What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Captain Blood

Is there a decent re-recording around of the complete thing? All I have is the Marco Polo/Naxos album with suites from other Golden Age swashbucklers.

The Korngold one has had several releases and recordings, do we need another before the Kamen?

Actually, some of those Korngold swashbucklers are overdue for a decent Label release.

Indeed. One of the labels should do a re-recording series of all of Korngold's scores. After all he didn't compose so many during his time in Hollywood.

:music: The Maltese Falcon by Adolph Deutsch

Karol

Oooh I have only heard that score in the movie itself? Is it impressive on album?

It's not really the most striking apart from film, very typical suspense material of its era. But offers a nice background. I wasn't listening to the full score as such, just a Naxos compilation of Deutsch music (containing extensive suites from 5-6 scores of his).

$wm1_0x700_$_8557701_cov.jpg

Karol

Ah one of those old Marco Polo label albums that Naxos has now been re-releasing. I have to check that out some time.

Captain Blood

Is there a decent re-recording around of the complete thing? All I have is the Marco Polo/Naxos album with suites from other Golden Age swashbucklers.

That's by far the most complete one I know (and a fantastic recording - plus the album includes Young's gorgeous Scaramouche).

Other than that, there are a few recordings of the main titles, and Gerhardt's sublime Ship in the Night. Nothing else that I'm aware of, aside from the OST recording on Tsunami.

Indeed. One of the labels should do a re-recording series of all of Korngold's scores. After all he didn't compose so many during his time in Hollywood.

There've been a few partial ones, of course. Kojian's recordings of Robin Hood and Sea Hawk (both great, but limited by the running time of an LP), Morgan/Stromberg's complete versions of the same two plus Deception, Prince and the Pauper, Another Dawn and Escape Me Never,Mauceri's Between Two Worlds, Gamba's Sea Wolf (with Robin Hood suite) and Sea Hawk, Gerhardt's Kings Row, Davis' Elizabeth and Essex, Scott's Anthony Adverse and probably several I'm not aware of... there's really been a lot, and a large number of his scores have been covered (Sea Hawk seems to be a particular favourite - I've heard the overture live by several orchestras), but sadly few have turned their attention to Captain Blood.

It's also curious that for the three big swashbucklers (Blood, Hawk and Hood), the only somewhat regular release of the original recordings are the Tsunami discs.

Basic Instinct by Jerry Goldsmith

Munich by John Williams

Amistad by John Williams

Nixon by John Williams

Flesh + Blood by Basil Poledouris

John Williams - Jaws 2

Bloody hell! Why haven't I been listening to this score more in my life?

I'm not a HUGE fan of the original Jaws - I like it a lot, its a great score. But it's never been an all-time favorite of mine, never had a strong attachment to it or played it repeatedly over and over like I used to do with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and other Williams scores that I would put in my top 10. But shit, this score is awesome!

The original Jaws has a definite... "old" sound and feel to it. That's part of what has always left it a "lesser" score for me; I just prefer Williams sound from Star Wars forward, frankly. But Jaws 2, wow, its like he took the core elements from the original score, and then used them in a score that is completely in line with all the other huge hits of his 1977 -> 1984 unrivaled blockbuster era. This score is more in line with a Star Wars or Indiana Jones score than the original Jaws score. It's awesome! Some awesome action music here.

I want a specialty label to tackle this score more than ever now! Come on, Intrada!

PAPILLON - Jerry Goldsmith

A huge prestige movie back in its day - the worldwide grosses amounted to almost 90 Mio $ after some years in wide release, a king's ransom then - more or less relegated to late-night showings on cable channels now, PAPILLON tells the harrowing story of an indomitable man sentenced to lifelong work prison on French-Guyana, which actually means slowly dying away under the grisly conditions, and how he tries to escape his predicament.

Acted with brilliant understatement by Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman, the movie rolls out its main themes - slavery, freedom, adjustment, rebellion - as a caustic but heartwrenching tale of survival.

It's also the fourth collaboration of JG with Franklin Schaffner and as such, it sure has earned its place on - at the very least - AFI's 250 nominee list of greatest film scores of all time. Mostly absent for the first hour of the drama, the music gets more pronounced with McQueen's ever-more-stubborn escape attempts.

The famous sorrowful musette waltz for 'Papillon' (the McQueen character is nicknamed such) forms the backbone of the sparse score (40 minutes) and played together with that that unforgettable image of McQueen lying on a raft in the wide ocean, it's hard to shake off. But there are other ingredients as a grim chaconne that plays over images of the horrible french island colony (last 02:30 of the suite) and a halting motif for the harrowing conditions that often plays counterpoint to the waltz. There are big lyrical moments throughout that balance the oppressive atmosphere (two fierce 70's action cues portray futile, deadly escapes).

Also listen for a 90 second cue called 'Butterfly Hunt' that is Goldsmith's unique brand of impressionism that leads into a lyrical rendition of the main theme and is a timeless reminder why the man still is held in such esteem by his peers.

PAPILLON seems to have been made for Goldsmith: a male-domineered existentialist action-adventure movie with an underlying spirit of hope and most of the inner turmoil left unsaid - only to be filled by the music. It's a true achievement and should be mandatory for the FIRST KNIGHT/AIR FORCE ONE crowd. This is the composer in top form and it's one of his greatest - even Ennio Morricone singled it out once, and that should say something.

Papillon is one of JGs true masterpieces. Absolutely engrossing from start to finish. Collaborating with Shaffner always brought out the best in his music.

Battle Beyond The Stars

Fun score for a low budget sci-fi knock off of The Magnificent Seven. Made to cash in on the success of Star Wars.

Interestingly the score is far more "inspired" by Star Trek: The Motion Picture then Star Wars. Though the love theme in this score does quote a bridge section of Leia's The verbatim.

I'm frankly surprised that Paramount didn't send its legal team to adress the hilariously blatant ripoff of The Klingon Battle. What's especially fun is that Horner does a very obvious statement of it, then repeats that about a minute later with a statement thats even more obvious.....

Considering Horner was hired for TWOK because they wanted a different sound for that film always makes me chuckle.

The score is more the just a plagiarism special though.

It's rousing, adventurous, very well written and serves as the genesis to both TWOK and Krull.

Horners music has an infectious spirit and complexity that is beyond the meager orchestra hired to attempt and do it justice.

While the score is good enough to deserve a rerecording by a better orchestra. Actually hearing this one choking on tracks like Cowboy And The Jackers is hilarious and adds to the low rent feel that does permeate this score.

Its well written hack work, with shows promise and is fun to listen too, but also shows Horner's downsides as a composer. Something he never really escaped completely.

Perhaps this is why he did not want a legit CD release of it, citing "poor recording quality", which seems like the most polite way to say, its a score that pillaged several better scores, and was played by a shit orchestra....

Still....heaps of fun.

It is indeed, might be one of his very best actually.

After that, I listened to Standard Operating Procedure by Danny Elfman. Very underappreciated score that started his flirtation with Philip Glass-like writing (it bled into a lot of his work after that). It's also quite a curious music for its subject matter - it feels almost sardonic in its playfullness (I'm pretty sure that was the idea). It is clearly on my top 10 Elfman list.

Now listening to Return to Oz by David Shire

Karol

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. What a classic. I know what love is, because I can feel it for this. A nice reminder that I have a heart and a soul. What more could you ask from a score? I miss Danny Elfman.

Age of Ultron was good.

Well, his half anyway. Still the best theme of 2015 for me. It might not be the most masterful composition or anything. But, still, I literally can't get it out of my head.

Karol

He's a sellout to modern trends that's for sure. It's like when that hack Stravinsky ditched his relatable and fun ballet style in favor of uninteresting and imitative serial shit.

He was stepping into a situation where Brian Tyler has already recorded a lot of material. Of course, it would fit into the established "string ostinato/anvil clashing/minor mode/neo-MV" vibe. It has to. But, to me, it's very much Danny Elfman. And probably sounding even more heroic and swashbuckling than ever. I can remember him ever unleashing so much heroic brass. Like, ever.

Hey, I thought TGP liked the score?

Karol

I haven't heard any of the score on its own outside my theater viewing, but based on that one track Elfman did a good job manipulating Silvestri's theme, making the sound consistent with the MCU, and keeping his own sound intact. Well done.

It's really butchered in the film. For instance, only 45 of Elfman's opening track were used. Here's what it originally sounded like.

Karol