What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Oh please. I hope he's had the "inspiring" stars wiped out of his eyes over the last few years and will do something this election season that's *actually* to the benefit of his country.

He already composed the score for the Goosebumps. Can you ask for more from one man?

Sicario by Jóhann Jóhansson: I can imagine this working very well in the film but as a listening experience it offers a scant few pleasures. There is a slow burning sense of dread and unease to almost all of this music, which is very effective, but it is not music made for a pleasant listen and in that it certainly excels. Despite there being an effective heart beat suspense rhythm going on during several tracks and a few moments of impressive angry brassy growls here and there, most of this music does not go anywhere, repeating small cells of material or and wafting through the air as atmospheric ambience which I can't imagine I would revisit very often for pure pleasure, no matter its effectiveness in conjuring the feelings of unease for the movie.

It registers as something different from the majority of the content of the album but it is not a bounty of musical treasures.

Sure it is! Just not of the type you prefer.

We've moved from the hyper-romantic era of film music to the impressionist/minimalist one, just as the history of classical music itself evolved. Obvious musical narratives and "traditional" stylings as necessities is a thing of the past, get over it people!

Sure it is! Just not of the type you prefer.

We've moved from the hyper-romantic era of film music to the impressionistic/minimalist one, just as the history of classical music itself evolved. Obvious musical narratives and "traditional" stylings as necessities is a thing of the past, get over it people!

:lol:

It's also a bit of a curious statement. As if now all and every music that is somehow wafting away in the backgrounds is part of a new avantgarde. Hacks of the world will be delighted to hear this!

It's also a bit of a curious statement. As if now all and every music that is somehow wafting away in the backgrounds is part of a new avantgarde. Hacks of the world will be delighted to hear this!

Not what I said! Shitty music is still shitty music….

Rosewood by John Williams

Listened to this last night as well.

Band of Brothers & From the Earth to the Moon - Michael Kamen (plus many others for the latter)

Love this scene.

No, it's the great melting pot, the true evolution of every musical style since film is the ultimate art form. All should be welcome, whatever their approach or medium. There's room enough. I'll happy enjoy many diverse things while you lot whine and huff and puff!

I wish the extra-terrestrials who abducted Danny Elfman and Tim Burton in the 90s would return them to us and take back their shitty replacements.

They can keep Burton.

Just saying.

U.S. Marshals by Jerry Goldsmith: A middling action/suspense outing from late-90s shares some of its motivic DNA with the concurrent Star Trek Insurrection but depletes the energy of its main motif thoroughly in the 30 minutes of the album's running time. The ticking metallic echoey synth effects are staple 90s Goldsmith and combined with the edgy piano thumping actually work quite effectively creating a propulsive tension filled mood that drives the suspense forward. The forceful action music itself pummels the listener with endless repetitions of the short main thematic motto on brass, percussion and strings but as a testament to Goldsmith's skills at dramatist the theme undeniably feels like it has come a full circle in the redemptively calm final rendition in Free to go. Solid 3-3½ star material.

I've warmed to US MARSHALS over the years. It's blunt and to-the-point but it's also - within the narrow paramters set by late 90's action idioms - surprisingly unique: you are not really going to confuse it with another score, either by Goldsmith or his peers. Given how interchangable a lot of other composer's stuff is in that department, it is actually quite good.

As I said above the steely suspense music appeals to me the most in the score which is what made me purchase it in the first place.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Nation :music:

Not really doing much for me. Perhaps it just has yet to "click". I do look forward to what Kraemer does next.

Oh, you mean Rogue Protocol?

My JW's Top 6 of the 2000 & 2010 years

- Lincoln

- The Book Thief

- War Horse

- Tintin

- Memoirs of a Geisha

- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

themartian5.jpg?w=316&h=316&crop=1

When the track record of this director (and composer) almost kept me off listening to this Spotify thankfully put this in my inbox and i am rather enjoying it. MISSION TO MARS it ain't but when you're over its rather conventional musical design (Zimmer, Mansell, Horner et al.) you are left with a well-constructed piece that runs from playful to pathos rather enjoyably.

I completely forgot to check out that score. Thanks for reminding me.

When the track record of this director (and composer) almost kept me off listening to this Spotify thankfully put this in my inbox and i am rather enjoying it. MISSION TO MARS it ain't but when you're over its rather conventional musical design (Zimmer, Mansell, Horner et al.) you are left with a well-constructed piece that runs from playful to pathos rather enjoyably.

I found it anonymous at first, began to think I would like it after listening a bit more, and have returned to not being interested. It's doodling.

I found it anonymous at first, began to think I would like it after listening a bit more, and have returned to not being interested. It's doodling.

But not noodling? Because doodling I can take, noodling is something I can't stand.

Star Trek and the Final Frontier :music:

Thinking about getting one of the expanded edition of this. What's the lyrical/action music ratio in the new material? Because if it's largely the latter, then I might pass on it.