What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Just can't get enough of Rhapsody in Blue.

It's my go-to music whenever I'm feeling a little anxious, the kind of self-conscious anxiety resulting from a non-specific sadness.

A state I like to call Blue. :sarcasm:

It's never been music that has conjured thoughts of the colour blue in my mind. But everyone's different, so Gershwin must have associated the music with that particular colour somehow.

Actually, according to history, Gershwin originally called it "American Rhapsody."

The title Rhapsody in Blue was suggested by his brother, Ira, after his visit to an art gallery featuring the work of James Whistler. Amongst his work there was Nocturne in Black and Gold: The Falling Rocket and Arrangement in Grey and Black (better known as Whistler's Mother).

So in this case, the blame for the title lies with the brother, not the composer.

It's never been music that has conjured thoughts of the colour blue in my mind. But everyone's different, so Gershwin must have associated the music with that particular colour somehow.

Actually, according to history, Gershwin originally called it "American Rhapsody."

The title Rhapsody in Blue was suggested by his wife, Ira, after his visit to an art gallery featuring the work of James Whistler. Amongst his work there was Nocturne in Black and Gold: The Falling Rocket and Arrangement in Grey and Black (better known as Whistler's Mother).

So in this case, the blame for the title lies with the wife, not the composer.

George Gershwin had a brother and a wife with the same name? That would have been awks,

The title Rhapsody in Blue was suggested by his brother, Ira, after his visit to an art gallery featuring the work of James Whistler. Amongst his work there was Nocturne in Black and Gold: The Falling Rocket and Arrangement in Grey and Black (better known as Whistler's Mother).

So in this case, the blame for the title lies with the brother, not the composer.

George Gershwin had a brother and a wife with the same name? That would have been awks,

Fixed.

Filmtracks, as a review site is largely useless now because a lot of score releases from labels like Intrada, LLL etc dont get reviewed. Just checked the main page and I dont even see an entry for TBOTFA???

I dont visit the forum because it looks ugly and unwieldy. Threaded posts on a black background? That was JWFan in 2000...we've moved on

I agree. He hates the Zimmer/RC sound but keeps reviewing scores in that vein. Which seems as pointless as me reviewing a Country and Western album. I prefer to read reviews from the people who actually like this kind of music.

Angèle Dubeau - Game Music

This album right here. Very cool violin-led interpretations of some video game scores. My favorite tracks where the ones with music from Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana, But I enjoyed the whole album! Tetris music was really fun :)

If you liked this album, you should check Symphonic Fantasies (the WDR Radio Orchestra recording, not the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra one). The Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross medley found on the Game Music album is just a shortened (and lesser!) version of the medley found on the Symphonic Fantasies album. Same for Secret Of Mana and Final Fantasy.

Oh, and the best recording of the Tetris theme is this one:

This version is quite funky too:

I'm sorry, but should this not go in the Video Game score thread?

I'm sorry, but should this not go in the Video Game score thread?

No.

This thread is called "What Is The Last Score You Listened To?", not "What Is The Last Film Score You Listened To?", so it means you can talk about any score, including video game ones.

Brian Tyler - Now You See Me

Still love it. So thankful Brian made the complete (?) score available on his soundcloud. Shame no studio was willing to give it a physical OST release. I hope his sequel score is good, and gets a real CD!

JWFan is a round square.

So because Ira was the wordsmith of the duo, he wanted his own influence on the piece by giving it a vague and cryptic name,

It's only vague and cryptic if you don't have all the information.

Rhapsody: A description of the type of work the music is. Nothing vague or cryptic about that.

in Blue: A reflection of the work's European and American influences, including blues music which has been around since the late 19th century. The color reference was simply Ira's nod to the painter James Whistler's work, Nocturne In Blue And Green of the Thames at Chelsea and Nocturne in Black and Gold – The Falling Rocket.

And the mystery is solved.

THE CONVERSATION - David Shire

A long journey down to paranoia-land. Love Shire's fluid handling of the piano, it's a marvel of conflicted feelings, often starting harmonically upbeat or at least thrusting forward in a way that doesn't sound unpleasant, just to be interrupted by a singular toxic tone that sours the mood before gradually tightening its grip into full-blown musical paranoia. And it works wonders for Coppola's movie. ...unsettling how it doesn't betray its age, 1973, 2014, who could tell (smartasses move forward now)? 

I listened to the last 40 minutes of Hook (twice), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial complete score, Amazing Stories: The Mission original and re-recording and Star Wars Trilogy: The Original Soundtrack Anthology. Amazing Stories: The Mission was my favorite overall!

THE CONVERSATION - David Shire

A long journey down to paranoia-land. Love Shire's fluid handling of the piano, it's a marvel of conflicted feelings, often starting harmonically upbeat or at least thrusting forward in a way that doesn't sound unpleasant, just to be interrupted by a singular toxic tone that sours the mood before gradually tightening its grip into full-blown musical paranoia. And it works wonders for Coppola's movie. ...unsettling how it doesn't betray its age, 1973, 2014, who could tell (smartasses move forward now)?

Totally agree. Terrific score

JWFan is a round square.

So because Ira was the wordsmith of the duo, he wanted his own influence on the piece by giving it a vague and cryptic name,

Rhapsody: A description of the type of work the music is. Nothing vague or cryptic about that.

in Blue: A reflection of the work's European and American influences, including blues music which has been around since the late 19th century. The color reference was simply Ira's nod to the painter James Whistler's work, Nocturne In Blue And Green of the Thames at Chelsea and Nocturne in Black and Gold – The Falling Rocket.

Glad they came up with a name that was shorter and easier to remember.

JWFan is a round square.

Glad they came up with a name that was shorter and easier to remember.

Me, too.

Also, American Rhapsody would've sounded too generic, anyway.