What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Black Sunday, The Fury and Family Plot. At the moment, those three are among of my very favourites in Williams' repertoire.

Karol

Listening to Maleficent right now. It's good, but the memorability component is sadly lacking. The colours are really nice though.

How I'd describe 90%+ of JNH's music.

The Peacemaker by Hans Zimmer

I'll have to give this one a listen - until I saw it on LLL's site I'd never even heard of the movie.

I Am Legend. I'm not sure whether the whole score qualifies as great but the theme JNH has crafted is absolutely gorgeous.

My favorite JNH theme and score. I get goosebumps whenever I hear "I Am Robert Neville." Also, I just noticed your signature - what a great quote, even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

I Am Dina (Marco Beltrami) - Beltrami writes such good dramatic music it's a shame he gets shoe-horned into action or horror scores where he always seems a little uneasy. "Dina's Etude" - amazing.

I've been listening to it a lot recently and it really grows with repeated listens. I like the way he plays around with the motifs. But the action writing is generic as hell, some of the electronic additions are needlessly obrtusive (similar to how it was in Snow White, though it was much worse with that film), and not a big fan of Maleficent's generic "bad guy" theme. If there was a strong main theme to bring it all together, it would go much higher in my books. But still quite good though.

I certainly grew on me over the past few days. The album still feels more like a collection of tracks rather than a smooth listening experiences, but there is enough strong material to impress. In fact there is no real "filler" in there. But this musix still probably doesn't need 72 minutes.

And I still believe the song interpretation is a brilliant touch.

And KK: I don't think action music was JNH's strongest asset ever. In any style.

Karol - who also listened to Super 8 and Medal of Honor: Frontline last night

Imperial City is quite awesome. I couldn't imagine a film that would use music like this - might be too grandiose even for Golden Age. It's a really nice disc and pleasant music, but it never sounded even remotely like Star Wars to me.

Karol

Imperial City is quite awesome. I couldn't imagine a film that would use music like this - might be too grandiose even for Golden Age. It's a really nice disc and pleasant music, but it never sounded even remotely like Star Wars to me.

Karol

I actually like very much that most of the time McNeely isn't trying to do a John Williams impersonation but strikes out on his own in his own style (apart from a few obligatory nods and moments). It doesn't necessarily sound like Williams' Star Wars but on its own it makes for a fine album, especially if you bear in mind that this isn't Williams' Star Wars at all but McNeely's. Imperial City is indeed awesome impressionistic orchestral painting and The Destruction of Xizor's Palace has great Prokofievian grandiose flavour to it as well. A fine album.

Oh and Rózsa would give McNeely run for his money in the grandiosity department. Not one to shy away from big sound that one. ;)

Karol - who also listened to Super 8 and Medal of Honor: Frontline last night

Medal of Honor: Frontline is still firmly among the best music Giacchino has ever composed in terms of sheer enjoyment and great dramatic and fun arc he creates with his music. Super 8 might need some judicious editing to produce the best kind of listening experience as at 75 minutes it is a tad too long.

Micahel Kamen's X-Men. It's good. I like his main theme and the Logan and Rogue theme. "Poland, 1944" is a nice cue as well.

The 13th Warrior

First Knight

Next up: The Mummy? Masada? The Wind and the Lion? :jerry:

Try Lionheart and The Ghost and The Darkness.

Apart from The Asteroid Field and a couple of other moments I've really grown apart from TESB. I much prefer his Star Wars, and it's comparatively lower key style.

Of course, I still consider TESB score to be a masterpiece. Star Wars is just THAT good.

I've always considered Star Wars to be the better score. The Empire Strikes Back is phenomenal but Star Wars is just 100% from start to finish.

Apart from The Asteroid Field and a couple of other moments I've really grown apart from TESB. I much prefer his Star Wars, and it's comparatively lower key style.

the reverse for me.

Couple of female composers today

Portman - The Lake House

Wiseman - Arsène Lupin

Check out Heather McIntosh's score for Compliance - it's one of my favorites of the last few years.

Portman - The Lake House

Wiseman - Arsène Lupin

Best score she's ever done. A great listen from start to finish.

Yes! A fantastic piece of work!

Portman - The Lake House

Wiseman - Arsène Lupin

Yes! A fantastic piece of work!

Great score! I also enjoyed Lesbian Vampire Killers. I need to check out more of her stuff.

Courtesy or rather via YouTube, been on a Goldsmith binge. Just randomly hitting add to watch list and going on some kind of ride. Tracks/suites from:

Runaway/Night Crossing/Capricorn One/Damnation Alley/The Other/MacArthur/Chinatown/Rudy (a film I've got to check out)/ The Salamander and Logan's Run

makes me want to check some of the films out just to 'see' the music in action. Even if they're crap (Logan's/Capricorn/MacArthur and Chinatown I have seen).

Portman - The Lake House

Wiseman - Arsène Lupin

Better than Wilde? I'll have to check it out!

Portman - The Lake House

Wiseman - Arsène Lupin

Better than Wilde? I'll have to check it out!

Wilde is a good contestant for her best score but Arséne Lupin is as a whole more satisfying and less repetetive.

Lincoln by John Williams

haven't listened to film music in what feels like ages. inspiration! I need inspiration!

Chicken Run

I just today once again rediscovered how awesome that one is.

haven't listened to film music in what feels like ages. inspiration! I need inspiration!

I find Debbie Wiseman's work to be inspirational. Wilde is quite beautiful.

Romeo & Juliet (Nino Rota)

Never fails to get to me.

Ditto. Rota just captures this story to perfection in his music.

I find Debbie Wiseman's work to be inspirational. Wilde is quite beautiful.

Very true. The main themes are a lyrical delight.

But How to Train Your Dragon 2 is inspirational too. It might be enormous in sound most of its running time but the sheer enthusiasm and joy coming off the recording makes me grin with delight.

Oh and to rekindle your appreciation of James Newton Howard you should take a listen of Maleficent.

Chicken Run

I just today once again rediscovered how awesome that one is.

It happens to be one of Alice's favourite and most often listened scores apparently. ;)

But it does have such playful and fun energy it simply cannot fail in raising your spirits. How can you not smile when the kazoos kick in?

How To Train Your Dragon 2

John Carter

Speed 2 (it's funny that the Necromancer theme from The Hobbit makes several appearances on this one)

And King Crimson's album Islands. One of my favourite non-score discs.

Karol

Speed 2 (it's funny that the Necromancer theme from The Hobbit makes several appearances on this one)

Um, no.

One of the themes from The Hobbit does appear, though. The one from first film when they speak of Necromancer. Even in the same key.

Karol

Well I know that score (Speed 2) like the back of my hand, I can picture what part you're talking about but I think the connection is tentative at best. Good enough excuse as any to listen to one of my favorite scores today at work though :)

This is, of course, a joke. :) Sometimes certain music brings the memory of something else. Not an accusation, just fun similarity.

Thanks to fommes for giving me a free copy of Speed 2 the other day. It's really fun.

Karol