01:46:23

12. Princess Mononoke 01:47:35 - 01:52:19

Seriously, Joe Hishaishi needs more love in the West.

An orchestral onslaught for me today: The Matrix Revolutions, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, Batman Forever and Dragonslayer. All of them badass.

Karol