What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Thats actually insulting! Spielberg descending into mushy sentimentality ala Hook for the first time and "tunemeister" Johnny Williams obliging him by sticking a syrupy arrangement of a Disney song in his otherwise masterful effort!

I have always found it interesting that as wonderful as the entire score is, the 5-note motif gets all the glory when in fact it appears only as part of the finale. E.T. follows much the same dramatic build-up musically and audiences usually only vaguely remember bicycles flying over moon (or rather the sun) from the finale and clearly recall the huge emotional and brilliant music from that section, not so much the gentle and suspenseful score of the first 2 acts, the big thematic finale sequence overshadowing the rest of the superb score.

Thats actually insulting! Spielberg descending into mushy sentimentality ala Hook for the first time and "tunemeister" Johnny Williams obliging him by sticking a syrupy arrangement of a Disney song in his otherwise masterful effort!

I think it might have been in an old Total Film magazine (its debut issue) where Williams was interviewed and stated that that precise musical moment in Close Encounters was one of his personal favourites and one he was most proud of, whilst just before reiterating that he rarely returns to his older works.

Seventh Son - Marco Beltrami

The first Beltrami in my collection, and it makes for a much better listening experience outside the film. Beltrami takes inspiration from Horner and Williams, as well as Ilan Eshkeri's Stardust (the villainous motif has a similar percussion line) -- but he turns it around and makes it his own. The last two cues ("End Credits" and "The Spook's Apprentice") are simply wonderful... it's not often we get end credit suites. Very punchy and vibrant recording by John Kurlander, so that's another plus.

The only quibble I have is that it's a problem with many other Varese releases... it is too long. There's hardly any bitty tracks, but cut out 20-30 minutes and you'd have a fantastic listening experience.

I've just searched the interview (http://www.jw-collection.de/misc/interview/total.htm) and I'm mistaken in saying it was there that he said that exact thing about Close Encounters. So now I need to find the quote because it'll do my head in if I don't...

John Williams has often stated when asked to name one favourite among his own works that that Close Encounters is special in his mind, not only for that particular moment as a whole piece.

Any recommendations to broaden my familiarity with John Powell beyond the dragons and a handful of superhero things I already know? His output isn't that large to begin with I figure, but is there anything that seems particularly up my alley?

Hmmm....i honestly never connected your precious musical tastes with someone as surface-bubbly as Powell. Apart from the ADHS kiddie stuff i think one should enjoy FACE/OFF, PAYCHECK (great little score) and the three BOURNE's (which you probably know).

Given your love of more static textures i guess UNITED 93, too.

Surprising or not, I am very fond of what I know of his, which as I said is pretty much limited to the dragon films, the third X-Men, and Hancock. The Bourne stuff, for all its apparent influence, remains mostly unheard.

I am really quite fond of ROAD TO EL DORADO. You of course need to dig up one of tose recording sessions to get a good selection of cues but it's a good mixture on par with KUNG FU PANDA.

CHRISTOPHER YOUNG - Hellraiser

One of my best-loved gothic scores full of bombastic grand guignol declamations, macabre waltzes, and also quite advanced musique concréte that makes this score a pieces of the late 20th century - a distinction that elevates it above simple pastiche (or make that two, the second part is even better). I think Young often is unfairly relegated to the backseat behind Danny Elfman, who is maybe more recognizable due to his more idiosyncratic bag of tricks but also a less trained/skilled composer. Young is here able to unleash quite a musical fire that will remain his magnum opus that should appeal to fans and academics alike.

Olivier Derivière - Remember Me

Fun, unique music, gotta listen to this more

Marc Timón Barceló - Coliseum: Games of Rome

Awesome stuff, that Exotic Dances from Egypt track is a winner

Michael Giacchino - LOST Season 1

Michael Giacchino - LOST Season 2

Michael Giacchino - LOST Season 3

Michael Giacchino - LOST Season 4

Michael Giacchino - LOST Season 5

Michael Giacchino - LOST Season 6

Michael Giacchino - LOST Season 6 - The Final Episodes

You know, I dunno if I can listen to the final disc of this 10 disc saga at work any more. It's so emotional! All those character themes, all returning for their final triumphant variation. Such an amazing disc of film music.

Moving On - crying-fountain.gif

I am really quite fond of ROAD TO EL DORADO. You of course need to dig up one of tose recording sessions to get a good selection of cues but it's a good mixture on par with KUNG FU PANDA.

One of my best-loved gothic scores full of bombastic grand guignol declamations, macabre waltzes, and also quite advanced musique concréte that makes this score a pieces of the late 20th century - a distinction that elevates it above simple pastiche (or make that two, the second part is even better). I think Young often is unfairly relegated to the backseat behind Danny Elfman, who is maybe more recognizable due to his more idiosyncratic bag of tricks but also a less trained/skilled composer. Young is here able to unleash quite a musical fire that will remain his magnum opus that should appeal to fans and academics alike.

I've never heard that one. Young has always been difficult for me to get into though The Core and Creation helped change that.

Just re-listened to Michael Giacchino's score for "John Carter." I had to watch the movie again after listening to it, and the movie was also better than I remembered.

Michael Giacchino - LOST Season 1

Michael Giacchino - LOST Season 2

Michael Giacchino - LOST Season 3

Michael Giacchino - LOST Season 4

Michael Giacchino - LOST Season 5

Michael Giacchino - LOST Season 6

Michael Giacchino - LOST Season 6 - The Final Episodes

You know, I dunno if I can listen to the final disc of this 10 disc saga at work any more. It's so emotional! All those character themes, all returning for their final triumphant variation. Such an amazing disc of film music.

Moving On - crying-fountain.gif

It seems like some of the best music is in last season, when I finally finish watching the show, I have to listen to the score for the last season.

The Nightmare Before Christmas :music:

I've given this a few more listens to let my opinion ferment. All in all, it's a really fun listening experience. The sections of orchestral underscore aren't nearly as uniquely appealing as the songs. Though this could be seen as a positive, as it helps give the songs more prominence and allows for some breathing room.

Young deserves more big films coming his way. He's mostly relegated to horror films. While he's fantastic at them (especially Hellraiser), it's typecasting. When he gets a prime studio film like The Core or Spider-Man 3 he usually delivers big time on those.

It should be interesting to hear his score for Doctor Strange next year.

Young deserves more big films coming his way. He's mostly relegated to horror films. While he's fantastic at them (especially Hellraiser), it's typecasting. When he gets a prime studio film like The Core or Spider-Man 3 he usually delivers big time on those.

It should be interesting to hear his score for Doctor Strange next year.

…that hasn't been confirmed anywhere yet….

I'm very fond of this one. There is real personality and elegance in this one. The second one I do find a bit over the top. Still very enjoyable, but not as inebriating as this one

It has really been a blueprint for a lot of horror scores following. And again, with Young musically less incriminating folks tend to overlook the wild stuff he does beyond tonal. And with a vengeance, cf. NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 2, THE VAGRANT and so on.

Michael Giacchino - Inside Out

Now it's on german Spotify i gave it another listen. My final verdict remains: there is a strong voice leavened with a delightful sense of fun whenever Giacchino is allowed these tuneful, cheery little vignettes that spotlight several single instruments starting with the main theme (also the linked above is a wonderful tarantella-like piece). it's where the composer most comfortably seems to belong, musically.

In that sense it's almost like a Peanuts-score. Though for a satisfying dramatic arc (it's almost an hour long) the whole thing slacks when the score is called to deliver more poignant moments as the story unfolds. All the fun you have with wacky stuff like 'Chasing the Pink Elephant' or the aptly named 'Abstract Thought', it never coalesces into a bigger picture and remains sketchy.

But when there is a resolution as as remote as the pen-ultimate 'Joy turns to Sadness', it feels like the harmless rambunctiousness has no deeper reason to exist but for it's own sake. Given what the movie is about that seems a bit slim. See it that way: a composer like James Horner probably would have slacked more in the goofy music department - he often would resort to barely hidden Elfman-isms in his own children scores for that - but you could bet that the whole thing would have an emotional core that is a bit lacking here. Still, if you just love to add some catchy pieces to your collection, about 20 minutes of this are a welcome addition for 2015.

Any recommendations to broaden my familiarity with John Powell beyond the dragons and a handful of superhero things I already know? His output isn't that large to begin with I figure, but is there anything that seems particularly up my alley?

Hmmm....i honestly never connected your precious musical tastes with someone as surface-bubbly as Powell. Apart from the ADHS kiddie stuff i think one should enjoy FACE/OFF, PAYCHECK (great little score) and the three BOURNE's (which you probably know).

Given your love of more static textures i guess UNITED 93, too.

Surprising or not, I am very fond of what I know of his, which as I said is pretty much limited to the dragon films, the third X-Men, and Hancock. The Bourne stuff, for all its apparent influence, remains mostly unheard.

Start with...

The Bourne Ultimatum

Chicken Run

Horton Hears A Who!

Knight & Day

Kung Fu Panda

Paycheck

I've never heard that one. Young has always been difficult for me to get into though The Core and Creation helped change that.

How many times do I have to tell you to listen to The Shipping News and Haunted Summer?

Monsignor (Intrada 2007)

Tracks 1,2 and 4 are about the only ones I really like. The track 'Gloria' nearly kills my enjoyment of those tracks. :pfft:

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (MCA 1996)

Ah, this is much better... This expansion is just as good as the 40 minute album. A bit more filler, but it's superb filler ! :lovethis:

The Nightmare Before Christmas :music:

I've given this a few more listens to let my opinion ferment. All in all, it's a really fun listening experience. The sections of orchestral underscore aren't nearly as uniquely appealing as the songs. Though this could be seen as a positive, as it helps give the songs more prominence and allows for some breathing room.

I ignored the music for about 20 years, I had heard it once or twice when it came out then I dismissed it for a reason only god knows why.

I bought the CD cheap about a year ago. It's one of the few Elfmans I really love. The songs, Sally's theme, and Elfman's vocal performance being its main attractions.

Some neat footage of rehearsals for the October 2010 The Two Towers presentation at Radio City. Featuring a good chunk of my favorite cue from the trilogy.

Wicki has a really bizarre, hectic way of conducting. Obviously it works, but it's strange to me.

Seems rather mechanical. Dynamics and tempi are often off.

Nice to hear the bells come out in the Gandalf the White passage though.

I'd love to hear TTT and RotK live one day. Alas all we got was FotR when Tampere Filharmonia bravely took up the challenge but there hasn't been any word of them or any other orchestra doing the sequels.

Track down the complete version - it was released in the Elfman/Burton boxset. It's really something special!