What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I listened to the Elfman 1998 recording of Psycho (the last recording by Elfman I can stand to listen to) 4 times and Masters of the Universe Bill Conti complete score 5 times.

Ant-Man - Christophe Beck

Don't get the hype for this one, it is OK I guess but nothing worth writing home about. Not sure what I would want to revisit from this one to be honest. It is mostly just loud and lacks cohesiveness. Guess I will give it another try just because of the hype another day.

Rogue Nation - Joe Kraemer

Much better, a tad much suspense material for me though so will have to make my own presentation. Probably one of the action scores of the year. Fine recording.

The Vatican Tapes - Joseph Bishara

Hard to even get through. Not a JWFan score, maybe the score of the year for some necrophile out there (feels like something they would listen to).

I am really quite fond of ROAD TO EL DORADO. You of course need to dig up one of tose recording sessions to get a good selection of cues but it's a good mixture on par with KUNG FU PANDA.

CHRISTOPHER YOUNG - Hellraiser

One of my best-loved gothic scores full of bombastic grand guignol declamations, macabre waltzes, and also quite advanced musique concréte that makes this score a pieces of the late 20th century - a distinction that elevates it above simple pastiche (or make that two, the second part is even better). I think Young often is unfairly relegated to the backseat behind Danny Elfman, who is maybe more recognizable due to his more idiosyncratic bag of tricks but also a less trained/skilled composer. Young is here able to unleash quite a musical fire that will remain his magnum opus that should appeal to fans and academics alike.

…that hasn't been confirmed anywhere yet….

Scott Derrickson was able to retain Young on a Jerry Bruckheimer movie (Deliver Us From Evil) -- and that guy's notorious for 'forcing' composers on directors. Marvel is getting better at allowing directors more leeway... Christophe Beck reunited with Peyton Reed on Ant-Man, for one.

I think it's likely Young will score Doctor Strange.

Inherent Vice - Jonny Greenwood

It might actually be a "JWFan" score, with its rich tonality, melody, and orchestration, but maybe that's too optimistic of me.

Ex Machina - Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow

Not a JWFan score.

51SWxPE3PcL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It was oh-kay...

I mean, I know nothing about this movie so I can't comment on how well the score was written for the film. But as a standalone listening experience it was pleasant enough.

Will give it a re-listen in the near future!

Priest - Christopher Young

Listening to this while watching muted video from the Batman v. Superman site. It makes a good pairing with Snyder's visuals, believe it or not. Has some superficial Zimmer-esque qualities, like the synth usage and few cello passages, but the thematic material much better developed and the glorious Gothic passages in the opening cue are pure Batman in concept.

Priest - Christopher Young

Listening to this while watching muted video from the Batman v. Superman site. It makes a good pairing with Snyder's visuals, believe it or not. Has some superficial Zimmer-esque qualities, like the synth usage and few cello passages, but the thematic material much better developed and the glorious Gothic passages in the opening cue are pure Batman in concept.

Very enjoyable score. Though I don't return to it too often due to the unrelenting force of it all.

Sounds good. And Desplat is even a performer on the score!

He's done it on a few of his Hollywood scores as well! I know he's credited as a flute, piano, and percussion soloist on Deathly Hallows: Part 1 and I seem to remember he did the whistling on Fantastic Mr Fox. There are probably other examples too.

DANNY ELFMAN: Goosebumps

In one word: no.

"Danny Elfman" has simply become a brand name for "dark and quirky" that studios hire for these types of projects.

He doesn't deliver anything remarkable. Just the same "lalalalalala!" over and over.

To me, the TV theme is the musical identity of Goosebumps.

Sounds good. And Desplat is even a performer on the score!

Label release, please!

EDIT: Hey, some of it is on Youtube:

Sounds like decent Desplat. Not sure if there's anything to get really excited about.

"Danny Elfman" has simply become a brand name for "dark and quirky" that studios hire for these types of projects.

He doesn't deliver anything remarkable. Just the same "lalalalalala!" over and over.

I can't stand to listen to any of his work since his adaptation of Psycho. That was 1998. And not his music.

He obviously peaked at the beginning of his film career with scores like Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Batman, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

There are, of course, the loons who claim that his 2000s scores (you know, the ones that are like impossible to listen to) are superior to his earlier work.

Marianelli was attached to this? Damn, that could have been interesting!

Been a rough year for him, hasn't it?

There are, of course, the loons who claim that his 2000s scores (you know, the ones that are like impossible to listen to) are superior to his earlier work.

His Spider-Man 2 score is enjoyable... but as you hated the Raimi movies, I guess there's no point arguing otherwise.

His hybrid Silvestri "Avengers" theme was good too, but I guess that's not to your liking either.

I sadly can't put these in my thread about Marty and my other video game composer crushes, but Bungie veteran Michael Salvatori is certainly leading the team strongly in his absence. Great stuff.

Those first two skillfully walk the line between familiar and fresh. Writing in that sort of simple tonal territory, but being able to avoid cliche and boringness, is something I'm becoming convinced is one of the strongest musical powers a composer can have.

I can't stand to listen to any of his work since his adaptation of Psycho. That was 1998. And not his music.

He obviously peaked at the beginning of his film career with scores like Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Batman, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

I rather think his work became boring and repetitive in 2005. I remember before then thinking he was a genius who could do no wrong. Those days are far behind.

I did like The Wolfman and Alice in Wonderland, but just barely.