What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

WarHorse Carrie Towering Inferno Annie Lennox white town wet wet wet Meco ESB The Terminal Lost in Space S1 & S3 Beginning and End credits. Who knows this afternoon.

WarHorse Carrie Towering Inferno Annie Lennox white town wet wet wet Meco ESB The Terminal Lost in Space S1 & S3 Beginning and End credits. Who knows this afternoon.

Forty seven dead beats living in the Backstreet north east west south all in the same house sitting in a back room waiting for the big boom.

Doesn't it all just play as background music, most of which escapes your attention anyway?

Sort of, which is why I tend to only listen to things at work I know very well, or classic rock, or Lithium on XM

Forty seven dead beats living in the Backstreet north east west south all in the same house sitting in a back room waiting for the big boom.
I suppose where I live is the wild wild west from Pennsylvania.

Catch Me If You Can (Amy Dickson album)

The 3 Worlds of Gulliver

Dead Ringers

Unbroken

Karol

Good stuff. :)

All the King's Men by James Horner

No God No Master by Nuno Malo

When the Whales Came by Christopher Gunning

Firelight by Christopher Gunning

7282.jpg

Hook - John Williams (The much improved from the Lalaland Edition) :D

When I sat down and heard the long awaited expansion, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. :huh:

Thankful for finally holding it my hands, I couldn't ignore the most flagrant flaw in this otherwise professionally produced set.

Did they honestly release my most requested unreleased JW music of that film in this way? If you hadn't guessed I'm talking about The Ultimate War.

So I made my own edition that puts all the cues in film order, split those that were put together for the OST.

And most importantly The Ultimate War is now volume-corrected and a real joy to hear.

I will never tire of its swashbuckling quality, and I'm hearing it the way it should've been done in the first place. :w00t:

Hook is one of my favourite scores ever written but I'll never listen to the original discs again.

I'm terribly old-school in that I still directly listen to the discs that are in the jewel case. Except for Hook that is... ;)

Williams wouldn't allow the film version of The Never-Feast, yet he was okay with the awful film stem version of The Ultimate War with edits.

We don't exactly know if the inserts (all the pick-up stuff recorded later than on the original sessions I assume) and final film versions were anywhere to be found for this set, Williams approval or not.

Same goes for the Ultimate War sadly as all they had to work with were the film stems.

Williams wouldn't allow the film version of The Never-Feast, yet he was okay with the awful film stem version of The Ultimate War with edits.

We don't exactly know if the inserts (all the pick-up stuff recorded later than on the original sessions I assume) and final film versions were anywhere to be found for this set, Williams approval or not.

Same goes for the Ultimate War sadly as all they had to work with were the film stems.

The Never Feast insert would be on the film stems too....

I never thought you were the X2 type. There's some good underscore in X2 but the main theme is way too goofy. I personally prefer X1, which has better atmosphere. I heard that John Williams was initially on board for the film and Kamen's score doesn't sound too dissimilar to what Williams would have produced. Also, X3 has better action and melodrama.

The Never Feast insert would be on the film stems too....

True. And they did give us the film version of Banning Back Home, which I assume is from the stems as well. Johnny Williams strikes again!

Empire of the Sun (LLL's Expanded Archival Edition) by John Williams: Just about as perfect a score release of this brilliant piece I could imagine.

Other, than one too many reprise of Exultate Justi at the end, the score flows really well indeed. One of my favourite archival releases last year. Alternate The Return to the City is the most precious find. :)

Night Crossing

Taras Bulba

The Witches of Eastwick

Karol

Other, than one too many reprise of Exultate Justi at the end, the score flows really well indeed. One of my favourite archival releases last year. Alternate The Return to the City is the most precious find. :)

Night Crossing

Taras Bulba

The Witches of Eastwick

Karol

Well there are only two renditions of Exsultate Justi in the score. I like that the song is introduced in the film before the end credits so it doesn't just come out of the blue in the end credits. Again one of those small moments where the score seems to be coming out of Jim's mind in the film, almost like a half-remembered choral piece from his church choir lessons that is like Jim's "inner soundtrack" for the moment in the film, a moment of sheer thankfulness.

Night Crossing

Taras Bulba

The Witches of Eastwick

Karol

Well there are only two renditions of Exsultate Justi in the score. I like that the song is introduced in the film before the end credits so it doesn't just come out of the blue in the end credits. Again one of those small moments where the score seems to be coming out of Jim's mind in the film, almost like a half-remembered choral piece from his church choir lessons that is like Jim's "inner soundtrack" for the moment in the film, a moment of sheer thankfulness.

What I meant is that you have this piece playing and two tracks later... virtually the same thing. It makes sense in sequence, I guess.

It's almost like having Superman March concert version preceding main titles (which is how they sequenced it on the FSM set).

As for the X-Men scores, they all have their pros and cons. Kamen is probably the most unique but undone in post. Plus, I heard some people complaining about his main theme feeling out of place (like in the Roque/Wolverine rescue scene near the beginning). Ottman feels slightly obsessed with temp track (which he imposed on himself) and feels slightly undercomposed in places. The third one is the strongest in terms of flow but goes overboard with noise.

Karol

Catch Me If You Can by John Williams: A delightful love letter to the musical era gone by with its jazzy inflections and slightly Mancini-esque mood yet Williams makes it entirely his own piece. In turn playful, suspenseful and melancholically nostalgic there is a lot of twists and turns along the 45 minute listening experience (sans the period songs) which sums up the score quite succintly. Highlights aplenty including the album opening trio of thematic suites presenting the eponymous "Closing In" theme on track Catch Me If You Can, the deliriously playful constantly moving and peppy The Float and the superbly distilled ruefully nostalgic pathos of Recollections (The Father's Theme) all benefitting from the masterful playing of saxophonist Dan Higgins on alto sax. The rest of the album is more or less variations on the three ideas and flies breezily by in no time as Johnny Williams weaves his magic on the listener.

Night Crossing

Taras Bulba

The Witches of Eastwick

Karol

What I meant is that you have this piece playing and two tracks later... virtually the same thing. It makes sense in sequence, I guess.

Karol

Yes I have to admit the film sequence doesn't leave the renditions much breathing room between them on the album.

:music: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (complete edit)

Karol

The action pieces are a definite highlight along with a few wonderfully atmospheric pieces from the middle portion for some of the tomb spelunking and the whole chilling finale.

People might have Williams post-Attack of the Clones action writing. But, god, if Ants! is not a brilliantly composed and orchestrated piece of music. I also like the ever-morphing Russian theme, Irina's theme and Skull's material.

Karol

People might have Williams post-Attack of the Clones action writing. But, god, if Ants! is not a brilliantly composed and orchestrated piece of music. I also like the ever-morphing Russian theme, Irina's theme and Skull's material.

Karol

Yeah. It is a great action piece and comes very close to the old blow for blow fight scoring employed in Raiders for example. Johnny even transforms the "evil militaristic" interludes in the Map Room: Dawn quotes into a sort of bridge or initial version of the Russian's villain theme. Irina's theme is something I could listen to endlessly as it is some of the best swooning film noir femme fatale music this side of the 50s (even though the character is not).

For Empire of the Sun, don't forget Williams originally only wrote Exsultate Justi for the end credits only, with the earlier cue in the film being unrelated music (that was never recorded). so the double appearance of the almost same music is due to Spielberg asking him to rewrite his original intended cue.

Interesting, I didn't know that. But it does explain why Liberation cue is indeed almost identical.

The Adventures of Tintin. Now, Indy 4 is nice but this score has much more heart overall. And that isn't even changed by the fact that none of themes is really a primary one. Which is, if you think about it, sort of a Williams trend in past four scores. A lot of smaller themes but none of them truly dominant.

Karol

For Empire of the Sun, don't forget Williams originally only wrote Exsultate Justi for the end credits only, with the earlier cue in the film being unrelated music (that was never recorded). so the double appearance of the almost same music is due to Spielberg asking him to rewrite his original intended cue.

So we can assume JW previewed the original for Spielberg and he decided against it and he requested the use of Exsultate Justi. Interesting.

Interesting, I didn't know that. But it does explain why Liberation cue is indeed almost identical.

The Adventures of Tintin. Now, Indy 4 is nice but this score has much more heart overall. And that isn't even changed by the fact that none of themes is really a primary one. Which is, if you think about it, sort of a Williams trend in past four scores. A lot of smaller themes but none of them truly dominant.

Karol

Yeah it is interesting that Williams never create a single long lined theme for Tintin himself but gave him 3 smaller themes instead. The Unicorn theme is really the most central of all the themes you could say and it at some level makes sense as the story is about the McGuffin to a large degree.

Same approach goes for War Horse and Lincoln where Joey and Lincoln both receive several (more fully developed) themes instead of just one central one.