What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

That, plus The Golden Compass, turned me into a Desplat fan.

I am still not certain that it is a 5 star fantasy score but yeah it kind of solidified by fanhood of Desplat as well. The New Moon is a wonderful piece of writing from Desplat. He really captures the bitter sweet yearning romance very well. I was positively surprised.

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button for me. I could never get into him before that.

That is a very popular and often imitated Desplat score yet it left me strangely cold. Perhaps further investigation is warranted now after few years have gone by.

Curious Case of Benjamin Button was my gateway to Desplat too. I'm still not high on him now, but that was the first film I saw scored by him that made me want to seek out the score CD afterwards. Sadly that never happened again with him until Ghost Writer and... that's it. Then Rise of the Guardians is great to listen to on its own, and I've never seen the movie. His Potter scores bore me to death

Check out New Moon, his two Wes Anderson scores, The Tree Of Life, Zero Dark Thirty, and Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close.

Love Caution, Birth and Hostage are also noteworthy. Girl with a Pearl Earring is a must too, absolutely lovely score with great thematic writing.

Lust, Caution ;)

Hey try putting that in a list without making that comma confusing. ;)

Desplat might seem a bit mechanical and cold for most people, not the kind of composer who would flood your stereo system with lush and warm melodies. But even if sometimes disconnected emotionallysome of his every work, I still can appreciate it. It's a quality output. One of the few composers who can actually get away with some old-fashioned techniques and merge them successfully with contemporary cinema. Not to mention the versatility and impeccable craft.

Karol

Star Wars: The Original Album! - John Williams

as much as I like the complete score, this was actually a pretty good listening experience!

looking forward to ESB.

The Awakening by Daniel Pemberton: A melodic and grippingly dramatic horror/suspense score with excellent use of solo violin and voices. It does apply the classic horror music cliches yet does not devolve into pure slashing and clashing orchestral fury which was refreshing. Obligatory stingers, raging dissonant strings and blaring brass are balanced with eerie, mysterious and melodic orchestral atmosphere and surprisingly robust choral passages and soloist moments.

The Hostage by Alexandre Desplat: A great fusion of Desplat's lyrical sensibilities and dark noirish suspense and action. The composer has a knack for unusual but interesting instrumental combinations, which is at display here amidst the more traditional orchestral scoring. I have to say he blends old and new very well in this effort, which is among my favourites for its decidedly noirish and dramatic approach and plethora of themes the composer manages to weave into the music throughout.

American Beauty is one of Thomas Newman's trademark (and highly imitated) scores combining his highly original and quirky orchestrations with his great sense of melody and mood. The ticking clicking flow of the marimbas and other curious percussive sounds is an unorthodox yet extremely effective choice for scoring the not so idyllic suburban environment. Coupled with the composers blend of unique subtle atmospheric scoring and gentle simple melodies makes this score a winner in my book. Plus there is also some weird musical humor in tracks like Spartanette, which really offers a fun off-kilter depiction of the obsession of Kevin Spacey's character.

I used to hate this score (well, maybe not hate, but definitely dislike) back in the day. Everything without a 25-piece brass section was a big no-no. But it turned out to be a seminal piece of film music of the past 13 days and Thomas Newman's sound has become a synonym of award winning American drama. When it comes to the actual music, I think the almost ascetic quality of it definitely helps its film and makes for an interesting and quirky listening experience. I've come to really enjoy and respect this work over the years. It is only now, though, that I actually bought it. Thomas Newman is an acquired taste in the end, quite a unique voice as well.

Karol

I used to hate this score (well, maybe not hate, but definitely dislike) back in the day. Everything without a 25-piece brass section was a big no-no. But it turned out to be a seminal piece of film music of the past 13 days and Thomas Newman's sound has become a synonym of award winning American drama. When it comes to the actual music, I think the almost ascetic quality of it definitely helps its film and makes for an interesting and quirky listening experience. I've come to really enjoy and respect this work over the years. It is only now, though, that I actually bought it. Thomas Newman is an acquired taste in the end, quite a unique voice as well.

Karol

Actually I had a similar experience with it. I had to sort of grow into it.

I used to like Newman score with a more orchestral colours (especially Angels in America) but his more synthetic approach was skipped on a regular basis.

Which doesn't change the fact that Angels is still his ultimate masterpiece for me.

Karol

I used to like Newman score with a more orchestral colours (especially Angels in America) but his more synthetic approach was skipped on a regular basis.

Which doesn't change the fact that Angels is still his ultimate masterpiece for me.

Karol

Yes Angels In America is definitely his masterpiece where he blends his different voices into a powerful whole. I gradually became a fan of Newman's through Shawshank Redemption, Little Women and Road to Perdition that were more orchestral in sound but slowly I began to discover his atmospheric scoring as well and I have really come to appreciate it. I still can't but marvel the strange and singular sounds he produces with his ensembles and strangests of instruments.

The Skin I Live In, Los Abrazos Rotos and Volver by Alberto Iglesias.

He's a very good musician. For an western ears probably a bit too restrained, but excellent from a technical point of view. A perfect gift for creating moods and colours in films and yet creating perfectly respectable music its its own right as well. The concert last week literally opened my ears to this guy. I've known his works from films, but not apart from them. The lukewarm receptions from film music critics discouraged me from buying any of the albums. God, how wrong was I - it's quality stuff actually.

:music:Poltergeist II - really loving this new album

Karol

The Awakening by Daniel Pemberton: A melodic and grippingly dramatic horror/suspense score with excellent use of solo violin and voices. It does apply the classic horror music cliches yet does not devolve into pure slashing and clashing orchestral fury which was refreshing. Obligatory stingers, raging dissonant strings and blaring brass are balanced with eerie, mysterious and melodic orchestral atmosphere and surprisingly robust choral passages and soloist moments.

My opinion of this score has diminished quite a bit really. It's really not that melodic, relying on a rather simplistic 6 note motif (sounds like an accompaniment device fathers theme) and that's about as melodic as it gets. It's not unlistenable of course and features some interesting textural moments. But aside from the rare moments where the choral and orchestral presence are finally allowed to shine, it really is little more than an adequate horror score. Still a lot better than the sound design crap that most modern horror flicks get these days, but altogether its nothing to marvel at. I bought it expecting a lot more than what I ended up getting.

For great gothic horror material, I'd recommend Arnau Bataller's two scores for the La Herencia Valdemar films.

My opinion of this score has diminished quite a bit really. It's really not that melodic, relying on a rather simplistic 6 note motif (sounds like an accompaniment device fathers theme) and that's about as melodic as it gets. It's not unlistenable of course and features some interesting textural moments. But aside from the rare moments where the choral and orchestral presence are finally allowed to shine, it really is little more than an adequate horror score. Still a lot better than the sound design crap that most modern horror flicks get these days, but altogether its nothing to marvel at. I bought it expecting a lot more than what I ended up getting.

For great gothic horror material, I'd recommend Arnau Bataller's two scores for the La Herencia Valdemar films.

Will do!

I was more impressed in Pemberton's work by the less violent approach (there is some in there of that too inevitably), which is the Christopher Young staple, where the horrror scoring is exceedingly violent and often very hard on the ears. It is of course meant to scare the living day lights out of you and does so very well but again not so easy on the ears. There are certainly tracks where the Awakening sounds rather mediocre but still I was much more impressed and postively surprised when I heard this than I expected. I guess you start to appreciate more even the little deviation from the norm blandness that plagues film scores these days.

Ghost Writer by Alexandre Desplat

Agatha Christie's Poirot by Stephen McKeon

The Machinist by Roque Baños

It seems KK is becoming more and more disillusioned with music as time goes by... How long before he writes a review that would go like this:

The Lord Of The Rings. My opinion of this score has diminished quite a bit really. It's really not that melodic, relying on rather simplistic themes and that's about as melodic as it gets. It's not unlistenable of course and features some interesting textural moments. But aside from the rare moments where the choral and orchestral presence are finally allowed to shine, it really is little more than an adequate fantasy score. Still a lot better than the sound design crap that most modern fantasy flicks get these days, but altogether its nothing to marvel at. I bought it expecting a lot more than what I ended up getting.

It seems KK is becoming more and more disillusioned with music as time goes by... How long before he writes a review that would go like this:

The Lord Of The Rings. My opinion of this score has diminished quite a bit really. It's really not that melodic, relying on rather simplistic themes and that's about as melodic as it gets. It's not unlistenable of course and features some interesting textural moments. But aside from the rare moments where the choral and orchestral presence are finally allowed to shine, it really is little more than an adequate fantasy score. Still a lot better than the sound design crap that most modern fantasy flicks get these days, but altogether its nothing to marvel at. I bought it expecting a lot more than what I ended up getting.

Hehehe I don't think he is that far gone just yet. :)

I'm sure he was talking about the Rosenman score.

:rimshot:

I actually like the Rosenman score quite a bit, although I don't think it is in the same league with Shore's work.

:music:SUN - Soul of the Ultimate Nation by Howard Shore

Rosenman's score has some noteworthy moments but is outweighed by some very cliche and obnoxious writing. The Mordor chant makes me want to punch someone in the face (any volunteers?).

God forbid, if that day were to come, you know what to do BB. Just make sure its quick...

Rosenman's score has some noteworthy moments but is outweighed by some very cliche and obnoxious writing. The Mordor chant makes me want to punch someone in the face (any volunteers?).

I agree with you.

It is good to remember that is it an animation film in the end although a good dose darker than most animation fare. Still Rosenman had to work with such material and e.g. his silly march main theme reflects that. It is clearly Rosenman from start to finish and does not have any deeper ambitions to add Shore type depth to the narrative and storytelling. Oh and yes the Mordor-chant is a bit silly too.

It will be painless. Alvar is quick with a switchblade.

Swedish people don't use switchblades. They have meatballs for that purpose. Switch meatballs. You die a quick, tasty and painless death KK if Alvar has to use that most feared of Swedish weapons.

Dont they stab people with frozen herring?

That's their second most feared weapon.

And Nokia has bought Microsoft...oh wait...

Yes we are in national mourning over Nokia at the moment. Only the knowledge that Stephen Elop, the crafty mole who bartered the cellphone deal with Microsoft and sold us out will lose a lot of his Nokia bonuses in his divorce! In your face Elop! You didn't get to enjoy that money for long!

:music:Poltergeist 2

Listening to SotUN getting geeked imagining what we will hear in DOS.

Yeah I had the same experience while listening to the score today. This music has really grown better with age.