What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade by John Williams: It has been a while since I listened to this and there is such a good humoured sense of adventure to this music that is so entertaining and joyful. The action setpieces are all brilliant ballets in their own right and the new themes are simply spot on, capturing the personal emotional relationship of Indy and his father, the dastardly villains and the McGuffin with perfect ease.

Grand Piano by Victor Reyes

Still a nice score, though its over so fast!

SimCity: Cities of Tomorrow by Chris Tilton

Love the fun futuristic versions of his original cues! A nice pleasant listen, just like the first.

The Grand Budapest Hotel by Alexandre Desplat

Wacky, all over the place, but really neat and interesting. Fun score to a fun movie!

Just ended up listening to Star Trek Voyager's main theme about 5 times back to back at full blast on the way home from work. The Prague Philharmonic of all orchestras... SMASHED IT. Even better than the original Goldsmith recording! The best Star Trek theme imo. It is EPIC.

Just ended up listening to Star Trek Voyager's main theme about 5 times back to back at full blast on the way home from work. The Prague Philharmonic of all orchestras... SMASHED IT. Even better than the original Goldsmith recording! The best Star Trek theme imo. It is EPIC.

Its very very good!

Is that the one on the very first Space and Beyond? I love that one. And I have nothing against the Prague Philhamonic, there's a more reverb than on other recordings, but it's nothing that drives me up the wall.

Brick by Nathan Johnson

Johnson laid down the ground work for his more melodic material that he later wrote for The Brothers Bloom, but the awesome noir soundscape and subtle textures make this one worth revisiting from time to time. Works perfectly in the film.

The album sucks though. I need an expanded release.

YES!

I have no issue with the album's presentation. It's as solid as a Williams action score album can be.

Why settle for solid when it could be AWESOME!

AezF8p6.png

El Cid - Miklós Rózsa (1961)

A first listen that was long, LONG overdue (I'm still wondering why it took me so long to listen to it!). I'd like to thanks Inky for keeping on bringing that one up in this thread, else I would have probably never checked it.

What a majestic score. Absolutely awe-inspiring, with one of the finest main themes I've ever heard as well as splendid secondary themes, and downright epic music (god knows I hate the overuse of the word "epic", but here it is definitely justified!). The main theme easily entered in my Top 5 of film music themes. This is such an amazing piece of music. Each and every statement of that theme is a delight, whether it's the sorrowful variation at 01'02 in Banishment - Forgiveness, the triumphant quote at 01'30 in For Spain! - Farewell or even the heroic rendition at 02'03 in Battle Preparations - Starvation - Revolt (bloody love that one!). The other themes are just as good: the love theme is gorgeous, Ben Yussuf's theme is deliciously evil and the El Cid March is as uplifting as it gets in all its glorious pompousness.

The score is not flawless: it is, as many Golden Age scores, full of bombast, and that can make for an exhausting listen when you have that full-frontal orchestral assault going on and on for minutes and minutes (the last battle tracks in that regard can sometimes be a tough listen), and there are also some sequences that do little for me (the lengthy Count Gormaz - Courage & Honour - Gormaz' Death - Honour & Sorrow and Dolfo's Mission - Sancho's End for example) but these are minor nitpicks, as the rest of the score is so magnificent. Made an edit of the score to work around these nitpicks anyway (around 100 minutes long, so basically I shortened the score by about a third of its length), and what is left is pure bliss from start to finish.

Absolutely outstanding.

9.5/10

It is indeed BloodBoal the bee's knees. And I have also agree on that exhausting nature of the music as it is especially in those battle sequences such a powerful aural assault and keeps that energy level going for so long it might burn out all but the most ardent fans before long. Still as a whole 10/10 for me.

Quo Vadis and Julius Caesar would be good ones. And of course there is Ben-Hur.

I really enjoy the Tadlow re-recordings of Quo Vadis, El Cid and The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. I wish they did Ben-Hur some day as I would love to have that mammoth in the resounding sound quality the Tadlow recordings have.

Yeah, the recording and performance of El Cid is fantastic. They did an excellent job. Sounds like a completely different orchestra to the one who does rerecordings of HP, LOTR, etc.

The Prague Philharmonic Orchestra usually does when they are doing these re-recordings. I guess they put a lot more effort into those.

So, which Rosza should I listen to next? I guess Quo Vadis is the next logical step?

The Quo Vadis re-recording is also very good but it's no El Cid.

This is a brilliant two score album holding all the highlights and amazingly performed. Amazon link

613-VgNuoEL.jpg

937.jpg

I don't own too many Wojciech Kilar album, but this is one every music fan should have.

If you know Kilar from his work on Bram Stoker's Dracula, well it's not as dark or thematically chilling, but certainly worthy of your attention.

Just listen to this gorgeous track, a typical composition from the man that died two years or so ago.

Yeah, the recording and performance of El Cid is fantastic. They did an excellent job. Sounds like a completely different orchestra to the one who does rerecordings of HP, LOTR, etc.

The Prague Philharmonic Orchestra usually does when they are doing these re-recordings. I guess they put a lot more effort into those.

Maybe the Tadlow producers don't let them leave the room until the recording is pitch-perfect!

"Again! Faster! More intense! No! That wasn't good! Not quite my tempo! Let's start all over again! Come on! I want to hear your fingers bleed!"

So, which Rosza should I listen to next? I guess Quo Vadis is the next logical step?

It is a different kind of score really, not so much focused on war but the characters. With all the source styled diegetic music it is amazing how well it still flows and paints a whole musical world along the way. A masterful piece of music.

And regarding the performances of Tadlow re-recordings, they usually try to come close to the originals most of the time in terms of interpretation and tempi but they also take musicality to account like with The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes where e.g. Main Title is performed audibly slower than the version Rósza recorded for the film and it serves the music better. I think striking a balance between the faithfulness to the original and the inherent musicality of the re-recording is a good way to go as Tadlow usually does. Even in El Cid they use concert suite endings for certain cues because they are more musically apt or contain a better finish than the piece as written for the film would have had.

Any Rozsa is good, to be honest.

Speaking of Golden Age epics, check out Tadlow's recording of Franz Waxman's Taras Bulba. Stunning score and album.

Karol

The Prague Philharmonic Orchestra usually does when they are doing these re-recordings. I

guess they put a lot more effort into those.

Maybe the Tadlow producers don't let them leave the room until the recording is pitch-perfect!

"Again! Faster! More intense! No! That wasn't good! Not quite my tempo! Let's start all over again! Come on! I want to hear your fingers bleed!"

It is a different kind of score really, not so much focused on war but the characters. With all the source styled diegetic music it is amazing how well it still flows and paints a whole musical world along the way. A masterful piece of music.

And regarding the performances of Tadlow re-recordings, they usually try to come close to the originals most of the time in terms of interpretation and tempi but they also take musicality to account like with The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes where e.g. Main Title is performed audibly slower than the version Rósza recorded for the film and it serves the music better. I think striking a balance between the faithfulness to the original and the inherent musicality of the re-recording is a good way to go as Tadlow usually does. Even in El Cid they use concert suite endings for certain cues because they are more musically apt or contain a better finish than the piece as written for the film would have had.

Normally I loathe the Prague Phil performances with a passion.

They're vastly improved. Conan the Barbarian, The Salamander and El Cid sound better than the original recordings.

This is a brilliant two score album holding all the highlights and amazingly performed.

Nope, not without the brilliant Prelude to Second Part/The Road To Rome/The Burning of Rome, Woman's Quarters of Nero, Siciliana Antiqua, The Vision of Peter, and The Concert Suite (Romanza!).

BB If you can somehow get hold of it, you should check out the original Munich recording of El Cid, its not as big sounding (I personally prefer this recording, it has more spanish character), but it has pretty much all the highlights.

You are probably right (I'm no Rozsa expert), I was just saying it's definitely a great little set if you want to have two classics in a superb presentation.

And Quo Vadis is a much better listen (for me) in this 40 minutes release.

About El Cid, the Munich recording, is this the one your are referring to? Because I see it's from a japanese label.