What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

It's funny that most of the tunes are actually Christmas carol, but giving them this The Lord of the Rings kind of like choral treatment, they sound really impressive. It's a fantastic album and definitely among my favourite Christmas albums ever.

:music:Batman (La-La Land's first disc)

Karol

Oh I like Doctor Parnassus too, very underrated score.

While not exactly film scores, or not at all, but... I just came back from a BBC Philharmonic concert in Nottingham where they played Manuel de Falla's The Three Cornered Hat Suite suite no 2, Prokofiev's second Violin Concerto, Maurice Ravel's Daphnic and Chloë Suite no. 2. and, most importantly Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring. The whole evening being basically a tribute to Sergei Diaghilev's famous ballet productions. Each piece was better than the previous one. And it really takes a live performance of Stravinsky's piece to understand and feel just why is it held in such a high regard - it doesn't make quite a same impression heard even on best recordings. And Nottingham concert hall's spectacular acoustics were clearly the star of this evening. I also have to say, Ravel's piece made a great impression on me - something I might want to investigate while preparing a next list of music shopping (just joking, I don't make lists like that):

Karol

Predator.jpg

monstersquad.jpg

15477.jpg

1254325621_prince-of-darkness.jpg

51eDi4FFM-L.jpg

The Dark Knight Returns - Christopher Drake does it again, not only perfectly capturing the spirit/sound of Batman, but also the 80s', in which this movie takes place. Definitely would recommend it (Score, graphic novel, and movie.)

Agreed. Though as much as I want the score I have yet to purchase or own it. I'm still holding out for a pressed CD. Instead of the digital album/ Amazon CDR format that's available, but good to know that someone else up here likes Drake's TDKR score.

Earthquake by John Williams: A rather curious collection of moods ranging from symphonic scoring to rather outrageous 1970's jazz and lounge music, stylistically a companion piece to the other disaster movie scores he did at the time, The Poseiden Adventure (less so) and The Towering Inferno (very much so). The main City Theme is a nice piece of writing, the jazzy romantic version heard on the eponymous track a nice romantic jazzy exploration of the long lined melody. The album has very much in common with the earlier Williams scores from the 1960's like the Diamond Head and Penelope and Not With My Wife You Don't, where the composer uses the pop-music sensibilities throughout the score and often creates more fleshed out pieces from source music instead of supplying more of the dramatic underscoring.

Between these pop-tunes we have passages of undeniable dramatic power like the bustling ominous Main Title and the majestic The City Sleeps or the suspenseful and nervously orchestrated Corey in Jeopardy. In the end this album creates a musical arc somewhere half-way between the pop-influences and symphonic material. Adding the earthquake sound effects on their own tracks and mixed in on a couple of tracks is more to the detriment than adding to the enjoyment of the work. Almost 3 minutes of ominous rumbles at the finale of the album is entirely unnecessary from music programme point of view. But this album works as a real memento of the special effects spectacle that was Earthquake.

I think I've never heard anything from this score beyond the main title (with some sound effects, if I can remember correctly).

House of Frankenstein by Don Davis

While Patrick Doyle gets all the praise for his work, this one might be even better actually. Grand, thematic and containing very nice choral work. Highly enjoyable.

Karol

I think I've never heard anything from this score beyond the main title (with some sound effects, if I can remember correctly).

House of Frankenstein by Don Davis

While Patrick Doyle gets all the praise for his work, this one might be even better actually. Grand, thematic and containing very nice choral work. Highly enjoyable.

Karol

Davis is a composer who has flown under my radar quite a number of years. I should investigate his works more.

Has Davis anything film related lined up in the future?

Doesn't look like it... He said nothing of that.

But... there are some interesting works of his out there. One of them is House of Frakenstein.

Or, if you prefer something lighter in a tradition of Horner, Williams, Arnold (and generally Hollywood fantasy) try Warriors of Virtue. It might not be terribly original, but it's so well crafted that, for me, impossible not to like

Karol

He hasn't scored a film since 2007 actually. Last thing I'm aware of him working on was orchestrating part of Toy Story 3 for Randy Newman

Yes, he's a regular orchestrator for Randy Newman. But from what I understand, he doesn't take on many orchestrating jobs because he doesn't like the music and he can't make it better. As for the composing jobs, he's probably too old-fashioned for big studios in his approach and has been away for too long anyway.

Pity.

Karol

I don't get it. Does it mean I'm supposed to say Randy Newman when someone is sneezing?

Listening to Evil Dead, again. One of the few scores this year that musically are truly exceptionally accomplished technically. The alaeotoric/atonal elements are complimented by a strong thematic material.

Karol

I don't get it. Does it mean I'm supposed to say Randy Newman when someone is sneezing?

Karol

You can alternate between them. Not only do you seem interestingly eccentric you also keep people on their toes that way.

Listening to Evil Dead, again. One of the few scores this year that musically are truly exceptionally accomplished technically. The alaeotoric/atonal elements are complimented by a strong thematic material.

Karol

I should delve into this score as well. I have not had the time to properly take a full listen of it but everybody has been praising it.

Baños' The Machinist is also a great and creepy score, from the other end of the spectrum in dynamics though. But the composer clearly has the chops for truly accomplished orchestral writing.

He hasn't scored a film since 2007 actually. Last thing I'm aware of him working on was orchestrating part of Toy Story 3 for Randy Newman

There was a bit of info from Reddit that I posted last month, where his son said something like "it's too bad he's retired." Seems like he's tired of the film world, but hopefully not done composing altogether.

Karol

You can alternate between them. Not only do you seem interestingly eccentric you also keep people on their toes that way.

Of course, you don't want to overuse Randy Newman. Otherwise it will become cool (and cliche) and you could subsequently say "Randy Newman!" only with the addition of "And I was saying that before it was cool, so it's ok" in order to lower people's eyebrows.

Karol

Karol

Of course, you don't want to overuse Randy Newman. Otherwise it will become cool (and cliche) and you could subsequently say "Randy Newman!" only with the addition of "And I was saying that before it was cool, so it's ok" in order to lower people's eyebrows.

Karol

Far be it from me to become a hipster at this point. I am not that far gone yet.

hipster-gandalf-550x367.png

It can be their own private joke. Oh the times they will have, laughing at Randy Newman when everybody else is raising a curious eye brow.

The Young Americans by David Arnold

Actually his debut score, for a low budget crime film by Danny Cannon (Judge Dredd) It's not the kind of score one would expect for a film like this. Full orchestra and choir (the National Symphony Orchestra Of London and the Chameleon Arts Choir)

The CD release only features 4 score tracks amongst the many songs. Björk contributes on two of those. Opening Titles, has moody strings and Björk's voice, singing half heard sentences and phrases slowly building to a crescendo. It's actually a very effective combo. I tried looking for a transcript of what she is singing, but no luck so far.

The best cue is Christian's Requiem, a massive yet intimate choral showstopper based on a nicely dramatic 5 note theme. It's actually one of my favourite Arnold tracks ever. And would foreshadow some of his work on ID4, Stargate etc...

Leaving London has Björk literally screaming her way into Play Dead, her hit song, co composed by Arnold. A great song actually, even though I'm no fan of the way the cymbals are mixed, they sounds wishy washy, like a very low Kbps mp3.

Just over 16 minutes of material. I would buy an expanded version in a heart beat.

Has anyone apart from me (and Fommes) ever heard this? I can't even find the score tracks on Youtube.

Poltergeist

I had a dream last night that Jerry Goldsmith visited my family's house and I kept thinking to myself "wasn't he dead for 9 years?" after which I decided "Oh never mind, I'll ask him to sign my Star Trek V expanded soundtrack", which I couldn't find and he had to leave very soon. But what I did find was a newspaper with a picture of a paedophile and rapist that looked just like him (and he got really close to my younger sister), so I started acting very suspicious. I got worried that might be him, but then they showed news on TV that Jerry Goldsmith came back from behind the grave to celebrate his 10th death anniversary with a tour of concerts. And that's how found us: through a homestay website. Anyway, I forgot about the rapist thing and found the CD, which suddenly had 16 alternate covers and I couldn't decide which one to sign. And then I woke up.

Karol

Poltergeist

I had a dream last night that Jerry Goldsmith visited my family's house and I kept thinking to myself "wasn't he dead for 9 years?" after which I decided "Oh never mind, I'll ask him to sign my Star Trek V expanded soundtrack", which I couldn't find and he had to leave very soon. But what I did find was a newspaper with a picture of a paedophile and rapist that looked just like him (and he got really close to my younger sister), so I started acting very suspicious. I got worried that might be him, but then they showed news on TV that Jerry Goldsmith came back from behind the grave to celebrate his 10th death anniversary with a tour of concerts. And that's how found us: through a homestay website. Anyway, I forgot about the rapist thing and found the CD, which suddenly had 16 alternate covers and I couldn't decide which one to sign. And then I woke up.

Karol

:music:Carol Anne's Theme

Save me from bad dreams

if they should come,

raging into my heart.

Keep us together one family,

nothing can tear apart.

Bless this house,

bless this house

and the souls within,

through the night til it's light again.

Guide our hearts

through the dark

to the breaking day,

bless this house

bless this house

we pray.

ENDURING LOVE: Jeremy Sams

Be surprised that a new filmscore obviously got away with a dedicated Vaughan-Williams homage that even soars into concertant heights in PASSACAGLIA that have been long absent form filmscoredom. Fans of the sweet and delicate IRIS (Horner) or even ANGELA'S ASHES and such might find something to like in this album, though i never even have heard of Jeremy Sams (an oversight that will no be corrected). It's on Spotify.

Escape from Tomorrow by Abel Korzenioswki

Dracula by John Williams: A wonderful gothic powerhouse of a score simply oozing dark romance and scares. While anchored in the lush long lined romantic main theme the score album provides variety with atmospheric and inventive horror scoring (Meeting in the Cave, The Bat Attack), mournful trumpet interludes (For Mina) and wonderful scherzo (To Scarborough) that is among the most driving from that fantastic period of the composer's career. The main theme is a great mix of foreboding and high drama and rumbles and soars in turn in pieces like The Night Journeys, The Love Scene and Dracula's Death and the final deliciously ominous yet mournful statement in the End Titles. I really hope this score receives some kind of re-release soon, either a complete score (looks unlikely at the moment) or a better release of the original OST as the Varese LP to CD transfer has a rather iffy quality to it. But the score itself is fantastic like all the LSO/JW collaborations from this period are.

:music:The Reivers

Eiger Sanction by John Williams

Journey by Austin Wintory

Road to Perdition by Thomas Newman

Angela's Ashes by John Williams

Journey by Austin Wintory

Whats it like?

Yes quite sublime as Koray says above. Here is my review of the album. I would have to say the score demands a few listen for it to fully sink in but I found it a fascinating blend of melodic and ambient with a rare dose of refinement to it.

It doesn't demand anything more if you experience it with the game ;)

This was how I first discovered this score. Eric Whitacre had posted it on Facebook, and I just sat watching it straight through. Sublime is definitely the right word. Wintory, along with Jeremy Soule, gives me hope for good video game music and good video games in general. And Marty O'Donnell of course.

Sublime is definitely the right word. Wintory, along with Jeremy Soule, gives me hope for good video game music and good video games in general. And Marty O'Donnell of course.

Hope? There's already a shitload of awesome video game music out there!