What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Godzilla by Alexandre Desplat: I still can't get into this score. I keep wishing it was bigger, bolder and had some true orchestral carnage but how can 140 players and chorus sound so small.

The dry recording is a disservice to the monumental complexity of the music and orchestration.

I think I've finally identified Godzilla's primary theme. It can be heard in Track 1 at 0:28-0:52 and Track 20 at 0:00-0:20.

Godzilla by Alexandre Desplat: I still can't get into this score. I keep wishing it was bigger, bolder and had some true orchestral carnage but how can 140 players and chorus sound so small.

The dry recording is a disservice to the monumental complexity of the music and orchestration.

That's true. They got a gigantic orchestra and it still sounds too small. It does allow for an excellent clarity but it loses a lot of the visceral impact it could have had.

It's still a really good score though. One of 2014's best.

I think you're all insane.

Right back at you buddy. Right back at you!

140 players and chorus sound so small.

Alexandre+Desplat+-ZZxeFjkf-gm.jpg

Gandalf.jpg

Yeah it kind of does yes.

I wish Goldenthal would have scored this particular film. His sound would have been spot on for this subject matter.

Then again I have not seen the film so I don't know how well Desplat's score works in context. I do know there is a lot of mayhem but we see the monster for a very short period in the film itself.

That's true. They got a gigantic orchestra and it still sounds too small. It does allow for an excellent clarity but it loses a lot of the visceral impact it could have had.

It's still a really good score though. One of 2014's best.

I thought so, too. But then heard it performed by a smaller orchestra...

Karol

A bigger orchestra isn't necessarily a good thing.

No, a bigger orchestra isn't necessarily a *loud* thing. You folks, like amateur composers, assume heavy doublings result in louder volume. No! Often this deadens the sound, making it "broader" instead of louder. Ol' Alex surely knows this. Pope too. Size is more about color, not dynamics.

Why couldn't a sound engineer be able to adjust the recording levels of individually recorded instruments or at least regions of the orchestra to simulate larger numbers of instruments? Otherwise having more of each instrument only matters if you have multiple parts of each instrument, ie first, second, third trumpets, which basically makes each part its own unique instrument. Of course, the more instruments you have, the greater chance of intonation you have, which definitely enhances the human element.

No, a bigger orchestra isn't necessarily a *loud* thing. You folks, like amateur composers, assume heavy doublings result in louder volume. No! Often this deadens the sound, making it "broader" instead of louder. Ol' Alex surely knows this. Pope too. Size is more about color, not dynamics.

Well then Godzilla is lacking in dynamics damn it!

Leave Desplat alone!

Don't you have some Composers Challenge to make?

I'll harp on 'Splat a while yet. I have time to kill.

:music:Vegas Aftermath from Godzilla

Time to kill? Then what don't you go back to writing reviews?!

Actually that is exactly what I am doing in between these attacks on 'Splat!

Chamber Of Secrets is already 2 years late!

Oh I'll get to that eventually but not at the moment. Other fish to fry.

When I heard it played by LSO back in December it didn't seem to have enough weight. Desplat's setup for the had for the soundtrack recording gave it certain ancient antiphonal feel (I'm probably terribly misusing those terms here). It's very propulsive and brutal. It's not quite the same if you play it with the standard sized orchestra. But they tried, bless them.

Plus, someone for once uses taiko drums, a cliche of modern blockbuster, in a proper way.

Karol

The Hobbit? No one cares about that anymore!

Doug Adams has that covered. One can only embarrass oneself when going up against his access to Shore and all the materials and fancy music edumacation.

When I heard it played by LSO back in December it didn't seem to have enough weight. Desplat's setup for the had for the soundtrack recording gave it certain ancient antiphonal feel (I'm probably terribly misusing those terms here). It's very propulsive and brutal. It's not quite the same if you play it with the standard sized orchestra. But they tried, bless them.

Plus, someone for once uses taiko drums, a cliche of modern blockbuster, in a proper way.

Karol

Yeah I dig these drums.

The Hobbit? No one cares about that anymore!

Doug Adams has that covered. One can only embarrass oneself when going up against his access to Shore and all the materials and fancy music edumacation.

So what is it? A Williams score, I supposed? Give us a hint!

It makes sixth sense that these unbreakable signs would point to the village where lady in the water is witnessing the happening of the last airbender struggling to decide which is his favourite planet after Earth.

Is this going to be one big Newton Howard/Shyamalan collaboration review?

Perhaps. ;)

I hope it doesn't disappoint, especially after all this time waiting for it!

Will Inky pull a PJ? I wonder...

You mix up analysis with review here BB. This is more of a retrospect review thingy, not track-by-track analysis of all these scores. It would take considerably longer to conceive such a thing.

Karol

But... but the LSO is excellently versatile!

Karol

But... but the LSO is excellently versatile!

I don't think it has anything to do with that.

But hearing them play Godzilla made me realise just why Desplat needed this excessively big orchestra in the first place.

Karolo

bfbfe9af66a2a40e7d7979c2ffec6696ac6a5e8b

Not as good as The Last Emperor or The Sheltering Sky but still a worthy entry in the Bertolucci/Sakamoto line up. It's a pity that the same can't be said about the film.

Alex

Karol

Actually, I wasn't a fan of the excessive taiko drumming in the score.

The score's merit lies in how brilliantly its orchestrated.

Leave Desplat alone!

Don't you have some Composers Challenge to make?

It's a work in progress!

A dream finally came true - being able to prepare an overlong WARLOCK suite, a score from Jerry Goldsmith's darkest days, no less. It still is no cause for celebration but in Intrada's new edition, there's some delicious spookiness and the fateful tick tocks (the score's sole claim to fame) are fun. No hungarian manglers this time (the credits list the Victorian Philharmonic Orchestra), but age-old convict colonies do not make for great session players, either.

A dream finally came true - being able to prepare an overlong WARLOCK suite, a score from Jerry Goldsmith's darkest days, no less. It still is no cause for celebration but in Intrada's new edition, there's some delicious spookiness and the fateful tick tocks (the score's sole claim to fame) are fun. No hungarian manglers this time (the credits list the Victorian Philharmonic Orchestra), but age-old convict colonies do not make for great session players, either.

Thank you for this, Pub