What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

And I am always happy to see Alice Brallice writing a new post. :)

But don't you see her like almost every day, being her brother and all Alvar.

Legends of the Fall by James Horner: Big, emotional, dare I say schmaltzy, and it all works perfectly as a listening experience with a tour-de-force of Horner's larger than life dramatic scoring, action and romance bound into one excellent package. Big rousing themes and lilting melodies hinting at the British Isles although the movie is set in America flow together with subtle ethnic percussion and Kazu Matsui's shakuhachi piping that actually fits the atmosphere surpringly well considering how culturally odd choice it is. Horner's gift for writing long unified sequences shines through once again, none better than the closing track, a whopping 15 minute recapitulation of all that has come before it. Definitely one of my favourite Horner scores.

Alvar and Alice were never close growing up. It's a long story.

Isn't this the wrong Newman?

You mean Randy surely.

And I am always happy to see Alice Brallice writing a new post. :)

But don't you see her like almost every day, being his brother and all Alvar.

His? Another one??! :o

Non-native speaker's typo/thought error Monsieur Shark. Nothing more. No need to be alarmed. There is no Chaacening happening here.

How is it Alice? I am really intrigued as this has flown completely under the radar for me. I am always happy to see David Newman scoring a new film. :)

now that I've listened to it I guess I'd say it's a fairly well-composed score with a few highly enjoyable and majestic moments here and there but it doesn't really... stand out. shame!

:music: To the Library and Beyond (Matilda)

hehe... now we're talking!

:)

now that HAS to be a first for you.

WRONG!

Just check my very first thread on this forum (well, second if you count my presentation thread): http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19157

RIGHT!

The Hobbit the Desolation of Smaug (Special Edition) by Howard Shore

WRONG!

Just check my very first thread on this forum (well, second if you count my presentation thread): http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19157

damn! at first I was like: "who IS that?"... and then the capsing began.

back to the topic! can someone recommend me a fun and upbeat score? some serious kitchen magic going on! and if I listen to ratatouille or httyd one more time...

can someone recommend me a fun and upbeat score? some serious kitchen magic going on! and if I listen to ratatouille or httyd one more time...

Brave by Patrick Doyle

Now You See Me by Brian Tyler

Knights of Badassdom by Bear McCreary

Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol by Michael Giacchino

Epic by Danny Elfman

I've been on a Morricone streak for the past few days, which made me remember that this existed. I remember when these guys first became a thing, famous for being hand picked by Simon Cowell. Nice voices, and an extremely tasteful arrangement of Ennio's theme from The Mission with a lovely Italian text. It may verge on too popish for some, but I think it's gorgeous.

I prefer the Pet Shop Boys "adapting" "Once Upon A Time In The West" into "It Couldn't Happen Here".

...or it might have been "Once Upon A Time In America"...

I agree with those apart from MI: III. It's dull

Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol = MI4, not MI3. I too am not a HUGE fan of MI3. However, MI4 is a lot of fun, especially the Russian and Indian bits!

Yes, it was directed by Brad Bird (Iron Giant, Incredibles, Ratatouille) and starred Simon Pegg, Jeremy Renner, and Léa Seydoux

back to the topic! can someone recommend me a fun and upbeat score? some serious kitchen magic going on! and if I listen to ratatouille or httyd one more time...

Chicken Run by John Powell and Harry Gregson-Williams

Sinbad - Legend of the Seven Seas by Harry Gregson-Williams

Young Sherlock Holmes by Bruce Broughton

:music: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade by John Williams

Brave by Patrick Doyle

Epic by Danny Elfman

(Y) I've totally forgotten about those two. thanks.

Sinbad - Legend of the Seven Seas by Harry Gregson-Williams

Young Sherlock Holmes by Bruce Broughton

:music: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade by John Williams

yes, yes, yes! haven't listened to chicken run... in about two weeks. high time!

Hmm.. upbeat...

Back to the Future - Silvestri

Super Mario Bros. - Silvestri

Star Trek TOS: Shore Leave - Gerald Fried

1941 - John Williams

can someone recommend me a fun and upbeat score? some serious kitchen magic going on! and if I listen to ratatouille or httyd one more time...

Brave by Patrick Doyle

Now You See Me by Brian Tyler

Knights of Badassdom by Bear McCreary

Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol by Michael Giacchino

Epic by Danny Elfman

Brave is a dull score aside from some highlights. Don't particularly remember MI4 very well, and haven't heard Knights of Badassdom. Now You See Me perfectly fits the bill (very fun score), and Epic is good too.

Upbeat and fun is almost synonymous with John Powell. Since you've already exhausted the HTTYD route, and Chicken Run has already been suggested, I'd also put Kung Fu Panda 2 on that list.

Some others that come to mind at the moment:

American Beauty (Thomas Newman)

Couples Retreat (A. R. Rahman)

Charlotte's Web (Danny Elfman)

Frida (Elliott Goldenthal)

Coraline (Bruno Coulais) - Okay, this one might not be all that upbeat, but still very fun.

I don't know. I find the quirky stuff fun...., maybe not the best example though.

The marimba stuff is quirky and fun but there is the more melancholic side to the score (most Newman scores do) as well which is equally brilliant.

And no doubt Alice has listened to American Beauty a few times before. ;)

Exactly. Both sides to the score are great, but the score is largely known for the marimba stuff. And I think it's the best example of how fun the Coolman can be.

Last scores I listened to:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - Kumi Tanioka

Zelda: Majora's Mask (The Score Album/Complete Edit) - Koji Kondo & Toru Minegishi

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (Expanded Edit) - John Williams

The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Condensed Album Edit)

E.T.

El Cid.

I don't know. I find the quirky stuff fun...., maybe not the best example though.

The marimba stuff is quirky and fun but there is the more melancholic side to the score (most Newman scores do) as well which is equally brilliant.

Lemony Snicket!

Lemony Snicket!

Any Coolman fan worth his/her salt should listen to that one. Quirky dessert indeed.

Yes, it was directed by Brad Bird (Iron Giant, Incredibles, Ratatouille) and starred Simon Pegg, Jeremy Renner, and Léa Seydoux

And it's good.

Yes, that.

Just came back from a concert dedicated to John Barry. Royal Liverpool Philharmonic under Nicholas Dodd performed some usual suspects. It was entertaining.

Karol - who also listened to Standard Operating Procedure and Lair

Monuments Men by Alexandre Desplat

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by John Williams

You can order Amazon on-demand disc. Technically speaking it is lossless and it looks like a regular release.

Demons of St Petersburg by Ennio Morricone. Now this is an impressive score. Reminds me a great deal of Shostakovich in it's dry wit. Highly recommended!

Karol

Hey, this is cool. Never heard it before. I don't suppose it's available on CD?

Actually, this track is available on this promotional album.

Interesting - though I guess that basically counts as a "no". :P

That promo is very rare, I've searched for it for a a quite a while now. I've always loved that piece (I'm surprised, Marian, you weren't familiar with it. It was mentioned in the Poledouris documentary). Really allowed Poledouris to express his Greek roots

9b436478c6b433e139fafd62fd4c6fc94ee4534b

Hey, I thought this was pretty good! Perhaps best described as Americana piano music. I might even buy the actual album. I did not listen to the first track though. I just wanted to hear the solo piano.

Alex