What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Young Sherlock Holmes by Bruce Broughton

How to Train Your Dragon 2 by John Powell

:music: Wolf Totem by James Horner

I've got only the OST album for Congo. Is the Intrada album a worthy upgrade? Or more of a The Sum of All Fears type of redundancy?

Karol

I'm on the fence between buying the expanded edition or the regular OST cd. I might go for the OST, is so much cheaper

I've got only the OST album for Congo. Is the Intrada album a worthy upgrade? Or more of a The Sum of All Fears type of redundancy?

Karol

I'm on the fence between buying the expanded edition or the regular OST cd. I might go for the OST, is so much cheaper

If you're on the fence, get the regular OST. It has a nice enough selection of the music, the new one just doesn't improve much on it. I have the first, love the first, heard the second, will not buy the second.

Alien 3 - Elliot Goldenthal

It's a challenging listen, with some sublime moments of beauty amid the atonality. Goldenthal is channeling Goldsmith, minus the conch, but with a more desperate and introspective flair. "Candles in the Wind" is both beautiful and terrifying in equal measure, while "Adagio" closes out the album with an air of hope glimmering on the horizon.

That's what's so great about him. I'll still be discovering his music long after he's gone.

I dare you to walk up to him after a concert and piping that off the top of your lungs in sheer adoration to Mr Morricone. I am sure he'll be pleased.

But yes he has a staggering discography to be sure.

You may have heard it but his 9/11 piece sounds very much like 'typical' Morricone not in movie mode:

That's fantastic.

61zbHkQ3mIL._SX355_.jpg

CAPRICORN ONE - Jerry Goldsmith

While selling old cd's on eBay i stumbled over this old album version of which i prior only had digitalized the cues MAIN TITLE, BREAKOUT and DOCKING. After putting it on all i can ask: was this man seriously fucked by Oscar recognition? Apart from the pop trifles, every suspense and action cue is like a textbook example of how to write them, the orchestration is wickedly economical and still accomplishes more than all of Brian Tyler's gewalt scores played by 200 musicians together. Thank god the Yamaha synthesizers were still 5 years ahead by this point.

61zbHkQ3mIL._SX355_.jpg

While selling old cd's on eBay i stumbled over this old album version of which i prior only had digitalized the cues MAIN TITLE, BREAKOUT and DOCKING. After putting it on all i can ask: was this man seriously fucked by Oscar recognition? Apart from the pop trifles, every suspense and action cue is like a textbook example of how to write them, the orchestration is wickedly economical and still accomplishes more than all of Brian Tyler's gewalt scores played by 200 musicians together. Thank god the Yamaha synthesizers were still 5 years ahead by this point.

Exactly! I am glad I found the Collector's Corner repressing of the soundtrack album. It is a gem. :)

61zbHkQ3mIL._SX355_.jpg

Exactly! I am glad I found the Collector's Corner repressing of the soundtrack album. It is a gem. :)

Ssshhh! Don't tell anyone, but...I prefer to listen to this over the Intrada release, and I have both.

Jupiter Ascending by Michael Giacchino

Fifty Shades of Grey by Danny Elfman

Wolf Totem by James Horner

Balto by James Horner

It's been a while since I last listened to the last one. But man there are a lot parts that sound like Davis. Sounds like he was doing more than "orchestrating".

Mission to Mars - Ennio Morricone

My favorite from the man.

Not my favourite, but I'll never understand why it has such a bad reputation.

Ssshhh! Don't tell anyone, but...I prefer to listen to this over the Intrada release, and I have both.

The album is much better in this case, yes.

Mission to Mars - Ennio Morricone

My favorite from the man.

Not my favourite, but I'll never understand why it has such a bad reputation.

I feel that about the film too. It has dumb and goofy parts but it's really not that bad and it *looks* fantastic, even more than a decade later.

It has a somewhat cliched 2001: ASO ending, but other than that, it's mostly really good. And the much hated (scene and score) slow motion disaster sequence is fantastic.

And of course it looks fantastic. It's De Palma. I'm still hoping it gets a Blu-ray release someday.

Howard Shore - The Desolation of Smaug

Well, I tried to. After a few tracks I had to switch to something else - I guess I'm still all "The Hobbit"ed out, need a break from these scores before returning. I guess this is why I've made no progress on the themes list, or the complete cue lists for all 3 scores.

Marco Beltrami - Seventh Son

Just the 18 minutes off music up on his official (?) site. Good stuff!

Alan Silvestri - Predator

Hadn't listened to this in a few years. Fun stuff. My recent love of Predator 2 has luckily not lessened my love of it at all. It is still fairly sparse and "small" compared to P2, but it's still great. It's funny, I never really listened to this until long after I was in love with the BTTF scores, and it's kind of a shame how much of the iconic BTTF music has its roots in this score. Luckily he never really repeated himself much after that, at least in the scores of his I've heard.

Michael Giacchino - Star Trek

Wow, I hadn't listened to the middle of this score in a very very long time! Usually I listen to the start up through Chutes and Matter, or I've Fallen and I Can't Beam up or so, before jumping forward to listen to Trekking Down The Narada to the end. That Frozen Dinner cue is fun stuff!

Capricorn One (OST album) by Jerry Goldsmith

City Hall by Jerry Goldsmith

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies aka There and Back Again by Howard Shore

JACK WALL - Mass Effect 2

Another video game score i have infinite fun with. Spherical piano and guitar effects make this an amusing addition for the brotherhood of 1980's futuristic synthesizer scores, albeit better performed/recorded. Too bloody long as usual but in smaller doses it's ace.

Its just pompous posturing. To try and seem atleast faux intellectual. Typical Pub.

I agree

- I think this score sounds very spherical.

- I'm sorry, but to me it sounds more cubical, because the afferent sensory quality of the music is inherent to its subsequent tangibility, if you know what I mean.

On today's menu:

John Williams: Treesong, Violin Concerto / Shaham, Williams, Boston SO
John Williams: Star Wars Episode II - Attack Of The Clones / Original Soundtrack
John Williams: Star Wars Episode III - Revenge Of The Sith / Original Soundtrack
John Williams: Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull / Original Soundtrack
John Williams: War Horse / Original Soundtrack

Alan Silvestri - Predator

Hadn't listened to this in a few years. Fun stuff. My recent love of Predator 2 has luckily not lessened my love of it at all. It is still fairly sparse and "small" compared to P2, but it's still great. It's funny, I never really listened to this until long after I was in love with the BTTF scores, and it's kind of a shame how much of the iconic BTTF music has its roots in this score. Luckily he never really repeated himself much after that, at least in the scores of his I've heard.

I much prefer Predator over the second. The first one basically being the bonafide action classic to which all the rest he writes is judged by.

And have you heard Eraser? If not I recommend you immediately check out the expanded album. It's ace !

And boy, I do hope we get to see an expanded Judge Dredd release this year (20 year anniversary) !!!

Listened to all of the Star Wars end title suites in a row. Empire is the best. The Phantom Menace is probably the weakest as it's basically the two concert suites played back to back without any interesting segue. Revenge of the Sith's suite would be great if it weren't for the tacked on 20 minute arrangement of "The Throne Room" at the end.

Listened to all of the Star Wars end title suites in a row. Empire is the best. (...)

:up: That's my favourite too. The second would be Return of The Jedi, but the original version. I always liked the transition between the finale and the Star Wars Theme on the original recording.