What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Danny Elfman - Avengers: Age of Ultron

Maybe someday I'll listen to Tyler's contributions to the OST. Meanwhile I've probably listened to Elfman's a dozen times. Good stuff. I'd love a recording sessions leak. The main theme always sounds nice in each track its used in.

Currently listening to Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace complete/near-complete edit.

It's entertaining. But it just doesn't feel like Star Wars to me. I hear a lot of similarities to Hook and other scores from that era. Maybe I shouldn't have listened to Empire Strikes Back before this one.

Its more "Star Wars-y" than AOTC or ROTS, but its still not "Star Wars-y" like the original trilogy is, or the new score will likely be. Complete edits are superior to either officicial release, but an edit that removes some of the most boring underscore and all those source pieces would be even better. Also, I like it when Star Wars scores end with a REALLY strong finale cue, like TESB or AOTC, and not with a source-y kind of gimmick cue, like ROTJ and TPM.

Danny Elfman - Goosebumps

Wow! This was a lot of fun! It starts to lose steam a bit towards the end of the main program, but I think thats mostly because its so action heavy, not balanced enough. I'm in the bonus track section now, and there's a lot of nice underscore here! Looking forward to re-listening to this in chrono order!

Really liked it? It's fun, but hardly anything to get excited about. It's lacking a strong main theme, for one. It's among the best that 2015 has to offer, but wouldn't even make a top 100 list of all scores ever made, or a top 15 of Silvestri

My favorite scores of 2015

1. Mission Impossible Rogue Nation

2 Tomorrowland

3 Inside Out

4 Jupiter Ascending

5 Jurassic World

6 Wolf Totem

7 Age of Ultron (Danny's parts - still haven't listened to Tyler's!)

8 The Walk

9 Pan

10 Fifty Shades of Grey

Only those first 7 scores I've listened to a dozen times or more. The others are good scores that warranted a few listens but don't get me super excited. The Walk is really fun, though. Pan maybe I'll like more once I see if the film.

Still a lot more I need to hear, like Living In The Age of Airplanes, Southpaw, The 33, Star Wars, In The Heart of the Sea, Crimson Peak, The Good Dinosaur, Goosebumps, Spectre, probably others

I've also heard Ant-Man, Man from UNCLE, Spy, Kingsman, and Bridge of Spies, and none of were anything special to me, but I plan on giving each another chance soon for sure.

Just realized something: you didn't include The Seventh Son!

EDIT: Oh, OK, that's a 2014 score. Didn't realize that, since the film was released in 2015 in most countries.

Well I don't like the artsy fartsy dilettantes who cherry pick scores to like based on what they feel they're expected to like (which is the reason so many revere this one), but at least this is good.

It's the same crowd who put on their furs to go to the symphony because they're so fucking cultured and refined, to the point where it doesn't matter if they have any interest in what they're hearing, only that they're doing something "important." If only we could all be on that level.

"Yes, I love film music! The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly, The Godfather, and Psycho are my favorites! And isn't Citizen Kane just the best film of all time? It's so profound."

If there was ever a film score that deserved massive iconic status, it's that one. Weed killer commercials don't riff on it because it's seen as this all important piece of film music. It's because it's the essence of cool.

Lord of the Flies by Philippe Sarde

That one is pretty much a Rite of Spring adaptaion. But I like, nonetheless

Yes that can't escape notice while listening. I liked the idea of employing a boys choir to illustrate the origin of the main characters and the Rite does give it a nice allusion to the savagery of earlier times the boys soon revert to on the island in the story.

Well I don't like the artsy fartsy dilettantes who cherry pick scores to like based on what they feel they're expected to like (which is the reason so many revere this one), but at least this is good.

It's the same crowd who put on their furs to go to the symphony because they're so fucking cultured and refined, to the point where it doesn't matter if they have any interest in what they're hearing, only that they're doing something "important." If only we could all be on that level.

"Yes, I love film music! The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly, The Godfather, and Psycho are my favorites! And isn't Citizen Kane just the best film of all time? It's so profound."

Full of vim and verve today aren't we. ;)

Its more "Star Wars-y" than AOTC or ROTS, but its still not "Star Wars-y" like the original trilogy is, or the new score will likely be. Complete edits are superior to either officicial release, but an edit that removes some of the most boring underscore and all those source pieces would be even better. Also, I like it when Star Wars scores end with a REALLY strong finale cue, like TESB or ROTS, and not with a source-y kind of gimmick cue, like ROTJ and TPM.

You mention really strong Star Wars finales, and leave out Attack of the Clones? :huh: See what you did? You made me go and use an emoji!

Attack of the Clones indeed has the best finale after Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. :)

And the most distinctive action music in prequel trilogy.

And the best theme in the prequel trilogy.

There, I said all that.

Karol

Attack of the Clones indeed has the best finale after Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. :)

And the most distinctive action music in the prequel trilogy.

I agree with these statements!

Sorry but DOTF is still a better theme.

The thing about DOTF that it is more of a concert arrangement of one cue, rather than a theme of its own. It's very much like The Adventures of Mutt, The Forest Battle, The Adventure Continues in that respect. The only different is that it does contain a theme that is used elsewhere. And that theme is really good indeed. Not sure if the best, though.

Karol

It's a concert arrangement of a theme from the underscore. The theme is used throughout the entire third act of the picture, and reprised in AOTC and ROTS.

It's not like the Forest Battle and those others you mentioned.

I always thought of DOTF as a combination of three different ideas, two of which are actually recurring in the score. But it's also its own thing when they play all at once. In that sense, it is very much like The Forest Battle (which contains recurring Ewok theme) The choral bit itself is specific pretty much only to the duel scene. I don't think the reprise in Revenge of the Sith really counts (yeah, I know the chorus was newly recorded). And that statement in Attack of the Clones is very bizarre, probably due to temp track love. So I don't think really think they mean all that much (sort of like Nazgul theme in The Hobbit).

This is how I see it anyway, not forcing anyone to agree. Just explaining why Duel of the Fates isn't a satisfying "major theme" to me in the end. The concert piece remains, of course, very memorable. But I could never quite figure out what it was meant to represent and why was it used all over the Naboo battle (not that I'm complaining). I was hoping it would be used as a recurring "fate/ancient prophecy" theme all across prequel trilogy (the AOTC statement would then make sense) but it proved not to be the case. Disappointing, really. Same goes for Anakin's theme.

Karol

I always thought of DOTF as a combination of three different ideas, two of which are actually recurring in the score. But it's also its own thing when they play all at once. In that sense, it is very much like The Forest Battle (which contains recurring Ewok theme) The choral bit itself is specific pretty much only to the duel scene. I don't think the reprise in Revenge of the Sith really counts (yeah, I know the chorus was newly recorded). And that statement in Attack of the Clones is very bizarre, probably due to temp track love. So I don't think really think they mean all that much (sort of like Nazgul theme in The Hobbit).

This is how I see it anyway, not forcing anyone to agree. Just explaining why Duel of the Fates isn't a satisfying "major theme" to me in the end. The concert piece remains, of course, very memorable. But I could never quite figure out what it was meant to represent and why was it used all over the Naboo battle (not that I'm complaining). I was hoping it would be used as a recurring "fate/ancient prophecy" theme all across prequel trilogy (the AOTC statement would then make sense) but it proved not to be the case. Disappointing, really. Same goes for Anakin's theme.

Karol

It is another great theme never fully used in the Prequel trilogy and given a few token appearances after the Phantom Menace to give tenuous links between the films. JW could have mined so much dramatic gold from the tri-part construction of the ostinato, the long lined melody and chorus motif. I would have loved to have heard some kind of extension or continous development of Duel of the Fates in RotS duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Much like the first Hobbit score, a lot of ideas are set up that we all thought would be elaborated on and contnue throughout the whole trilogy, but didn't.

At least with The Hobbit, the Thorin, Erebor, Woodland Realm, and Smaug themes WERE expanded greatly in the sequel scores.

But then the Bilbo, Company, Journey, Radagast, Gandalf, Beorn (before the 2 film split) themes just weren't....

It's still kind of more of a shame that Anakin's Theme wasn't than any of those, though.

I dunno. The History of the Ring Theme statements in The Hobbit kind of sound appropriately "before" the LOTR counterparts.

The Sauron/Mordor stuff kinda started out that way, but then got big and grand in the second film anyway.

But then other stuff was just flat out gimmicky cameos, like the Fellowship Theme in BOFA, or Gandalf's Fireworks, or Elven Healing

It's not a versatile film, but I still love it.

Across The Stars is perfectly great too, of course.

I know you have said that you don't get into ROTS much, but I love what that score does to that theme.

It's not a versatile film, but I still love it.

Across The Stars is perfectly great too, of course.

I know you have said that you don't get into ROTS much, but I love what that score does to that theme.

Yup. It actually felt nice to hear Williams reworking a theme across two films, a rare treat with the Prequels. A lot of one film themes and motifs in those.

If I ever do an extended edition (not to improve the film, because it obviously wouldn't) edit of the Prequels, I am going to have someone write music for the added scenes and the scenes with tracked music and try to establish more continuity.

How is Waxman's Rebecca? I remeber when I watched the film a while ago for the first time that the music was rather melodramatic in the typical Golden Age style.

I heartily recommend you to check out Christopher Gunning's version for the British 1997 film, which was recently released by the Caldera Records. You can find my small review of it on Films on Wax site.

You can also read my extensive thoughts on Rózsa's Sodom and Gomorrah there. *Shameless self-promotion over*. ;)

In celebration of my 20,000th post on this board, I'm listening to...

...the Academy Award winning score from Brokeback Mountain by Gustavo Santaolalla!

Karol

:rimshot:

What an anticlimax man!