What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

If it had gotten a 40 minute OST at the time of the film's release, the eventual complete release in the 2000s would have been easier to swallow. Kind of like The Goonies

Or The Hobbit scores.

Sometimes Thor is right.

I never had problems with The Hobbit scores. If they released albums like this for The Lord of the Rings like this, I would agree. But after so many years, discussion, book... you just kind of know how to listen to those. The way they're constructed, I mean. We're trained now!

Karol

If it had gotten a 40 minute OST at the time of the film's release, the eventual complete release in the 2000s would have been easier to swallow. Kind of like The Goonies

Or The Hobbit scores.

Sometimes Thor is right.

Do not say such things! Not even in jest! There is only one true format for film scores and it does not beg second guessing! C&C forever!

Or The Hobbit scores.

Sometimes Thor is right.

Do not say such things! Not even in jest! There is only one true format for film scores and it does not beg second guessing! C&C forever!

I once thought like you did.

But I'm no longer sure.

Thor's viewpoint is that no score that got an OST should EVER get an expanded release. I just can't agree with that ever!

I do agree that the composer should be allowed to make his own selection of highlight's at hte time of the film's release for an OST presentation. Too bad Predator, Die Hard, and The Goonies never got that, and we went right from nothing into really long releases

No. I firmly believe EVERY film score should get a COMPLETE release.

I just ALSO think every film score should get a composer-selected OST release.

City Hall by Jerry Goldsmith: What a great little gem of a score this is. I have been listening to this noirish bluesy timpani laden dramatic score on and off for weeks. There is something very urbane Americana about it that I find so appealing. Perhaps it is the shades of Leonard Bernstein's classic On the Waterfront that are partly to blame.

Thor's viewpoint is that no score that got an OST should EVER get an expanded release. I just can't agree with that ever!

I do agree that the composer should be allowed to make his own selection of highlight's at hte time of the film's release for an OST presentation. Too bad Predator, Die Hard, and The Goonies never got that, and we went right from nothing into really long releases

I do like to have a choice and many scores don't work that great on long releases, unless you're interested in analysing them in detail or something like that.

Thor likes "listening experienced arranged by composer" which often does in fact offer the best version.

But... there are a lot of original albums where the original composer WAS NOT happy with. Either due to content, listening experience or mastering.

What then?

Karol

Too bad Predator, Die Hard, and The Goonies never got that, and we went right from nothing into really long releases

That's not accurate. The Goonies got a small score release in 1985, CBS Records SEA-40067. I found it on Napster in college.

Too bad Predator, Die Hard, and The Goonies never got that, and we went right from nothing into really long releases

That's not accurate. The Goonies got a small score release in 1985, CBS Records SEA-40067. I found it on Napster in college.

Very funny

What the hell? Doesn't anyone check Soundtrack Collector anymore?

The Goonies got a song album in 1985, SE 40067, nine songs including the Cyndi Lauper, plus the Grusin theme.

SEA 40067 had ten score tracks plus the Cyndi Lauper.

A Japanese album in 1998 had a lot of score plus the songs and dialogue.

The Varese album is like the twentieth album on the list, though the in between releases are just repackaging of earlier material.

So I don't appreciate the attitude, misters smarty pants. Don't act like nothing existed before 2010 because I listened to it for ten years.

So I'm listening to ET OST and during the track ET and Me I'm like "wow this is so Howard Hanson, I love this". Then I go and check if FSM said anything about this and they're like "Grrrr Williams ripped off Howard Hanson. BURN HIM!!"

What the hell? Doesn't anyone check Soundtrack Collector anymore? The Goonies got a song album in 1985, SE 40067, nine songs including the Cyndi Lauper, plus the Grusin theme. SEA 40067 had ten score tracks plus the Cyndi Lauper. A Japanese album in 1998 had a lot of score plus the songs and dialogue. The Varese album is like the twentieth album on the list, though the in between releases are just repackaging of earlier material. So I don't appreciate the attitude, misters smarty pants. Don't act like nothing existed before 2010 because I listened to it for ten years.

Those are all bootlegs, soundtrackcollector is wrong. The ONLY Goonies score music released before the Varese Deluxe Edition was the ONE track on the song collection OST. Again, all those other CDs are total bootlegs.

It is a really great score. Here the terse and commanding rhythms of Capricorn One style for militaristic opression meet Jerry's more melodic soaring writing for the freedom of flight to wonderful results and he even throws in a lovely accordion led family theme for some local colour. A blind buy purely on the recommendation of several reviews and good word from folks around here and I wasn't disappointed. Classic Goldsmith in my book.

Do you have an extensive backlog of scores you have but haven't listened to yet?

:eh: Good grief man! What are you doing here?!!! To the listening mobile! Mush! Mush!

Well I've been doing just that - been putting more music on my laptop lately to listen to at work. To that end....

David Newman - Tarzan

Wow! A modern score that sounds like the great orchestral scores of the 90s? Awesome! I need to listen to this again to find more to say about it, but I enjoyed what I heard a lot!

Ed Shearmur - Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Another fun orchestral, super bombastic score. Maybe a bit too bombastic? Need to listen to this more, and maybe not at work. If there was a catchy theme, it didn't stick out to me.

Do you listen with headphones at work or through speakers?

speakers at a low volume. Nobody at my office really uses headphones

Yeah. I mean if I was working and playing scores on my speakers at low volume, most of it would probably sound like elevator music to me!