What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Batman by Danny Elfman. This score has got to have one of the very best final acts in film music histiry. Everything from Charge of the BatmobikeBatmobike up to end credits is iconic.

Karol

Iris :music:

Hmm. Not sure how I feel about this one...

Feel happy, it's a nice score.

How does it compare to Stanley & Iris?

It's exactly the same thing, minus Stanley.

I don't know. Sounds like a mock-up.

I don't mind hybrids as such (The Peacemaker is a good example). But the ones that make it sounds cheap are I'm not a fan of.

The music itself is ok.

Karol

Armageddon is one fantastic 90s MV style action-packed score ! The 2CD boot is one that absolutely rocks my world and without a doubt the finest hour of Harry Gregson-Williams and Trevor Rabin.

The OST doesn't even scratch the surface. I was shocked how much great cues were left off. The OST is practically only Rabin anyway and what Gregson-Williams contributed is just as good.

Well, it was more in a context of Academy Award nominations that year. They start talking about it from 7:25 and Horner mentions Giacchino at about 8:55.

P,S. My favourite quote ever from Horner can be heard at 24:50. Yeah, I know it's out of context. But it is just funny when he says that. ;)

Karol

John Williams is not Lincoln's best score, but it's still an enjoyable listen. I particularly like Angela Morley's Theme and The Recording Booth Scene.

Well, that's where he is NOW, in his artistical's career now, at the age he is now. So Lincoln has to be considered, like Tintin and Book Thieft as major works.

We can't compare a new work, by such an great Master, with the best works he did when he began his maturity period.

All new John Williams's works are now part of his "musical testament", and have to be judge with all our respect, on behalf of what JW can delivers now, at the point he's now in his career.

Lincoln, is a truly great score, a five-star one and I love it very much!

John Williams is not Lincoln's best score, but it's still an enjoyable listen. I particularly like Angela Morley's Theme and The Recording Booth Scene.

Yep, great tracks. And I'm keen on 'My pop band son named Joseph', 'Steven's Theme' and 'Writing Marches for Heroes'.

There's a minor goof during the solo's on 'Morrison and the trumpet'. I guess they didn't ask him to play that part.

But the score ends with a stunner: 'Close Encounters of the Artificial Intelligence'.

Hugely operatic and played perfectly by all 150 players of the orchestra. But it becomes a bit too wall of sound during the last 2 minutes. A shame.

Listening to the non-choral action finale of The Phantom Menace :music:. I think I actually prefer this to the more heralded "Duel of the Fates". "The Tide Turns" is one of Williams' best cues. I hope that TFA takes on some of the gusto of the aforementioned sequences.

Listening to the non-choral action finale of The Phantom Menace :music:.

Less-choral you mean. The Great Duel was choral

Listening to the non-choral action finale of The Phantom Menace :music:.

Less-choral you mean. The Great Duel was choral

Not that part actually, as it is unreleased. I was listening to it on *gasp* The Ultimate Edition...

I don't mind hybrids as such (The Peacemaker is a good example). But the ones that make it sounds cheap are I'm not a fan of.

Agreed, although the intentionally cheap-sounding stuff at the beginning of Cool Runnings is excellent.  The pseudo-reggae synth brass is great in a hilarious way.

By the way, this track should be titled "Send Us to the Olympics."

4888.jpg

This must rank as one of Jerry's most creative and fun scores. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Because I'm waiting for the new Gremlins 2 expansion, I decided to spin it again.

To remind me how great fun film music used to be. What a wonderfully zany selection of music.

A superb sounding release... now more than ever looking forward to hearing the new and improved sequel score.

Wyatt Earp by James Newton Howard

Treasure Planet by James Newton Howard

Lair by John Debney

Hella W. by Panu Aaltio